AAC tourney crowd | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC tourney crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was way too optimistic after the SMU win that I bought tickets for the Saturday and Sunday sessions, and didn't get Friday tickets because I wasn't going to be able to make the 2 pm game. With the way things have panned out, I'll be able to make the 9:00 pm game on Thursday (and hopefully on Friday).

If UConn loses, then I'll most likely still go to the other games because I already have the tickets and I like college basketball. The casual fan will scoff at teams like Temple or SMU, but I have a feeling that SMU is going to make an extremely deep run in the NCAA's this year

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
UConn hasn't played a one and done elimination postseason game in Hartford since 1980 (last time big east tourney was here?). Damn right I'll be there and ready to witness history, again.

Reaction Score
UConn hasn't played a one and done elimination postseason game in Hartford since 1980 (last time big east tourney was here?). Damn right I'll be there and ready to witness history, again.

Actually, no. During the Dream Season, UConn played its first two tourney games at the Civic Center.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Actually, no. During the Dream Season, UConn played its first two tourney games at the Civic Center.

Ohhh. Did not know that. Clearly I didn't fact check before making the statement, but I thought it was against tourney rules to play games on a court you played more than 5(?) games on as the home team in that season (at least for the first two rounds). Maybe it wasn't then?

I was also 5 then so don't have the memory to remember those games either. But I did have the 1990 BE champs banner on my wall as a kid!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ohhh. Did not know that. Clearly I didn't fact check before making the statement, but I thought it was against tourney rules to play games on a court you played more than 5(?) games on as the home team in that season.

I was also 5 then so don't have the memory to remember those games either. But I did have the 1990 BE champs banner on my wall as a kid!

They actually made it a rule just after that - they might as well have named it after us.

Of course, the North Carolina teams have been receiving home town assignments in the decades since.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
They actually made it a rule just after that - they might as well have named it after us.

Of course, the North Carolina teams have been receiving home town assignments in the decades since.

Ah, the Stop-Jim-Calhoun-From-Winning-Because-He's-Loud-And-Rough-And-We-Don't-Like-Him Rule, Version 1.

Oh please. UNC plays regular season games in Chapel Hill and Duke in Durham. They don't have fans in Greensboro, Wilmington or Raleigh!

Reaction Score
Ohhh. Did not know that. Clearly I didn't fact check before making the statement, but I thought it was against tourney rules to play games on a court you played more than 5(?) games on as the home team in that season (at least for the first two rounds). Maybe it wasn't then?

Yeah they changed the rules right after or within a few years. I vaguely remember going to see the 2nd round game against Indiana but I was pretty young as well. On another note it would be nice if the XL Center got to host again, the last time they did was almost 2 decades ago when UNC Charlotte almost beat the Vince Carter and Antwan Jamison UNC team, heck there was still a mall at the XL Center at the time, that is how long it has been.

Reaction Score
Yeah they changed the rules right after or within a few years. I vaguely remember going to see the 2nd round game against Indiana but I was pretty young as well. On another note it would be nice if the XL Center got to host again, the last time they did was almost 2 decades ago when UNC Charlotte almost beat the Vince Carter and Antwan Jamison UNC team, heck there was still a mall at the XL Center at the time, that is how long it has been.
I was at that game. Heck I must have been all of 13 or 14, and now I'm in my late 40s. IIRC there were issues with how Hartford handled that round of games, and the NCAA never came back

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Which makes you a very, very rich man.
Rich-Businessman-Lighting-Cigar-With-100-Dollar-Bill-Shutterstock.jpg

caw

Reaction Score
The reason people should have some hope in UConn playing at home is that yes UConn has 4 losses at home this year but 3 were last second shots where UConn was winning. The fourth was in OT without Boat. Four losses by 7 points (3 regulation games by 3 points).

Have to believe UConn has a very good shot at any game at home, even if some believe the teams are just better.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what is the cheapest garage for this event on Thursday near XL? Been parking at the convention center garage. Not a fun walk anymore.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
You were 14 in 1990 and you are in your late 40's? I thought I was aging quickly....

Actually, since it was regarding the 1997 NCAA tournament in Hartford, he was 13 or 14 in 1997 and is now in his late 40s, lol.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I remember those tournament games, too. I was 12 (and am now 30, not late 40s) I remember begging my mother to bring me to open practice to see "the greatest team ever, North Carolina" with Carter and Jamison. So naive.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what is the cheapest garage for this event on Thursday near XL? Been parking at the convention center garage. Not a fun walk anymore.

Dirt lot on the other side of 84 off Main st. 6 bucks.

Reaction Score
You were 14 in 1990 and you are in your late 40's? I thought I was aging quickly....

was UNC in Hartford for another round in the early 80s? I know I want to an early round NCAA game, and UNC was in it. I'm too lazy to Google.

Ok, I did Google, it was 1983 and UNC wasn't there. Years of hookers and blow have really done a number on my memory.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There are no cheap garages near. The Morgan St. Garage is cheap and closer but still a bit of an uphill walk.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The surface lots are $5 right off 84 and way easier to get out of.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I have a feeling the price of parking is gonna be higher just because most sessions are multiple games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The surface lots are $5 right off 84 and way easier to get out of.
That's where I go, but they raised the price to $6. At least they clear the walks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom