AAC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You made the comment that I should visit East Catholic to see their basketball facilities that rival ECU's. Regarding football facilities, having been in both the Shenk and Burt as well as Rentschler many times I stand by my comments regarding ECU facilities. I have a hard time believing you can make the same claim vis a vis ECU and East Catholic basketball practice facilities.

Since I don't go out of my way to visit the practice facilities of the 250th best basketball team in the country I am working off the picture.

Very impressive to say the least.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Screwed, or not, we are here in the AAC. It is reality. Deal with it. Self loathing or conference-mate deprecation won't help a thing.
Sounds like the formerly rich kid in a new neighborhood. But all he does is talk about how great his old home was and how much this one sucks. And your surprised your new neighbors don't feel your pain.

Reaction Score
Since I don't go out of my way to visit the practice facilities of the 250th best basketball team in the country I am working off the picture.

Didn't go out of my way either. Happened to be there to cheer for the Huskies in October. I have no idea why you choose to denigrate the ECU basketball facilities when you have never seen them. Again, I am not equating the ECU basketball program with UConn but am at least trying to be honest with my comments.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Didn't go out of my way either. Happened to be there to cheer for the Huskies in October. I have no idea why you choose to denigrate the ECU basketball facilities when you have never seen them. Again, I am not equating the ECU basketball program with UConn but am at least trying to be honest with my comments.

I chose to denigrate them based on the picture in this thread.

If there is other evidence that makes their facilities look better than the average affulent high school I'd be happy to consider it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Screwed, or not, we are here in the AAC. It is reality. Deal with it. Self loathing or conference-mate deprecation won't help a thing.
Sounds like the formerly rich kid in a new neighborhood. But all he does is talk about how great his old home was and how much this one sucks. And your surprised your new neighbors don't feel your pain.

40 years a fan eh? And willing to accept the AAC? Have to give you credit for that. Where are you sitting tomorrow? Your beers are on me.

Reaction Score
I hate how people say we have to "earn" our way into a power conference. WE WERE IN ONE FOR 30 YEARS and did nothing but win. Meanwhile we see programs like Pitt and Rutgers hit big time after winning nothing and their fan's telling us we need to improve our football even though we beat them constantly on our way to 2 conference titles. So Memphis guy, beat it and never come back because any reminder of us having to deal with the reality of being in this trash heap after years of dominating a power conference will get you nothing but trouble.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You could have stopped there. Just make that your motto already, you pretty much spend your entire day doing it.

So cruel with your arrows. I'm sorry that I am ok with not pretending that something sucks.

Reaction Score
because any reminder of us having to deal with the reality

We are "the basketball capital of the world". Reality is a good thing for us. I am being sincere when I say that. Some people don't know how to smell the roses.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
[/QUOTE="UofMemphis, post: 1203658, member: 4165"]AAC gets 4 NCAA spots
CUSA gets 1

CUSA has a terrible TV contract that relegates all their games to CBSSN or FS1/2

CUSA earns 1/3 the money of the AAC.

as I said, you guys need to learn how the other half lives.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45ehljf/6-american/

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45ehljf/9-conference-usa/[/QUOTE]
I thought that's what we were doing in the American. Let me tell you, it sucks, but we have got no place better to go so... um year AAC...I guess.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
40 years a fan eh? And willing to accept the AAC? Have to give you credit for that. Where are you sitting tomorrow? Your beers are on me.
I

I accept reality. I hope we get to the B1G. Unlike a lot of people here, I lived through times when we had nothing. I think a lot of fans think they are owed on-going championships. I want them. But I know how hard it is to get there. I want to be in the best conference.
I just don't feel entitled to it.

I'm speaking in general, not to you, I don't get the fans who feel owed. I think I'm lucky to be a fan of this team and what has been created at UCONN. I know my contribution to that success has been almost zero. Some guys are pi**ed at the players and staff like the poster is out there working hiss butt off

Reaction Score
We are "the basketball capital of the world". Reality is a good thing for us. I am being sincere when I say that. Some people don't know how to smell the roses.

Yes reality is we won titles in our past but fact is our future is in a conference which is leading us right to the poison well. In this case the roses really smell like poo-poo-oo

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I

I accept reality. I hope we get to the B1G. Unlike a lot of people here, I lived through times when we had nothing. I think a lot of fans think they are owed on-going championships. I want them. But I know how hard it is to get there. I want to be in the best conference.
I just don't feel entitled to it.

I'm speaking in general, not to you, I don't get the fans who feel owed. I think I'm lucky to be a fan of this team and what has been created at UCONN. I know my contribution to that success has been almost zero. Some guys are pi**ed at the players and staff like the poster is out there working hiss butt off

I'm a bit younger than you but lived through the 80's.

I really give you credit for accepting the AAC. I find myself struggling to get through the games.

I don't feel like UConn deserves good teams - I do feel like they deserve to play at the highest level.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I agree that we were royally screwed from several directions at once. I believe we should be considered one of the three best teams in the NCAA after the last 16 years. (I say screw NC & Kansas) and should be seated in a conference accordingly. I don't have rose colored glasses.

I also believe this conference is hurting us and, unless it gets better, it will continue and get worse.
But what can you do? Try to get in a better conference, play a strong OOC schedule & hope the AAC teams improve.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes reality is we won titles in our past but fact is our future is in a conference which is leading us right to the poison well. In this case the roses really smell like poo-poo-oo
If we're the defending National champs does that still count as winning championships "in our past? If so when is a championship a current one... Just wondering.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that we were royally screwed from several directions at once. I believe we should be considered one of the three best teams in the NCAA after the last 16 years. (I say screw NC & Kansas) and should be seated in a conference accordingly. I don't have rose colored glasses.

I also believe this conference is hurting us and, unless it gets better, it will continue and get worse.
But what can you do? Try to get in a better conference, play a strong OOC schedule & hope the AAC teams improve.

I guess I can't pretend the AAC teams are going to get better. They aren't new to basketball.

I'll give SMU credit. They went all in and got better. Sure they will end up with an amazing academic scandal - but at least they tried.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If we're the defending National champs does that still count as winning championships "in our past? If so when is a championship a current one... Just wondering.

It's a pretty legitimate point that winning a championship out of the AAC with players recruited to the Big East might not be repeatable.

Reaction Score
It's a pretty legitimate point that winning a championship out of the AAC with players recruited to the Big East might not be repeatable.

Compare the recruiting rankings of Giffey, Napier and Daniels to the rankings of Hamilton, Adams, Enoch, Samuel, Facey, Pervis, Calhoun and you will be surprised. Current evidence suggests there has been no drop in recruiting at all in spite of all the doomsday talk on this board.

and I didn't even bring up Brimah (just about any school would take him off our hands) and Cassell who had a Louisville offer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well today is January 25, 2014 so anything before that is the past and anything after that is the future. I thought this was day one stuff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Compare the recruiting rankings of Giffey, Napier and Daniels to the rankings of Hamilton, Adams, Enoch, Samuel, Facey, Pervis, Calhoun and you will be surprised. Current evidence suggests there has been no drop in recruiting at all in spite of all the doomsday talk on this board.

Well I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single post where I said anything negative about recruiting or the job Kevin Ollie has done.

I'm not talking about today so much as where things are going.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about today so much as where things are going.
I'll tell you where things are going, UCONN will add a third blue chipper to the 2015 class, that's where its going.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'll tell you where things are going, UCONN will add a third blue chipper to the 2015 class, that's where its going.

Yeah we aren't talking about the same time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom