2026 Recruiting: - Abdou Toure update 7/5/24 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2026 Recruiting: Abdou Toure update 7/5/24

Reaction Score
He's got a decent three-point shot in warm-ups. Obviously, that's not the same as hitting contested three pointers in Big East games. But if he comes to UConn, he won't be taking contested threes. ;)

Less concerned with the accuracu than the speed. He gets blocked regularly in CIAC games attempting 3s because he takes forever to shoot it. He's got 2 years to sort it out... needs a trainer to tighten up his feet.

Reaction Score
Less concerned with the accuracu than the speed. He gets blocked regularly in CIAC games attempting 3s because he takes forever to shoot it. He's got 2 years to sort it out... needs a trainer to tighten up his feet.
Yes. His three shot is slow, but not many CIAC teams move the ball like UConn.

Reaction Score
I love Castle and thought he looked like he was playing at a level above the competition in his first summer league game but as regards Sheppard I think this post is going to age like milk.

Time will tell, of course. But I am totally fine with being proven wrong. Still, I think you are. I watched him and Kentucky play on about half a dozen occasions. You really think he is any better than Jimmer Fredette was coming out of BYU in 2011? I respectfully but fully disagree. His defense must take a quantum leap in order to become a starter in the league. And I just don't see it.

Furthermore, you and these prognosticators are crazy if you think he was one of the two or three best collegians in this year's draft. Sorry, but no. Just, no.

Reaction Score
I don't know why we wait so long to offer most players.
The hotter you are as a program, the later you can (and maybe should) offer. It feels cheap to swoop in and not develop a years-long relationship, but exclusivity and selectivity is extremely important for teens who are trying to discern their worth in the world and social order. That and the primacy/recency effects indicate that you pretty much want to be either first or last to offer.

Reaction Score
The hotter you are as a program, the later you can (and maybe should) offer. It feels cheap to swoop in and not develop a years-long relationship, but exclusivity and selectivity is extremely important for teens who are trying to discern their worth in the world and social order. That and the primacy/recency effects indicate that you pretty much want to be either first or last to offer.
Yeah, that was the KO model. Develop kids, have them basically live around the team at pickup games, then have them go elsewhere late. I don't want those days to ever come back. I want us to be the thieves in the night stealing other programs recruits.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The downside is guys develop serious relationships with other coaches for over a year before we get involved and then we’re playing catch up. I think we’ve lost some guys because other coaches put in more leg work, especially recently in state.

Not that it matters cause we’re back to back champions, but I’d love to hear the coaches explain their process and reasoning for recruiting most kids late in the cycle, beyond the basic concept of roster flexibility.

It seems pointless to not offer Toure now. He’s obviously good enough to play here, has talked very openly about his desire to stay local, and other coaches are obviously catching on quickly to how underrated he is. I’d hate to fall behind on an obvious instate stud because we were overvaluing future roster flexibility.

Reaction Score
The downside is guys develop serious relationships with other coaches for over a year before we get involved and then we’re playing catch up. I think we’ve lost some guys because other coaches put in more leg work, especially recently in state.

Not that it matters cause we’re back to back champions, but I’d love to hear the coaches explain their process and reasoning for recruiting most kids late in the cycle, beyond the basic concept of roster flexibility.

It seems pointless to not offer Toure now. He’s obviously good enough to play here, has talked very openly about his desire to stay local, and other coaches are obviously catching on quickly to how underrated he is. I’d hate to fall behind on an obvious instate stud because we were overvaluing future roster flexibility.
He's been on an unofficial already his sophomore year and he goes to games. We're obviously going to offer him and roll out the red carpet.
20240709_215849.jpg

Reaction Score

You are allowed to develop relationships without offering scholarships.

His decision is at least a year away, so the need for an offer is a year away.

Reaction Score

It is absolutely comical that you would come on here and criticize the coaching staff for getting outworked. I can't believe you really just posted that

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It is absolutely comical that you would come on here and criticize the coaching staff for getting outworked. I can't believe you really just posted that
I think it’s comical you reduced that entire statement down to that based on one line.

Nobody is questioning the staffs work ethic. You don’t succeed like this without effort. Obviously I’m aware of the journey Dan and Kimani took to get here.

This is a conversation about recruiting philosophy and why we might approach things differently than other programs, and trying to understand it. I think that includes slow playing some recruitments, which other people in this thread are justifying, but losing those players to coaches who built stronger relationships throughout the years at times.

I’m not arguing with the results, or saying they’re lazy for putting less work in on certain guys, but I think it’s indisputably cost us some of them. Depends if you believe their statements about why they committed to those lesser programs and coaches after the fact.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He's been on an unofficial already his sophomore year and he goes to games. We're obviously going to offer him and roll out the red carpet.
View attachment 102280
Hopefully we’re the next school to offer him, or that visit is set up in the near future. The sharks are circling, the kid isn’t some deep Connecticut secret anymore.

Reaction Score
I think it’s comical you reduced that entire statement down to that based on one line.

Nobody is questioning the staffs work ethic. You don’t succeed like this without effort. Obviously I’m aware of the journey Dan and Kimani took to get here.

This is a conversation about recruiting philosophy and why we might approach things differently than other programs, and trying to understand it. I think that includes slow playing some recruitments, which other people in this thread are justifying, but losing those players to coaches who built stronger relationships throughout the years at times.

I’m not arguing with the results, or saying they’re lazy for putting less work in on certain guys, but I think it’s indisputably cost us some of them. Depends if you believe their statements about why they committed to those lesser programs and coaches after the fact.

An offer means a lot to a kid, but spending the time to get to know tjem and their family is more important in the long run. I wouldn't worry about it.

Some coaches throw out offers like candy--ie. Bryant. Others like to make their offers selective and special to get. I'm guessing you know what camp we're in considering we have like 8 total offers for the entire 2025 class out in prime recruiting season.

Reaction Score
Toure's averages in the FIBA U17 B-Division Tournament:

23.0p, 3.6r, 2.6a, 1.1b, 70.1 2P%, 31.6 3P%, 3.4 FTA, 70.8 FT%

Granted, the competition isn't super strong, but still very impressive and an example of his versatile play.

Reaction Score
Our staff has consistently shown they can close on their targets. Fit-Family Values-2 way players that are team first winners. Because of his geographic proximity to Storrs(UVs) and his ascending talents- I wouldn't worry about mutual interest as long as DH sees the fit.

Quality offers over quantity offers. Has been a successful strategy. Why fix it if it isn't broken?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hopefully we’re the next school to offer him, or that visit is set up in the near future. The sharks are circling, the kid isn’t some deep Connecticut secret anymore.
While under a different situation this may be a concern, I believe that it is very safe to say that our current staff knows what they are doing. They have a very specific approach to their recruiting and they aren't going dtray from that approach. Yes, we will lose out on players we want from time to time but if we lose this kid, I seriously doubt that it will be because our official offer arrived in November or December instead of June or July.

Reaction Score
While under a different situation this may be a concern, I believe that it is very safe to say that our current staff knows what they are doing. They have a very specific approach to their recruiting and they aren't going dtray from that approach. Yes, we will lose out on players we want from time to time but if we lose this kid, I seriously doubt that it will be because our official offer arrived in November or December instead of June or July.

Exactly. And ultimately, it may end up being a situation where a recruit "loses out" on UConn as opposed to us "losing out" on him.

Time will tell. Trust the process.

Reaction Score
Our staff has consistently shown they can close on their targets. Fit-Family Values-2 way players that are team first winners. Because of his geographic proximity to Storrs(UVs) and his ascending talents- I wouldn't worry about mutual interest as long as DH sees the fit.

Quality offers over quantity offers. Has been a successful strategy. Why fix it if it isn't broken?
But, but...he was offered by Penn State!

No matter where Abdou Toure ends up, best of luck to the kid. I'm not an expert in recruiting, but I'm smart enough not to question how Hurley and the staff. Not only have we been treated to two championship teams, but we've also been able to root for an excellent group of guys that are easy to like.

Reaction Score
Good article from the Register.

UConn, the two-time reigning national men’s basketball champion, has also shown interest. UConn associate head coach Kimani Young went to see him play in the SCC tournament semifinals and assistant Tom Moore in the SCC championship game two days later.

“I’ve been talking to them. It’s going good. Everything is a process. You have to be patient,” Toure, who will turn 17 in August, said about UConn.

He also made an unofficial visit last February, attending the UConn-Villanova game at Gampel Pavilion.

Shea said “UConn is absolutely in contact and following Abdou at all of these events.”

Alternate access:

Connecticut 16-year-old Abdou Toure is lighting up basketball showcases and drawing D1 offers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom