AAC Student-Athletes Make Demands (Covid safety protocols, hazard pay, 20% revenue sharing) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC Student-Athletes Make Demands (Covid safety protocols, hazard pay, 20% revenue sharing)

Reaction Score
It is funny when you think about the bs coaches could get away with back then. I remember us all drinking water from the same open air container with a metal scoop that got passed around. Sophomores went last. By that time the water was full of grass, dirt, snot and who knows what else! Also coaches would withhold water as punishment. By the mid 70s trainers started appearing and a lot of this torture ended.

Reaction Score
It is funny when you think about the bs coaches could get away with back then. I remember us all drinking water from the same open air container with a metal scoop that got passed around. Sophomores went last. By that time the water was full of grass, dirt, snot and who knows what else! Also coaches would withhold water as punishment. By the mid 70s trainers started appearing and a lot of this torture ended.

... but you are probably immune to most viruses known to man because of it!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Will they give up their scholarships, free meals , training?
Well you see that’s the unintended consequences part... the give and take could have all sorts of outcomes for both sides.

Reaction Score

Plenty of people did that when buying fresh made soup...
....at this grocery store:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Words from a bitter old man because when it was his time he didn't have the stones to stand up for better treatment. Therefore, no one should expect better treatment ever.
I agree generally. But as an old man, your qualifier makes me bitter whereas athletes caring about a disease does not. Age has zero to do with bitter. It is, interesting, though, that of all the athletes to worry about the relationship of health to playing sports, football players are among the last I’d pick to be worried of the risks of playing the sport. Lots of concussing and broken bones going around on the gridiron.

Reaction Score
Risks associated with football are different. Players know that is part of the reality of competition, as do all athletes. Asking young adults to put their health on the line for something no one in the country has a handle on is beyond the pale.

I am proud of these kids. This is the best time to flex. A lot of institutions may be exposed when their level of dependency on football and basketball revenue is put on display. These kids are the goose and the golden egg.

The level of hypocrisy is blinding. Institutions spent months trying to figure out if they can even have students on campus, but somehow it is cool to have students playing football.

Reaction Score
And cool to have students on campus....with a highly contagious virus.

I figure that many schools are not spending the money necessary to be safe on campus...or in football.

It's about the money in both situations...

Reaction Score
To expect thousands of young people on campus is far more worrisome to me than the highly controlled aspects of having a football team play...with weekly testing, temperature checks every time they come in the building, etc.

Reaction Score
This is the product of opportunistic interlocutors sowing seeds of discontent . All it takes is a few loud mouths and a grievance merchant to get the ball rolling. The right answer to this was the season is on, here are the terms, show up and play or don’t. Next man up. This is a generation of kids raised on soy milk and sour grapes.
While I agree with your message, it is lost on this generation of Americans. I believe this is being pushed by individuals connected to the UCF program, which makes sense. They actually believe they are big time, far from it, just another program in a G5 conference with a lousy media deal. You can't draw money out of a stone, the handlers pushing this nonsense need to get their kids into a P5 program if they want any chance at seeing the money.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do you have any examples or comparison that can enlighten me and the rest of the old dopes on here? I'm curious as to how you can justify one generation having it more difficult than another, other than opinion.
When I was 19, a kid could go to Manchester Community College for $10. a credit. UConn was $5,000 for an entire year. They didn't have to mortgage their future to go to college. I'm curious why you are calling me out twice and not the OP that was smearing the younger generstion.

Reaction Score
When I was 19, a kid could go to Manchester Community College for $10. a credit. UConn was $5,000 for an entire year. They didn't have to mortgage their future to go to college. I'm curious why you are calling me out twice and not the OP that was smearing the younger generstion.
I wasn't calling you out and I apologize that you feel that way. I thought I could get a well informed answer from you, as opposed to the OP. No reply necessary.

Reaction Score

The cost of education today is crazy...coming out of school $100,000 or more in debt ?....The average cost of a wedding in Connecticut is now reported at $43,000...what are we thinking?

In the way-way back..I was lucky enough to have a GI Bill, part time jobs and partial scholarships pay my way...zero debt out of school.

Got married in a simple ceremony...maybe $700 including flowers and simple reception...cake furnished by friend.

I have the typical geezer sticker shock at today's costs.

Reaction Score
The cost of education today is crazy...coming out of school $100,000 or more in debt ?....The average cost of a wedding in Connecticut is now reported at $43,000...what are we thinking?

In the way-way back..I was lucky enough to have a GI Bill, part time jobs and partial scholarships pay my way...zero debt out of school.

Got married in a simple ceremony...maybe $700 including flowers and simple reception...cake furnished by friend.

I have the typical geezer sticker shock at today's costs.

$100k should never happen, & there are horror stories to make people go gaga, but the averages and facts are more reasonable when you take everything into account.

I was in school during the 1980s when the cap on guaranteed student loans was $2750. Flash forward 30 odd years later, and now the cap is $5500. That is not a huge increase given the expanse of time. It's also why the vast majority of kids coming out of school with loans have about $20k that they owe.

$100k means you were taking out private loans to pay for a private school education, which you should never ever do.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So, if they're paid 20% of AAC revenues, would they still be considered amateurs and retain their NCAA eligibility? Or would it be considered Super Extra Full Cost of Attendance?

Looks like the pigeons are coming home to roost as a result of all the huge media contracts.
Mmm, I must’ve missed that AAC huge media contract.

CL82

Reaction Score
Plenty of people did that when buying fresh made soup...
....at this grocery store:

What the freak is he thinking?

Reaction Score
Mmm, I must’ve missed that AAC huge media contract.

The primary intent of the post was to question whether the kids could/would lose their amateur status if they get 20% of their school's revenues. Or, would the NCAA move to cover that by adjusting (raising) the value of "full cost of attendance"? Additionally, how does the NCAA put in a simple dollar amount that covers all schools with such a wide variation in values of media contracts?

My comment on huge media contracts was simply musing about how the Power Five might be impacted on an even greater scale seeing that that's where the real money is and for schools losing 20% of $50,000,000 that amount could be a real problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The primary intent of the post was to question whether the kids could/would lose their amateur status if they get 20% of their school's revenues. Or, would the NCAA move to cover that by adjusting (raising) the value of "full cost of attendance"? Additionally, how does the NCAA put in a simple dollar amount that covers all schools with such a wide variation in values of media contracts?

My comment on huge media contracts was simply musing about how the Power Five might be impacted on an even greater scale seeing that that's where the real money is and for schools losing 20% of $50,000,000 that amount could be a real problem.

The schools could do anything they wanted. Amateur status really has no value for anyone anyway. But the tax people can and will look at that money as income.

Reaction Score
What the freak is he thinking?
We saw someone do this at the dessert section Disney World last year. Sampled two desserts and put them back on the display. Guy had to be in his 60s, certainly old enough to know better.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
We saw someone do this at the dessert sectional Disney World last year. Sample to desserts and put them back on the display. Guy had to be in his 60s, certainly old enough to know better.
I don't get that mindset. Either you were raised by wolves, have early onset dementia, or are a complete asshat.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
$100k means you were taking out private loans to pay for a private school education, which you should never ever do.

It amazes me how someone who works in higher education does not realize that this is exactly what a majority of your students are doing.

Reaction Score
It amazes me how someone who works in higher education does not realize that this is exactly what a majority of your students are doing.

You're wrong.

First off, our tuition is $7.8k.

Secondly, the average public tuition nationally is $7.4k.

Third, average debt owed is low $20k.

Fourth, the private school market is only 14% of the entire Higher Ed. market.

These are 4 facts that show why you are wrong.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You're wrong.

First off, our tuition is $7.8k.

Secondly, the average public tuition nationally is $7.4k.

Third, average debt owed is low $20k.

Fourth, the private school market is only 14% of the entire Higher Ed. market.

These are 4 facts that show why you are wrong.

You love to hide behind tuition, as if room and board aren't factors.

Reaction Score
You love to hide behind tuition, as if room and board aren't factors.

7 + 11 is 18.
you seem to think students aren’t going to pay for food if they don’t attend college

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom