ACC expansion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ACC expansion

Reaction Score
"Due on the vine." Some feel the same way about UConn basketball.

“If you put those two schools in the ACC, it’s going to be so easy for them to recruit nationally. So it will just benefit them in my opinion, not us,” Dorrance said. “There’s no way I want to share the glory of our conference with two schools that could do a very good job recruiting against us.”

He continued: “So basically I want Cal and Stanford die on the vine."

Wow, dumb and crass statement.

Most coaches who have been incredibly successful (and Dorrance certainly has) welcome competition and fear no one. Behind the scenes the might chuckle at others' misfortune, but they'd never do so publicly. That's usually left for the up-and-comers who havent had national success (looking at you Nate Oats).

For comparison, I would NEVER expect Geno or Saban to make a statement like that. I have a diminished view of Dorrance now.

Reaction Score
What's with all the meetings and calls? I assume they know everything there is to know about Cal, Stanford, and SMU at this point, so if they don't have the votes, what the heck are they discussing?

Reaction Score
What's with all the meetings and calls? I assume they know everything there is to know about Cal, Stanford, and SMU at this point, so if they don't have the votes, what the heck are they discussing?
Sounds like they are discussing what to do with the extra money. Unsaid is the fact that while the ACC agreed to uneven revenue sharing last spring, they never formalized the exact nature of it. I imagine both these conversations are now happening in tandem.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Probably the allocation of the Stanford in California half shares and the SMU full share. Do the four hold outs only get a pro rata share or do they get something more than that.

Reaction Score
Biggest nutkick yet. Sitting right in the ACCs footprint, they'd rather add two California schools and a Texas school. Its laughable at this point.

The only reason i hoped for the Big12 is these fools are just not that into us. Enough bad things can't happen to them.

Reaction Score
Biggest nutkick yet. Sitting right in the ACCs footprint, they'd rather add two California schools and a Texas school. Its laughable at this point.

The only reason i hoped for the Big12 is these fools are just not that into us. Enough bad things can't happen to them.
Perhaps we're not as valuable as we think we are? Either that or we're just blackballed and no amount of winning or streaming subscribers will overcome that.

Orc

Reaction Score
More inclined that it is blackball. Brand, athletic program, academics, market and then success are too strong when compared to other teams that are getting called.
Uconn again is silent and not doing anything but just monitoring the situation. SMU about to get picked before Uconn . Yuckk. Whats the next school to pass Uconn? Devry university ? Lol

Reaction Score

Sigh
That’s it . Gonna happen.

Then both AAC and MW will woo Oregon St and Wazzu, wanting to be the top G5.

OSU and WSU might even use this leverage to get the MW to disband and not take all teams. (Drop WY SJSU HI?).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I feel sick. We get passed over by Utah, Arizona State, Colorado, and now SMU and 2 West Coast schools nobody else wanted

Would you be in favor of joining the ACC and playing for free?

Reaction Score
I feel sick. We get passed over by Utah, Arizona State, Colorado, and now SMU and 2 West Coast schools nobody else wanted
After the Louisville debacle I determined never to get that upset again. Or maybe I am older now and realize health and happiness are important to prioritize. I have seen too much to allow myself to ever get upset like I used to.

Reaction Score
I am interested in the money implications...playing for free (nutty in itself) signals the real desperation of a program bidding on a last lifeboat seat.

Personally, I don't see the value of the proposed western adds...but it is ESPN that is working it...an extra $55 million per year cut into slices isn't that much.

Maybe the Presidents like Stanford and Cal for academics...but, darn, that makes for an awkward conference...far flung travel doesn't work for non revenue sports. Now there is talk of Football and Basketball only and olympic sports parked elsewhere.

Nothing makes sense anymore....

Reaction Score
The ACC adding these schools is like George Contstanza wearing sweat pants.

The only thing that I can figure is that if a conference isn't expanding it is imploding...

Phillips knows any expansion is good expansion in the eyes of the media, who set the national college football narrative. By adding Calford/SMU, it cuts against the narrative that the ACC is dying with programs seeking an out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I do not understand the mental gymnastics needed to make SMU make sense.

Does Clemson really want to play a road game at SMU?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
The fact that SMU is willing to take no money because their boosters will pay like $200 million dollars or whatever for the next few years is a great sign that some people have way too much money they don’t deserve to have.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The fact that SMU is willing to take no money because their boosters will pay like $200 million dollars or whatever for the next few years is a great sign that some people have way too much money they don’t deserve to have.

I feel like people are not capable of understanding what SMU is doing here.

SMU is making basically nothing on whatever the current AAC contract is paying out. People are throwing the $7M figure around as if it’s accurate and that ESPN did not right size the deal after everyone left.

Going to the ACC, selling tickets for games against ACC teams instead of UTSA and UAB, and getting a cut of the CFP and NCAAT distributions from the ACC will be a net positive financially compared to the AAC. And it’s a massive boost for their athletic programs who will now be considered a power conference member.

This makes absolute sense for them.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I feel like people are not capable of understanding what SMU is doing here.

SMU is making basically nothing on whatever the current AAC contract is paying out. People are throwing the $7M figure around as if it’s accurate and that ESPN did not right size the deal after everyone left.

Going to the ACC, selling tickets for games against ACC teams instead of UTSA and UAB, and getting a cut of the CFP and NCAAT distributions from the ACC will be a net positive financially compared to the AAC. And it’s a massive boost for their athletic programs who will now be considered a power conference member.

This makes absolute sense for them.
Yeah it makes sense, just the fact that people have so much money that they’re willing to spend it on something so frivolous as getting into a new conference that likely won’t exist in 10 years makes me kinda sick to my stomach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom