ACC Regular Season 2023-24 | Page 18 | The Boneyard

ACC Regular Season 2023-24

Reaction Score
At the end of the regular season, I figured it would be ND's tournament to lose. Ivey made history today, first black female coach to win a ACC championship. (regular seasons don't count)
Interestingly, last year, ND won the reg season, and Va Tech won the ACCT, this year the roles were reversed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Other than the 2021 tournament (surgery) this was the first tournament I've missed in Greensboro since 2009.... and this year they have the highest attendance since . 2009. Apparently the word got out that I wouldn't be there :oops:

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Other than the 2021 tournament (surgery) this was the first tournament I've missed in Greensboro since 2009.... and this year they have the highest attendance since . 2009. Apparently the word got out that I wouldn't be there :oops:

giphy.gif
@Triad, sending get well wishes to you. Stay well, stay safe!

Reaction Score
Congrats Irish.

2nd place regular season, 2nd place in the tourney. Wes’ group was consistent.

Hopefully the ACC makes some noise in the big dance. Well let’s actually hope Chapel Hill gets blown out by 50 first round and everyone else is in the sweet 16!

Reaction Score
While in the throws of arguably their worst season ever, Notre Dame lost in the first round of the ACC Tournament, fast forward 4 years later, and they are the champs again. Congrats Niele and company!

Reaction Score
Not sold on Banghart at all and the jury is still out on Lawson imo.

According to her official NC bio page "Banghart, honored by Fortune Magazine in 2015 as one of the World's 50 Greatest Leaders". One of the 50 greatest leaders in the WORLD?!! Nothing personal but REALLY?!!

On the eve of tournament selection Banghart has completed 5 seasons thus far:
Year #1 16-14/7-11 lost to WF 1st round ACC tournament
Year #2 13-11/8-9 lost to WF 1st round ACC tournament
Year #3 25-7/13-5 lost to VT 1st game played in ACC tournament, upset AZ in 2nd rd of NCAA, lost to SC in Sweet 16
Year #4 22-11/11-7 lost Quarterfinal to Duke in ACC tournament, lost 2nd round in NCAA to Ohio St.
Year #5 19-12/11-7 lost to Miami 1st game played in ACC tournament, NCAA awaits.

Overall record regular season: 91-48/50-39 (65%/56%)
ACC tournament record: 1-5 (16.7%)
NCAA tournament record 3-2 (60%)
Great recruiter but not really seeing the results.
2019 recruits: #27,#44,#65
2020 recruits: #10,#49,#98
2021 recruits: #9,#17,#18,#20
2022 recruits: #27
2023 recruits: #4,#30,#90
2024 recruits* : #30,#68 *possibly #1

Her best year so far was 2021/22 when they reached the Sweet 16 - although I felt Arizona was over-ranked at the time and I was not surprised by the "upset". That 2021 class should really be hitting their stride this year but I haven't seen it. It's all about match-ups but I don't see them getting past the 2nd round. Her position is secure for the forseeable future(especially if she lands Strong) but with Stanford coming in next year - and the ACC opponents who finished ahead of her this year likely to do so again next year - and the looming possibility of an exodus of players into the portal - things don't look so rosy.

Reaction Score
Not sold on Banghart at all and the jury is still out on Lawson imo.

According to her official NC bio page "Banghart, honored by Fortune Magazine in 2015 as one of the World's 50 Greatest Leaders". One of the 50 greatest leaders in the WORLD?!! Nothing personal but REALLY?!!

On the eve of tournament selection Banghart has completed 5 seasons thus far:
Year #1 16-14/7-11 lost to WF 1st round ACC tournament
Year #2 13-11/8-9 lost to WF 1st round ACC tournament
Year #3 25-7/13-5 lost to VT 1st game played in ACC tournament, upset AZ in 2nd rd of NCAA, lost to SC in Sweet 16
Year #4 22-11/11-7 lost Quarterfinal to Duke in ACC tournament, lost 2nd round in NCAA to Ohio St.
Year #5 19-12/11-7 lost to Miami 1st game played in ACC tournament, NCAA awaits.

Overall record regular season: 91-48/50-39 (65%/56%)
ACC tournament record: 1-5 (16.7%)
NCAA tournament record 3-2 (60%)
Great recruiter but not really seeing the results.
2019 recruits: #27,#44,#65
2020 recruits: #10,#49,#98
2021 recruits: #9,#17,#18,#20
2022 recruits: #27
2023 recruits: #4,#30,#90
2024 recruits* : #30,#68 *possibly #1

Her best year so far was 2021/22 when they reached the Sweet 16 - although I felt Arizona was over-ranked at the time and I was not surprised by the "upset". That 2021 class should really be hitting their stride this year but I haven't seen it. It's all about match-ups but I don't see them getting past the 2nd round. Her position is secure for the forseeable future(especially if she lands Strong) but with Stanford coming in next year - and the ACC opponents who finished ahead of her this year likely to do so again next year - and the looming possibility of an exodus of players into the portal - things don't look so rosy.
That Fortune list was about 10 years ago. What's listed on her profile is no different than a player listing the fact they were a 5-star recruit or a top ranked player as part of their profile. It's simply an accolade that "looks good" to build out her resume for the fanbase.

Reaction Score
I think Bangart has easily done well enough to not get fired.
I agree. Im disappointed a little in their progression the past two seasons but they are a good program. They've been competitive the last three seasons. I respect a sweet 16 appearance. and if they were to win one more game that's 3 20 win seasons. Also it takes coaches awhile sometimes to develop into like a powerhouse. I think Dawn Staley's first five years at SC r eerily similar. Sweet 16 appearance, second round, wnit appearance. Not saying she's the next Dawn but it takes time.

Reaction Score
I think Bangart has easily done well enough to not get fired.
I never said anything about her getting fired. I even said her position was secure for the forseeable future. I believe she is a "good" coach but not a "great" coach. If your program has aspirations of winning a national championship - or at least being in the conversation in the future - then I don't think she's going to get them there. She has done less with more than other coaches who have done the opposite.

Reaction Score
That Fortune list was about 10 years ago. What's listed on her profile is no different than a player listing the fact they were a 5-star recruit or a top ranked player as part of their profile. It's simply an accolade that "looks good" to build out her resume for the fanbase.
I wasn't finding fault with it being in her NC bio (although that was prior to her joining NC) but rather Fortune for listing her. Do you honestly believe that at any point in her career she was one of the WORLD'S 50 greatest leaders?

Reaction Score
I wasn't finding fault with it being in her NC bio (although that was prior to her joining NC) but rather Fortune for listing her. Do you honestly believe that at any point in her career she was one of the WORLD'S 50 greatest leaders?
At the same time, these types of "lists" are usually curated by an organization who has some type of marketing alignment with these publishers. Look at the all-star awards and their sponsors. They all need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
I agree. Im disappointed a little in their progression the past two seasons but they are a good program. They've been competitive the last three seasons. I respect a sweet 16 appearance. and if they were to win one more game that's 3 20 win seasons. Also it takes coaches awhile sometimes to develop into like a powerhouse. I think Dawn Staley's first five years at SC r eerily similar. Sweet 16 appearance, second round, wnit appearance. Not saying she's the next Dawn but it takes time.
I agree with you in that it does take time to build a powerhouse program. But you have to see signs of it and I haven't. It's been a downward trend over the last three years - and with better talent. Not to mention adding good players from the portal. I have no bone to pick with Banghart at all just objectively I don't see the attraction to joining that program. As for a 20-win season that has become over-rated as playing many "puff" teams on your non-conference schedule (a la Mulkey and many others) has become the norm for many schools.

Reaction Score
I agree with you in that it does take time to build a powerhouse program. But you have to see signs of it and I haven't. It's been a downward trend over the last three years - and with better talent. Not to mention adding good players from the portal. I have no bone to pick with Banghart at all just objectively I don't see the attraction to joining that program. As for a 20-win season that has become over-rated as playing many "puff" teams on your non-conference schedule (a la Mulkey and many others) has become the norm for many schools.
Completely fair. I love hearing ppls opinions. That's y I spend way too much time on this board jk. I've been thinking about recently, how important it is to have a great player. Im thinking of Arizona and Adia Barnes. Ari McDonald changed her life. I think she's a good coach and did a great job this season in some ways but does it take a wnba level talent to really go far in the tournament? Does it take consistently getting that level talent to become one of those programs? Mike Neighbors with Kelsey Plum is another example though I did like the Arkansas teams with Chelsea Dungee. I'm just not sure what Utsby and Kelly are? Like r they top 10 players in their conference, top 30 players in the country? If not then is it fair to have top 16 team level expectations on Banghart. And furthermore are there a lot of examples of elite coaches/power 5 programs that are perennially top 15 that don't have a future w player or prospect on their roster. Now the flip side is y haven't Kelly and utsby developed into that.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom