AAC & Grant-of-Rights | The Boneyard

AAC & Grant-of-Rights

Reaction Score
Yeah Unless the amount of money you are getting for the deal is much larger with the GOR I don’t see how the big fish in the conference sign it (UCF, USF, Cincy, Memphis, Houston, UConn). For the other big schools don’t know if you wanna risk possible P5 realignment before 2025 with a huge exit fee. And for UConn in the more likely scenerio they ditch AAC it would be for the Big East. But if the tv deal with GOR brings in an incredible amount of money compared to now they might be compelled to sign. Idk very tricky. Also don’t wanna be the rumors guy but it can’t be a coincidence that it’s coming right off the Big east commissioners comments about expanding to 11 which i would think would be UConn or less likely Gonzaga

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard pass. Given the comments we saw out of the BE commish yesterday, could something be on the horizon?

Reaction Score
How is this different from the other conferences? It isn’t, right?

Reaction Score
Yeah, hard pass on that. Don't want to give up TV rights for anything especially considering how the league has handled the past deal.

Reaction Score
Hard pass. Given the comments we saw out of the BE commish yesterday, could something be on the horizon?
UConn can’t (probably won’t) be getting rid of football with the Clemson, Purdue and other Big Ten school money games schedules. Might be floating going independent or seeing if the MAC accepts football only (which they didn’t for UMass). Big East might have a problem w them having football on the FBS level even independent. So as much as I wanna say yeah I think the more likely scenerio is that the big east commish was referring to St Louis or Dayton. Still wouldn’t sign a GOR just in case

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Not a chance unless we get at least what the PAC-12 gets per school. Otherwise no way in heck

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I imagine we wouldn’t be walking away from all that much money if we left.

Reaction Score
dang if the deal is 500 mil with GOR (from what I saw 3/4 times the deal now) it could be compelling. Real prisoners dilemma on this one

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Big East shouldn't be looking at UConn and UConn should not be looking at the Big East
UConn isn't giving football up and will not go indie with football
Big East might be looking St Joe's/Fordham - keeping it as religious based conference
For Basketball and soccer, I'd love to be in the Big East - for all the other sports - no thanks

Reaction Score
Big East shouldn't be looking at UConn and UConn should not be looking at the Big East
Big East might be looking St Joe's/Fordham - keeping it as religious based conference
For Basketball and soccer, I'd love to be in the Big East - for all the other sports - no thanks
It’s make too much sense for UConn and the big east. Football is never going to get us to a power conference

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I imagine we wouldn’t be walking away from all that much money if we left.
It's not walking away... it's granting the AAC whatever media money we're earning with a new conference. So in effect, we'd be making 0 for TV money for a period of time unitl the end of the GOR term (I would say it's worth it).

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Think I saw somewhere that this would lead to something like $8mm-$10mm per school. If thats the case I think you sign it

No way

Reaction Score
From Conference Realignment Forum:
>>SportsBusiness Journal headliner Michael Smith is on his game early this morning, reports the AAC "is asking schools to sign a grant-of-rights agreement that theoretically would lock them into the conference for the duration of the next media rights deal." More: "By committing to stay in the AAC, those schools sacrifice the opportunity to jump to a more lucrative arrangement if a power five league like the Big 12 decides to expand. In return, those schools will get a bigger share of the conference’s revenue from its next media deal. The schools also get the stability that comes with a long-term commitment." More in D1.ticker tomorrow morning, but Smith's piece a must read. (link $$)<<

Will be interesting to see the details on this...

Reaction Score
It’s make too much sense for UConn and the big east. Football is never going to get us to a power conference
Basketball will never get us to a power conference. That’s already been proven when the Big12 wanted nothing to do with us coming off a 4th national championship in 20 years. You better pray like hell football gets better, because that’s the only sport of relevance in CR.

Reaction Score

We should absolutely be willing to sacrifice football at this point. Bending over backwards to accommodate a sport that loses money and embarrasses the school nationally makes absolutely no sense. If football isn't even going to get us an invite as backfill for a crippled Big 12, then it's time to cut the cord and go to the Big East. Maybe we can park it in the AAC, maybe we can go Indy, maybe we can join the MAC. I don't know. What I do know is that those things not being viable options doesn't mean we continue to hurt our best brand in perpetuity on the off chance that our football program becomes good and the even more remote off chance that someone wants to add us to their league.

Reaction Score
Basketball will never get us to a power conference. That’s already been proven when the Big12 wanted nothing to do with us coming off a 4th national championship in 20 years. You better pray like hell football gets better, because that’s the only sport of relevance in CR.

You're missing the point. We already lost in CR. It's over. We're not getting into a P5 conference. Football is dead at UConn. Cut off the infected limb and save the basketball program in the Big East while it's still viable.

Reaction Score
Don't understand this idea that a TV network would pay more if they knew schools were locked in.

Why would TV even care?

After all, each TV deal in the past contained provisos in case of defections.

Why give more money to the AAC if it has a GOR?

Reactions: pj

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom