Aaliyah Edwards focused on improving for UConn women, even when working with Canadian National team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards focused on improving for UConn women, even when working with Canadian National team

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what time the game is and if there is a flatform where we can see it?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what time the game is and if there is a flatform where we can see it?

It's at 10:10 PM (EST). If in the US, you can stream it for free via Courtside 1891. You'll need to create an account.

Reaction Score
Tough loss for Canada even though Aaliyah had 14 points and 11 rebounds as they just could not get their guards going:

The 67-63 loss to the United States means that Brazil takes the other direct spot in Olympic qualifying from the Americas. Canada will be have to finish as one of the top two out of four teams to move on to the final qualifying tournament. While, college players are unlikely to be available, WNBA players should be selectable.

I'm just saying you had the MVPs confused because Aaliyah won, not Nika. The event is as you described however it's called Basketball without Borders. While it does happen during the Final Four weekend, I've never heard it referenced as a Final Four event the way you framed it.
No, they are two separate events. The one that Aaliyah won MVP of was the Basketball Without Borders at the NBA All Star weekend in February of that year:

Some of the players at the event that I am talking about are listed here:

As you can see, there were some of the same participants, but also a lot of differences. FIBA is involved in BWB, but was not involved in this.

Reaction Score
AE played well. She was matched up with Rickea Jackson and Angel Reese a lot. She held her own for sure.

Reaction Score
AE played well. She was matched up with Rickea Jackson and Angel Reese a lot. She held her own for sure.

Agreed. Physical game too. Enjoyed watching the battle. Didn't enjoy seeing Canada's guards make the shot selections they made :(. Nor their lack of composure. Colley letting Kelly get to her and earn a technical? That's not a veteran play.

However, US fans of their respective clubs should be excited on how these guards played. Going up against some veterans who have over a decade of pro experience isn't an easy feat.

Reaction Score
Tough loss for Canada even though Aaliyah had 14 points and 11 rebounds as they just could not get their guards going:

The 67-63 loss to the United States means that Brazil takes the other direct spot in Olympic qualifying from the Americas. Canada will be have to finish as one of the top two out of four teams to move on to the final qualifying tournament. While, college players are unlikely to be available, WNBA players should be selectable.

No, they are two separate events. The one that Aaliyah won MVP of was the Basketball Without Borders at the NBA All Star weekend in February of that year:

Some of the players at the event that I am talking about are listed here:

As you can see, there were some of the same participants, but also a lot of differences. FIBA is involved in BWB, but was not involved in this.

Mea culpa. I thought they had some involvement with the NBA program as well.

Reaction Score
Canada led with 2:00 to go. I’m tempted to say the guard play left the bigs free to operate. But the highlights just don’t show enough to know. Prosper and Aaliyah looked really good.

Reaction Score
Canada led with 2:00 to go. I’m tempted to say the guard play left the bigs free to operate. But the highlights just don’t show enough to know. Prosper and Aaliyah looked really good.
Yeah Prosper was pretty impressive. She was basically posting up and going one on one and the us guards couldn't handle her. I was definitely impressed by her and overall both teams. There was lot of skilled one on one play in my opinion. It was a good game. It felt like the US was in control for most of the game until Canada made a few plays and suddenly took the lead. It was like 58-61 and Deja Kelly drew a key foul that stopped the bleeding ( I didn't love the play as I thought she was just looking for the foul).Then Rickea Jackson stepped up big time. Overall it was a good showing from both sides imo. AE continues to show she can score in a variety of ways and defend at a high level.
Not to be to effusive with my praise but Lauren Betts looked like one team usas top 3 players. Of course she has the size but from a fake scout/fan perspective the things u would want to see is how physical does she want to be and how dominant can she be. She was super physical, even though her primary matchup on the Canada side was over 10 years her senior with a decade long of professional experience. She was consistently calling for the ball and composed in the post, scoring with both hands. And then defensively she played big and altered or blocked a handful of shots. Couldn't have been more impressed tbh.

Reaction Score
It did, however when two guards take 30+ shots and aren't efficient with their shooting, the bigs being free to operate is pointless. Shay Colley was 2/14, Fields was 6/24. Ludicrous.

Reaction Score
It did, however when two guards take 30+ shots and aren't efficient with their shooting, the bigs being free to operate is pointless. Shay Colley was 2/14, Fields was 6/24. Ludicrous.
Indeed. I was thinking of both teams. Some good post play, but mainly because the bigs tended to have a "clean" lane with no double teams. The highlights don't really show how that was accomplished.

Reaction Score
Deja Kelly drew a key foul that stopped the bleeding ( I didn't love the play as I thought she was just looking for the foul).
Welcome to Kelly ball. Seems like it's mainly an artifact of hs and college ball. I don't think the little guards who've built their style around this vision of their own talents have a future in the pros.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Cancontent, I watched the entire game start to finish. I was gobsmacked at how atrocious the Canadian guards were the entire game. It wasn't just their poor shooting percentages, which were horrific. Combined, Fields and Colley must have missed at least a dozen shots that weren't even close, including a handful of lay-ups that were just chucked up in the vicinity of the backboard. The US guards were just daring the Canadian guards to go one-on-one and fire away, and Fields and Colley were happy to oblige. Their clock management and ball handling were abysmal as well. I expected better and was disappointed.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Canada defeated Puerto Rico to finish a disappointing 3rd in the Americup. This was Aaliyah's worst shooting game - 2/9 with 9 rebounds. She played fewer minutes in this game so perhaps the coach sensed some fatigue. She logged a lot of minutes in the tournament. I thought she had a shot at the all tournament team but today's game probably hurt her chances.

Reaction Score
Cancontent, I watched the entire game start to finish. I was gobsmacked at how atrocious the Canadian guards were the entire game. It wasn't just their poor shooting percentages, which were horrific. Combined, Fields and Colley must have missed at least a dozen shots that weren't even close, including a handful of lay-ups that were just chucked up in the vicinity of the backboard. The US guards were just daring the Canadian guards to go one-on-one and fire away, and Fields and Colley were happy to oblige. Their clock management and ball handling were abysmal as well. I expected better and was disappointed.

Oh please don't get me started because the decision making of those two cost Canada this game, but it made the Argentina QF even harder than necessary.

For someone with as long a tenure as Fields, she should know better. Colley as well. When she fell for the bait when Kelly got away with trash talking a play or two earlier and got hit with the technical, I was ready to throw something at my laptop.

Like someone said on Twitter, Canada seems to be doing fine with the development of posts and forwards. Guards are severely lacking and we're in need of a deeper pool to sustain any long term international success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom