AA s | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AA s

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I would replace both McDonald and Jones. McDonald is having a mediocre season for her (and is by far having her worst shooting season); and Jones is obviously very talented but I don't think she's the most important player on that team (that would be Kianni Williams).

Would replace with Awusu and either Mack or Dungee.

Reaction Score
WBCA style without regard for positions or 1st or 2nd Team
  1. Aliyah Boston-South Carolina
  2. Paige Bueckers-UCONN
  3. Caitlin Clark-Iowa
  4. Elissa Cunane-NC State
  5. Chelsea Dungee-Arkansas
  6. Dana Evans-Louisville
  7. Naz Hillmon-Michigan
  8. Rhyne Howard-Kentucky
  9. Haley Jones-Stanford
  10. Aari Mcdonald-Arizona
I could live with that list. There will always be a few just on the cusp but overall it's a solid one. Clark may not make it and could be bumped by an upperclassman.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I could live with that list. There will always be a few just on the cusp but overall it's a solid one. Clark may not make it and could be bumped by an upperclassman.
Three of the top 8 scorers in the country are Clark (#2) Hillman (#3) and Joens (#8). If Hillman makes it then Clark has a better case. I think Joens is the one that falls short. Clark might end up leading the nation is scoring and I don't believe there has ever been a player on a P5 team to lead nation is scoring and not been named AA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Big 10 has three of the top 8 scorers in the country in Clark (#2) Hillman (#3) and Joens (#8). If Hillman makes it then Clark has a better case. I think Joens is the one that falls short. Clark might end up leading the nation is scoring and I don't believe there has ever been a player on a P5 team to lead nation is scoring and not been named AA.
You could be right. I'm honestly not sure but I know record can play a part in the votes. She sounds like an outstanding player and could be on the team. It's not tough to get consensus on 7 or 8 of these ladies most years but there is almost always a discussion over the last two or three and there is almost always a case for the first few out.

Reaction Score
My picks would be:
1st Team:
Naz Hillmon-Michigan
Aliyah Boston-South Carolina
Rhyne Howard-Kentucky
Dana Evans-Louisville
Paige Bueckers-UCONN

2nd Team:
Ashley Owusu-Maryland
Elissa Cunane-NC State
Haley Jones-Stanford
Aari Mcdonald-Arizona
Chelsea Dungee-Oklahoma

3rd Team:
Michaela Onyenwere-UCLA
Nalyssa Smith-Baylor
Charli Collier-Texas
Ashley Joens-Iowa State
Caitlin Clark-Iowa

On the cusp:
N'Dea Jones-Texas A&M
Diamond Miller-Maryland
Zia Cooke-South Carolina
Rae Burrell-Tennessee
Charisma Osborne-UCLA
No love for Mya Hollingshed? Not even on cusp? Leading PAC-12 in double doubles. 28 points and 12 rebounds in last outing. 5th in scoring, 1st in rebounding in PAC-12.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
No love for Mya Hollingshed? Not even on cusp? Leading PAC-12 in double doubles. 28 points and 12 rebounds in last outing. 5th in scoring, 1st in rebounding in PAC-12.
17 points and 8 rebounds for a team that isnt projected to be a tournament team? Not a realistic AA candidate.

Reaction Score
Three of the top 8 scorers in the country are Clark (#2) Hillman (#3) and Joens (#8). If Hillman makes it then Clark has a better case. I think Joens is the one that falls short. Clark might end up leading the nation is scoring and I don't believe there has ever been a player on a P5 team to lead nation is scoring and not been named AA.
Joens is super overrated. Iowa State isn’t particularly far from a .500 record.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I have not watched Joens enough, but 23.6ppg and 9rpg while shooting 46% from the field and being the focus of every team's defense is pretty impressive. And ISU is 14-9 and 10-6 in conference, which while not gangbusters is safely over .500. Why do you think she's overrated?

Reaction Score
I have not watched Joens enough, but 23.6ppg and 9rpg while shooting 46% from the field and being the focus of every team's defense is pretty impressive. And ISU is 14-9 and 10-6 in conference, which while not gangbusters is safely over .500. Why do you think she's overrated?
I agree-I've watched her a few times and she is very good. And more importantly, a work horse.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She's not helping you out in promoting her for AA today. Colorado is gonna win but she has 6 points on 3-10 shooting and 3 boards against a not good UW team.

Reaction Score
17 points and 8 rebounds for a team that isnt projected to be a tournament team? Not a realistic AA candidate.
She's not helping you out in promoting her for AA today. Colorado is gonna win but she has 6 points on 3-10 shooting and 3 boards against a not good UW team.
12 points total actually. But this was a terrible game. Both teams deserved to lose. Is Paige eliminated after scoring only 11?

Reaction Score
I guess I won’t pay any attention to AA teams when they come out. That’s my realism.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
12 points total actually. But this was a terrible game. Both teams deserved to lose. Is Paige eliminated after scoring only 11?
How can you even try to jest with that ridiculous point In a blowout win over a terrible Xavier team? And oh, by the way, she did have 9 assists!

Hollingshed is not worthy nor a serious contender for AA.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I guess I won’t pay any attention to AA teams when they come out. That’s my realism.
Picking up your toys and headed home, huh

Reaction Score
FWIW, ESPN crew (Lobo and Landers were on air but don’t know if it was a collaboration with others) did a segment where they had 9 in the POY race

Boston
Bueckers
Clark
Collier
Evans
Hillmon
Howard
McDonald
NaLyssa Smith

Reaction Score
FWIW, ESPN crew (Lobo and Landers were on air but don’t know if it was a collaboration with others) did a segment where they had 9 in the POY race

Boston
Bueckers
Clark
Collier
Evans
Hillmon
Howardn
McDonald
NaLyssa Smith
As much as they said it was a wide open race, I just don't really think it is. There are 2 players in contention, IMO-Bueckers and Evans, with Boston having an outside shot. Frankly, for a team that was picked #1, SC has too many losses for Boston to be the POY. Is she good enough to be? Sure. Does she deserve it? I don't know.

Evans has been great, but man, Louisville has looked shaky for weeks. I think they were vaulted to #1 early, didn't really play a good schedule, and their recent loss, a game in which they never should've lost, she was 5-21. I know one game doesn't make a NPOY, but if she doesn't bounce back, it won't be good for her chances.

Frankly, and I know I'm a UCONN fan-I really don't see how Paige doesn't win it, except that she's a freshman, she hasn't really paid her dues, and it would be a first. She can't win the Wade Trophy because freshman aren't eligible, but I don't understand how she doesn't win one of them.

The talent level in WBB this year is dominated by freshman and sophomores. I bet you if you polled every WNBA GM about the top ten prospects in college, and almost all of them would be a freshman or a sophomore.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I tend to agree. She had arguably her best game of the year in the biggest game of the year, and without a big sample size of marquee games for anyone, that might do it in this bizarre season.

Reaction Score
An interesting look at conference POY picks from ESPN, which plays into AA consideration a bit. These are just one person‘s opinion for each league.

ACC: Evans 1, Kitley 2
Big 10: Hillmon 1, Owusu 2
Big 12: Mack 1, Smith 2
PAC: McDonald 1, Jones 2
SEC: Boston 1, Howard 2

Clark was mentioned in the Big 10 write up as being edged out by Owusu, Collier and Joens were mentioned in the B12 and Dungee in the SEC. Some others were not mentioned at all that should be on the cusp in their leagues (and for AA): Onyenwere, Cunane, Gondrezick, spring to mind.

Reaction Score
An interesting look at conference POY picks from ESPN, which plays into AA consideration a bit. These are just one person‘s opinion for each league.

ACC: Evans 1, Kitley 2
Big 10: Hillmon 1, Owusu 2
Big 12: Mack 1, Smith 2
PAC: McDonald 1, Jones 2
SEC: Boston 1, Howard 2

Clark was mentioned in the Big 10 write up as being edged out by Owusu, Collier and Joens were mentioned in the B12 and Dungee in the SEC. Some others were not mentioned at all that should be on the cusp in their leagues (and for AA): Onyenwere, Cunane, Gondrezick, spring to mind.

It is surprising to me that Cunane wouldn’t be considered the #2 in the ACC, although Jones and Brown-Turner have been really good as well. May have been an issue of three good players on the same team dimming one another out. The plus side is that’s conducive to team success, which I’m sure they’d take.

Boston is my favorite player in the country but she’s had a number of low-scoring games for her to be the SEC frontrunner IMO. I suppose the next question is who else takes the lead? Kentucky has underachieved and Howard has not been the player I expected her to be. Arkansas is a bit too far down in the stack for Dungee to be in the mix. Maybe we should be looking at N’dea Jones more. SEC is a tough one for me.

Reaction Score
As much as they said it was a wide open race, I just don't really think it is. There are 2 players in contention, IMO-Bueckers and Evans, with Boston having an outside shot. Frankly, for a team that was picked #1, SC has too many losses for Boston to be the POY. Is she good enough to be? Sure. Does she deserve it? I don't know.

Evans has been great, but man, Louisville has looked shaky for weeks. I think they were vaulted to #1 early, didn't really play a good schedule, and their recent loss, a game in which they never should've lost, she was 5-21. I know one game doesn't make a NPOY, but if she doesn't bounce back, it won't be good for her chances.

Frankly, and I know I'm a UCONN fan-I really don't see how Paige doesn't win it, except that she's a freshman, she hasn't really paid her dues, and it would be a first. She can't win the Wade Trophy because freshman aren't eligible, but I don't understand how she doesn't win one of them.

The talent level in WBB this year is dominated by freshman and sophomores. I bet you if you polled every WNBA GM about the top ten prospects in college, and almost all of them would be a freshman or a sophomore.
One interesting note this season is how few balanced teams there are. Of the big dogs, UConn and Stanford seem to be thin at the forward/post spots, and South Carolina doesn’t have tremendous guard play. I would say A&M’s frontcourt situation is about equal to SC’s backcourt—decent, but not dominant, players. Jones is good but not the defensive presence (aside from her terrific rebounding) needed. I would say NC State is probably the most balanced roster of the top five, but outside of Perez there hasn’t been a ton of production from the guard positions.

Many of these young ladies will still be in the mix for all-conference honors, of course. I just mean that when you look at the national title picture, there doesn’t seem to be a team that is stacked across all five court positions. Oregon and South Carolina were that way last year; Notre Dame and Baylor were the year prior.

Interestingly enough, Baylor seems to have a pretty diverse roster of talent, but I can’t see Baylor as a legitimate title threat this year. I don’t think the chemistry, execution, and shooting is there. Certainly a top ten team, though.

Reaction Score
One interesting note this season is how few balanced teams there are. Of the big dogs, UConn and Stanford seem to be thin at the forward/post spots, and South Carolina doesn’t have tremendous guard play. I would say A&M’s frontcourt situation is about equal to SC’s backcourt—decent, but not dominant, players. Jones is good but not the defensive presence (aside from her terrific rebounding) needed. I would say NC State is probably the most balanced roster of the top five, but outside of Perez there hasn’t been a ton of production from the guard positions.

Many of these young ladies will still be in the mix for all-conference honors, of course. I just mean that when you look at the national title picture, there doesn’t seem to be a team that is stacked across all five court positions. Oregon and South Carolina were that way last year; Notre Dame and Baylor were the year prior.

Interestingly enough, Baylor seems to have a pretty diverse roster of talent, but I can’t see Baylor as a legitimate title threat this year. I don’t think the chemistry, execution, and shooting is there. Certainly a top ten team, though.
Baylor is a very good team who rebounds the ball well and plays excellent defense, but Didi Richards is not a PG. I think guard play, along with shooting will be hard for them in the postseason. They’re still VERYYYY dangerous though.

Reaction Score
I agree-I've watched her a few times and she is very good. And more importantly, a work horse.
Appreciate the replies! I don’t think Joens lives up to the constant and excessive hype poured on by announcers and analysts. That’s certainly not her fault, but they speak about her like she’s a generational player—yet Iowa State hasn’t really accomplished anything. They don’t have an elite roster or anything, and they need more post help, but the team isn’t bereft of talent with Joens, Scott, and Donarski, so I’m just not seeing it. She also scores a ridiculous chunk of her points at the free-throw line. You could definitely say that’s a skill — it’s not chance — but it’s not for me. She’s a first-team all-conference talent for sure, but that’s where it ends in my opinion.

I appreciate that the media anointment of Joens as B12 POY has quieted because both Mack and N. Smith have had better seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom