AAC Media Contract | Page 11 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
These posts would make more sense if ESPN wasn’t available via streaming by 43x more people.

Reaction Score
You said that, in the next 5 years, ESPN+ (2m subs, including yours truly) will have more subs than ESPN will on cable (86m subs).

Yes, that’s exactly what I said and there are a lot of smart people working at these networks that understand this. ESPN is smart and with this new contract they know that they’ll lock in ESPN+ subscribers if fans have to tune into ESPN+ for a half dozen games or more. But once you’re paying $5/month for ESPN+, honestly why would you pay for cable? You can get almost every other channel streaming that you can get with cable for about $40/month. Streaming services are slowly crushing the cable companies which is why they’re all switching over to streaming. Now the only thing these companies like Comcast and Cox have is almost a Monopoly on internet. So one of two things (or both) are going to play out. First, as customers continue to cut cable tv, these
companies will jack up the price of internet (this is already happening). Second, one or more companies will come out with a much cheaper way to stream content. It may be cell phone companies, but could also be satellite wireless internet which a number of companies are working on. Once someone comes out with $20-30/month high speed internet it’s game over for Comcast and the cable companies. Maybe they’ll be smart and displace their current services with cheaper ones, but historically these companies are greedy and it’s hard to do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, that’s exactly what I said and there are a lot of smart people working at these networks that understand this. ESPN is smart and with this new contract they know that they’ll lock in ESPN+ subscribers if fans have to tune into ESPN+ for a half dozen games or more. But once you’re paying $5/month for ESPN+, honestly why would you pay for cable? You can get almost every other channel streaming that you can get with cable for about $40/month. Streaming services are slowly crushing the cable companies which is why they’re all switching over to streaming. Now the only thing these companies like Comcast and Cox have is almost a Monopoly on internet. So one of two things (or both) are going to play out. First, as customers continue to cut cable tv, these
companies will jack up the price of internet (this is already happening). Second, one or more companies will come out with a much cheaper way to stream content. It may be cell phone companies, but could also be satellite wireless internet which a number of companies are working on. Once someone comes out with $20-30/month high speed internet it’s game over for Comcast and the cable companies. Maybe they’ll be smart and displace their current services with cheaper ones, but historically these companies are greedy and it’s hard to do.

lol HE WORKS THERE

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You have no idea why internet costs what it does do you? I figured you were arguing with whaler because you’re bored but you actually have no idea what you’re talking about. I’m one those cord cutting savy millennials, espn + isn’t a short term winner and may not even be a longer term winner. You know what is a winner streaming ESPN. I have enough friends at ESPN, to know ESPN+ is like espn classic ifs just extra content.

Reaction Score
I seriously think you are too stupid to understand ESPN and ESPN+ stream on the same app and 43x more people can stream ESPN than ESPN+.

One of them streams the NFL, NBA, CFB playoffs, 35 bowl games, ACC, Big Ten, SEC, Big 12, MLB, MLS, WNBA.

The other streams MLS, UFC, La Liga, EFL, G5 CFB, mid major CBB.

They. Stream. On. The. Same. App.

Maybe have your guys on the inside explain that ESPN is available via the exact same app that ESPN+ is available on?

Once you wrap your head around that, I’ll have my 9 year old show you 86/2=43.

You do realize that Playstation Vue, You Tube TV, Fubo TV, Sling TV... you get access to Watch ESPN with those?

Your guys on the inside notice that no CFB P5 or CBB P6 league has moved to ESPN+?

Did they notice when CBS left the AAC out of the Power 6 (branding!) on the selection show or when the women’s tourney made UConn a 2 seed in the two days prior to announcing they are now on the mid-major streaming network with 2.3% the number of ESPN subscribers?

You still don’t get it. The people streaming ESPN are paying over $100/month for cable.
ESPN+ cost $4.99/month. Cable customers pay about $9/month of that $100+ to ESPN.
What you don’t get is that the “APP” (that’s short for application for your generation) is the new “cable box”. So, you know that little box that sits near your tv that you point the remote at? Eventually that’s going to be called an app and it won’t matter whether your game is on ESPN or ESPN+. Streaming services like Hulu have already talked about packaging content with ESPN+. So eventually, ESPN+ will be a series of channels offered by all these streaming services. I know it’s really hard for your pea brain to comprehend, but everything is going to be ok.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
You still don’t get it. The people streaming ESPN are paying over $100/month for cable.
ESPN+ cost $4.99/month. Cable customers pay about $9/month of that $100+ to ESPN.
What you don’t get is that the “APP” (that’s short for application for your generation) is the new “cable box”. So, you know that little box that sits near your tv that you point the remote at? Eventually that’s going to be called an app and it won’t matter whether your game is on ESPN or ESPN+. Streaming services like Hulu have already talked about packaging content with ESPN+. So eventually, ESPN+ will be a series of channels offered by all these streaming services. I know it’s really hard for your pea brain to comprehend, but everything is going to be ok.

Just stop. Please stop.

Reaction Score
I seriously think you are too stupid to understand ESPN and ESPN+ stream on the same app and 43x more people can stream ESPN than ESPN+.

One of them streams the NFL, NBA, CFB playoffs, 35 bowl games, ACC, Big Ten, SEC, Big 12, MLB, MLS, WNBA.

The other streams MLS, UFC, La Liga, EFL, G5 CFB, mid major CBB.

They. Stream. On. The. Same. App.

Maybe have your guys on the inside explain that ESPN is available via the exact same app that ESPN+ is available on?

Once you wrap your head around that, I’ll have my 9 year old show you 86/2=43.

You do realize that Playstation Vue, You Tube TV, Fubo TV, Sling TV... you get access to Watch ESPN with those?

Your guys on the inside notice that no CFB P5 or CBB P6 league has moved to ESPN+?

Did they notice when CBS left the AAC out of the Power 6 (branding!) on the selection show or when the women’s tourney made UConn a 2 seed in the two days prior to announcing they are now on the mid-major streaming network with 2.3% the number of ESPN subscribers?
t3dLl0TGHCxTG.gif

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I hope for your sake you are just one of the really odd BY trolls. Inside info - lol.

Reaction Score
This is quite a performance from you...

Reaction Score
“You’re not really that stupid are you” -Jim Calhoun

Reaction Score
You have no idea why internet costs what it does do you? I figured you were arguing with whaler because you’re bored but you actually have no idea what you’re talking about. I’m one those cord cutting savy millennials, espn + isn’t a short term winner and may not even be a longer term winner. You know what is a winner streaming ESPN. I have enough friends at ESPN, to know ESPN+ is like espn classic ifs just extra content.

I’m a cord cutter too and what is driving internet prices is the fact that most of these companies have sole control over the telecom wiring from the local governments. Like I said there are companies working on high speed wireless internet via satellite and if that takes off these traditional cable companies are in a world of trouble. Just as an example, Google is currently working on satellite internet. We’re not talking about some guy in his garage.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m a cord cutter too and what is driving internet prices is the fact that most of these companies have sole control over the telecom wiring from the local governments. Like I said there are companies working on high speed wireless internet via satellite and if that takes off these traditional cable companies are in a world of trouble. Just as an example, Google is currently working on satellite internet. We’re not talking about some guy in his garage.

Shouldn’t you be shorting Comcast then? They have a 180 billion market cap - plenty of money to be made if they are in so much trouble.

Reaction Score
I hope for your sake you are just one of the really odd BY trolls. Inside info - lol.

Yeah I’m just trolling you bro, but how can you be sure it’s me that’s trolling you and not Hurleyman215 or Hurleyman217? I mean I have the same handle as half the people on the BY...lol.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah I’m just trolling you bro, but how can you be sure it’s me that’s trolling you and not Hurleyman215 or Hurleyman217? I mean I have the same handle as half the people on the BY...lol.

I was hoping you were a troll and not a moran.

When Calluke is begging you to stop you’ve crossed the rubicon.

Reaction Score
To get away UCONN FB games I pay extra for a sports package that includes CBSSN so this could be a wash unless they farm out games to CBSSN and have some on ESRN+. What are the chances if conference realignment returns we get screwed again to help keep the value in the ESPN+ platform? And as mentioned 2 posts above, we are paying the freight for the league contract as fans.

I feel like the school should pay you to watch the away games for the Football team.

Reaction Score
I was hoping you were a troll and not a moran.

When Calluke is begging you to stop you’ve crossed the rubicon.

Sucks that I’m in your head (along with all my other Hurleymen on the BY). Hope you don’t have any nightmares about streaming services tonight. Don’t worry, if you can figure out how to sign into AOL with your dial up modem to come post on the BY you can probably eventually figure out how to stream ESPN+.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
im getting 2 companies hawking me satnet now.
in Connecticut. tech/price thing not there for me, yet. soon, tho. proally next week. lol.

Reaction Score
Should I start preparing you now for the disappointment?
would like to give you the thumbs-up 10 times on this. We are never leaving the AAC for a Power Conference. That ship sailed years ago.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Sucks that I’m in your head (along with all my other Hurleymen on the BY). Hope you don’t have any nightmares about streaming services tonight. Don’t worry, if you can figure out how to sign into AOL with your dial up modem to come post on the BY you can probably eventually figure out how to stream ESPN+.

He already says he uses ESPN+.

Man this is quite the dichotomy. I never side with Whale....

Reaction Score
So if we are good again we are going to have more games on ESPN/ESPN2 than we did last year? And if we are bad then we are screwed regardless. And if you can't afford to shell out 5 bucks a month for UCONN basketball for 5 months you have bigger issues than our football team.

Reaction Score
So if we are good again we are going to have more games on ESPN/ESPN2 than we did last year? And if we are bad then we are screwed regardless. And if you can't afford to shell out 5 bucks a month for UCONN basketball for 5 months you have bigger issues than our football team.
It's not about people on this board shelling out $5 a month. Come on...

Reaction Score
Is this how you always act when you get your d 1ck kicked in?

Reaction Score
He already says he uses ESPN+.

Man this is quite the dichotomy. I never side with Whale....

So all this b*tching from him and I’m supposed to feel bad for him because he has to sign into his ESPN+ account?

Reaction Score
It's not about people on this board shelling out $5 a month. Come on...

I just don't see why it matters in regards to our basketball team. We will get good (better) exposure if we are good. We will get no exposure if we are bad. Why does it matter how many people have access to our game versus University of Tampa?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom