AAC Media Contract | Page 16 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract

Reaction Score
Honest question: what can we do as UConn fans to help the situation, sans donating my kidney and first born to the school?

Would the AAC benefit from fans buying espn+? Would it not matter because were in a bind for more than a decade? Would NOT buying ESPN+ have a negative affect? What is our play as fans in this situation?

As UCONN fans we can go full on protest our state legislators and political leaders to put pressure on ESPN.

Buying ESPN+ will guarantee UCONN athletics will be put on mid major status in perpetuity.

We have 2 options to really save basketball:
1.) Aggressively expand with marquee programs(Gonzaga, BYU) and force the hand of ESPN.

2.) Move back to Big East

PS: People thinking that ESPN+ is a good thing for UCONN sports should not be taken seriously. What we can't do is wish, hope, and pray that somehow we will get into a Power 5 conference doing what we are currently doing and have been doing.

PS: Staying quiet does UCONN no good. We need to disrupt the system in a big way. Right now we are taking a beating and staying quiet about it.

Reaction Score
Honest question: what can we do as UConn fans to help the situation, sans donating my kidney and first born to the school?

Would the AAC benefit from fans buying espn+? Would it not matter because were in a bind for more than a decade? Would NOT buying ESPN+ have a negative affect? What is our play as fans in this situation?

The play is to watch the games, try to enjoy what you can and emotionally prepare yourself for the final gut punch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

the school gets the same amount no matter how many people subscribe.

win powerball and see if $100 million can buy their way into the ACC is your best bet.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The IMG deal is done. Long term underwhelming.

There isn’t going to be any game Tier 3 content to sell. It seems to all be part of this deal.

If it’s not they should fire everyone in Storrs for not communicating that fact.
''img deal is done. long term underwhelming.' oh, really now? uh, FAIL.
let's keep it simple. you decide, gentle reader. the UConn img media rights deal pays $6+million per year until around 2032. The New UConn-IMG Deal Is Worth At Least $93 Million. Here's What Else You Need To Know that's more than any big least school receives for its' fox tv deal, around $4+ million, until 2025. New Big East, Fox Sports Formally Ink 12-Year, $500M Deal; ESPN Signs Mountain West
and, using a 'bigtime, powerhouse' big least program for an example, say, Georgetown, it looks like a fox media rights deal brings in an extra $1-2 million per year, also until 2025. https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.20fab1424dc1
oh, and we haven't even mentioned Uconns' new $7-9 million espn tv deal, or SNY.

Reaction Score
not reading 16 pages of people going through the stages of grief.

This deal is a death sentence. If you think this contract is bad now, wait until like... 2023 when we are still looking at 10 more years locked in and SEC signs for 65m a year or some crazy number.

Reaction Score
A subscription to ESPN+ does not get you access stream ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU etc where the vast majority of relevant live sports currently reside and stand to remain for a good while longer. Therefore I'm not a cord cutter and wont be for what is likely to be a long while yet for this reason. I think we are still another 8 to 10 years ahead from true al-la-cart streaming with the blue chip channels. Cable, as industry is extremely well aware how true unbundling with mean massive revenue declines.
I got rid of cable last year and got Hulu. I get all the ESPN channels and had zero problem watching Uconn games. except when they are on CBSSN.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
''img deal is done. long term underwhelming.' oh, really now? uh, FAIL.
let's keep it simple. you decide, gentle reader. the UConn img media rights deal pays $6+million per year until around 2032. The New UConn-IMG Deal Is Worth At Least $93 Million. Here's What Else You Need To Know that's more than any big least school receives for its' fox tv deal, around $4+ million, until 2025. New Big East, Fox Sports Formally Ink 12-Year, $500M Deal; ESPN Signs Mountain West
and, using a 'bigtime, powerhouse' big least program for an example, say, Georgetown, it looks like a fox media rights deal brings in an extra $1-2 million per year, also until 2025. https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.20fab1424dc1
oh, and we haven't even mentioned Uconns' new $7-9 million espn tv deal, or SNY.

On a board full of terrible efforts at branding... yours is by far and away the worst.

This includes a guy named ‘Report Card’ who gives number grades between 1-10.

Reaction Score
I have every option. Apple TV. Amazon Fire. Roku2 and Roku TV. Kodi.

The one that actually works and is awesome. X1. Spoiler alert: it’s the expensive one.

My Roku TV is second. If you have fast enough internet Roku TV is decent.

Also key is if you can get OTA networks. If you can get network OTA and get 100+MB from Cox or Comcast you can go with a Roku TV, OTA ant, netflix, hulu and whatever skinny bundle you like and get to about $150.

I have X1 with every station, 5 HD televisions, HBO and every station under the sun and 100 mb download for $250.

So you can get 90% of the product with 60% of the efficiency and save $115. I can see how that is attractive - but I’d rather be able to change the station without a 30 second lag or read twitter during a game and not have it filled with spoilers.
I have roku and apple tv with basic internet. we get hulu and I dont miss cable at all.
changing stations takes maybe a second or two.
only think i dont like is that you cant easily flip between two programs (really miss the 'last channel' button).
everything has to go through the channel menu.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have roku and apple tv with basic internet. we get hulu and I dont miss cable at all.
changing stations takes maybe a second or two.
only think i dont like is that you cant easily flip between two programs (really miss the 'last channel' button).
everything has to go through the channel menu.

changing stations on non live sporting events is fine. When you are bouncing between live games it’s brutal.

My in-laws don’t speak English - I’ve rigged up every legal and illegal streaming combination known to man to get them programming their native tongue.

I get people liking the $100 or so savings - I watch way too much sports to get by with a streaming skinny bundle.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I got rid of cable last year and got Hulu. I get all the ESPN channels and had zero problem watching Uconn games. except when they are on CBSSN.
Hulu Live has CBSSN. I’m watching it now.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
UFC and soccer fans. Some hockey fans.
Whaler reminded me that the American doesn't sponsor hockey. Not sure if they can still pick up our games as tier 3 content though.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
On a board full of terrible efforts at branding... yours is by far and away the worst.

This includes a guy named ‘Report Card’ who gives number grades between 1-10.
that's it? that's all you got? oh well, happy cake day!

Reaction Score
I’m a cord cutter too and what is driving internet prices is the fact that most of these companies have sole control over the telecom wiring from the local governments. Like I said there are companies working on high speed wireless internet via satellite and if that takes off these traditional cable companies are in a world of trouble. Just as an example, Google is currently working on satellite internet. We’re not talking about some guy in his garage.

Nobody likes a suck-up.

Reaction Score
I know you aren’t capable of this based on your posts - but maybe consider the entire marketplace dynamic and not just how you interact with television.

I have had ESPN+ for a while because my soccer club in England was relgated and ESPN+ has the rights to the English 2nd Division. I watch it on my phone and everything! I have X1 because streaming sports sucks and I’m not a poor.

At the same time I know a lot of old people who watch the UConn women - and they will never see a game on ESPN+. For every tech savvy boomer being poisoned on Facebook there is one who has no idea how to stream a single thing. My mother is 70 and lives in a senior community - there is no way beyond going over and turning the game on for them they will ever see a game on +.

You own a soccer club in England?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hulu Live has CBSSN. I’m watching it now.

The CBSSN games are the primary reason why I switched from Sling TV to You Tube TV. Tried Hulu Live and was getting too much buffering, pixilated and SD video.

Reaction Score
Big East Is Not Only Surviving But Thriving Without Big-Time Football

With the big east crowd emerging again, I have to admit I've started to consider it myself after this atrocity.

But a little research brought me to this and I'm trying to make sense of it. According to this, the big east schools are getting a little over 3 million per school. Am I not reading this right? I've read on here they have been making anywhere from 4-6.

If this is true you can see why nobody in storrs is rushing to get into the big east and cancel football

Reaction Score
Big East Is Not Only Surviving But Thriving Without Big-Time Football

With the big east crowd emerging again, I have to admit I've started to consider it myself after this atrocity.

But a little research brought me to this and I'm trying to make sense of it. According to this,
the big east schools are getting a little over 3 million per school. Am I not reading this right? I've read on here they have been making anywhere from 4-6.

If this is true you can see why nobody in storrs is rushing to get into the big east and cancel football
I feel like there is a rather large piece of the puzzle you are missing.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The CBSSN games are the primary reason why I switched from Sling TV to You Tube TV. Tried Hulu Live and was getting too much buffering, pixilated and SD video.
For some reason we can't get YouTube TV in Reno yet. Hoping that changes soon as I would prefer that to Hulu Live.

Reaction Score
For some reason we can't get YouTube TV in Reno yet. Hoping that changes soon as I would prefer that to Hulu Live.

You can just use a different address unless you really like local news/sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom