AAC Championship - thoughts from courtside - what you didn't see... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC Championship - thoughts from courtside - what you didn't see...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Is it any wonder that Geno and Jose are golfing buddies, respect each other immensely and are the best of friends?

The wife and I had season tickets for USF this season. The big reason was that USF has been a tough out for UConn over the years. They play a very brand of basketball that is similar to UConn. And of course we still get to see UConn at least once a year in person.

My understanding is that Geno and Jose are whine drinking, cigar smoking buddies who enjoy fine food. And what better place to do all three than in Tampa! Jose is indeed a mirror of Geno in many ways. The young ladies of South Florida are polite, well spoken and some are really funny. You will not see ear buds and phones when at a game or tournament. Just not allowed. After the season finally last Monday, the handshake was more than a formality. The two teams like and respect each other. That says a lot of both schools, coaches and their respective staffs.

BTW - the USF fans understand, enjoy and respect good basketball. They get just as noisy and vocal at the refs as UConn fans!

Two other tidbits. All the young ladies of USF from across the seas speak at least 3 different languages! And the team communicates in English! And without hesitation, we renewed our season tickets for next season last week when the sales office called.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of the team (minus 1) and a fan of the coach. I always root for USF - except when they play UConn.

Reaction Score
Great post by EricLA and the thing that was punctuated by his articulation was what Geno/CD have said many times, they recruit character! The former players have also said many, many times how CD would be on them for the “little things” but that they realized how important it was/is in their own evolution and focus.

Not all teams can recruit the great basketball skilled player AND the outstanding character persona that UConn demands so they have to compromise and maybe that’s the immaturity we see from some teams. Coaches like many leaders, have their teams embue their personality like Muffet’s “us against everybody” attitude where she rarely speaks eloquently about anyone on another team. While I am not a big fan of Coach A, she did speak very eloquently and in extremely high praise of Napheesa in her post game press conference.

When I think about the elite teams like ND, Stanford and Baylor, I see common traits that @EricLA described so well. It’s the up and comers or wanna be’s that don’t know yet how to behave.

And is why I take exception to many of the posts here regarding our "recruitment deficiencies" and lust after "transfers"

Geno and CD don't compromise standards - that is what makes this program what it is - they know the kids they want, or don't want, or won't want

Reaction Score
Much has been said about the trapping of Kyla and the bench of UCF and the generally overly physical play and the purpose of my post is not to address that, but rather other topics I think UCONN fans might find interesting, and somewhat related.

Geno apparently either yelled at, or had some choice words for, Coach Abe after the game. He was way ahead of CD in the congrats line. When Coach Abe got down to CD, she actually pulled CD aside and had a short 15 second or so conversation with her. No idea what was said, but that probably wasn't caught on TV.

The UCONN players politely applauded while UCF received their awards for the all tourney team. Only 2 UCF players politely applauded UCONN - KK Wright and Wilson, who quietly had a nice game off the bench for UCF while Coombs and Dangerfield and Williams smothered Wright into oblivion.

The entire UCF team stayed until UCONN received its' trophy and then they left. They did not stay to watch each UCONN player, coach, and manager receive their award for winning the tourney. Not saying anything wrong with that - just an observation.

The UCONN team was very jazzed in general and you could tell they were very happy with the conference tourney win. Christyn got a hold of the trophy and would not let it go. Not sure how heavy it is, but I winced when they handed it to Lou so they could take pictures of her and Pheesa holding it.

Having said that tho... I watched Lou easily bend down and scoop up some confetti and then bring it over to the band to throw it on them. In fact, the whole team collected a bunch of confetti off the court and walked into the stands to douse the band. Very cute and charming and all of them thanked the band, which I thought was incredibly classy.

They then went back and collected some more and doused the cheerleaders and Jonathan the Husky with it as well. Lou looked like a Red Sox pitcher as she tossed confetti everywhere, and looked totally pain free. I believe Geno when he said she would be ready for the NCAA's.

The best thing about watching the team after the game was over when the cameras aren't on them is to see the obvious chemistry and affection they all have for each other. It's not the screeching high-five bravado of the UCF bench, but rather a genuine affection and respect for each other individually and as teammates.

One other thing that stood out - our seats were right near the reserved seats where individual teams could come out and sit in during games. Most teams came and sat and left at least one seat between them and teammates. They often hung their legs over the chair in front of them and buried their faces in cell phones and/or put on headphones to listen to music or whatever. Note - not all teams did this, but it was noticeable from most.

When UCONN came out and sat, they literally sat right next to each other - no empty seats, no burying face in cell phones, no isolating themselves with headphones etc. They either watched the game, or chatted amiably amongst themselves. To borrow from Doris Burke, the way the players comport themselves is different from most every other team out there. Even when they are introduced, there is no hip-hop crazy high fivery/dancing - just simple high fives to each player from each player. Lou leads the team huddle and it's simple and to the point - almost like professionals. Other teams... well... they look like grade school kids on the playground.

Lastly, I had a chance to speak with one of the parents from Cinci - super nice dad obviously proud of his daughter. He said she wanted to go to UCONN but wasn't good enough. He said all the players LOVE Jamelle and that his daughter went to college as a kid who "used to hide between his legs" (she was so shy). He said Jamelle taught her to speak eloquently for herself and instilled a sense of confidence in her that he knows comes from her UCONN lineage. His daughter wants to be an AD someday and Jamelle invited her up to UCONN for a few weeks this summer to shadow her and see what it is that she does.

I know coaches use bullcrap negative recruiting against UCONN and Geno, but if recruits could spend 5 minutes talking to any parent involved with ANY UCONN coach - past, present, or future, they'd see what a total class act and phenomenally caring program it is. It's NOT just about great basketball, it's also about great people treating families and their daughters with respect, and teaching their kids about far more than just hoops. I LOVE being a UCONN fan and am so proud to be associated with our program.

One other side note - Morgan Tuck was hanging out in the lobby at half time. All smiles while everyone who saw her wanted a picture, myself included. So gracious and charming. Exactly what you'd expect from a UCONN grad. She must know coming to a game and being out in public will give her no time to herself, but she was gracious from start to finish. LOVE her!!
Thanks Eric. One of the best posts I’ve ever read!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A thought occurred to me, I wonder what Nykesha Sales thinks about all this.
Yea, she's in a bit of a difficult position. She has to support her boss vs she's an all time UCONN great. But then she might be able to smooth things out between the two of them??

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Much has been said about the trapping of Kyla and the bench of UCF and the generally overly physical play and the purpose of my post is not to address that, but rather other topics I think UCONN fans might find interesting, and somewhat related.

Geno apparently either yelled at, or had some choice words for, Coach Abe after the game. He was way ahead of CD in the congrats line. When Coach Abe got down to CD, she actually pulled CD aside and had a short 15 second or so conversation with her. No idea what was said, but that probably wasn't caught on TV.

The UCONN players politely applauded while UCF received their awards for the all tourney team. Only 2 UCF players politely applauded UCONN - KK Wright and Wilson, who quietly had a nice game off the bench for UCF while Coombs and Dangerfield and Williams smothered Wright into oblivion.

The entire UCF team stayed until UCONN received its' trophy and then they left. They did not stay to watch each UCONN player, coach, and manager receive their award for winning the tourney. Not saying anything wrong with that - just an observation.

The UCONN team was very jazzed in general and you could tell they were very happy with the conference tourney win. Christyn got a hold of the trophy and would not let it go. Not sure how heavy it is, but I winced when they handed it to Lou so they could take pictures of her and Pheesa holding it.

Having said that tho... I watched Lou easily bend down and scoop up some confetti and then bring it over to the band to throw it on them. In fact, the whole team collected a bunch of confetti off the court and walked into the stands to douse the band. Very cute and charming and all of them thanked the band, which I thought was incredibly classy.

They then went back and collected some more and doused the cheerleaders and Jonathan the Husky with it as well. Lou looked like a Red Sox pitcher as she tossed confetti everywhere, and looked totally pain free. I believe Geno when he said she would be ready for the NCAA's.

The best thing about watching the team after the game was over when the cameras aren't on them is to see the obvious chemistry and affection they all have for each other. It's not the screeching high-five bravado of the UCF bench, but rather a genuine affection and respect for each other individually and as teammates.

One other thing that stood out - our seats were right near the reserved seats where individual teams could come out and sit in during games. Most teams came and sat and left at least one seat between them and teammates. They often hung their legs over the chair in front of them and buried their faces in cell phones and/or put on headphones to listen to music or whatever. Note - not all teams did this, but it was noticeable from most.

When UCONN came out and sat, they literally sat right next to each other - no empty seats, no burying face in cell phones, no isolating themselves with headphones etc. They either watched the game, or chatted amiably amongst themselves. To borrow from Doris Burke, the way the players comport themselves is different from most every other team out there. Even when they are introduced, there is no hip-hop crazy high fivery/dancing - just simple high fives to each player from each player. Lou leads the team huddle and it's simple and to the point - almost like professionals. Other teams... well... they look like grade school kids on the playground.

Lastly, I had a chance to speak with one of the parents from Cinci - super nice dad obviously proud of his daughter. He said she wanted to go to UCONN but wasn't good enough. He said all the players LOVE Jamelle and that his daughter went to college as a kid who "used to hide between his legs" (she was so shy). He said Jamelle taught her to speak eloquently for herself and instilled a sense of confidence in her that he knows comes from her UCONN lineage. His daughter wants to be an AD someday and Jamelle invited her up to UCONN for a few weeks this summer to shadow her and see what it is that she does.

I know coaches use bullcrap negative recruiting against UCONN and Geno, but if recruits could spend 5 minutes talking to any parent involved with ANY UCONN coach - past, present, or future, they'd see what a total class act and phenomenally caring program it is. It's NOT just about great basketball, it's also about great people treating families and their daughters with respect, and teaching their kids about far more than just hoops. I LOVE being a UCONN fan and am so proud to be associated with our program.

One other side note - Morgan Tuck was hanging out in the lobby at half time. All smiles while everyone who saw her wanted a picture, myself included. So gracious and charming. Exactly what you'd expect from a UCONN grad. She must know coming to a game and being out in public will give her no time to herself, but she was gracious from start to finish. LOVE her!!
Wonderful post. This doesn't mean I've forgiven you for abandoning San Diego for LA, but I will put away the voodoo doll.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

I think we need to get the ESPN stats gurus on this right away to see if Eric's post has set the all time record for likes!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Great post by EricLA and the thing that was punctuated by his articulation was what Geno/CD have said many times, they recruit character! The former players have also said many, many times how CD would be on them for the “little things” but that they realized how important it was/is in their own evolution and focus.

Not all teams can recruit the great basketball skilled player AND the outstanding character persona that UConn demands so they have to compromise and maybe that’s the immaturity we see from some teams. Coaches like many leaders, have their teams embue their personality like Muffet’s “us against everybody” attitude where she rarely speaks eloquently about anyone on another team. While I am not a big fan of Coach A, she did speak very eloquently and in extremely high praise of Napheesa in her post game press conference.

When I think about the elite teams like ND, Stanford and Baylor, I see common traits that @EricLA described so well. It’s the up and comers or wanna be’s that don’t know yet how to behave.
Chuck Noll, the great coach of the Super Bowl winning Pittsburgh Steelers back in the seventies and early eighties, would chastise players who wanted to "celebrate" in the end zone and show off their personal exploits. He was always one for decorum and team and city pride. He used to say "You are a Pittsburgh Steeler. When you get into the end zone, I expect you to act like you've been there before." This is what Geno and CD and the UConn staff instill in their players. You are a part of a much greater whole. I have never been to Storrs, or seen a UConn game live, but I brim with pride at the total class the players have both during and after their college days. :D

Bama fan

Reaction Score

What a fantastic post with a thoughtful, well written message that was a joy to read. Thank you for maybe the best post on a serious note that I have ever read. In watching the televised broadcast, we miss so much of the important action and are denied the ambiance that the arena provides. One thing I did see that gave me much happiness was Katie Lou leading the team in a rousing rendition of 'We Are the Champions" . What a happy, joyful bunch of hard working kids who obviously love one another like sisters. Thanks again. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Reaction Score
Thanks for the

Thanks for the post. I did see the chemistry with the team, which is great to see, especially the young players laughing and having fun. I optimistic that this team is gelling at the right time and hopefully can make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Ask my friends, they will say I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (hopefully with good humor), but I think I'm smarter than I look!!
Not all tools are meant to be sharp! And they perform their functions rather well. :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I did think that the block on Crystal was dirty: the replay showed the UCF player hitting her in the head with her arm, while also blocking the ball. Got away with a foul, and quite possibly a technical foul.
We've got like three other threads on the play of the UCF team. Let's leave this thread positive, as Eric started it that way.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
The wife and I had season tickets for USF this season. The big reason was that USF has been a tough out for UConn over the years. They play a very brand of basketball that is similar to UConn. And of course we still get to see UConn at least once a year in person.

My understanding is that Geno and Jose are whine drinking, cigar smoking buddies who enjoy fine food. And what better place to do all three than in Tampa! Jose is indeed a mirror of Geno in many ways. The young ladies of South Florida are polite, well spoken and some are really funny. You will not see ear buds and phones when at a game or tournament. Just not allowed. After the season finally last Monday, the handshake was more than a formality. The two teams like and respect each other. That says a lot of both schools, coaches and their respective staffs.

BTW - the USF fans understand, enjoy and respect good basketball. They get just as noisy and vocal at the refs as UConn fans!

Two other tidbits. All the young ladies of USF from across the seas speak at least 3 different languages! And the team communicates in English! And without hesitation, we renewed our season tickets for next season last week when the sales office called.
I know a lot of guys who are whine drinkers! ;) But I'll bet Geno and Jose are not! Vino yes, whine, not so much. :D I enjoy the USF squad very much.

Reaction Score

Only one word describes this posting----WONDERFUL, THANKS.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I know a lot of guys who are whine drinkers! ;) But I'll bet Geno and Jose are not! Vino yes, whine, not so much. :D I enjoy the USF squad very much.
I was going to comment on that WHINE, but I figured you would catch it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Well the fingers don't always cooperate with the brain. Especially when the brain goes too fast!!!

Reaction Score
RSHERM: Whoa. Was not aware of your health problems. You are one of my ten or 12 posters. Please consider sending me a PM with any info you are comfortable passing along....or, better yet, contact me with a phone # or email so we could communicate a bit directly. Stay well!

RSHERM: This was SUPPOSED to say, "You are one of my TOP ten or 12 favorite posters." In my personal BY pantheon. Hope this correction reaches you?

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Well the fingers don't always cooperate with the brain. Especially when the brain goes too fast!!!
I do not have that problem, thankfully. For me it just the opposite. My brain now moves so slowly that my fingers cannot wait! We end up in the same place , you and I, but we just take different paths. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom