Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You do realize that Aaliyah is from Kingston, Ontario, not Quebec? ;)
Yes and I also realize her accent is that of Kingston Jamaica. ;)
You do realize Ontario is a Provence in Canada ... Eh .....

Reaction Score
ESPN apparently is unaware Edwards has committed. Hoop girls still blank and no short article on her commitment.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes and I also realize her accent is that of Kingston Jamaica. ;)
You do realize Ontario is a Provence in Canada ... Eh .....
Yes, Ontario is a province in Canada that borders on Quebec, the only French speaking province in Canada.....and by the way, the folks in Kingston, Jamaica speak English just like the folks in Kingston, ON. :cool:

Reaction Score
I’m with ya. Your assessment is spot on. So let’s hope we can get them both and see what happens. If they’re both here it may be the closest thing to watching what a team with D and Maya looks like.
Love this conversation but does it deserve its own thread? Expecting Edwards conversation.

Reaction Score
No, either '21 or '22. The only person I've seen make a definitive statement is PBR's Mark Williams who said '22. A recent article stated she'll graduate in just over a year and then would have to decide on her future. If she indeed graduates late next year I would think she'd be in the '21 class. She's so good that it's kinda hard to see her going to college though.
What makes anyone think she will be a lock for UConn? If she is as good as they say, she will have scholarship offers from every major college program in the country. That is assuming she doesn’t turn pro.

Reaction Score
No, either '21 or '22. The only person I've seen make a definitive statement is PBR's Mark Williams who said '22. A recent article stated she'll graduate in just over a year and then would have to decide on her future. If she indeed graduates late next year I would think she'd be in the '21 class. She's so good that it's kinda hard to see her going to college though.

If she is in the class of '22, that would make her a 21 year old freshman.

Reaction Score
What makes anyone think she will be a lock for UConn? If she is as good as they say, she will have scholarship offers from every major college program in the country. That is assuming she doesn’t turn pro.
I could be wrong but I don't think anyone stated that she's a lock to go to UConn. In fact, the general consensus is that she'll turn professional instead of attending college here in the States.

Reaction Score
Bonjour Aaliyah,
Bienvenu dans votre nouvelle maison loin de chez vous! :D
Just having fun, from your announcement video it is obvious what values you were looking for in the next level of education and basketball. Obviously you and your family realize you are coming to a top notch school and coaching staff beyond compare.
Your mom expressed just how at home you felt at Crestwood. Wait till she gets a grip on the number of surrogate parents, grand parents, uncles and aunts you signed on for. It's a UConn WBB family thing.
WELCOME TO THE PACK !
She is from the ENGLISH Canada West of Montreal I believe. English or French she is welcome in Connecticut and as you point out she will pick up a million or more FAMILY. In the W, where she is headed, there isn't a team where that extended isn't represented. As a stepping stone into the W she couldn't have picked better.

She could make some guys life ecstatic like Napheesa (Precious) Collier did recently by accepting his proposal.
Basketball isn't all that Uconn brings for the Women who play their!!

Reaction Score
They count regular season championships and tournament championships, so 2 per season are possible.
For many years that was a "given" for Uconn--2 per. Even 3 per. More if you count the Regionals??? But that is padding it. My belief the greatest achievement is the number of years over 20 wins (300 NCAA Div 1 teams would sell their souls for that) or the number of years with 30 win's ( only a dream for most Div 1 schools) Championships are great, I love em but the above is what really impresses me.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I read a quote years ago from Geno saying he didnt image himself coaching when he turned 70..Has that changed? Anyone have good intel about this?
That was before he realized how glorious 70 can be! :cool:

Reaction Score
She is from the ENGLISH Canada West of Montreal I believe. English or French she is welcome in Connecticut and as you point out she will pick up a million or more FAMILY. In the W, where she is headed, there isn't a team where that extended isn't represented. As a stepping stone into the W she couldn't have picked better.

She could make some guys life ecstatic like Napheesa (Precious) Collier did recently by accepting his proposal.
Basketball isn't all that Uconn brings for the Women who play their!!
No UConn players on the national champion Washington Mystics, so there's at least one team where the Huskies aren't represented.

Reaction Score
No UConn players on the national champion Washington Mystics, so there's at least one team where the Huskies aren't represented.
You are right. But only recently right. Because of the MANY UC players on W teams an some have multiples because they are so desired which leaves one or 2 with out a UC player. That happens--I said represented which does not indicate ALL teams have one--but all teams WANT one. (yea a biased UC poster)

Reaction Score
You are right. But only recently right. Because of the MANY UC players on W teams an some have multiples because they are so desired which leaves one or 2 with out a UC player. That happens--I said represented which does not indicate ALL teams have one--but all teams WANT one. (yea a biased UC poster)
You could count EDD... but that wouldn't really be fair.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow. I have mentioned in the past that the word "aliyah" (English spelling varies) in Hebrew means "to go up." Is there some other meaning? Many young women are getting this name, so perhaps there's something else to it.
In Hebrew "aliyah" is not a verb but a noun that is often translated as "ascent" (or "the act of going up") and has often been used to refer to Jewish migration to Israel.

But the use of Aaliyah as a female name actually comes from the Arabic. As an adjective (or, technically, an active participle), the word may be translated to English as "high", "exalted", "honorable", "remarkable", etc.

This is probably the best explanation I've heard of the Arabic-language origin and meaning of both the word and the name:

In light of Ms. Edwards' commitment, I really like what he says toward the end:

"If you carry the name Aaliyah, you have a responsibility, so to speak, to live up to your name by doing something outstanding, something remarkable. Your name in itself is a calling to be greater than the norm, to work out whatever is the average around you and to be better than that average. So in every aspect of your life, some scholars of language write, the person who carries this name should aim to be aaliyah in every single facet of human life. ... The one who carries this name should aim at all times to be exceptional, to be remarkable."​
May it be so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some recruiting experts feel Reese and Hailey Van Lith are extremely overrated.
Overrated compared whom? Recruiting experts? Like over the dozens of schools that have been recruiting Hailey Van Lith & Reese. Come on... give credit to these young ladies even though both decided UConn was not a good fit for them.

Reaction Score
In Hebrew "aliyah" is not a verb but a noun that is often translated as "ascent" (or "the act of going up") and has often been used to refer to Jewish migration to Israel.

But the use of Aaliyah as a female name actually comes from the Arabic. As an adjective (or, technically, an active participle), the word may be translated to English as "high", "exalted", "honorable", "remarkable", etc.

This is probably the best explanation I've heard of the Arabic-language origin and meaning of both the word and the name:

In light of Ms. Edwards' commitment, I really like what he says toward the end:

"If you carry the name Aaliyah, you have a responsibility, so to speak, to live up to your name by doing something outstanding, something remarkable. Your name in itself is a calling to be greater than the norm, to work out whatever is the average around you and to be better than that average. So in every aspect of your life, some scholars of language write, the person who carries this name should aim to be aaliyah in every single facet of human life. ... The one who carries this name should aim at all times to be exceptional, to be remarkable."​
May it be so.

Didn't say it was a verb. But your explanation is correct. Making aliyah (immigrating to Israel) denotes an act of ascension: such as going up to Jerusalem or going up to the bimah (location of the Torah) in synagogue to read and/or to offer a blessing. Ergo: "to go up."

Reaction Score
Overrated compared whom? Recruiting experts? Like over the dozens of schools that have been recruiting Hailey Van Lith & Reese. Come on... give credit to these young ladies even though both decided UConn was not a good fit for them.

I feel they are both overrated, I have been saying as much from the beginning of their recruitment. It has NOTHING to do with where they choose to go to school! By the way, I am not alone, many highly regarded recruiting experts feel the same way I do.

Reaction Score
I feel they are both overrated, I have been saying as much from the beginning of their recruitment. It has NOTHING to do with where they choose to go to school! By the way, I am not alone, many highly regarded recruiting experts feel the same way I do.
So who would you rank ahead of Reese and Van Lith on HoopGurlz that are behind them?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have seen very little of Reese. I understand that she is uber athletic, but a bit out of control and unorthodox. Those last 2 qualities seem unusual for the #2 recruit.

I've seen a lot of Hailey Van Lith videos and like her game and personality. She seems to be adding weight, so I hope that is not to her detriment. I watched extended Nika Muhl videos this week, and I prefer Nika to Hailey, even though I like Hailey Van Lith.

Reaction Score
You could count EDD... but that wouldn't really be fair.
I am one who was angered at her departure. We slightly knew her mother and that is one tough and grand woman, if EDD turns out to be half as nice, caring and decent she will do her mother proud. EDD angered me by leaving because she was that much of a talent. The image of EDD and Stewie on the same team still lingers in my brain. Thanks for remembering and thanks for noting it would have been unfair to treat her as a UConn former player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom