AAC & Grant-of-Rights | Page 8 | The Boneyard

AAC & Grant-of-Rights

Reaction Score
who gives a darn if the players have anything in common with the students? you think zion doesn't stick out like a sore thumb walking around durham? furthermore, what do duke and ncstate have in common aside from being in the same state?

we didn't have BCS football for the longest time (we were in the big east for over 20 years before we got a BCS football team) would we really miss it so much now?

are any villanova students/alums complaining about their lack of BCS football while they're busy winning 2 bball chips in 3 years?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
who gives a darn if the players have anything in common with the students? you think zion doesn't stick out like a sore thumb walking around durham? furthermore, what do duke and ncstate have in common aside from being in the same state?

we didn't have BCS football for the longest time would we really miss it so much now?

are any villanova students/alums complaining about their lack of BCS football while they're busy winning 2 bball chips in 3 years?

I dunno about you, but every time I watch us play East Carolina, I wonder which one of our schools will have a campus on the moon faster.

Reaction Score
along with UCF, "Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston and South Florida are the other candidates most likely to be targeted by the power five, according to several well-placed sources."

fine with me- Big East it is!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's plainly obvious to any non-liar with a brain that NBE travel would be worlds better than AAC travel.

Yes and No. The teams are more geographically centered in the Big East and we could drive to 5 games, but it breaks down to about basically three extra flights per conference season.

Is that "world's" better?

Big East with UConn (10 conference road games)
Driving to 5: St. John's, Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, and Georgetown.
Flying to 5: Creighton, Xavier, Marquette, Butler and Depaul

AAC with UConn (9 conference road games)
Driving to 1: Temple
Flying to 8 (as you don't play a true round robin in the AAC)

Reaction Score
I wonder if a conference like the AAC could get 1 billion from DAZN. They are aggressive, have lots of money, and want to be the top sports channel/network/service whatever you want to call it. Right now, they need content badly.

Reaction Score
no one really cares about the travel either we would have joined the big 12 in a heart beat if we could and happily have flown to every game.

everyone stop kidding yourselves- its either the AAC or Big East. end of story.

i think we need ucf and memphis to join the big 12. then we will finally wake up, cut football and join the big east. we'd be left with no choice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm an UCONN alumni and care much about our football team but understand that they are driving the train. I do check the scores and go into the forum hoping that there is a chance they can turn it around so it will help out UCONN basketball. I wish it was separate and we could go to the Big East to play real basketball but unfortunately we are stuck in the AAC. I hope the UCONN football team gets better but I think the chance is almost zero percent but will support us staying in the AAC to appease the those fans here. I just think the basketball program deserves so much more.

I did follow UCONN football when they were good do School pride and even went to our first bowl game against Toledo in Detroit. Unfortunately the product they put on the field nowadays is an embarrassment to the game of football. I won't follow crap like this but will hope they by some miracle can get decent and allow us to go to a better conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We all know this ends with UConn signing the 8M GOR deal right? And that UConn will not get as high a revenue sharing as the top 5 schools. Ugh

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that Uconn will be where they get the most money. Right now, they stand to make more money by playing in AAC, rather than dropping football or going independent and playing basketball in the Big East. The AAC contract will not be as lucrative as the power 5, but it will be considerably more than the basketball only Fox contract.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what happens with all of this it is kind of ridiculous when people say “we can’t get rid of football just for a few bad losing seasons, look what we did in basketball the last two years with losing records.” It’s comparing apples to oranges. We are a basketball power and have 4 national championships since 1999 and we all know about the history of the football program. Football has never been great, we were ok for a few seasons. UConn is basketball.

Reaction Score
Don’t be a fool.

UConn associating with schools like Georgetown and BC in the 80’s and 90’s absolutely helped improve the school’s reputation.

Conference affiliation is about more than sports.

Of the research schools with international reputation only Georgetown remains.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what happens with all of this it is kind of ridiculous when people say “we can’t get rid of football just for a few bad losing seasons, look what we did in basketball the last two years with losing records.” It’s comparing apples to oranges. We are a basketball power and have 4 national championships since 1999 and we all know about the history of the football program. Football has never been great, we were ok for a few seasons. UConn is basketball.
It’s not about basketball!! Or football! This state is poor this university is financially bad it’s about money!!! Whoever gives the most money will get UConn

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that Uconn will be where they get the most money. Right now, they stand to make more money by playing in AAC, rather than dropping football or going independent and playing basketball in the Big East. The AAC contract will not be as lucrative as the power 5, but it will be considerably more than the basketball only Fox contract.

I’m not so sure about that. The AAC tv contract will pay more per year but you have to subtract the operational costs from running the football program.

Once you do that, the NBE tv deal could make UConn more money year to year.

But, then again, you also have the IMG contract, Nike contract etc. which is why they won’t straight up drop football (but might move on from the AAC).

Reaction Score
Of the research schools with international reputation only Georgetown remains.

Villanova is a research institution with, at least, a national brand (and 3 national championships)

Reaction Score
If they go unequal revenue sharing and UConn isn’t one of the benefactors, then UConn should tell the AAC to shove it and they’re taking basketball to the Big East.
I do agree with that. Basketball would be crippled without UConn and they should be getting a cut of that

Reaction Score
Yes and No. The teams are more geographically centered in the Big East and we could drive to 5 games, but it breaks down to about basically three extra flights per conference season.

Is that "world's" better?

Big East with UConn (10 conference road games)
Driving to 5: St. John's, Providence, Seton Hall, Villanova, and Georgetown.
Flying to 5: Creighton, Xavier, Marquette, Butler and Depaul

AAC with UConn (9 conference road games)
Driving to 1: Temple
Flying to 8 (as you don't play a true round robin in the AAC)

That doesn't look like worlds better to me.

And it's ironic too when you consider that practically all posters here want to see these kids travel to Greensboro, NC; Tallahassee, FL; Blacksburg, VA; Stillwater, OK; Ames, IA; Lincoln, NE, etc.

Reaction Score
Villanova is a research institution with, at least, a national brand (and 3 national championships)

No--it's not a research institution--no matter how many times you guys say it is.

Reaction Score
For the size people here:

Georgetown has 17k students
Villanova has 11k

SMU has 11.5k
Tulane has 13k
Tulsa has, like, 13 individual students. It’s probably a one room schoolhouse tbh

Reaction Score
If they go unequal revenue sharing and UConn isn’t one of the benefactors, then UConn should tell the AAC to shove it and they’re taking basketball to the Big East.

Exactly. At that point, I'd rather make less money in the Big East than make more money as a 2nd tier AAC school.

Aresco can shove it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom