2025 Recruiting: - Acaden Lewis final four | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Acaden Lewis final four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don’t think you’re understanding the point.

If we’re going to do it. Which we are. You maximize the event or it’s just a giant waste of time. The fans that need to be brought into the fold don’t even know it’s going on. The event is unserious and it’s not really for fans like me and you. I just feel the way we do it is a waste of time.

Also, don’t get rid of the tradition. But unless the athletic department starts to cater somewhat to younger fans our fanbase is going to get really old, really fast. It’s why I like how much better our social media team has gotten. It helps promote our program to a different demographic in this state. We need to keep growing our fanbase.

All in all it’s not a major issue. Just a thought.
Who are these fans who need to be brought into the fold that don't even know it's going on? The building will be full.

Your point was about this event for recruiting. Hurley and staff don't view this event as their big tool to lure recruits, some lesser programs probably do. Again, I don't see why this is a thing for you when our recruiting is so excellent and we have the best program in the country.

Hurley runs a harcore practice for two hours before the event. I would have much preferred watching that than the actual event when I was younger and now but that's not how it goes. He could scrap that and have the players fresh for a dunk contest, three point contest and a serious scrimmage but that's not what he wants.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Who are these fans who need to be brought into the fold that don't even know it's going on? The building will be full.

Your point was about this event for recruiting. Hurley and staff don't view this event as their big tool to lure recruits, some lesser programs probably do. Again, I don't see why this is a thing for you when our recruiting is so excellent and we have the best program in the country.

Hurley runs a harcore practice for two hours before the event. I would have much preferred watching that than the actual event when I was younger and now but that's not how it goes. He could scrap that and have the players fresh for a dunk contest, three point contest and a serious scrimmage but that's not what he wants.
What would be wrong with having that hardcore practice for 2 hours for recruits to see and then walking them out to show how great our fans can be on first night?

I don’t think this needs to be a one or the other situation.

Reaction Score
What would be wrong with having that hardcore practice for 2 hours for recruits to see and then walking them out to show how great our fans can be on first night?

I don’t think this needs to be a one or the other situation.
The recruits always sit in on practices. Most of our recruiting for this class is already done.

awy

Reaction Score
open practice was like first night. but they'll prob expand on this stuff since the demand is demonstrably big

Reaction Score
It's an unserious event, the coaches just want to introduce the players to the fans and get out of there with nobody getting hurt. Hurley hates it.

Hurley and staff have a strategy to get the recruits they want and First Night isn't a part of it. Why do you care about it when we have hands down the best program in the country and the recruiting formula works so well?

Jock Jams is UConn tradition, replacing it at games with some other corny music 18 year olds like at the moment isn't going to happen and shouldn't happen. Same goes for Guns N' Roses Welcome to the Jungle on defensive third downs.
Maybe when Hurley accomplishes the 3-peat we can stop questioning his recruiting. Until then make First Night an extravaganza and offer Toure a scholarship ASAP. The man is a blind squirrel who keeps finding nuts -- think how much better he would be if he listened to the Boneyard over how to find nuts?

Reaction Score

I live in southern CT. They don't promote to fans in this area at all. There is a whole half of the state who can be brought into the fold. Secondly, it will not be full. Last year they only used half of Gampel. Also, Why either or? I think you're overthinking what i'm saying. It's cool though. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
It's an unserious event, the coaches just want to introduce the players to the fans and get out of there with nobody getting hurt. Hurley hates it.

Hurley and staff have a strategy to get the recruits they want and First Night isn't a part of it. Why do you care about it when we have hands down the best program in the country and the recruiting formula works so well?

Jock Jams is UConn tradition, replacing it at games with some other corny music 18 year olds like at the moment isn't going to happen and shouldn't happen. Same goes for Guns N' Roses Welcome to the Jungle on defensive third downs.
Because, because....Duke....and Kentucky. You know, the programs we have run circles around for the last 25 years.

Reaction Score

If we’re going to do it. Which we are. You maximize the event or it’s just a giant waste of time. The fans that need to be brought into the fold don’t even know it’s going on. The event is unserious and it’s not really for fans like me and you. I just feel the way we do it is a waste of time.

Also, don’t get rid of the tradition. But unless the athletic department starts to cater somewhat to younger fans our fanbase is going to get really old, really fast. It’s why I like how much better our social media team has gotten. It helps promote our program to a different demographic in this state. We need to keep growing our fanbase.

You started off by saying we needed to do this to help our recruiting. Now you are saying it's to reach a broader fan base. I think we have both already pretty well covered and you should just let this one go. NO ONE cares abouts Midnight Maness or First Night or whatever the hell you want to call it and it sure as hell is not going to impact our product on the floor which, once again, has been fairly decent for 25 years running.

Reaction Score

I would rather skip it than continue like this. 2012 was the only good first night I can recall. Literally just book a good music act and you are 95 percent there. Or cancel, whatever.

Reaction Score
The level of vitriol that comes attached to First Night with this fan base is something else.

Reaction Score
All I’m saying. And this wouldn’t make us unserious
Exactly. First night is for the students, players, recruits, etc, so if they enjoy it (and by most accounts they do) awesome let's do it.

The old folks here worried about how serious of a program it makes us are just curmudgeons on a message board...who cares what we think, let the kids have fun

Reaction Score
I live in southern CT. They don't promote to fans in this area at all. There is a whole half of the state who can be brought into the fold. Secondly, it will not be full. Last year they only used half of Gampel. Also, Why either or? I think you're overthinking what i'm saying. It's cool though. Go Huskies
I wasn't there but they said the event was full capacity last year and it sold out in 15 hours, it also looked like a full building on the broadcast.

You seem to he arguing something different about UConn not doing a good enough job of marketing in Fairfield County. I've always felt this way and wish we got more of the big time money people down there to be a part of the program.

I was responding to you saying UConn doesn't use First Night as a recruiting tool like Duke and Kentucky do and then you transitioned to saying we don't get young fans into the fold and our old fans are dying off.

We also do have recruits at the event it's just not the thing Hurley and staff feature in their presentation to recruits. Isaiah Abraham and his cousin Patrick Ngongba were there last season, there will be players there this season.

Reaction Score
Exactly. First night is for the students, players, recruits, etc, so if they enjoy it (and by most accounts they do) awesome let's do it.

The old folks here worried about how serious of a program it makes us are just curmudgeons on a message board...who cares what we think, let the kids have fun
Nobody is worried about how serious of a program it makes us. We are a serious program, First Night isn't a serious event.

Reaction Score
You started off by saying we needed to do this to help our recruiting. Now you are saying it's to reach a broader fan base. I think we have both already pretty well covered and you should just let this one go. NO ONE cares abouts Midnight Maness or First Night or whatever the hell you want to call it and it sure as hell is not going to impact our product on the floor which, once again, has been fairly decent for 25 years running.
1. I never said we needed to do anything for recruiting. I wondered why we didn't do it more. Because we do use it at times.

2. The purpose of first night is to bring in casual fans and the student body to energize them for the season. We do a terrible job. No one in New Haven or Fairfield county knows it's even happening.

3. YOU don't have to care. If it's going to be half-assed it's a waste of time. Funny enough you agree with me that it's not accomplishing anything. Which is my problem with it. If we're going to have it, maximize the event.

4. There is really nothing for you to disagree with here. You're just being dense.

Reaction Score
I wasn't there but they said the event was full capacity last year and it sold out in 15 hours, it also looked like a full building on the broadcast.

You seem to he arguing something different about UConn not doing a good enough job of marketing in Fairfield County. I've always felt this way and wish we got more of the big time money people down there to be a part of the program.

I was responding to you saying UConn doesn't use First Night as a recruiting tool like Duke and Kentucky do and then you transitioned to saying we don't get young fans into the fold and our old fans are dying off.

We also do have recruits at the event it's just not the thing Hurley and staff feature in their presentation to recruits. Isaiah Abraham and his cousin Patrick Ngongba were there last season, there will be players there this season.
I don't think we disagree at all honestly. I just wish we'd do a better job of using first night as an event younger fans and recruits actually want to be at. It doesn't have to be our main attraction. Just a tool, in the way bringing recruits to a football game is. Braylon Mullins was quoted today as saying he wants to go to a school where he can have "fun". It's okay to showcase our rabid fanbase. First Night is one of the only opportunities. We're thriving. I trust what Hurley is doing.

And as far as first night last year they only used half of the Pavillion for fans. The stage took up the other half.

Reaction Score
1. I never said we needed to do anything for recruiting. I wondered why we didn't do it more. Because we do use it at times.

2. The purpose of first night is to bring in casual fans and the student body to energize them for the season. We do a terrible job. No one in New Haven or Fairfield county knows it's even happening.

3. YOU don't have to care. If it's going to be half-assed it's a waste of time. Funny enough you agree with me that it's not accomplishing anything. Which is my problem with it. If we're going to have it, maximize the event.

4. There is really nothing for you to disagree with here. You're just being dense.
You want our First Night to be like Duke and Kentucky and use it as a recruiting tool. As we've pointed out Hurley and staff use other things as recruiting tools and this event isn't important to them for that. The results speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
Think about it this way. The hard practices symbolizes hard work and dedication, and the first night type events symbolize showmanship. Which type of recruit is Hurley trying to attract?

Reaction Score
I don't think we disagree at all honestly. I just wish we'd do a better job of using first night as an event younger fans and recruits actually want to be at. It doesn't have to be our main attraction. Just a tool, in the way bringing recruits to a football game is. Braylon Mullins was quoted today as saying he wants to go to a school where he can have "fun". It's okay to showcase our rabid fanbase. First Night is one of the only opportunities. We're thriving. I trust what Hurley is doing.

And as far as first night last year they only used half of the Pavillion for fans. The stage took up the other half.
I think the championships are a much better representation of how much fun recruits can have.

Reaction Score
You want our First Night to be like Duke and Kentucky and use it as a recruiting tool. As we've pointed out Hurley and staff use other things as recruiting tools and this event isn't important to them for that. The results speak for themselves.
You're not wrong. So why have First Night? It's a waste of time in it's current purpose and form. It's of no benefit. I'm bringing up the young fans as an alternative reason, that we're still doing a terrible job at. If it's not for recruiting than it should at least be for younger fans. If it's for neither....scrap it.

Reaction Score
I think the championships are a much better representation of how much fun recruits can have.
How old are you? Serious question. You sound like an adult. Not an 18 year old kid. We are recruiting the same kids Duke and Kentucky are. And None of you can answer the question of "Why have first night if it has no purpose".

Reaction Score
Think about it this way. The hard practices symbolizes hard work and dedication, and the first night type events symbolize showmanship. Which type of recruit is Hurley trying to attract?
I'm not advocating for an either/or

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44