AAC & Grant-of-Rights | Page 6 | The Boneyard

AAC & Grant-of-Rights

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Wait, are you honestly flipping comparing academics and flipping Houston, Cincy and UCF to...

Villanova and Georgetown?

Good lord.

But...he will...explain...WHY...by...DOING THIS

Reaction Score
Also, just lol @ the fact that CR is heating up and the timing couldn't be worse, yet again. Susie's leaving and Benedict has a foot out the door and now the big east is talking about expanding and the AAC is now apparently in the middle of bickering between schools and Aresco. Why does this always happen to us?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Oh good lord.

UConn Football is gonna be way better on defense next year for the same reason. Doesn't make it impressive.

Reaction Score
Can somebody dummy this down for morons like myself.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why is it too big? What do we have invested in it? Im genuinely curious.

I visited Connecticut last weekend and it was truly eye opening. My cousin goes to URI and we went to the URI Providence game and it was electric. Great atmosphere at a fun arena.

We drove by Rentschler Field and it is embarassing. Attendance is a joke. It would seem like football costs the University money.

UConn currently has the worst rated AAC recruiting class and 128th class nationally. How does it change? How does it get better?

I am a KU graduate and our football was recently in a similar spot. KU finally made the financial commitment and brought in a legit coach and gave him money to build a competent staff. Do you ever see UConn doing that?

I'm a KU graduate as well. They were good when I was there, under Glen Mason. You know who was the absolute worst D1 program then? And I mean historically bad....K- State. Snyder changed all that, and Mason left for Minnesota. KU was good again under Mangiano and hopefully Miles will make them respectable again. But....

Rentschler is already a much nicer stadium than Memorial. UConn football facilities are very good, better than KUs. Did we hire an expensive coach? No, but Edsall made UConn a winner before and was brought in to stabilize things. Hasn't worked as we hoped so far, but UConn did make a big financial commitment to football. Eating the Diaco buyout was a pretty big commitment.

Randy 2.0 has made what I would call, miscalculations. I hope he can see that and adjust accordingly. All he really needs at this point is a team that can win 4 games. If they do, he'll have some success recruiting again, and things will improve.

Meanwhile, my view of major college athletics of the future, there are schools playing FBS football and there are those that aren't. I'm not sure how long the "those that are" are even going to allow D1 basketball schools that don't play FBS to compete with them. Big changes are possible.

Reaction Score

Basically the problem is that TV right are coming up. AAC needs to hit it big.

Problem is - as we all know - no one wants to stay in the conference. We're all waiting for our P5 invite. TV networks know this, too. So they're refusing to do a big money increase or deal unless they get a legal guarantee that all the teams in the conference now - will still be there at the end of the deal when it expires in ten years.

So hearing this - the conference has asked everyone to sign it. It's called a declaration of rights. Basically it binds us all to the conference for 10 years. Problem is - no one wants to or will ever sign that. But it's AAC for life - or no football TV contract.

Reaction Score
The big east is going to add a team. Or they won't

The AAC wants schools to show the media providers that there is conference stability (there isn't). So they want all the schools to sign an agreement that binds them to remain in the conference for X amount of years. If you breach the agreement by leaving, you default your payouts and pay a fee to the conference which is then distributed between the remaining member schools. But no one wants to sign because no one wants to be in the conference

Reaction Score
I'm a KU graduate as well. They were good when I was there, under Glen Mason. You know who was the absolute worst D1 program then? And I mean historically bad....K- State. Snyder changed all that, and Mason left for Minnesota. KU was good again under Mangiano and hopefully Miles will make them respectable again. But....

Rentschler is already a much nicer stadium than Memorial. UConn football facilities are very good, better than KUs. Did we hire an expensive coach? No, but Edsall made UConn a winner before and was brought in to stabilize things. Hasn't worked as we hoped so far, but UConn did make a big financial commitment to football. Eating the Diaco buyout was a pretty big commitment.

Randy 2.0 has made what I would call, miscalculations. I hope he can see that and adjust accordingly. All he really needs at this point is a team that can win 4 games. If they do, he'll have some success recruiting again, and things will improve.

Meanwhile, my view of major college athletics of the future, there are schools playing FBS football and there are those that aren't. I'm not sure how long the "those that are" are even going to allow D1 basketball schools that don't play FBS to compete with them. Big changes are possible.

It is so much easier to recruit in Kansas than Connecticut though. There are so many programs that were not threats to talent during Randy 1.0. Since then UConn has taken ten steps back and other regional programs have sky rocketed (BC, Syracuse, Temple). I just don't see him getting that momentum back. Hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
Please explain how football led to UConn finishing sub .500 the last two seasons in hoops.

I'll hang up and listen.

What's that have to do with the fact this conference can't get a TV deal unless everyone signs on long term? We're here for football, nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry your dream's over. Sucks, I know. But decision time showed up early.

Reaction Score
What's that have to do with the fact this conference can't get a TV deal unless everyone signs on long term? We're here for football, nothing more, nothing less.

Who's going to make that decision? Herbst is leaving and Benedict wants to get out of Storrs.

Reaction Score
The big east is going to add a team. Or they won't

The AAC wants schools to show the media providers that there is conference stability (there isn't). So they want all the schools to sign an agreement that binds them to remain in the conference for X amount of years. If you breach the agreement by leaving, you default your payouts and pay a fee to the conference which is then distributed between the remaining member schools. But no one wants to sign because no one wants to be in the conference

Got it! Thanks.

If AAC schools pull a Randall "Pink" Floyd (Dazed & Confused anyone?) will the AAC actually settle for a worse TV deal?

Reaction Score
Who's going to make that decision? Herbst is leaving and Benedict wants to get out of Storrs.

Seems like it might have already been made.

There are two long term options for UConn:

1.) Drop football as a serious thing, back to the big east
2.) Stay in the AAC with the ability to get out whenever they want.

Getting locked into the AAC for another decade ain't on that list.

Reaction Score
This conference isn't getting a good TV deal unless everyone agrees to stick around, which no one wants to do or will.

What is the logic here? Why? TV partners put provisos into contracts all the time. Why would it matter to them? They aren't going to lose money if someone leaves.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

You tell me. You original claim is below.

There's literally no point in continuing football at this point to the detriment of our actually successful programs if there's no TV deal worth chasing.

Reaction Score
Got it! Thanks.

If AAC schools pull a Randall "Pink" Floyd (Dazed & Confused anyone?) will the AAC actually settle for a worse TV deal?
Yeah the carrot is the promise of more annual revenue but I don't see that outweighing the negative for half the schools in our league

Reaction Score
What is the logic here? Why? TV partners put provisos into contracts all the time. Why would it matter to them? They aren't going to lose money if someone leaves.

A UCF, UConn-less AAC is not as appealing to advertisers.

And if it's this easy, then why the need for he GoR anyway?

It's got a huge influence on it. No TV network is paying out money on a conference that's as stable as a two legged table.

Reaction Score
It is so much easier to recruit in Kansas than Connecticut though. There are so many programs that were not threats to talent during Randy 1.0. Since then UConn has taken ten steps back and other regional programs have sky rocketed (BC, Syracuse, Temple). I just don't see him getting that momentum back. Hope I am wrong.

Skyrocketed? They've gotten good in the last year or two. Before that one of these schools was almost winless (don't care to go back, but I remember horribly bad).

Things turn around.

Buffalo as ranked this year in the top 25.

Reaction Score
A UCF, UConn-less AAC is not as appealing to advertisers.

And if it's this easy, then why the need for he GoR anyway?

It's got a huge influence on it. No TV network is paying out money on a conference that's as stable as a two legged table.
I seriously don’t think ESPN gives a crap about UConn outside January- Feb basketball games. We have zero leverage when it comes to this deal. They are looking at the prospect of if UCF USF Houston and on leave the conference and become a worse MAC conference. We are so high and mighty on UConns standing in the conference when in reality we aren’t that relevant outside of 2 months of the 12 month calendar year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom