AB recognition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AB recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KO certainly seemed to light a fire under him after the first game. Has been pretty solid on the boards following the loss to Wagner and really making a difference in the game.

Reaction Score
I'm good with AB and his effort and results so far this young season. He's playing with a lot of passion even though he does not have an offensive game and has bricks as hands. 9 points, 10 rebounds, 4 blocks is a good night for him. I would sign for it for the rest of the year. And for those of you trashing him, you will be missing him next year when Enoch takes over in the paint.

Reaction Score
He had 2 games where he played well let's not start anointing him with AA honors he still gives up a ton of points leaving his guy... 9/10/4? I'm all in but needs to do that all the time, hope he does. But don't start calling out the people who know who he has been for the most part please.

I'm calling you out ...Amida doesn't give up points "leaving his guy" because, in this defense, he doesn't have "a guy." He's playing against the opposing team in it's entirety and doing a spectacular job of it. AB has terrible hands, cannot catch a pass below his waist if his life depended on it, fumbles rebounds he should catch cleanly, and is now shooting his one-handed free throws as though they were hand grenades - and with all that he is the best player on this team. He is not Ameka, he is not Thabeet, but then again I don't see Ray or Rip or Kemba on this team either. AB is not the problem, he is a part of the solution, which you would acknowledge if you had the basic maturity to step up and say - hey, I was wrong about this kid. But that's obviously blood from a stone.

Reaction Score
AB had a good game against a team that before the season started we would have been a +10 favorite. If he has bad games against not top talent high level competition. Playing against players much smaller than him why shouldn't we be upset with that? It's not like he has next year to work thru his problems. This is his last Harrah in Storrs.

Reaction Score
That shot was atrocious. Shaq-like. He looks completely different at the line this year.
Last night he was taking a ton of shots one-handed, that's new right? I'd say scrap it amida

and in his defense of missing bunnies, there was contact on a lot of those that if he were the guy to give the contact on the other end, he'd definitely be whistled for a foul. It has always felt like Facey and Brimah are held to a different standard than the guys they guard, for seasons

Reaction Score
watching him play now, it feels like something clicked for him after the first game. even if the shots not going down, he realized that he has to play harder for the team to win.

hope the same thing clicks for the rest of 'em..

He's brought a level of intensity to the game that no one else on the roster is matching.

It's easy to point at Purvis' shortcomings, but I think Adams has been a disappointment so far. I'm sure Ollie wants him to facilitate more, and I think in the early goings they push for that specifically, but Adams can fill it up, we need him doing more on offense, we need him punishing these teams for their lack in athleticism. Have guys like him and Purvis drive into the lane and be tricky with the ball to rack up lots of fouls on the other team and we can take them out of their game plans. Once a team has to stick a couple of guys in that aren't their ideal defenders, I think we can slice them up

Reaction Score
They have to beat OSU to play UNC I would think. Ok State averages 107 PPG, UConn hasn't even hit 70 yet. I wonder what we'll see, the uptempo style of OSU or the ugly half court UConn style. Hoping for the former.

He had 2 games where he played well let's not start anointing him with AA honors he still gives up a ton of points leaving his guy. If he plays this well all the time he deserves some kudos and he'd be a great fit. Let's see it against Ok State, UNC and the rest of the games. The people who step out now shouting how great he is and others need to admit it are laughable. I mean how many games has he sucked in over 3 plus years? Not sure where you people were then, oh yeah hiding.

Give me a break. I am happy with his play, even though it still has flaws it's exactly what the doctor ordered from him. Now we need more of this and all the time. Come to me when he throws a string together and carries this team as other bigs have then we can all eat crow. But admittedly his first 2 rebounds last night were in traffic and impressive for him, maybe 2 of the only times I have ever seen him win a battle of 3-4 people.

I agree with Crack he suddenly has lost his rhythm at the FT line though, has a little hitch or something and looks to be struggling. Weird. 9/10/4? I'm all in but needs to do that all the time, hope he does. But don't start calling out the people who know who he has been for the most part please.

Reaction Score
I'm very happy with how he played last night, the important thing is if he can be consistent with this performance and carry it into Maui and throughout the season.

Reaction Score
AB had a good game against a team that before the season started we would have been a +10 favorite. If he has bad games against not top talent high level competition. Playing against players much smaller than him why shouldn't we be upset with that? It's not like he has next year to work thru his problems. This is his last Harrah in Storrs.
AB had a bad first half against Wagner and has then played great for the next 2.5 games. If it's so easy to play well against these mutts then why are we 1 and 2? Why pick on one of the few players who is helping us win, as opposed to the larger group of players and coaches dragging us down? He beats up on midgets? Good, now let's teach the rest of the team how to do that. if he has a bad game against top competition I will acknowledge that, but it hasn't happened yet this year, and I see AB as much bigger and stronger and more confident in his play - time will tell. But for now, let's be happy we have him and we're not starting Enoch.

H

huskymagic

I think we can safely say Amida is our best big man and its not even close. Let's hope he continues to be a beast, leads us to the NCAA tournament, and becomes a first round pick. That will definitely help with big man recruiting. Without Amida, our team would be in serious trouble defensively.

Reaction Score
I'm calling you out ...Amida doesn't give up points "leaving his guy" because, in this defense, he doesn't have "a guy." He's playing against the opposing team in it's entirety and doing a spectacular job of it. AB has terrible hands, cannot catch a pass below his waist if his life depended on it, fumbles rebounds he should catch cleanly, and is now shooting his one-handed free throws as though they were hand grenades - and with all that he is the best player on this team. He is not Ameka, he is not Thabeet, but then again I don't see Ray or Rip or Kemba on this team either. AB is not the problem, he is a part of the solution, which you would acknowledge if you had the basic maturity to step up and say - hey, I was wrong about this kid. But that's obviously blood from a stone.

Call me out all you want we will agree to disagree and you're partially wrong like it or not. Would you like me to get on the Boneyard every time he chases a guy too far out off a hedge and never gets back on time? Or goes after a block only to have a dime slipped passed his body for a lay up? Geez he played good leave it alone.

Where the hell were you with all your ridiculous "look at me Amida's great" spew after 6'7" Neil Walk Jr from Wagner ate his lunch? Nowhere to be found as expected but now pound your chest because he beat up on Marymount. Maturity? Where's yours you idiot, learn the game before you come here with this crap. I gave him he was good you want "great"? He never is. And he is part of the problem because he does NOT know the game 4 years later and anyone that thinks he does obviously follows those foot steps rather easily. Thanks though for your profile of me like I give a rats a** what you think LOL

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Tipped my cap to Brimah in another thread regarding his effort last night. The rebounds were a tremendous improvement. I've always agreed with @mauconnfan that he's an incredibly flawed player but credit where credit is due. Also agree with with Mau that you are an absolute idiot to call out people that have criticized his game after the one time in blue moon our 7 foot center gets 10 boards.

Reaction Score
I wish AB's teammates would play knowing AB has terrible hands. Every time Larrier has fed him down low AB has lost control of the ball. Every pass to AB that's not an alleyoop AB either fumbles it or let's it go out of bounds. At this point it's not even AB's fault, he is who he is. It's more on his teammates for playing like AB has something more than a below average ability to catch a ball.

I have been impressed with AB's renewed energy to block the ball and put a lid on the basket. And yes he has improved on his rebounding but I would like to see how he fares against teams who have more height. I love his passion and energy but he still needs to continue getting better on the boards. Maui will be a great test for him on the boards, will need as much help as possible when it comes to rebounding.

Reaction Score
There are much bigger problems on this team than Amida Brimah no doubt. Rodney is awful for 3 games, sleep walking. Enoch needs to figure it out he looks like he's not close still and not very smart on the court. We can go on and on but while AB did have a good game, he and the whole senior class as a whole is part of the problem. We have 2 bigs from that class who we can't throw the ball into like real big men and that hurts any offense. Watch college basketball, other good programs have players who can catch on the block and make a move. We have one and he can't be on the floor. That makes it easier for offensive movement and floor spacing and without that you have a clogged up defense which we have seen for years now. The coaching can be better in game so I agree with that, but it's not on them for the guys to get better they're just limited. AB is playing like a man possessed and man I give him all the kudos in the world for going out like this if he continues to do this I will let Onions know so he can be content. It will not be his fault if this team has a bad year, it will be on injuries and the coaches recruiting less than skilled and smart basketball players. That needs to change and who knows, it may have with this class and prior. But the injuries now will not allow us to know the truth for another year it seems.

Reaction Score
I have been impressed with AB's renewed energy to block the ball and put a lid on the basket. And yes he has improved on his rebounding but I would like to see how he fares against teams who have more height. I love his passion and energy but he still needs to continue getting better on the boards. Maui will be a great test for him on the boards, will need as much help as possible when it comes to rebounding.

i feel similarly, but it should be noted that LMU was a pretty tall team! plus they have been averaging 40+ rebounds per game to uconn's ~36

really curious to see how brimah fares in maui. have my fingers crossed for a breakout game.

Reaction Score

Amida played well last night, but I would say Larrier is the best player on the team, at least through the first 3 games.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Agree as to your first point, it's unfair calling him out for leaving his man because it's obvious that's his job in this defense.

It would be nice to see a wing guy drop to his guy in a simple defensive rotate and sink, then "his guy" wouldn't have free layups.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The thing I like about Amida so far this year (in addition to good plays when they occur) is that he is maintaining a serious expression and is trying to really focus rather than acting like it's a big party to celebrate every block or good play, causing him to lose track of what to do even more than usual. I hope that this new attitude and focus can help him to make better decisions and be more aware of the big picture in the games. Time will tell if it makes any difference.

Reaction Score
Amida is becoming our vocal leader as well I noticed. Above and beyond the cheerleading style of seasons past. I saw him giving out instructions and doing some directional statements. This is great because Purvis seems sulky (perhaps due to his play) and Facey is not our leader (but I see him cheering the team on as much as anyone). Oh and Jalen seems distracted (perhaps getting his play together) and our next leader AG is, well . . . . a freshman.

Reaction Score
Call me out all you want we will agree to disagree and you're partially wrong like it or not. Would you like me to get on the Boneyard every time he chases a guy too far out off a hedge and never gets back on time? Or goes after a block only to have a dime slipped passed his body for a lay up? Geez he played good leave it alone.

Where the hell were you with all your ridiculous "look at me Amida's great" spew after 6'7" Neil Walk Jr from Wagner ate his lunch? Nowhere to be found as expected but now pound your chest because he beat up on Marymount. Maturity? Where's yours you idiot, learn the game before you come here with this crap. I gave him he was good you want "great"? He never is. And he is part of the problem because he does NOT know the game 4 years later and anyone that thinks he does obviously follows those foot steps rather easily. Thanks though for your profile of me like I give a rats a** what you think LOL

You already do go on the boneyard and complain about every single time you think he chases guys to far on a hedge, your NOT doing that would be something new. Yes he "played good" and I would be happy to leave it alone if it weren't for your constant bitchin and moanin about his play. Even in a game we won mostly because he was the most dominant force on the floor, the best you can do is go - yeah, well, maybe, but still ...

As for where I was after the Wagner game - well I left Gampel that nite pissed with everybody on the team with the exception of Gilbert, Larrier, Vital and Brimah - and I wrote about that opinion when other's (probably you among them) were pointing the finger at AB as though he was the reason we lost. He had a bad first half against Wagner and then totally dominated them, when he was on the floor, in the second half. Considering that most of the players and coaches had 2 bad half's against Wagner I figured he did OK.

Does he "know the game"? Obviously not to the same level that someone who has played it their whole life would, but much better than Enoch does and what's his excuse? Does he know the game better than he did 4 years ago - absolutely, and if you can't see that your willfully blind.

The questions that matter are these - has he shown improvement, does he play hard, is there anyone better who should be taking his minutes - the unqualified answer to these questions is yes yes no, so going on about his every dropped pass or missed bunny is foolish.

Reaction Score
He is a beast for UConn, but honestly he's terrible. They need a big man's coach as everyone has said and a better training program. Enoch looks awful. Facey plays well for 10-12 minutes/night, can't put 30 together it seems.

I think we can safely say Amida is our best big man and its not even close. Let's hope he continues to be a beast, leads us to the NCAA tournament, and becomes a first round pick. That will definitely help with big man recruiting. Without Amida, our team would be in serious trouble defensively.

Reaction Score
The thing I like about Amida so far this year (in addition to good plays when they occur) is that he is maintaining a serious expression and is trying to really focus rather than acting like it's a big party to celebrate every block or good play, causing him to lose track of what to do even more than usual. I hope that this new attitude and focus can help him to make better decisions and be more aware of the big picture in the games. Time will tell if it makes any difference.

Especially last night, he was focused. One play in the first half, he got a great block and immediately sprinted down the floor and was found for a beautiful fast break dunk, he looked as athletic as ever. My wife even pointed out how guys on LMU would be puffing their chests after a nice move, but Brimah was just getting down to business. I like how Purvis kind of plays to the student section at home at Gampel, after a fast break bucket he'll scream to the students or flex at them, but I hope the team follows the example Brimah is setting. Very professional out there right now

Also like how Ollie was a different Ollie in the first half. Sure it waned, but we need that and the kids need that, have his energy to feed off of

Reaction Score
You already do go on the boneyard and complain about every single time you think he chases guys to far on a hedge, your NOT doing that would be something new. Yes he "played good" and I would be happy to leave it alone if it weren't for your constant bitchin and moanin about his play. Even in a game we won mostly because he was the most dominant force on the floor, the best you can do is go - yeah, well, maybe, but still ...

As for where I was after the Wagner game - well I left Gampel that nite pissed with everybody on the team with the exception of Gilbert, Larrier, Vital and Brimah - and I wrote about that opinion when other's (probably you among them) were pointing the finger at AB as though he was the reason we lost. He had a bad first half against Wagner and then totally dominated them, when he was on the floor, in the second half. Considering that most of the players and coaches had 2 bad half's against Wagner I figured he did OK.

Does he "know the game"? Obviously not to the same level that someone who has played it their whole life would, but much better than Enoch does and what's his excuse? Does he know the game better than he did 4 years ago - absolutely, and if you can't see that your willfully blind.

The questions that matter are these - has he shown improvement, does he play hard, is there anyone better who should be taking his minutes - the unqualified answer to these questions is yes yes no, so going on about his every dropped pass or missed bunny is foolish.

Yeah he "totally dominated them" in the 2nd half with his 3/4/1 stats - wow! Anyone that saw domination is either a family member or willfully blind. You like him I get it. Best you don't read my posts then because I for one would prefer to be ignored by a dope calling me out after 2 good games because he finally played as we expected. You can respectfully disagree if you want but the "mature" crap has to go, obviously #1 you don't know me and #2 you need to check a mirror real soon.

Oh and the answers are yes very little for 3 plus years, yes he always had played hard that should be good for wins huh? of course and we have no one else. have a great night i need to go grab a maturity pill to get to your standards!~

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Especially last night, he was focused. One play in the first half, he got a great block and immediately sprinted down the floor and was found for a beautiful fast break dunk, he looked as athletic as ever. My wife even pointed out how guys on LMU would be puffing their chests after a nice move, but Brimah was just getting down to business. I like how Purvis kind of plays to the student section at home at Gampel, after a fast break bucket he'll scream to the students or flex at them, but I hope the team follows the example Brimah is setting. Very professional out there right now

I loved that sequence by Brimah. I don't mind players getting the crowd pumped up and having fun, but right now it just doesn't look good doing that stuff when we're 1-2 against the teams we've played.

Reaction Score
Yeah he "totally dominated them" in the 2nd half with his 3/4/1 stats - wow! Anyone that saw domination is either a family member or willfully blind. You like him I get it. Best you don't read my posts then because I for one would prefer to be ignored by a dope calling me out after 2 good games because he finally played as we expected. You can respectfully disagree if you want but the "mature" crap has to go, obviously #1 you don't know me and #2 you need to check a mirror real soon.

Oh and the answers are yes very little for 3 plus years, yes he always had played hard that should be good for wins huh? of course and we have no one else. have a great night i need to go grab a maturity pill to get to your standards!~

Anyone that judges a basketball player purely by his stat line has a limited view of what's going on. In the second half of the Wagner game he was THE dominant factor when he was on the floor - he was the single most important player for either side. That doesn't make him an all-american, it just makes him the best of a bad lot. I do not expect him to be that dominant when he goes up against better teams, but I do expect that he will be a positive factor for Uconn.

As for "he finally played as we expected" - who set up those expectations? Certainly AB didn't. He was an unranked nobody we grabbed in our post Calhoun/sanctioned purgatory. It sounds like your the one setting up unrealistic expectations and then being dissatisfied that they're not being met, and while I don't know you, I do know your postings, and I'm quite comfortable with the observations I've made. As for mirrors, well that's certainly a 2 way street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom