AA s | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AA s

Reaction Score
An interesting look at conference POY picks from ESPN, which plays into AA consideration a bit. These are just one person‘s opinion for each league.

ACC: Evans 1, Kitley 2
Big 10: Hillmon 1, Owusu 2
Big 12: Mack 1, Smith 2
PAC: McDonald 1, Jones 2
SEC: Boston 1, Howard 2

Clark was mentioned in the Big 10 write up as being edged out by Owusu, Collier and Joens were mentioned in the B12 and Dungee in the SEC. Some others were not mentioned at all that should be on the cusp in their leagues (and for AA): Onyenwere, Cunane, Gondrezick, spring to mind.

Given the shortened season for many teams, my view is that it would be best to revisit after the conference tournaments. I believe we will see the creme rise to the top in the conference tournaments

Reaction Score
Going back over all the AA posts, I don't see Kiana Williams (Stanford) on anyone's list. Having watched her for 4 years, there is no better all-around guard in the PAC-12. Yes, I would rather have her on my squad before Ari McDonald, or, Haley Jones.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kierstan Bell FGCU should be up there somewhere.
Nah.. I can't cosign that. Hayes at Middle TN State is leading the the nation in scoring and Bell at FGCU is 5th. As good as that sounds I'm passing on both for AA because both players had an opportunity to play at P5 school (Ohio State and TN) and chose to go to a lower level of competition.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I dont' know the motivations for the transfers, but players do transfer all the time, and perhaps these schools were better fits for a number of reasons (Ohio State and UT are also massive schools, they may have wanted a smaller school feel).

At least in Bell's case, she's led FGCU to a 19-2 record and an almost certain NCAA berth. The team's two losses are both to ranked teams: Missouri St and Arkansas, which both were played without Bell.

Very interesting thing the conference is also doing: Looks like teams are playing each other twice, in one location, back to back days, two games every weekend: 2020-21 Women's Basketball Schedule - FGCU Athletics

Reaction Score
I dont' know the motivations for the transfers, but players do transfer all the time, and perhaps these schools were better fits for a number of reasons (Ohio State and UT are also massive schools, they may have wanted a smaller school feel).

At least in Bell's case, she's led FGCU to a 19-2 record and an almost certain NCAA berth. The team's two losses are both to ranked teams: Missouri St and Arkansas, which both were played without Bell.

Very interesting thing the conference is also doing: Looks like teams are playing each other twice, in one location, back to back days, two games every weekend: 2020-21 Women's Basketball Schedule - FGCU Athletics
Took a peek at Bell’s work and I think I’d like to wait to see how she does in the next four. FGCU hasn’t played the No. 2 and No. 3 teams in their league yet, and she didn’t play against Arkansas, so her stats are basically all against losing teams. If she carries them through the next four and they finish unbeaten in the league, i think she’d deserve to be in the conversation.

Reaction Score
Bell and FGCU up big over North Florida 75-35. I’d expect her to be done for the day but right now she has 24 points, 12 rebounds 1 block and 2 steals. Not bad.

Reaction Score
One interesting note this season is how few balanced teams there are. Of the big dogs, UConn and Stanford seem to be thin at the forward/post spots, and South Carolina doesn’t have tremendous guard play. I would say A&M’s frontcourt situation is about equal to SC’s backcourt—decent, but not dominant, players. Jones is good but not the defensive presence (aside from her terrific rebounding) needed. I would say NC State is probably the most balanced roster of the top five, but outside of Perez there hasn’t been a ton of production from the guard positions.

Many of these young ladies will still be in the mix for all-conference honors, of course. I just mean that when you look at the national title picture, there doesn’t seem to be a team that is stacked across all five court positions. Oregon and South Carolina were that way last year; Notre Dame and Baylor were the year prior.

Interestingly enough, Baylor seems to have a pretty diverse roster of talent, but I can’t see Baylor as a legitimate title threat this year. I don’t think the chemistry, execution, and shooting is there. Certainly a top ten team, though.
Baylor is going to surprise lots of people this post season! Egbo and smith has been good down the stretch and dijonai, moon and didi has been steady. Our shooting might not be there yet but our defense is!

Reaction Score
17 points and 8 rebounds for a team that isnt projected to be a tournament team? Not a realistic AA candidate.
PAC-12 coaches know better, naming Mya to First Tram All-PAC-12. Sixth in scoring, second in rebounding, first in double doubles. If Massey is right, Colorado is a tournament team. And all this after losing their All PAC-12 Defensive First Teamer Sherrod after beating then No. 1 Stanford.

Reaction Score
Nah.. I can't cosign that. Hayes at Middle TN State is leading the the nation in scoring and Bell at FGCU is 5th. As good as that sounds I'm passing on both for AA because both players had an opportunity to play at P5 school (Ohio State and TN) and chose to go to a lower level of competition.
Well that didn’t stop Delle Donne, Bell could be a top 3 draft pick by the time she leaves college.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
PAC-12 coaches know better, naming Mya to First Tram All-PAC-12. Sixth in scoring, second in rebounding, first in double doubles. If Massey is right, Colorado is a tournament team. And all this after losing their All PAC-12 Defensive First Teamer Sherrod after beating then No. 1 Stanford.
I get that youre a Colorado fan, but making a 15 person All Pac 12 team is very different than making a 15 person All America team. And Massey isn't an indicator for making the tournament. Charlie Creme doesn't have them in the tournament and his picks are usually pretty accurate for who receives a bid and who doesn't
Realistically she isn't on anyone's radar for AA honors.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well that didn’t stop Delle Donne, Bell could be a top 3 draft pick by the time she leaves college.
Well it actually did cost EDD because despite being CAA's Player of the Year for the 2009-11 seasons EDD was not named a WBCA AA during her first two season at Delaware. EDD was not named WBCA AA until her Junior season in which she led the nation in scoring. This was not necessarily bias towards P5 schools either because during the 09-11 season Amber Harris of Xavier and Courtney Vandersloot of Gonzaga.
I agree that Bell can be a top WNBA pick but just don't see her or Hayes making AA unless they put up those numbers for a few more years.

Reaction Score
She’s an all-P12 talent. She’s not a top All-America candidate. Really don’t understand why we all keep debating this with you. Either she’ll be named one or she won’t.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well it actually did cost EDD because despite being CAA's Player of the Year for the 2009-11 seasons EDD was not named a WBCA AA during her first two season at Delaware. EDD was not named WBCA AA until her Junior season in which she led the nation in scoring. This was not necessarily bias towards P5 schools either because during the 09-11 season Amber Harris of Xavier and Courtney Vandersloot of Gonzaga.
I agree that Bell can be a top WNBA pick but just don't see her or Hayes making AA unless they put up those numbers for a few more years.

The difference too is that Xavier and Delaware were stronger teams than FGCU is this year. Xavier was a 2 seed in 2010 and a 3 seed in 2011. Delaware was a 3 seed and a 6 seed in 2012 and 2013. Gonzaga was only an 11 seed, but Vandersloot didn't receive any national recognition until her senior season when she broke the single season assist record and was the first NCAA player to ever hit 2000 points/1000 assists. FGCU hasn't been top 25 all year, same with MTSU. I think Hayes/Bell may be on more radars next year, but usually younger players on weaker teams don't get national recognition until they've proven their worth in multiple seasons.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She’s an all-P12 talent. She’s not a top All-America candidate. Really don’t understand why we all keep debating this with you. Either she’ll be named one or she won’t.

If Dokey keeps it up.... imma have to start on a Skylar Curran for honorable mention AA team rant.. :D:p:eek::rolleyes:;):)??

Reaction Score
If Dokey keeps it up.... imma have to start on a Skylar Curran for honorable mention AA team rant.. :D:p:eek::rolleyes:;):)??
I am just saying she had a great season and deserves recognition. Too often players on teams that aren’t in the upper echelon are ignored. It is the nature of the game. We love winners. It is easy sometimes to be a great player when surrounded by a great supporting cast, it is quite another to carry a lesser team on your shoulders.

Reaction Score
Boston, Bueckers, Evans, Hillmon, Mack, McDonald, Owusu, would be my picks for AA’s, Bell, Clark, Collier, Cunane, Dungee, Hayes, Howard, Onyenwere, Osborne, and N’Dea Jones would also be in the mix, much like NPOY a lot of awards are up for grabs this year.

Reaction Score
I am so looking forward to the NCAA Tournament. There are some outstanding players that will surprise and be new additions to the "AA" list.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't agree. The cultish idolatry of the power 5 has truly gotten out of control when it becomes the basis for excluding players from consideration. I'm not down with that.

Reaction Score
I am so looking forward to the NCAA Tournament. There are some outstanding players that will surprise and be new additions to the "AA" list.

Aren't the All-American's chosen before the tournament? Just like the other National awards?

Reaction Score
11 Naismith Semi-Finalists

Boston
Bueckers
Clark
Collier
Cunane
Evans
Hillmon
Howard
McDonald
Onyenwere
NaLyssa Smith

Feel like Dungee and Owusu are the biggest omissions.

Reaction Score
11 Naismith Semi-Finalists

Boston
Bueckers
Clark
Collier
Cunane
Evans
Hillmon
Howard
McDonald
Onyenwere
NaLyssa Smith

Feel like Dungee and Owusu are the biggest omissions.

Not a bad list, but I would replace Smith or Howard with Owusu for sure.

Reaction Score
Not a bad list, but I would replace Smith or Howard with Owusu for sure.
I’m in support of Owusu’s inclusion, but I’m not sure about in replacement of Smith. NaLyssa Smith has been REALLY good for Baylor this year. 18ppg and 9 boards on 54% shooting with non-negligible block, steal, and assist numbers.

I do acknowledge there have been so many outstanding performances this year. It will be hard to whittle down to ten.

Reaction Score
I am just saying she had a great season and deserves recognition. Too often players on teams that aren’t in the upper echelon are ignored. It is the nature of the game. We love winners. It is easy sometimes to be a great player when surrounded by a great supporting cast, it is quite another to carry a lesser team on your shoulders.
I think the idea here is that, right or wrong, if a player is truly that good, she will bring her team into national discussion. That doesn’t mean the team needs to be a title contender (Kentucky isn’t, but Howard’s presence has put them under a small spotlight of sorts).

In Hollingshed’s case, she plays for a 10-9 team that is not wholly likely to make the tournament barring a few PAC-12 tourney wins. She is a good player who is deserving of her league recognition, but AAs are for the best players in the country who elevate their teams to a level of competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom