2025 Recruiting: - Acaden Lewis, UConn visit. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Acaden Lewis, UConn visit.

Reaction Score
Isn't Acaden a PG and Meleek is a SG? I don't think this is a one or the other type of situation.
i was just gonna ask the same Q

are we hoping to get any 2 of Meleek Thomas, Acaden Lewis, and Braylon Mullins or all 3?

they all have similar measurements but if Lewis can play PG and Mullins can play on the wing, and thomas can do either, then i guess it could work.

lewis- 6'2 170
thomas- 6'4 175
mullins- 6'5 180

Reaction Score
i was just gonna ask the same Q

are we hoping to get any 2 of Meleek Thomas, Acaden Lewis, and Braylon Mullins or all 3?

they all have similar measurements but if Lewis can play PG and Mullins can play on the wing, and thomas can do either, then i guess it could work.

lewis- 6'2 170
thomas- 6'4 175
mullins- 6'5 180

Order of priority seems to be Thomas, Lewis, Mullins. I'd say two of the three seems like a plausible, if not realistic scenario.

Feel good about Thomas. I don't know what to make of Lewis, but feels l like Mullins is staying in Big 10 country.

Reaction Score
My understanding (although not as in depth as some on here) is Lewis is more PG, Leek is more CG.

Fortunately for us, how we’ve run offense over the last few years we can still sell people on a role of being able to display their ball handling and decision making, as we’ve had numerous spots on the floor bring the ball up & initiate offense. Unlike other programs who seem to do it primarily through 1 guy

Reaction Score
We started 3 PGs this year. Our 3rd most prolific PG might get drafted in the top 5. Not really an issue for me, I hope it's not an issue for recruits.
i love the interchangeability on offense, on the other side of the ball one of them needs to be quick enough to guard opposing PGs and another needs to be big enough to guard opposing wings

Reaction Score
No we didn’t.
Newton was a PG here and at ECU. Castle was a PG in high school and told people in the NBA he's a PG. Spencer had 3/4 years before UConn with an assist rate over 20%, which is my threshold for PG (combo guard is 15-20%). The other year was 19%. Three guys who could run any team in America.

Reaction Score
Newton was a PG here and at ECU. Castle was a PG in high school and told people in the NBA he's a PG. Spencer had 3/4 years before UConn with an assist rate over 20%, which is my threshold for PG (combo guard is 15-20%). The other year was 19%. Three guys who could run any team in America.
Newton was obviously a PG and I won’t argue that Steph has PG skills and ultimately could be one in the NBA. But calling Cam a PG is a streeeeeeetch.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I honestly don’t understand how you could have watched this team for the last year and say this.

Cam 100% could have been our starting PG. He's got the ball on a string and he can create for others (and himself). And a 3.6:1.0 A:TO ratio is crazy good. He'll be combo guard at the next level but yeah, he definitely showed PG skills.

Reaction Score
I honestly don’t understand how you could have watched this team for the last year and say this.

Just because a guy played some PG doesn't make him primarily a PG. I honestly don't understand how you can watch Cam Spencer play basketball and think "His primary position is PG"...which is what the OP was saying when he said "we started 3 PGs". I watched every second of every game this year. He's a solid ball handler and good decision maker/passer. But he isn't the type of guy who you just give the ball to with 6 seconds left on the shot clock and watch him get his own shot. I think you'd be hard pressed to find him listed as "PG" in any NBA circles.

Reaction Score
Just because a guy played some PG doesn't make him primarily a PG. I honestly don't understand how you can watch Cam Spencer play basketball and think "His primary position is PG"...which is what the OP was saying when he said "we started 3 PGs". I watched every second of every game this year. He's a solid ball handler and good decision maker/passer. But he isn't the type of guy who you just give the ball to with 6 seconds left on the shot clock and watch him get his own shot. I think you'd be hard pressed to find him listed as "PG" in any NBA circles.

I think you're missing the point of the post, which was the pretty straightforward - and, in my opinion, not particularly refutable - observation that we started three guys capable of functioning as the "point guard" in a lineup that largely embodied the notion of positionless basketball. And it's not necessarily relevant to the discussion but I also think you're wrong about Cam's ability to get his own shot at the end of the shot clock, which we saw happen many times last season (putting aside whether the ability to get one's own shot is what constitutes being a point guard).

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

He was talking about the ability of multiple guys to play simultaneously, using our roster of versatile guards as an example of 3 PGs playing together.

It wasn’t a discussion on what Cam’s primary position is considered - don’t get into the weeds: the point is clear and pretty close to irrefutable.

I know this is the ‘yard but come on. We play 3 guys at most times that can play the 1 role, that’s the entire point. That’s what Meleek, Acaden and another recruit would represent.

Reaction Score
He did this how many times last year?? The one legged stepback/turnaround fadeaway midrange jumper as the clock was winding down was a staple of his throughout the season. Also had the signature moments like the 3 point dagger vs Butler as the shot clock was winding down and also the layup through contact against Edey in the 2nd half of the title game, both of which were self created. If Cam makes it in the NBA I don't think anyone will expect him to be a primary PG but he initiated and ran offense perfectly fine here, also one of the better passers we've had at the guard position.

Reaction Score
I think you're missing the point of the post, which was the pretty straightforward - and, in my opinion, not particularly refutable - observation that we started three guys capable of functioning as the "point guard" in a lineup that largely embodied the notion of positionless basketball. And it's not necessarily relevant to the discussion but I also think you're wrong about Cam's ability to get his own shot at the end of the shot clock, which we saw happen many times last season (putting aside whether the ability to get one's own shot is what constitutes being a point guard).
Agree 100% with the position less basketball piece and don't foresee any issues with us going after Lewis, Thomas, Mullins, etc. But I think of those guys, Lewis is really the only guy that is primarily a PG.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He did this how many times last year?? The one legged stepback/turnaround fadeaway midrange jumper as the clock was winding down was a staple of his throughout the season. Also had the signature moments like the 3 point dagger vs Butler as the shot clock was winding down and also the layup through contact against Edey in the 2nd half of the title game, both of which were self created. If Cam makes it in the NBA I don't think anyone will expect him to be a primary PG but he initiated and ran offense perfectly fine here, also one of the better passers we've had at the guard position.

We certainly weren't an iso team but if you had to give the ball to one guy to create something with the shot running down, it'd be between him and Newt -- and if you needed a 3, it'd obviously be him.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don’t think assists = PG. Cam is more of a combo guard than the true points like Newton and Castle.

If he was a PG he would’ve been playing that role and be in lined to do so in the draft given his size. It’d probably be more proper to say we had 3 great playmakers on the court last year.

One of the reasons we were able to do so is because 2 of them were 6’5+. Castle was legitimately the same size as one of the best perimeter scorers in the country and played elite defense. I’m not sure if these smaller (in comparison to Castle) could do the same thing if they had to play the 3. Especially defensively.

Castle was just a great chess piece to have for the team who was somehow amazing playing out of position.

Reaction Score
I don’t think assists = PG. Cam is more of a combo guard than the true points like Newton and Castle.

If he was a PG he would’ve been playing that role and be in lined to do so in the draft given his size. It’d probably be more proper to say we had 3 great playmakers on the court last year.

One of the reasons we were able to do so is because 2 of them were 6’5+. Castle was legitimately the same size as one of the best perimeter scorers in the country and played elite defense. I’m not sure if these smaller (in comparison to Castle) could do the same thing if they had to play the 3. Especially defensively.

Castle was just a great chess piece to have for the team who was somehow amazing playing out of position.
Choo Choo… all aboard the Lewis derailment train.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom