AA slump...who will break out of it? | The Boneyard

AA slump...who will break out of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Last year, the big 3 guards (sorry duke fan) Hartley, Sims and Diggins were all on the AA team posted in another thread.

All three are not performing at that same level. Sims and Hartley most likely due to injuries and Diggins is struggling without her former teammates.

Hartley last year - 33.2 mpg, 14.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg , 3.7 apg, 46.5 fg, 33.2 3fg
Hartley this year - 21.3 mpg , 7.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg , 3.3 apg, 40.5 fg, 29.4 3fg

Diggins last year - 30.8 mpg, 16.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg , 5.7 apg, 50.0 fg, 35.5 3fg
Diggins this year - 32.0 mpg, 12.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg , 5.9 apg, 33.7 fg, 22.2 3fg

Sims last year - 32.2 mpg, 14.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg , 4.4 apg, 44.7 fg, 39.9 3fg
Sims this year - 25.0 mpg, 12.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg , 5.0 apg, 41.2 fg, 28.6 3fg

Should be interesting to see who jumps to what was expected this year.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Diggins' field goal percentage is frighteningly low. She's normally a terrific shooter. It's hard to imagine what's wrong. Perhaps defenses are focusing on her more than in the past and she has yet to adjust. It will be fascinating to see how the rest of the season plays out for her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Diggins is shooting like Sugar Rodgers or Riquana Williams. Sub-40% does not get my AA vote.

Injuries have affected Hartley and Sims. Maybe lack of post support is impacting Diggins.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As a said in another thread, were Diggins' numbers the product of the players around her or was she the playmaker/facilitator who made the others around her that much better? That is what WNBA scouts want to know.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Cam: if perchance you go to any of the Nike games next week it would be great if you would give us your thoughts...both in general and with some specificity as to Courtney Ekmark and St. Mary's and Saniya Chong and her Ossining team.
Toss in Jordan Canada and her California team [Windward?]

Reaction Score
On today's chat, John Altavilla said, "Baylor has an Achilles heel, the smoldering relationship between Kim Mulkey and Sims..If Sims isn't into it, for whatever reason, Baylor isn't that good ." JA didn't elaborate. Whatever the problem might be(?), I wonder whether it is related to Sims' subpar (for her) year so far. Though I also have to wonder how down she is. Under DD's statistics, her minutes per game are down, so doesn't that impact ppg. and apg (which are actually up despite fewer minutes) and rbg? If we disregard the stats affected by the reduced minutes, the only thing that seems down by a significant amount is her 3-point percentage.

Reaction Score
As a said in another thread, were Diggins' numbers the product of the players around her or was she the playmaker/facilitator who made the others around her that much better? That is what WNBA scouts want to know.

ND has 3 players averaging between 14-15 points. Skylar isn't one of them, while she was always 1 of the top 2 in previous years. Diggins assist numbers are the same. If it's a case the players making Diggins look good then McBride, Achonwa, and Loyd > McBride, Peters, and Novosel. She just isn't shooting the ball well. Even in the Baylor game that people are using to downgrade Diggins ability she had 7 assists, 3 turnovers, 4 steals compared to Sims 6 assists, 7 turnovers, and 2 steals. Who had the teammates more likely to garner you an assist? The only thing she didn't do was shoot the ball well. Diggins scored 8pts, Sims 16pts. However, Sims was 10-10 ft something that normally would be frowned upon with Diggins and ND by fans of other teams. Driving the lane is a normal component of Diggins scoring game. That's not an option with Baylor, so she had to volume shoot. That's not her typical M.O. Lifetime Diggins is 13-16 ft against Baylor. Sims is 32-36 ft. Diggins still has a higher scoring and assist average head to head with Sims. The same question about talent/teams talent can be applied to Sims success.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
ND has 3 players averaging between 14-15 points. Skylar isn't one of them, while she was always 1 of the top 2 in previous years. Diggins assist numbers are the same. If it's a case the players making Diggins look good then McBride, Achonwa, and Loyd > McBride, Peters, and Novosel. She just isn't shooting the ball well. Even in the Baylor game that people are using to downgrade Diggins ability she had 7 assists, 3 turnovers, 4 steals compared to Sims 6 assists, 7 turnovers, and 2 steals. Who had the teammates more likely to garner you an assist? The only thing she didn't do was shoot the ball well. Diggins scored 8pts, Sims 16pts. However, Sims was 10-10 ft something that normally would be frowned upon with Diggins and ND by fans of other teams. Driving the lane is a normal component of Diggins scoring game. That's not an option with Baylor, so she had to volume shoot. That's not her typical M.O. Lifetime Diggins is 13-16 ft against Baylor. Sims is 32-36 ft. Diggins still has a higher scoring and assist average head to head with Sims. The same question about talent/teams talent can be applied to Sims success.

Why are you bringing up specific matchups? I was comparing stats from last year to this year.

Are you telling me with Peters, Novosel, McBride last year, somehow Diggins had to score more last year than this year?

And while her assists are basically the same, her TO's are up.

So, she is scoring 4 points less per game, shooting worse, and turning the ball over more and you have the need to defend it as if she is playing to an AA level.

"She just isn't shooting the ball well. "

Bull. And even if that was the case, how is that "just". Her shooting percentages are horrific.

"However, Sims was 10-10 ft something that normally would be frowned upon with Diggins and ND by fans of other teams."

Wahhhh wahhh wahhh....

"Driving the lane is a normal component of Diggins scoring game. That's not an option with Baylor, so she had to volume shoot. That's not her typical M.O."

So what is her excuse for all the other games this year where she shot a ton and missed a ton?

Unbelievable.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Cam: if perchance you go to any of the Nike games next week it would be great if you would give us your thoughts...both in general and with some specificity as to Courtney Ekmark and St. Mary's and Saniya Chong and her Ossining team.
Toss in Jordan Canada and her California team [Windward?]

Unfortunately, I will not be able to check it out, as I am buried right now.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For the season so far, Diggins has 41 assists to 26 turnovers, or 1.6 A/TO. She's shot 29-86 on the season and 4-18 from beyond the arc. Not great numbers. However, it's still early season. Yes, UConn fans, I know 25% of the games have been played but it takes until the end of Dec for teams with a lot of new players to find their grooves. Some great UConn shooters have put up some ugly airballs this season, too.

It also occurred to me that Diggins is a senior and may have some wear and tear issues on her joints or something similar. I was critical of her before, thinking she hasn't lived up to her billing, but after watching Bria limp around the court I started to wonder if Diggins has some kind of nagging injury. Maybe we should give her the benefit of the doubt.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
For the season so far, Diggins has 41 assists to 26 turnovers, or 1.6 A/TO. She's shot 29-86 on the season and 4-18 from beyond the arc. Not great numbers. However, it's still early season. Yes, UConn fans, I know 25% of the games have been played but it takes until the end of Dec for teams with a lot of new players to find their grooves. Some great UConn shooters have put up some ugly airballs this season, too.

It also occurred to me that Diggins is a senior and may have some wear and tear issues on her joints or something similar. I was critical of her before, thinking she hasn't lived up to her billing, but after watching Bria limp around the court I started to wonder if Diggins has some kind of nagging injury. Maybe we should give her the benefit of the doubt.

Not sure about an injury Nan. Nothing has been reported. Certainly not coming back from a bad ankle injury or a hamstring (or was it a quad) injury like Hartley and Sims.

I did not just post about Diggins, Nan, so I know you weren't including me in your "UConn fans/25%" comment. I was just pointing out that at this point in time, the 3 AA's were not playing like it.

Sims answered the bell tonight. Great game against an overmatched opponent. 27 points, 6 assists, 6 steals.

Hoping Hartley is the next to play up to expectations!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Last year, the big 3 guards (sorry duke fan) Hartley, Sims and Diggins were all on the AA team posted in another thread. .

:rolleyes: Oh you mean THAT AA team.. gotcha

Reaction Score

And maybe not. So Bria limps around the court and that makes you wonder if Diggins is hurt. Watched the Baylor game and Diggins was definitely not physically hurt, maybe her feelings were hurt by getting sat on by the Baylor defense. That drive she made later in the game against Griner was one of the most athletic plays you'll see, she was a ok physically.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And maybe not. So Bria limps around the court and that makes you wonder if Diggins is hurt.
No, watching one of UConn's best shooters chuck up air balls and shots that hit the side of the basket make me wonder if Diggins' stats are down because she's gmpy in some way. But keep on disliking a young woman because some guy thinks she's attractive and people follow her on Twitter. BTW, did anyone notice her giving a hand up to the Baylor players that fell to the floor? No? But I bet you counted how many times she fixed her hairband, though.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I did not just post about Diggins, Nan, so I know you weren't including me in your "UConn fans/25%" comment. I was just pointing out that at this point in time, the 3 AA's were not playing like it.
No, not directed at you just at the Diggins haters that might pick that phrase out of your post.

I'm getting tired of a bunch of older guys piling on Skylar Diggins because she's pretty, has an admirer in L'il Wayne and has a lot of Twitter followers. I'm sure it has nothing to do with her outplaying UConn when ND beat the Huskies. I will say that it's pretty embarrassing to read some of the bitchy posts about Diggins and her looks, her mannerisms, etc. For all you 60-something guys that have ever wondered what middle school girls used to giggle about in hallways - just read the Skylar Diggins threads. I think we should stick to discussing basketball. Want to talk about Diggins shooting 4-19 vs Baylor? No problem. Want to talk about her hair or her Twitter account then post it on a more appropriate forum.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not sure about an injury Nan. Nothing has been reported. Certainly not coming back from a bad ankle injury or a hamstring (or was it a quad) injury like Hartley and Sims.

Sims answered the bell tonight. Great game against an overmatched opponent. 27 points, 6 assists, 6 steals.

Hoping Hartley is the next to play up to expectations!

Sims is now at 15pts, 5.2 assists, 2.4 reb, and 3.0 steals, 50% FG, 21 of 21 from the FT line and 33% from 3 pt range. She has these averages in almost 7 fewer minutes a game than last year. Also, keep in mind that one of those games she only played 4 minutes, so her stats per game would have been even greater had it not been for that 4 minute game.

Minus the Stanford game, Sims is at 18.75 pts, 3 Rebs, 6.5 assists 3.75 steals.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sims is now at 15pts, 5.2 assists, 2.4 reb, and 3.0 steals, 50% FG, 21 of 21 from the FT line and 33% from 3 pt range. She has these averages in almost 7 fewer minutes a game than last year. Also, keep in mind that one of those games she only played 4 minutes, so her stats per game would have been even greater had it not been for that 4 minute game.

Minus the Stanford game, Sims is at 18.75 pts, 3 Rebs, 6.5 assists 3.75 steals.

This is a perfect example of a fan defending a player on their team with FACTS as opposed to emotion.

easttexastrash > rjp172

Reaction Score
No, not directed at you just at the Diggins haters that might pick that phrase out of your post.

I'm getting tired of a bunch of older guys piling on Skylar Diggins because she's pretty, has an admirer in L'il Wayne and has a lot of Twitter followers. I'm sure it has nothing to do with her outplaying UConn when ND beat the Huskies. I will say that it's pretty embarrassing to read some of the bitchy posts about Diggins and her looks, her mannerisms, etc. For all you 60-something guys that have ever wondered what middle school girls used to giggle about in hallways - just read the Skylar Diggins threads. I think we should stick to discussing basketball. Want to talk about Diggins shooting 4-19 vs Baylor? No problem. Want to talk about her hair or her Twitter account then post it on a more appropriate forum.
Wow! I didn't see this coming. I read the forum all the time but don't post much but I have to say that your "older guys/60-something guys" comment strikes a nerve. I'm dissappointed that you would write something like that. No need to ban me, I'll ban myself.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

I don't know about injury, but I do know with all of the changes to the line up, ND is still developing their chemistry. Turnovers and assists are most certainly affected by team chemistry. Diggins is still learning how to best run things with her new court mates and they are all learning how to play with each other. I can only imagine how many times Skylar has thrown the ball to the spot on the floor of where her teammate is supposed to be, only to find out after the ball has left her hand that the teammate was not going to that spot. This is just one example of assists going down and turnovers going up. Also, she's being leaned on more this year and even if not injured, she just might be fatigued from trying to pull the load. As her court mates get better, so will she.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't know about injury, but I do know with all of the changes to the line up, ND is still developing their chemistry. Turnovers and assists are most certainly affected by team chemistry. Diggins is still learning how to best run things with her new court mates and they are all learning how to play with each other. I can only imagine how many times Skylar has thrown the ball to the spot on the floor of where her teammate is supposed to be, only to find out after the ball has left her hand that the teammate was not going to that spot. This is just one example of assists going down and turnovers going up. Also, she's being leaned on more this year and even if not injured, she just might be fatigued from trying to pull the load. As her court mates get better, so will she.

"I can only imagine how many times Skylar has thrown the ball to the spot on the floor of where her teammate is supposed to be, only to find out after the ball has left her hand that the teammate was not going to that spot."

Well, it can't be THAT many times. But yes, new players take time to get in sync. Pretty much agree with what you are saying.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
"I can only imagine how many times Skylar has thrown the ball to the spot on the floor of where her teammate is supposed to be, only to find out after the ball has left her hand that the teammate was not going to that spot."

Well, it can't be THAT many times. But yes, new players take time to get in sync. Pretty much agree with what you are saying.

I never stated HOW MANY TIMES, so where's the issue. The point is that her assist to turnover ratio is not as good as last year, so yes, it can be enough times that it impacts those numbers.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
doggydaddy said:

I never stated HOW MANY TIMES, so where's the issue. The point is that her assist to turnover ratio is not as good as last year, so yes, it can be enough times that it impacts those numbers.

Simpsons-Homer-DOH.png

Reaction Score
Hartley is struggling because she's coming off an injury. Sims, I think is "struggling" more because of her coach. And Diggins, my guess is her issue is the new team. She pretty much "grew up" with a majority of the team last season. She's got a lot of pressure. It happens.

Reaction Score

Cheez-Nan your wide brush really managed to insult probably 70% of the Uconn fandom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom