AAC Media Contract | Page 13 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract

Reaction Score
Yes, it's a standalone service, but the cost is on top of what you pay for TV and other streaming services. That's the problem. It's not something that in the future of cable TV, which will change but not go away, the majority of consumers will choose to purchase over ESPN.

And if in the future ESPN and ESPN+ are not different, that will mean ESPN+ as a concept failed and its content was folded back into the ESPN family. Eventually the streaming service companies will have to consolidate services - spending $10/month on Spotify/Hulu, $119/year for Prime, $13/month for Netflix, MLB.tv, Sunday Ticket, HBO Now, etc. is not a sustainable model especially if more content services are created.

ESPN+ live sports are almost entirely second-rate add-on content that most sports fans can easily live without. ESPN isn't going to move UNC-Duke to ESPN+ exclusively. It's a niche product meant to fill gaps.

I’m not arguing that ESPN+ isn’t currently 2nd rate content and yes right now it is a standalone package. What we’re seeing right now with streaming services is a hybrid between cable and what streaming will eventually be. Right now these services like Hulu, PSVue and YoutubeTV look a lot like stripped down cable packages. Eventually they are going to a pay-per-channel or pay to select a set number of channels type model.
This is what the consumer is asking for and it’s the reason why you probably wont see consolidation in streaming services. With too much consolidation it just ends up being cable again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here's the thing, to paraphrase Parcells: Your conference is what your media deal says it is.

I don't like it but there it is. We are the best of the G5, sort of since Big East isn't even offering football. For everyone but the old big east teams, this is a great deal. For us not at all. Still it is more money than we had been getting under our sucktacular former deal. The key, as pretty much everyone agrees is what is the plus. I want to believe that it is the tier 3 stuff and we've got some kind of a side deal for SNY games, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was worried about it. It will be good to see more hockey and baseball but... SMH... I don't see a way out this hellhole.

There is no hockey deal... soccer yes, but the AAC doesn’t sponsor hockey (Ice or Field). ;)

Reaction Score
Yep. And streaming makes ‘changing stations’ a miserable experience.

I subscribe to MLB.tv and it’s on my phone and all 5 of my TVs. Granted my favorite team stinks but I can bounce between SNY/NESN/YES/MLB/FS1 with ease and no buffering.

It’s an effort to go to MLB.tv and once I leave once I don’t go back.

I agree with you that there are definitely needs for improvement on the hardware/software side of things to integrate everything but there are some ok options.
Something like Apple TV works well, but you’re right eventually someone has to integrate (on the software side) some of these services to make changing from one streaming service to another just like changing the channel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is no hockey deal... soccer yes, but the AAC doesn’t sponsor hockey (Ice or Field). ;)
Sigh...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I subscribe to MLB.tv and it’s on my phone and all 5 of my TVs. Granted my favorite team stinks but I can bounce between SNY/NESN/YES/MLB/FS1 with ease and no buffering.

Sorry millennials, I think we will have to look to generation z to get to true al-a-carte sports programming on a platform that allows seamless switching between streams with the ease of old fashion cable tv and also allows dvr capability that is easy to use. Don't think we get their during the millennial age.

A platform where I can stream/dvr/switch between a stew of my on streaming choices is still far off. Give me CNBC, ESPN, FOX and Discovery (by example) on a single ez platform....no buffering.

Reaction Score
Streaming sports will really hurt casual viewing. So many people watch "whats on."

I already "watch along" with a lot of games on Twitter, on this message board, on Reddit, Slack, etc. Where I'm chatting with people and personalities about the games while watching. And sometimes I'll see a couple comments about something and turn it on.

That's the future of casual viewing. I don't know how many years until that's the majority of casual viewing, but it's coming.

There may come a point where ESPN+ is ubiquitous enough through bundling like @Hurleyman216 says or enough worthwhile content is assembled that tastemakers/mavens subscribe and are talking about games so a tipping point is reached and casual fans subscribe to ESPN+ en masse and eschew stuff like free pirated streaming sites from Reddit since it's cheap and easy to subscribe. And then it becomes Netflix for sports.

EVEN IF that happens... UConn makes 6.5 million per year and the only games that matter will be on regular ESPN.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree with you that there are definitely needs for improvement on the hardware/software side of things to integrate everything but there are some ok options.
Something like Apple TV works well, but you’re right eventually someone has to integrate (on the software side) some of these services to make changing from one streaming service to another just like changing the channel.

I have every option. Apple TV. Amazon Fire. Roku2 and Roku TV. Kodi.

The one that actually works and is awesome. X1. Spoiler alert: it’s the expensive one.

My Roku TV is second. If you have fast enough internet Roku TV is decent.

Also key is if you can get OTA networks. If you can get network OTA and get 100+MB from Cox or Comcast you can go with a Roku TV, OTA ant, netflix, hulu and whatever skinny bundle you like and get to about $150.

I have X1 with every station, 5 HD televisions, HBO and every station under the sun and 100 mb download for $250.

So you can get 90% of the product with 60% of the efficiency and save $115. I can see how that is attractive - but I’d rather be able to change the station without a 30 second lag or read twitter during a game and not have it filled with spoilers.

Reaction Score
Ding ding ding. If ESPN+ becomes Amazon - it doesn’t do the AAC any financial good.

Certainly when things are changing quickly you want a 12 year deal so you can go take a nap under a tree.
12 years is insane. Will it even be the highest laid G5 league at the end old 12 years? I'll be 55 by then lol.

ESPN+ Will continue to get pirated. It's not some sort of panacea. The dollars per year are fine. The 12 years is a fail. Aresco just tied the next commissioner's hands.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I already "watch along" with a lot of games on Twitter, on this message board, on Reddit, Slack, etc. Where I'm chatting with people and personalities about the games while watching. And sometimes I'll see a couple comments about something and turn it on.

Yes, there is some validity to this pov. Not sure it moves the needle in a big way. You pretty much already have to be a big fan of said sport to respond twitter buzz.

C

Chief00

More like I know people, but you're starting to get it. Think of me as a less casual, less self indulgent version of Chief, but someone who also has real connections in the Athletic Department and doesn't just talk to recruits standing next to me at a urinal.

Is the only way you can get someone to read your post is to name drop Chief in it? LOL

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think I’ve said it multiple times, but here goes again. ESPN+ is currently a stand alone service, but they are already negotiating with streaming services (Hulu and others) to incorporate it into their standard streaming services. At that point it becomes more like ESPNU, etc. The problem with the BY is we have a bunch of posters here in their 50’s, 60’s, 70’s that don’t understand where media is and where the technology is going. Again, in the short-term we will get better exposure being on ESPN, in the latter half of this contract the difference between ESPN and ESPN+ isn’t going to be as big as it is now.

Reaction Score
Yes, there is some validity to this pov. Not sure it moves the needle in a big way. You pretty much already have to be a big fan of said sport to respond twitter buzz.

I agree that it'll be nichicized. (I made up that word).

But that's the way everything is going. If you're into something, you can get REALLY into something. And you'll follow the drum of the people already into that something to whatever is the best platform to follow your thing.

But everyone will be into something or a couple somethings, and that can aggregate to a lot if you control a lot of content (like Disney). It WILL be more decentralized than when there were 4 Network channels, but we're already getting used to that.

And the things that EVERYBODY will be into (March Madness, CFB bowls, Super Bowl, NBA/NHL Finals, The Masters, etc.) will be free (or free to those with the most popular bundle(s)).

Reaction Score
I have Comcast and I hit one button and I have my choice of ESPN3 games, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube,... plus On Demand shows and movies. With a modern TV it is pretty easy to watch anything easily.

I used to have SNY in low def as part of my cable package, but Comcast took it off last year. And, it was a bonus! I now got to watch all of the SNY games on ESPN3 in HD on my living room TV.

And, all of the conference networks are going to go to a business model similar to ESPN+ in the future as the bundle breaks up. Then, conferences networks will be valued based on what fans will pay.

Reaction Score
I want to stand with those who are saying that because we have the largest basketball fan base in the conference our basketball games won't be on ESPN+. I really do. However I think that having the largest following is exactly why most of our games will be on ESPN+. If they want to expand their subscriber base, they need to put content there that people actually want.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I want to stand with those who are saying that because we have the largest basketball fan base in the conference our basketball games won't be on ESPN+. I really do. However I think that having the largest following is exactly why most of our games will be on ESPN+. If they want to expand their subscriber base, they need to put content there that people actually want.

Yeah, sort of. But look at it this way, UConn gave birth to ESPN. ESPN exists because of UConn sports. Once again, we are chosen to give birth to the platform they are betting their future on.

I can't say I'm thrilled with this deal. But I don't hate it. We can literally watch everything. All of it, the baseball games, maybe soccer? That's fantastic. ESPN will put the teams that draw eyeballs on regular ESPN/ESPN2/U/News. Even three years ago when UConn was bad, but was ranked pre-season, we were on ESPN and CBS much more than any other team in the league. So basketball, with Hurley at the helm, will be fine. UConn football better win some games or it may never been seen on TV again.

The money is much better than it was, if not quite good enough. And no GOR, which is huge. I want to know more about what WSU and Navy are getting. It better not be much more than one full share between them. I'd like to know what we get for T3 rights, women's hoops. All in all, it doesn't suck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom