80% live off campus at ECU
94% live off campus at Temple
86% live off campus at Memphis
89% live off campus at Wichita

35% live off campus at Tulsa
46% live off campus at SMU
52% live off campus at Tulane
34% live off campus at UConn

Of course, not all of those who live off campus commute, but when the numbers for those large public schools are all 77%+ it indicates there is a very large portion of the student body who commutes.

I develop student housing. I’ll send you pictures

What about those 3 schools are not congruent with UConn? Small expensive Private.

With the HUGE supply of NEW luxury Private student housing, I frankly think you ought to reorient your thinking. Do you want to know the percentage of beds on campus at UALBANY & UMass & UMass Lowell & Rowan & Drexel & UNH & UBuffalo & Binghamton & Northeastern. Fact: Northern peer schools developed differently. And new Private Development has built complementary supply at each.

I say the definition of peer Universities to UConn is ... Academic based. Research dollars etc etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
TIL that sunk costs are mythology.

From a guy who teaches business graduate school.

You couldn’t possibly make this place up.

You always leave out the $200m in Development projects I am a principal on. I am an adjunct Professor in summers. As a real estate professional, I’m telling you UCONN & the State ain’t walking away from $300m in infrastructure. Nope. We are not Hofstra

Which means ... we better frigging figure out how to compete. Guess what - my lifelong fandom at UCONN tells me that we have done that brilliantly over the last 4 decades.

Reaction Score
You'll notice the people who are wrong on this are the people that have been wrong on everything UConn and conference related.
I feel like it’s super easy to predict conference related matters. Anything involving UConn, the AAC and keeping that relationship alive spells doom. Time after time. But we’re crazy for suggesting a change?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You always leave out the $200m in Development projects I am a principal on. I am an adjunct Professor in summers. As a real estate professional, I’m telling you UCONN & the State ain’t walking away from $300m in infrastructure. Nope. We are not Hofstra

Which means ... we better frigging figure out how to compete. Guess what - my lifelong fandom at UCONN tells me that we have done that brilliantly over the last 4 decades.

If you don’t get Rentschler is a sunk cost it doesn’t much matter what your resume says.

They might not walk away from it but doesn’t mean it’s not stupid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you don’t get Rentschler is a sunk cost it doesn’t much matter what your resume says.

They might not walk away with it but doesn’t mean it’s not stupid.
He thinks the best thing for Uconn's future is sharing a conference with UMass, Buffalo, and Old Dominion. There isn't a ton of thinking going on here.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
77% of students live off campus at Cincinnati
82% live off campus at UCF
82% live off campus at USF
83% live off campus at UH

Of course, not all of those who live off campus commute, but when the numbers for those large public schools are all 77%+ it indicates there is a very large portion of the student body who commutes.

That definitely puts Cincinnati squarely in the commuter school category, although "commuter" may be the wrong use of word. What really matters is the connection a particular student feels toward the institution. Large enrollment schools with 70 percent or more students living off campus are more likely going to have a less interested and involved alumni base, despite their huge numbers of alums. The more students you had closely connected to the school living on campus, or within walking distance perhaps, tends to make for a longer lasting bond with the school. That's why the major state flagships with a predominace of on campus residential students tend to get more loyal and supportive alumni than the huge urban commuter schools get. The commuters drive in, drive out, and largely view the school as nothing more than a means to an end. After graduation they move on and are less likely to support the school.

Reaction Score
What about Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Butler and Xavier in a conference called the Big East?

You’re getting caught up in semantics of a conference name. The Big East does have a semblance of geographic continuity and generally the lay out of the schools does make sense.

Reaction Score
I develop student housing. I’ll send you pictures

What about those 3 schools are not congruent with UConn? Small expensive Private.

With the HUGE supply of NEW luxury Private student housing, I frankly think you ought to reorient your thinking. Do you want to know the percentage of beds on campus at UALBANY & UMass & UMass Lowell & Rowan & Drexel & UNH & UBuffalo & Binghamton & Northeastern. Fact: Northern peer schools developed differently. And new Private Development has built complementary supply at each.

I say the definition of peer Universities to UConn is ... Academic based. Research dollars etc etc.
Yes, there's a lot of private student housing being built near campus. I see it every day when I walk around Boston. I also know there's a limited number of students who can afford it.

My point in giving that data was only to give the data. It's not a conclusive statement on how many students commute, but it underscores that AAC schools have high percentages of students who live off campus, even at schools which are not in high cost-of-living urban areas such as Greenville, Memphis, and Wichita.

Reaction Score
Staying in the AAC only makes sense if the conference expands to include both Gonzaga and BYU. This conference needs name brands.

Otherwise at the current status quo, the Big East is the best option. Even if we become decent in football, why would a P5 conference take us over say Cincinnati or UCF or Houston or even Memphis.

PS: ESPN+ is a disaster. Cable isn’t going anywhere soon. Without New York exposure, UCONN loses a lot.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
You’re getting caught up in semantics of a conference name. The Big East does have a semblance of geographic continuity and generally the lay out of the schools does make sense.

I fail to see the "geographic continuity" of any conference with teams over 1,000 miles apart, except west of the Mississippi where distances between schools are inherently greater than in the eastern half of the country. You seem to see everything about the "new" Big East with blinders on because you're so committed to the idea of UCONN joining it.

Reaction Score
Dear boneyard,

this is pathetic. i'd be embarrassed for everyone here if i had any pride, or even hope, left in this school and state.

AAC or NBE? it doesn't matter anymore. uconn is just a glorified mid-major. either accept that or find a new team to root for.

sincerely,
yukonfan4

P.S.- the latter option is better for your health. trust me, i'm a doctor.

Reaction Score
I fail to see the "geographic continuity" of any conference with teams over 1,000 miles apart, except west of the Mississippi where distances between schools are inherently greater than in the eastern half of the country. You seem to see everything about the "new" Big East with blinders on because you're so committed to the idea of UCONN joining it.

Im actually not that committed to UConn joining the NBE; I’m perfectly fine with them hanging in the AAC till 2023/24 but once that CR wave passes and, if UConn is still left out, than its time.

And, not to be a super annoying but “geographic continuity” has nothing to do with distance. Fayetteville, AR is a long way from Gainesville, FL but I think Arkansas fits perfectly fine in the SEC.

BUT that does remind me that Missouri in the SEC is very dumb and makes no sense, so add that to WVU and the AAC

Reaction Score
Dear boneyard,

this is pathetic. i'd be embarrassed for everyone here if i had any pride, or even hope, left in this school and state.

AAC or NBE? it doesn't matter anymore. uconn is just a glorified mid-major. either accept that or find a new team to root for.

sincerely,
yukonfan4

P.S.- the latter option is better for your health. trust me, i'm a doctor.
Thanks for the advice, Dr. Sunshine.

Reaction Score
I fail to see the "geographic continuity" of any conference with teams over 1,000 miles apart, except west of the Mississippi where distances between schools are inherently greater than in the eastern half of the country.
You're talking about every major sports conference in the country.

Reaction Score
That definitely puts Cincinnati squarely in the commuter school category, although "commuter" may be the wrong use of word. What really matters is the connection a particular student feels toward the institution. Large enrollment schools with 70 percent or more students living off campus are more likely going to have a less interested and involved alumni base, despite their huge numbers of alums. The more students you had closely connected to the school living on campus, or within walking distance perhaps, tends to make for a longer lasting bond with the school. That's why the major state flagships with a predominace of on campus residential students tend to get more loyal and supportive alumni than the huge urban commuter schools get. The commuters drive in, drive out, and largely view the school as nothing more than a means to an end. After graduation they move on and are less likely to support the school.
The people saying UConn is similar to the schools in the AAC don't seem to realize they're denigrating UConn. UConn is really nothing like them.

Reaction Score
The people saying UConn is similar to the schools in the AAC don't seem to realize they're denigrating UConn. UConn is really nothing like them.
and even less like the schools of the "Big East"

Reaction Score
and even less like the schools of the "Big East"
Don't really agree with this. Big East schools are small and Catholic but overall they are better academic schools than AAC schools, culturally much more similar to UConn, and they share a lot of the same applicant pool. There certainly aren't many kids who apply to UConn while also applying to Tulsa, East Carolina, SMU, Houston etc.

Reaction Score
Don't really agree with this. Big East schools are small and Catholic but overall they are better academic schools than AAC schools, culturally much more similar to UConn, and they share a lot of the same applicant pool. There certainly aren't many kids who apply to UConn while also applying to Tulsa, East Carolina, SMU, Houston etc.

Preach.

Reaction Score
This is not an academics fan board. These schools are second tier athletic departments. Not particularly appealing.

Reaction Score
Would love to see #'s of CT high school grads that apply to Nova, PC, Georgetown, and then BU, BC, heck even UNH and URI, compared to those that apply to SMU, UH, Wichita, ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF.
I found some stats on enrollments of Connecticut kids by college:

BC 177, PC 184, BU 234, Northeastern 209, UMass 216, Vermont 214, URI 208, UNH 106, Syracuse 146, Penn St 103, Delaware 87

Temple, 60, Tulane 45, SMU 29

I found 4 other colleges people applied to as well as the listed school. For example, the 4 most popular schools people applied to UConn applied to according to US News were: BU, Northeastern, Syracuse, and Penn State.

ACC Schools:
BC: Georgetown, Northeastern, Notre Dame, Virginia
Notre Dame: BC, Duke, Harvard, Northwestern

Big East Northeastern Schools:
PC: BC, Fairfield, Holy Cross, Fordham
St. John's: SUNY Binghamton, CUNY, Fordham, NYU
Georgetown: BC, Duke, NYU, Penn
Seton Hall: Farleigh Dickinson, Montclair St., Kean, Rutgers
Villanova: BC, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Penn
Marquette: Loyola Chicago, St. Louis, Illinois, Minnesota

Other
Fairfield: BC, Fordham, Loyola Maryland, PC

It doesn't seem that UConn is really competing with the Catholic Big East schools for students although there has to be some overlap. And, I don't think kids from the South are applying in large numbers to UConn.

Reaction Score
77% of students live off campus at Cincinnati
82% live off campus at UCF
82% live off campus at USF
83% live off campus at UH

This is misleading though. It's entirely dependent upon how much housing is offered by the school. Is the University of Texas a commuter school? Because 82% of its students live off campus. How about Wisconsin? 75% off campus. University of Florida? 78% off campus.

Reaction Score
This is misleading though. It's entirely dependent upon how much housing is offered by the school. Is the University of Texas a commuter school? Because 82% of its students live off campus. How about Wisconsin? 75% off campus. University of Florida? 78% off campus.
Exactly. This is where the hangup is. Large universities have the vast majority living off campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom