About our new recruits… | The Boneyard

About our new recruits…

Reaction Score
I’ve been confused on 1
Been confused on Allie Ziebell. Is she just purely a shooter? Does she have any game other than 3 point shooting? I can’t find any highlights or clips that aren’t 3 pointers. If someone could link some clips of other parts of her game I’d appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here’s one. It’s a hard fought game and you can see her making mistakes as well as great plays. She’s #1 in red.

Reaction Score
Don't know, but every player can improve and develop in some fashion. KML and KLS were primarily shooters until they weren't. Players know where to go if they want to elevate their game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She’ll be on her way to Storrs soon

6A93B99A-90B0-41C1-87C5-E5419F455828.jpeg

Reaction Score
Been confused on Allie Ziebell. Is she just purely a shooter? Does she have any game other than 3 point shooting? I can’t find any highlights or clips that aren’t 3 pointers. If someone could link some clips of other parts of her game I’d appreciate it.
Yes, she has other offensive skills but her three-point shooting range and accuracy plus her high basketball IQ will be her greatest assets..........I hate to say it, but she could be a missing Mabrey sister...........

Reaction Score
Most of the highlights have been 3 pt shooting, but I saw one video maybe a year ago or so that showed her driving hard to the basket and finishing thru traffic quite a few times.

Reaction Score
Allie must have had something more to her game than just 3 point shooting or Geno wouldn't have recruited her
That’s what I assumed but I can’t find many highlights of anything but 3 point shooting. It appears she was the PG for her team but she did get caught in the press and almost fumbled the pass out.

Reaction Score

This is a little more and includes a little about Cheli too. Ziebel's father is a high school basketball coach and from what I read he didn't coddle her.

“The most rewarding thing about recruiting both Morgan and Allie was how incredible the fit is — that this is where they wanted to come and we knew that as we were recruiting them,” he said. “There was no extraneous Stop to the recruiting process. It was very straightforward, very upfront, very transparent with the parents, the kids. There was complete buy-in almost right from the beginning so you knew you're getting a kid — both of them — that are tremendously committed to UConn women's basketball and what it means.”
It helps that neither are lacking in their on-court talents, though. Ziebell, a 5-foot-10 guard, has a knack for putting the ball in the basket by whatever means necessary.
“I've seen a lot of basketball players in the past — and I'm not putting any pressure on her whatsoever — but I don't know that during the summer season I've seen a lot of kids just take over games single-handedly and win games. And I don't mean against the bad players. I’m talking about the best players,” Auriemma said. “She's one of those kids that knows who she is and she's not afraid. She's got some of that Azzi (Fudd) and Paige (Bueckers) in her that ‘Every time the ball leaves my hand, I think it's going in.’ So she's a scorer… She scores points.”

Reaction Score
She is a perfect fit. This year she is a wildcard. But as long as shoots the ball well she will have a stellar career.

Going forward as her career extends, she is going to have the luxury of playing with Sarah who will demand attention. And throw in Jana who might also be terrific. Which means what she does best - which is shoot - she will have a ton of opportunities to show off her game. There is a good chance that either Sarah or Jana is going to be super. And if Allie is "really good" shooting she is going to make the super players that much more brutal to defend. Which means at the lowest level UCONN's floor is probably never going to go below 5 if Sarah or Jana is super.

At the same time, Allie will have the perfect opportunity to evolve.

More than likely Sarah Strong is going to be "The Real Deal." That's going to make the team special with a very high floor in which they will continually compete for championships.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Allie played a great game she got 31 but the number 4 Rainey Welson, the Maryland commit had 43 and at times looked unstoppable

Reaction Score
Allie played a great game she got 31 but the number 4 Rainey Welson, the Maryland commit had 43 and at times looked unstoppable
#4 did look pretty tough, actually she was unstoppable as you said, but I think we’re gonna be very happy with Allie! She is a tremendous shooter and a coach’s kid. She will thrive at UConn. This class has a chance to be really special!

Reaction Score
…as her career extends, she is going to have the luxury of playing with Sarah who will demand attention. And throw in Jana who might also be terrific. Which means what she does best - which is shoot - she will have a ton of opportunities to show off her game.
I completely agree with this assessment, and not just for Allie. The usual transition to D1, where everyone is bigger and quicker than what they saw in high school, won’t hit this class so hard because they’ll free each other up. It will be very difficult for opposing teams to key on any of them. They won’t have to face the brunt of more experienced D1 veterans alone, and soon enough they’ll be the scary D1 veterans.

A year (or two) to learn from Paige and Azzi, and then the Morgan Sarah Jana KK Ash Allie Q and Ice will hit the hardwood near you. Gandy and Kelis will follow right on their heels. Jana and Sarah will anchor this crew until Lara and the Big O show up.

Reaction Score

This is a little more and includes a little about Cheli too. Ziebel's father is a high school basketball coach and from what I read he didn't coddle her.
So from what I gather, Allie has a clutch mentality. If the team need scoring desperately or the team is down 10 in the last few minutes, she'll do whatever she can to build momentum and put the ball up.

That's really great for us. We need PB to pick up a bit more of that mentality; sometimes it feels she disappears in games when we need her. Someone who realizes they need to be selfish and takeover is what PB should mold herself more into next season.

Through some of the clips, she seems very fearless going to the basket in traffic. She and Morgan are both very confident slashing into the paint it seems, despite Allie only being 5'11.

Reaction Score
You can always use a spot up three point shooter. So many shooters are flow shooters and when you ask them to stand in a place to catch and shoot they lose their accuracy. To me Ash is a great shooter that is not a spot up shooter at all. When Caroline first showed up she could spot up but most of UConn's great scorers have not been spot up shooters. That is a skill that will get her on the court fast.

Reaction Score
That's really great for us. We need PB to pick up a bit more of that mentality; sometimes it feels she disappears in games when we need her. Someone who realizes they need to be selfish and takeover is what PB should mold herself more into next season.
I know you can't be talking about Paige Buckers because that would be a crazy comment. So who do you mean by PB?

Because as we know as a frosh she kept UCONN relevant in competing for championships in which we saw her drill a late game 3 vs Tennessee when the game was extremely tight and on the line and then her unreal performance South Carolina. And then the run she helped lead with UCONN beating Baylor to get to the FF.

And because we know as a soph in her mostly injured year she bounces back with an unreal performance in 4th qtr and overtimes in E8 vs NC State. Then she leads her team to defeat the Defending Champion Stanford in a hard fought close game to gte teh The Finals.

And because this past year she led a team with 4 freshman in their core of 7 to the FF with tight games from 32 to FF in which UCONN was seconds away from winning -- so I know you can't be talking about Paige Buckers having to pick up that "mentality." Every oneof tehse games was tight and cluthc performances were needed to a degree.

Because if anyone were to think that then they would have the classic case of recency bias along with expectations of a college player that doesn't come close to reality. The other teams have scholarship player’s too. There's a reason why when favored during Paige's tenure they have only been upset once - in her frosh year -- she was a frosh - she was a frosh - other than that they have held serve only losing to the favored team. And she has had amazing clutch performances that got them to the points of FF's and Championships. Basketball is a team game. Sometimes the better team is just going to win.

And in regard to Paige UCONN has always been competing to win which is what Geno cites as a top goal for UCONN. And that “Competing to win” goal that UCONN strives to achieve has been recently prevalent because of Paige Buecker’s clutch performances. And the one year she was out UCONN “failed to compete” for a championship. She is the one dragging them to compete.

Reaction Score
So from what I gather, 1 Allie has a clutch mentality. If the team need scoring desperately or the team is down 10 in the last few minutes, she'll do whatever she can to build momentum and put the ball up.

That's really great for us. 2 We need PB to pick up a bit more of that mentality; sometimes it feels she disappears in games when we need her. Someone who realizes they need to be selfish and takeover is what PB should mold herself more into next season.

Through some of the clips, she seems very fearless going to the basket in traffic. She and Morgan are both very confident slashing into the paint it seems, despite 3 Allie only being 5'11.
  1. I totally agree. Allie is a clutch player. Like Ash and Paige and Azzi and KK and Morgan and Sarah and Jana and Ice, she's used to carrying her team. Geno seems to recruit these types.
  2. This is an absurd statement about Paige, especially after the past season. I've never seen anyone exhibit this very quality more than Paige. Not even Diana and Maya.
  3. Allie looks bigger than 5'11". I've seen her listed as 6'0" and 6'1". I think she was the tallest (or second tallest) player on her HS team. She's a big kid and she plays big. She's not quick, but she knows how to use her size to get past players in the lane. In this respect, she's a bit like Caroline.

Reaction Score
I know you can't be talking about Paige Buckers because that would be a crazy comment. So who do you mean by PB?

Because as we know as a frosh she kept UCONN relevant in competing for championships in which we saw her drill a late game 3 vs Tennessee when the game was extremely tight and on the line and then her unreal performance South Carolina. And then the run she helped lead with UCONN beating Baylor to get to the FF.

And because we know as a soph in her mostly injured year she bounces back with an unreal performance in 4th qtr and overtimes in E8 vs NC State. Then she leads her team to defeat the Defending Champion Stanford in a hard fought close game to gte teh The Finals.

And because this past year she led a team with 4 freshman in their core of 7 to the FF with tight games from 32 to FF in which UCONN was seconds away from winning -- so I know you can't be talking about Paige Buckers having to pick up that "mentality." Every oneof tehse games was tight and cluthc performances were needed to a degree.

Because if anyone were to think that then they would have the classic case of recency bias along with expectations of a college player that doesn't come close to reality. The other teams have scholarship player’s too. There's a reason why when favored during Paige's tenure they have only been upset once - in her frosh year -- she was a frosh - she was a frosh - other than that they have held serve only losing to the favored team. And she has had amazing clutch performances that got them to the points of FF's and Championships. Basketball is a team game. Sometimes the better team is just going to win.

And in regard to Paige UCONN has always been competing to win which is what Geno cites as a top goal for UCONN. And that “Competing to win” goal that UCONN strives to achieve has been recently prevalent because of Paige Buecker’s clutch performances. And the one year she was out UCONN “failed to compete” for a championship. She is the one dragging them to compete.
What I meant was there are games where she disappears. Entirely. Texas she was a no show. Iowa, she needed to become more selfish and take over completely. I know there’s game where she does that. But when we really need her, sometimes she just doesn’t put up the shot and passes it away. What I mean is, I misspoke saying “pick up the mentality” more like “keep working on it” because there are moments where her takeover was desperately needed. I know she’s a superstar, and she carried some games. But the most important ones, that being the Iowa game, she had an incredibly quiet night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom