Aaliyah Edwards focused on improving for UConn women, even when working with Canadian National team | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards focused on improving for UConn women, even when working with Canadian National team

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Aaliyah Edwards joined her UConn women's basketball teammates here on June 11 and was back on the road in less than a week. Don't think for a second the senior forward is slacking. “I've been busy," Edwards said with a smile last week at the Werth Champions Center. "A lot of training and a lot of exhibition games with the (Canadian) national team to prepare for the Olympic qualifiers.”

Carnac

Reaction Score
"the room for improvement" very clever. The photo of Geno and Aaliyah is a "caption this" if I ever saw one.
As I've mentioned before in a previous comment recently, I expect Aaliyah to put together all of the coaching (mentoring) and playing experiences she's had to this point, and use them to fuel her best year yet at UConn. Very possibly a WBCA "consensus" All-American performance. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I guess I didn't see enough games last year. I thought she was a shoe in 2nd Team last year.
She may have been, but other players in the league had a better year (statistically) than she did. There are a lot of things I like about Aliyah Boston. One is her consistency, the second is her willingness to battle for rebounds under the offensive boards.

She continues to play at the next level (and with the same success) as she did in college. She’s been a starter from day one. She had 20+ points with double-digit rebounds in the Indiana Fever’s last two games. Other than a different head coach, new teammates, and a different home court, nothing has changed.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I guess I didn't see enough games last year. I thought she was a shoe in 2nd Team last year.

Liya slumped a little in February, as the team did. Once again, her production was down when she got in foul trouble and had to sit.

Reaction Score
Didn't know if this deserves a separate thread, but as an FYI. AmeriCup isn't available on YouTube, or at least during pool play.

It looks like you have to register with Courtside 1891 and purchase a package. Canadian games may or may not be restricted on the US side due to broadcast rights to Rogers in Canada.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She may have been, but other players in the league had a better year (statistically) than she did. There are a lot of things I like about Aliyah Boston. One is her consistency, the second is her willingness to battle for rebounds under the offensive boards.
But she needs to bring it the entire game like Dorka did. She takes too many plays off.

Reaction Score
Are we using this thread for AmeriCup?

Aaliyah had 9 points and 8 rebounds in their win over Mexico:

They had the bye on the first day so other teams already played on Saturday. I am doing quick recaps of the tournament each day here:

Reaction Score
Are we using this thread for AmeriCup?

Aaliyah had 9 points and 8 rebounds in their win over Mexico:

They had the bye on the first day so other teams already played on Saturday. I am doing quick recaps of the tournament each day here:
Could have had more if she hit her free throws and a couple of wide open layups she created for herself.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah Edwards joined her UConn women's basketball teammates here on June 11 and was back on the road in less than a week. Don't think for a second the senior forward is slacking. “I've been busy," Edwards said with a smile last week at the Werth Champions Center. "A lot of training and a lot of exhibition games with the (Canadian) national team to prepare for the Olympic qualifiers.”

We can only hope….as several years ago when she was on the Canadian Olympic team there was very little strength & conditioning, and it showed when she returned for the season. She is the one definite coming into this season. WE know that if she’s in the best shape you’re going to get her ‘A Game’ every she hits the floor, and she will be counted on to help the other bigs as well.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20230703_132103_Instagram.jpg

Reaction Score
She played way too many minutes for a big. If she had played normal minutes she most likely would have been on the 2nd team but she went through a stretch where she was on fumes. The good think though is her experience last year was only possible because of the team that was healthy. Perfect example of someone seeing the door and busting through it.

I also think she will have an outstanding year and should be one of the top 5 picks in the draft.

Reaction Score
It's coming along if you've seen the thread talking about her summer homework. She extended her range last season. It's a work in progress.

Reaction Score
14 points for Aaliyah to lead Canada to another win:

The game was close in the first half, but it was all Canada in the second half. Obviously the other games have to be played (including USA-Brazil on Tuesday), but this was key to setting them up in strong position at the top of their group.

The United States was off, but here were the other games (including a team scoring 30 to win by 21 in overtime):

Reaction Score
14 points for Aaliyah to lead Canada to another win:

The game was close in the first half, but it was all Canada in the second half. Obviously the other games have to be played (including USA-Brazil on Tuesday), but this was key to setting them up in strong position at the top of their group.

The United States was off, but here were the other games (including a team scoring 30 to win by 21 in overtime):

Let's not forget her team high 5 assists ;). She also bounced back from a rough first half (1 point) with a strong 3rd quarter that helped Canada pull away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom