AAC Student-Athletes Make Demands (Covid safety protocols, hazard pay, 20% revenue sharing) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AAC Student-Athletes Make Demands (Covid safety protocols, hazard pay, 20% revenue sharing)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Bottom line is there not enough $$$ to go around for student athletes from endorsements or any source. How many pro’s have significant endorsement contracts. The only players that will make anything are those to be projected
early draft picks. How many UConn players would get endorsements? From who?
I don’t know. Why does it matter? They get what ever they can get; couple grand here, a few more there. Some will do pretty well. Lots of boosters will step up for select kids with contracts small and large especially QBs.

I don’t think the schools will ever pay the players cash directly. They don’t want employees.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. Why does it matter? They get what ever they can get; couple grand here, a few more there. Some will do pretty well. Lots of boosters will step up for select kids with contracts small and large especially QBs.

I don’t think the schools will ever pay the players cash directly. They don’t want employees.
Boosters?? N.C.A.A. will allow that

Reaction Score

Boosters stepped up years ago! That brought oversight and recruiting violations.
SMU and death sentence

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Boosters stepped up years ago! That brought oversight and recruiting violations.
SMU and death sentence
And now its time to make all that stuff legal as long as the income is reported via a NCAA sanctioned contract.

Funny thing is, boosters and whomever else are going to make a lot of mistakes and thats okay - lessons will be learned.

Reaction Score
And now its time to make all that stuff legal as long as the income is reported via a NCAA sanctioned contract.

Funny thing is, boosters and whomever else are going to make a lot of mistakes and thats okay - lessons will be learned.

Booster involvement in contracts will never be allowed! College sports will not exist
the power five would harvest ALL the talent and leave everyone further behind.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Booster involvement in contracts will never be allowed! College sports will not exist
the power five would harvest ALL the talent and leave everyone further behind.
So your alternative is what; the status quo where kids create value for the school but have zero opportunity to ever collect on any of it beyond their generous scholarship (which is enhanced with academic support)? I don't see the schools ever paying anything beyond a modest cash stipend. They don't ever want to be in a position to call this labor and as importantly, they dont want to be also in a position of deciding recruit X gets a 20k salary and recruit Y gets 50k. They dont want to get directly involved in pay grades and what is sure to be a somewhat foolish endeavor assigning specific values to kids. Instead, let the fan market place do that for you.

As for the power 5, they are already harvesting most of the talent; so what could change? What gives the G5 any chance in todays environment and in the future is the same as it has always been: playing time & patience to allow for player development. Most P5 schools are taking the kids that a much closer to a finished product. Most of the G5 schools are taking kids that need 1-3 years of development. Thanks to the fact that humans grow at different speeds, we have to wait to see if that four star kid is already maxed out as an 18 year old while that two star kid just needs 18 more months to grow into their body to become a four star kid. This here is the beauty and the awesome chaos of college football.

That all said, there are two big holes in the "unlimited" comp environment:
i) Some schools will find a sugar daddy to (Tilman Ferrita in Houston and T Boone Pickens in Ok St) to lure in talent in a big way far outpacing their fellow schools.
ii) The G5 will be especially prone to losing transfers to the P5 when they do develop players. The stars of the G5 schools will certainly be cherry picked.

The only solution I have for both of these concerns would be to get technical with the scholarship cap by running a four year avg wins formula which would reduce scholarships down to 75 for persistent winning programs and up to 95 for losing programs. The formula would also allow for losing programs to have more liberal rules to allow for incoming transfers to have immediate playing time and the opposite for winning programs (for example, teams will a four year avg winning percentage of less than 40% would be allowed 4 immediate playing time transfers from the G5 or P5 the following season while teams with a winning percentage above 60% would be allowed just 1 immediate playing time transfer from the G5 or P5). Tons of talented kids wash out of the P5 every year when they realize they arent going to get the playing time. That talent could be more effectively redistributed downward by granting immediate playing time waivers more liberally to losing programs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Notre Dame general population at 19% positivity rate and not testing as promised earler in summer. Now remote learning for two weeks.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The NCAA screwed the pooch in not having one thing for all schools instead of conferences doing their own thing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The NCAA screwed the pooch in not having one thing for all schools instead of conferences doing their own thing.
But the NCAA doesn't run D-1 football I thought

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I dont understand these types of comments. The NCAA governing body is comprised of a rotating group of university administrators and its those very administrators that are listening to the football-economics and backing off.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It was all going so well ..... ND, UConn, ECU and the Mets all taking COVid hits today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom