Aaliyah Edwards focused on improving for UConn women, even when working with Canadian National team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards focused on improving for UConn women, even when working with Canadian National team

Reaction Score
Anyone able to watch the games? Is Edwards playing the 4?
She's playing 4/5 depending on the situation. Games can be streamed on Courtside 1891 for a cost in the US. Canadians have to go through SportsnetNow's streaming service.

Reaction Score
She's playing 4/5 depending on the situation. Games can be streamed on Courtside 1891 for a cost in the US. Canadians have to go through SportsnetNow's streaming service.
Thanks! That's great. IMO, when the Canadians put her at the 3 is where they went wrong for her.

Reaction Score
Thanks! That's great. IMO, when the Canadians put her at the 3 is where they went wrong for her.

When? If you're referring to the Olympics, that's a long story. The roster depth at the time forced her into that position. A lot of veterans, some in their last tour with Canada Basketball. The current pool of players at this position is in flux depending the timing of a FIBA event and player availability.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
U.S. lost to a more experienced Brazil today. Brazil had Dantas, DeSouza, and a younger (?) Soares. U.S. had Betts, Johnson, Jackson, Kelly, Barker, Reese, Osborne, et al. U.S. shot 31% and did not win any quarter.

Reaction Score
U.S. lost to a more experienced Brazil today. Brazil had Dantas, DeSouza, and a younger (?) Soares. U.S. had Betts, Johnson, Jackson, Kelly, Barker, Reese, Osborne, et al. U.S. shot 31% and did not win any quarter.

Haven't watched the game yet but Betts' stats indicates she held her own. If you take her out of the equation, that FG% would lower. Will be interesting to see how this game actually played out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Canada beat Colombia by 34. Liya played only 18 minutes and had 6/3/4/2/1. She shot 67/NA/100. Much better!

Reaction Score
Bracket:
Brazil vs. Mexico
Puerto Rico vs. Venezuela
Canada vs. Argentina
United States vs. Colombia

Quarterfinals are on Friday.

It struck me today that back at the 2019 Final Four, Lindsey Harding was putting on her scouting hat for us assembled Duke folks and praising Aaliyah as well as Yvonne Ejim and then she had to coach against them earlier this week for Mexico. I cannot recall if she said anything about Nika or for that matter Georgia Amoore, who kind of showed why she was putting up numbers in Australia at that age, but did not necessarily show the potential to such a high level contributor at the college level.

Reaction Score
The "Soares" on the Brazilian team is Kamilla Cordozo (sp) of the University of South Carolina. She
is playing under her mother's name ( Janete Soares ). Both Mom and Dad are Brazilian. See the
FIBA Brazil team roster for the " SOARES" and Gamecock connections.

Reaction Score
Bracket:
Brazil vs. Mexico
Puerto Rico vs. Venezuela
Canada vs. Argentina
United States vs. Colombia

Quarterfinals are on Friday.

It struck me today that back at the 2019 Final Four, Lindsey Harding was putting on her scouting hat for us assembled Duke folks and praising Aaliyah as well as Yvonne Ejim and then she had to coach against them earlier this week for Mexico. I cannot recall if she said anything about Nika or for that matter Georgia Amoore, who kind of showed why she was putting up numbers in Australia at that age, but did not necessarily show the potential to such a high level contributor at the college level.
Sorry, but I don't understand/get the point you're trying to make here. Aaliyah and Yvonne weren't in university at this point? Which final four are you referring to? If it's the FIBA U19 Worlds, Canada didn't make it to the semi-finals.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I don't understand/get the point you're trying to make here. Aaliyah and Yvonne weren't in university at this point? Which final four are you referring to? If it's the FIBA U19 Worlds, Canada didn't make it to the semi-finals.
Aaliyah looks good, and couldn't miss that she was playing with her mask on. I guess that may answer the question about that this year.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah looks good, and couldn't miss that she was playing with her mask on. I guess that may answer the question about that this year.

She had surgery after the season. Not saying whether or not she will wear it for the season though

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Canada beat the D.R. by 40. Liya played 17 minutes and had 10/6/1/0/2. She shot 3-5 from the floor and 4-6 from the line.

Reaction Score
The 2019 NCAA Final Four featured an NBA Academy event where four teams worth of recruiting age foreign players played some exhibition games in front of college coaches and a crowd. Nika was the MVP and Aaliyah was on her team. Yvonne and Georgia Amoore were the other two who had the most college prominence. I wish that I had gotten my roster back after letting a UConn fan borrow it, but I know that Ruby Porter, who played at Nebraska, and Shelby Rayner, who last played at Northwestern State were also participants. Outside of a few countries, they were not able to attract many top prospects because this was probably around the peak of mistrust of the NBA by the major federations around the world.

They also had the same event planned in 2020, but it obviously was not played. In 2022, they replaced that time in the programming with a USA Basketball senior national team open practice, which was vaguely fun, especially when Kelsey Plum launched her giveaway t-shirt over the entire set of bleachers. They moved the NBA Academy equivalent to the summer, but basically gave no info about it to the public.

Reaction Score
The 2019 NCAA Final Four featured an NBA Academy event where four teams worth of recruiting age foreign players played some exhibition games in front of college coaches and a crowd. Nika was the MVP and Aaliyah was on her team. Yvonne and Georgia Amoore were the other two who had the most college prominence. I wish that I had gotten my roster back after letting a UConn fan borrow it, but I know that Ruby Porter, who played at Nebraska, and Shelby Rayner, who last played at Northwestern State were also participants. Outside of a few countries, they were not able to attract many top prospects because this was probably around the peak of mistrust of the NBA by the major federations around the world.

They also had the same event planned in 2020, but it obviously was not played. In 2022, they replaced that time in the programming with a USA Basketball senior national team open practice, which was vaguely fun, especially when Kelsey Plum launched her giveaway t-shirt over the entire set of bleachers. They moved the NBA Academy equivalent to the summer, but basically gave no info about it to the public.
Ah...........you're referring to Basketball without Borders. The reference to the FInal Four is what confused me. I think you have MVPs confused as Aaliyah earned that award.

Reaction Score
13 points and 16 rebounds for Aaliyah as Canada won, but not convincingly against Argentina:

All the games:

The results mean that Canada needs to win against the United States to have a chance at direct qualification to a February Olympic qualifying tournament instead of having to play an additional tournament.

Ah...........you're referring to Basketball without Borders. The reference to the FInal Four is what confused me. I think you have MVPs confused as Aaliyah earned that award.

Wait, are you repeatedly suggesting that I hallucinated a day of my life? ;)

There are definitely some people on this board who wish that they had been hallucinating the night before.

The event is as I described. Here is an article talking about its impact a few years later:
Code:
http://www.thenexthoops (.com) /ncaaw/nba-academy-womens-program-alumnae-ncaa-tournament/

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Canada defeated Argentina 68-60 to set up a match-up with Team USA in the semi-finals. Aaliyah's finished with 13 pts, 16 rebounds and 3 assists. Nirra Fields led Canada in scoring (22 points) on 27 shots. Aaliyah took 9 shots. I don't see Canada beating the US if they don't do a better job of sharing the ball.

Reaction Score
Canada defeated Argentina 68-60 to set up a match-up with Team USA in the semi-finals. Aaliyah's finished with 13 pts, 16 rebounds and 3 assists. Nirra Fields led Canada in scoring (22 points) on 27 shots. Aaliyah took 9 shots. I don't see Canada beating the US if they don't do a better job of sharing the ball.

And I don’t see the US beating Canada if they have 4 assists

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but that's what you get when you don't have any UConn players on the team... I know why there aren't any since almost all the UConn Americans are rehabbing...

Reaction Score
13 points and 16 rebounds for Aaliyah as Canada won, but not convincingly against Argentina:

All the games:

The results mean that Canada needs to win against the United States to have a chance at direct qualification to a February Olympic qualifying tournament instead of having to play an additional tournament.

Wait, are you repeatedly suggesting that I hallucinated a day of my life? ;)

There are definitely some people on this board who wish that they had been hallucinating the night before.

The event is as I described. Here is an article talking about its impact a few years later:
Code:
http://www.thenexthoops (.com) /ncaaw/nba-academy-womens-program-alumnae-ncaa-tournament/

I'm just saying you had the MVPs confused because Aaliyah won, not Nika. The event is as you described however it's called Basketball without Borders. While it does happen during the Final Four weekend, I've never heard it referenced as a Final Four event the way you framed it.

Reaction Score
And I don’t see the US beating Canada if they have 4 assists

Both can be true, however I see the big story of the game being in the post tonight. Canada's depth is going to be tested more than it has all tournament.

Alexander is a savvy veteran, but can she keep up with Betts. If she has foul trouble like yesterday, Potter is going to have to come off the bench and provide some serious minutes which makes me leery.

Reese vs Aaliyah is another interesting battle. Reese has been able to draw fouls against weaker teams this event but she was benched for most of the Argentina game due to foul trouble and she struggled making shots. Will she get frustrated and get called with offensive fouls or has she learned?

Aaliyah has been relatively clean with respect to fouls. She had a double double against Argentina which contrasts Reese's performance.

Hopefully Fields won't take as many shots as she did last night, but I'm not sure. She seems to have the green light which I find a tad surprising.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom