2025 Recruiting: - Acaden Lewis, UConn visit. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Acaden Lewis, UConn visit.

Reaction Score
I don’t think assists = PG. Cam is more of a combo guard than the true points like Newton and Castle.

If he was a PG he would’ve been playing that role and be in lined to do so in the draft given his size. It’d probably be more proper to say we had 3 great playmakers on the court last year.

One of the reasons we were able to do so is because 2 of them were 6’5+. Castle was legitimately the same size as one of the best perimeter scorers in the country and played elite defense. I’m not sure if these smaller (in comparison to Castle) could do the same thing if they had to play the 3. Especially defensively.

Castle was just a great chess piece to have for the team who was somehow amazing playing out of position.
Exactly the point I was trying to make. No one was questioning whether Spencer can play and did play some PG. But someone posted “We started 3 point guards last year” and all I said was “no we didn’t”…because no one with a brain would call Cam Spencer a primary PG (take the UConn system out of it).

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Exactly the point I was trying to make. No one was questioning whether Spencer can play and did play some PG. But someone posted “We started 3 point guards last year” and all I said was “no we didn’t”…because no one with a brain would call Cam Spencer a primary PG (take the UConn system out of it).

It’s also exactly the point the guy you’re arguing with was making. So your point is fine, but irrelevant.

“Call” him what you want, we had 3 guards who can play the 1 role starting last year.

Reaction Score

Not interesting enough to belabor but your argument basically boils down to "If we were conceiving of the lineup in a traditional 1 through 5 sense" we wouldn't have three defined point guards in the starting lineup which is true but completely irrelevant to the point of the initial observation, which was that we had three guys in the starting lineup who essentially functioned as a point guard in the context of a largely positionless offense. It seems like a strange thing to refute for anyone who watched the team play but, like I said, not really an interesting enough idea to continue debating.

Reaction Score
Not interesting enough to belabor but your argument basically boils down to "If we were conceiving of the lineup in a traditional 1 through 5 sense" we wouldn't have three defined point guards in the starting lineup which is true but completely irrelevant to the point of the initial observation, which was that we had three guys in the starting lineup who essentially functioned as a point guard in the context of a largely positionless offense. It seems like a strange thing to refute for anyone who watched the team play but, like I said, not really an interesting enough idea to continue debating.

I'm exhausted trying to explain myself here so this is my last post on the subject as we have gotten way off track.

"We started 3 PGs this year. Our 3rd most prolific PG might get drafted in the top 5. Not really an issue for me, I hope it's not an issue for recruits."

The above was the initial statement. It was in response to the potential challenge of selling our program to multiple PG's, as players who consider themselves PGs may have particular expectations about handling the ball, running an offense, etc. I actually think Lewis is the only kid we are currently recruiting who considers himself a pure PG, so it may be irrelevant. But the quote above made it seem like we needed to sell the idea of a 3 PG type system to guys we recruited for last year's team, which I don't believe to be the case at all in the case of Spencer. Steph - absolutely...we needed to sell the idea to him that he could still carve out a PG type role playing aside Tristen. But for Cam - even though he did end play some PG and having some PG responsibilities in a position-less offense - never would have considered himself a PG and had any of these expectations, as SG is clearly his traditional position.

Hope this makes sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom