ACC & BIG SOUTH Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ACC & BIG SOUTH Thread

Reaction Score
Taking a look at the ACC Preseason Standing vs the final regular season standings. For the most part it shook out about what the coaches expected. I went with the coach's poll instead of the media. Final regular season standings in parenthesis.

1. NC State (1)
2. Louisville (2)
3. Georgia Tech (6)
4. Virginia Tech (5)
5. Florida State (9)
6. Notre Dame (3)
7. North Carolina (4)
8. Duke (10)
9. Miami (8)
10. Clemson (13)
11. Boston College (7)
12. Syracuse (12)
13. Wake Forest (11)
14. Pitt (15)
15. Virginia (14)

When I look at this, I can't help but wonder how injuries played a part in a lot of team's seasons (and the transfer portal). Georgia Tech took a hit to their backcourt with Fletcher (injury) and McQueen (transfer). Florida State missed games due to injury and covid as well.

These conference tournaments are going to be lit!
ND and UNC made the biggest improvements. Sorry Triad

Reaction Score

First Team:
Swartz, BC (Most Improved)
Cubaj, GT
Engstler, UL
Van Lith, UL
Kelly, UNC
Cunane, NCSt
Miles, ND
Kitley, VT (POY)
Washington, Clemson (Media only)
Spear, WF (Media only)
Jones, FSU (Coaches only)
Dodson, ND (Coaches only)

Second Team:
Soule, BC
Sheppard, VT
Ustby, UNC (Media only)
Jones, FSU (Media only)
Dodson, ND (Media only)
Jones, NCSt (Coaches only)
Washington, Clemson (Coaches only)
Spear, WF (Coaches only)

All-Freshman:
Gadkeng, BC
Day-Wilson, Duke (ROY Coaches)
Gordon, FSU
Timpson, FSU
Verhulst, UL
Williams, Miami
James, NCSt
Citron, ND (ROY Media)

All-Defense:
Cubaj, GT (DPOY)
Engstler, UL
Robinson, UL
Dodson, ND
Kitley, VT

Wes Moore, NCSt (COY)
Johnson, NCSt (6POY)

Surprised Dodson did not make the 1st team for both lists, not surprisingly the coaches knew better. She was just as impressive in the ACC conf games as Cunane, Kitley, and Cubaj.

What did Verhulst do to warrant an All freshman selection? Was it her sterling 3.3 pts or 2.0 rebounds?

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
All-Defense:
Cubaj, GT (DPOY)
Engstler, UL
Robinson, UL
Dodson, ND
Kitley, VT
It is a travesty that NC State's Kai Crutchfield didn't make the All-Defense team. She has shut down more than one good player in the conference this season. A lot of what she does doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
It is a travesty that NC State's Kai Crutchfield didn't make the All-Defense team. She has shut down more than one good player in the conference this season. A lot of what she does doesn't show up on the stat sheet.
One of my pet peeves with DPOY awards in general is that they too often go to the huge posts who block shots or the pesky guard who gets an occasional steal. Not enough credit given to the wings who are versatile enough to guard multiple positions and do both of the above, which is usually more challenging and more tiring.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
One of my pet peeves with DPOY awards in general is that they too often go to the huge posts who block shots or the pesky guard who gets an occasional steal. Not enough credit given to the wings who are versatile enough to guard multiple positions and do both of the above, which is usually more challenging and more tiring.
Nice knowledge

Reaction Score
ND and UNC made the biggest improvements. Sorry Triad
How bout BC? They won 2 ACC games last year. Coach Mac would have received more votes but her team throws the ball away too much. Led ACC in turnovers. So after watching their games you feel like throwing up sometimes even when they win. Hope they make the tourney but they are always good for around 20 turnovers a game. Had 29 at home against North Carolina They gave away a 14 point 4th quarter lead with 6 min left. Sad to say but probably the game that keeps them out of the tourney

Last edited:
Reaction Score
WOW Miami beats Louisville 61-59! High seed is good, winning game better!

And Virginia Tech beat North Carolina. Guess that is why North Carolina was seeded where they were.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was just listening to Wes Moore doing a radio interview and he mentioned how a couple of hours before the game sunday, they had fans line up on the road outside the coliseum as the team rolled up. Pretty much the only fanbase in the ACC that would do this.

Reaction Score
I was just listening to Wes Moore doing a radio interview and he mentioned how a couple of hours before the game sunday, they had fans line up on the road outside the coliseum as the team rolled up. Pretty much the only fanbase in the ACC that would do this.

Wouldn’t Louisville if they were playing for the conference championship near their home?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
#12 seed FGCU just knocked off 5 seed Virginia Tech 84-81. Some of those top seeded teams are falling early. Keep your eye on FGCU. They have the look of a "Dark Horse". :cool:

Reaction Score
#12 seed FGCU just knocked off 5 seed Virginia Tech 84-81. Some of those top seeded teams are falling early. Keep your eye on FGCU. They have the look of a "Dark Horse". :cool:
Can't underestimate FGCU with Kierstan Bell on this squad. Dangerous assumption to make.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not sure if I should post this tweet... procrastinated on it.... not the best time to post, and I'm sure Plebe and others will ridicule me for doing this..

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
VPI looks to be in some trouble for next season... Depending on if their graduating seniors (Gregg and Lytle) opt to use their covid year or not.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
VPI looks to be in some trouble for next season... Depending on if their graduating seniors (Gregg and Lytle) opt to use their covid year or not.

On another note, any sushi recommendations in Greensboro?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom