A Wake up Call | The Boneyard

A Wake up Call

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It was great meeting so many new Boneyarders yesterday. Now we can put faces to the screen names.

We learned alot yesterday. A terrific comeback with 2 AA's on the bench. I will keep it short and to the point without elaborating. There was to much that needs to be fixed. We played this game at times like a pick up game waiting for something to happen. Finally in the 4th qtr we took it over. That in itself is huge going down the road. It wasnt a loss that would teach us something but it was a game that couldve been a loss and it did teach us something.

Lack of hustle, lack of rebounding settling for 3 pointers instead of working the ball inside. Lack of boxing out, poor defense inside the 3 point line, mental breakdowns. Ok thats enuff. We all saw the game and those who taped it are probably watching over and over again. Lets see what happens at Depaul.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was great meeting so many new Boneyarders yesterday. Now we can put faces to the screen names.

We learned alot yesterday. A terrific comeback with 2 AA's on the bench. I will keep it short and to the point without elaborating. There was to much that needs to be fixed.

Lack of hustle, lack of rebounding settling for 3 pointers instead of working the ball inside. Lack of boxing out, poor defense inside the 3 point line, mental breakdowns. Ok thats enuff. We all saw the game and those who taped it are probably watching over and over again. Lets see what happens at Depaul.
You do know there is another team on the floor trying to win also? Not to mention the #3 team in the country.
Some of you are looking for the perfect game all the time. Never will happen.
Not satisfied even when they win by 30.
Yesterday's game is what should happen more often.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Sorry I didn't meet up with you guys but I think your comments Tony are right on. One play, in an otherwise good game, that Stevens had occurred right in front of us. She was trying to defend an Irish player driving to the basket. She got outworked and ended up turning her back to the ballhandler as if to defend her with her butt. Not a good choice and not effective. It happened in the second half and I'm going to have to watch the tape to see if there was some reason for this 'unusual' defensive move.

I commented during the game that there really did seem be be a lack of hustle - at least to the level we have seen before. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get my voice back soon enough - there is some benefit in sitting behind the visitor's bench :)

Oh, if by any chance the gentleman who sits behind me is on the boneyard. . . With 2 minutes to go, in a game like that, get used to standing.

Reaction Score
I found to my surprise that I agree with tonyc and huskybandDad at the same time. The game was exciting and sloppy at times. ND was the better team for 3/4 of the game but what a comeback in the 4th quarter by UConn. The crowd, student section, the game itself, we should have lots more games like this. Gino mentioned something about he loves the fight, reminded him of the good old days.

Reaction Score

We learned alot yesterday. A terrific comeback with 2 AA's on the bench. I will keep it short and to the point without elaborating. There was to much that needs to be fixed. We played this game at times like a pick up game waiting for something to happen. Finally in the 4th qtr we took it over. That in itself is huge going down the road. It wasnt a loss that would teach us something but it was a game that couldve been a loss and it did teach us something.

Lack of hustle on UConn's part or exceptional game planning and execution on ND's? In any case, game will likely be talked about for many years. Great win. My main concern continues to be UConn's inability to stop guards driving to basket for easy shot or pass for easy layup. Hurt us throughout last season, especially in NCAA loss. Other than that, not much to complain about. Not perfect all the time-just better over entire game than anyone else.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I walked into the arena telling my wife, that this was a game we could lose.
The game itself... a question of poise and execution.
ND had it in spades for most of the game...
Then, for some inexplicable reason (and fatigue and questionable shape of their bigs may very well be a reason)
Gave it up...Lilli's missed layup seemingly opened the door

UConn pounced.
And a complete reversal ensued
As I noted on the other thread...Did UConn win or ND lose?
Tough question.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think it was lack of hustle. I think it was lack of Gabby. She's the straw that stirs the drink. If she hadn't played at all, UConn would have been better off. But she heroically tried to play through her pain, and she had absolutely no energy or alertness out there. It rippled through the team. Of course, that doesn't explain the 3rd Q, when ND outscored UConn by a point. But that 3rd Q sort of steadied the boat, and Z and Megan gave UConn the energy in the 4th Q, IMHO.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was lack of hustle. I think it was lack of Gabby. She's the straw that stirs the drink. If she hadn't played at all, UConn would have been better off. But she heroically tried to play through her pain, and she had absolutely no energy or alertness out there. It rippled through the team. Of course, that doesn't explain the 3rd Q, when ND outscored UConn by a point. But that 3rd Q sort of steadied the boat, and Z and Megan gave UConn the energy in the 4th Q, IMHO.
"If she hadn't played at all, UCONN would have been better off." Better off without her 5 first-half rebounds and team-leading 5 assists? Who would have taken her place? Z for 40 minutes? Does she have the stamina? Would she have avoided picking up her fifth foul?

Reaction Score
"If she hadn't played at all, UCONN would have been better off." Better off without her 5 first-half rebounds and team-leading 5 assists? Who would have taken her place? Z for 40 minutes? Does she have the stamina? Would she have avoided picking up her fifth foul?
Megan.

Know that I'm certainly not "blaming" Gabby. I think she was heroic and did what she should have: she tried to play. I only mean that, retrospectively, the team might have gained homeostasis earlier.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno was very candid in the post-game interview about the team's performance. He said there are, as we saw, two teams. The not totally together, often sloppy or careless team of the first three quarters and the aggressive, confident and dominating team of the 4th quarter. Gabby mentioned after the Nevada game, I believe, that the team has a tendency to turn it on and off and that was a problem that has to be fixed.

His goal is to get more of the 4th quarter team and a lot less of the other. So now we all know that this team is a work in progress. Remember, the ultimate goal is a national championship.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno was very candid in the post-game interview about the team's performance. He said there are, as we saw, two teams. The not totally together, often sloppy or careless team of the first three quarters and the aggressive, confident and dominating team of the 4th quarter. Gabby mentioned after the Nevada game, I believe, that the team has a tendency to turn it on and off and that was a problem that has to be fixed.

His goal is to get more of the 4th quarter team and a lot less of the other. So now we all know that this team is a work in progress. Remember, the ultimate goal is a national championship.
Enjoyed all the comments in this thread. Found myself agreeing with what everyone said, even opposing viewpoints.

All the credit to ND for taking it to UCONN for at least half the game. ND led by as many as 12 and led for over 25 minutes. I want to address all the folks who pooh-poohed the worry warts who noted UCONN's lackluster performances against inferior opponents this season. We got to see that front and center vs. ND.

ND is a great team and credit to them for outplaying us for long stretches making what we normally do impossible to execute. While we didn't play great, they had a lot to do with it. Then credit to UCONN for completely taking over the 4th quarter. ND settled, as several ND posters mentioned, but a lot of that had to do with UCONN. Suddenly WE were getting all the 50-50 balls and we were making the hustle plays.

We know Geno strives for perfection. The team play in the 4th quarter should be the goal for the team every quarter of every game. Of course the team is not a group of machines. They cannot play like that 24-7. But it's NOT wrong for fans to point out sub-par performances within the bounds of what's allowed for critiquing the team. Let's be honest - it was an ugly game for the long stretch when ND went on their run. Then it was a lovely game in the 4th quarter.

The 2 best things about the game - first, we won. Second, Geno can point to every single player and say "while you had some great moments, you also had some crap moments. Let's figure out how to make the great moments happen a majority of the time you are on the court".

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Enjoyed all the comments in this thread. Found myself agreeing with what everyone said, even opposing viewpoints.

All the credit to ND for taking it to UCONN for at least half the game. ND led by as many as 12 and led for over 25 minutes. I want to address all the folks who pooh-poohed the worry warts who noted UCONN's lackluster performances against inferior opponents this season. We got to see that front and center vs. ND.

ND is a great team and credit to them for outplaying us for long stretches making what we normally do impossible to execute. While we didn't play great, they had a lot to do with it. Then credit to UCONN for completely taking over the 4th quarter. ND settled, as several ND posters mentioned, but a lot of that had to do with UCONN. Suddenly WE were getting all the 50-50 balls and we were making the hustle plays.

We know Geno strives for perfection. The team play in the 4th quarter should be the goal for the team every quarter of every game. Of course the team is not a group of machines. They cannot play like that 24-7. But it's NOT wrong for fans to point out sub-par performances within the bounds of what's allowed for critiquing the team. Let's be honest - it was an ugly game for the long stretch when ND went on their run. Then it was a lovely game in the 4th quarter.

The 2 best things about the game - first, we won. Second, Geno can point to every single player and say "while you had some great moments, you also had some crap moments. Let's figure out how to make the great moments
happen a majority of the time you are on the court".

Eric - not disagreeing with you at all. Just pointing out that Geno knows this team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A lack of Gabby and of Kia. When Kia sat with the two fouls in the first half, the offense went completely off the rails. One of the two, and preferably both, need to be on the court for a smooth running offense.

Having said that, they probably would have been OK if the opponent had been anyone other than ND. ND is just too good and all teams, including UConn, need to be on top of their game to have a chance against them

Reaction Score
A lack of Gabby and of Kia. When Kia sat with the two fouls in the first half, the offense went completely off the rails. One of the two, and preferably both, need to be on the court for a smooth running offense.

Having said that, they probably would have been OK if the opponent had been anyone other than ND. ND is just too good and all teams, including UConn, need to be on top of their game to have a chance against them

Agree re Kia. She did not sit for long. It got sloppy real fast, and Geno put her back in despite the fouls. Crystal is great at organizing the offense, but that is not the same thing as setting the team. Kia is a bit like Morgan Tuck; she plays the role of "mom" on the floor. She and Morgan have completely different personalities, skill sets, etc., but similar function.

Reaction Score
I have a different perspective. Yes, many of the posters gave great reasons and insights for the up and down game. In fact, I agree with most of them. IMHO it is more about how Geno sees this team, what his usual goal is (Nat'l Champs), and what he decides is the best method to get there.
Let me ask you. What is UConn's best defense? I believe most would say (including me) that the zone defense with great switch help is the best defense. Isn't that what UConn played in the last quarter?
Why did UConn play man D against the smartest team in WBB (after UConn)? IMHO Geno wanted to test the team and to show them that they can be beat. UConn's aggressive. overplayed defense is ripe for the Back Door play--Notre Dame's forte. Just like in practice when he plays 6 on 5 or 4 on 3, Geno loves to challenge the team and see how they respond. His team won so many in a row that it doesn't matter anymore. Lou was still hurt, Gabby was out---so let's see how this goes. Play man D. UConn is not the best man D in the nation. They are hardly above average.
AS Lou said, "this team turns it on and off." Geno hates that and likes to put them in rough spots to teach them a lesson. IMHO Geno was surprised (of course, very pleased) that the team pulled out the win by FIGHTING FOR IT. If it comes too easy many can become complacent.
Geno sees the tremendous talent. He wants another title. The team is not there yet and he has to figure out ways to get them there. There are so few games where UConn can be put in to these situations. Final point - the 10 day trip and 3 games in 5 days ending with UCLA was a big test too. Geno said before the UCLA game--"I want to see how they handle this."
Big picture--Geno's unique style. But what do I Know.

Reaction Score
That's right on. Gabby is a one-man disruption squad for the opponent's offense. If Gabby misses any period of time, it will be a big challenge for UConn to overcome. If Gabby were at full strength for ND, this game would not have been the nail-biter it was. So, I find UConn's 4th quarter comeback truly amazing. For this team to do that with two starters on the bench, wow! There is no way UConn could have done this last year. The 6th and 7th spots in this year's rotation are fantastic. Still, we need Gabby for the battles ahead. Get well, Gabby.

Reaction Score

\

It was great to NOT learn from a LOSS! Much more to learn from a close game. The second highlighted comment--my comment is ND had a lot to do with that. They learned from looking at the tapes of 3 games last year, Tulane, Miss St, on other that misses my memory at the moment. They took long range 3's and spread the defense, then hit the boards hard--for the first 3 quarters ND owned the rebounds. Last quarter Geno saw what I and others saw --the Zone used by Uconn was a full of holes with the "help" defense. Fix, Z and Walker rarely left the lines of the foul line--stay close, rebound. Z finally used her height to score. If all that had been used last April---who knows--of course Z's presence didn't hurt at all..

Reaction Score
I have a different perspective. Yes, many of the posters gave great reasons and insights for the up and down game. In fact, I agree with most of them. IMHO it is more about how Geno sees this team, what his usual goal is (Nat'l Champs), and what he decides is the best method to get there.
Let me ask you. What is UConn's best defense? I believe most would say (including me) that the zone defense with great switch help is the best defense. Isn't that what UConn played in the last quarter?
Why did UConn play man D against the smartest team in WBB (after UConn)? IMHO Geno wanted to test the team and to show them that they can be beat. UConn's aggressive. overplayed defense is ripe for the Back Door play--Notre Dame's forte. Just like in practice when he plays 6 on 5 or 4 on 3, Geno loves to challenge the team and see how they respond. His team won so many in a row that it doesn't matter anymore. Lou was still hurt, Gabby was out---so let's see how this goes. Play man D. UConn is not the best man D in the nation. They are hardly above average.
AS Lou said, "this team turns it on and off." Geno hates that and likes to put them in rough spots to teach them a lesson. IMHO Geno was surprised (of course, very pleased) that the team pulled out the win by FIGHTING FOR IT. If it comes too easy many can become complacent.
Geno sees the tremendous talent. He wants another title. The team is not there yet and he has to figure out ways to get them there. There are so few games where UConn can be put in to these situations. Final point - the 10 day trip and 3 games in 5 days ending with UCLA was a big test too. Geno said before the UCLA game--"I want to see how they handle this."
This is a brilliant analysis, PhillyCoach, and I wish it were true, that Geno did it just to test his team. I dunno. Sounds too clever by half. Sounds like that SNL skit where the crazy loyal Chicago fans are wondering why Mike Ditka is intentionally letting "Da Bears" lose that year: what exactly is his strategy?

Reaction Score
Megan.

Know that I'm certainly not "blaming" Gabby. I think she was heroic and did what she should have: she tried to play. I only mean that, retrospectively, the team might have gained homeostasis earlier.
Yes, Megan could very well be the answer to the absence of Gabby short-term, but then our 7-man rotation become a 6-man rotation, and depth once again become a nagging question. Let's raise the totem poles and dance the fire dance against the migraine demons. We need Gabby.

Reaction Score
That's right on. Gabby is a one-man disruption squad for the opponent's offense. If Gabby misses any period of time, it will be a big challenge for UConn to overcome. If Gabby were at full strength for ND, this game would not have been the nail-biter it was. So, I find UConn's 4th quarter comeback truly amazing. For this team to do that with two starters on the bench, wow! There is no way UConn could have done this last year. The 6th and 7th spots in this year's rotation are fantastic. Still, we need Gabby for the battles ahead. Get well, Gabby.

If all work as hopee/expected Gabby will be back full time as GABBY. I agree Z and Walker are exceptional, both are learning. I expect great rewards from those two by February. Don't sell Gabby short and you are not, no 5'11 or 6'1 or2 can rebound or get up as high to do so as Gabby does. In Rebounding against ND, she was missed terribly. Gabby isn't just rebounding, --she's a great passer, the best team defender, steals -creating fast breaks, the need for leadership.
I concur with your wishes, and get well comment--

Reaction Score
Defense was not good. ND took advantage of mismatches on switches...CD can't be defending Shepard on the block! Many cuts that UConn defenders just lost their man, leading to easy baskets. Most bothersome...UConn allowed ND to dictate tempo. Mabry is far from the prototype PG...not very quick and not a great handle. There is much work ahead for this team and much improvement needed to win a NC. Looking ahead ND will be very good next year!

Reaction Score
I hope it was a wake up call for Geno on when to call a timeout.

I convinced my wife to finally watch a UConn game. (She loves Men's College Basketball. Watches more than me.). When ND scored 10 or 12 points in a row to go up 4, she looked over at me and said, "Is he ever going to call a timeout?" I didn't have an answer for her. Muffet used timeouts to stop UConn's momentum twice. The men's coaches do it all of the time. I thought back to the Miss St game. I don't recall him calling a timeout when Miss St was running their lead up to 16 early.

There is no doubt in my mind that Geno is the best "prepare for game day" coach, but I have a lot of doubt that he is actually the best in-game coach. To his credit, he hasn't had to do it much lately. What is his record when the game is decided by 5 points or less? I know his OT record is not good.

Reaction Score

Coach not heard from you in a while. Missed your posts.
I can disagree with you, as much as I don't like to, you are rarely less than insightful. In the first 3 quarters I don't think he used much Man to man, but his patented Zone with help defense. To me what changed the trajectory of the game was the lack of down low help defense, Z and Walker didn't stray far from the basket to help--no holes for ND's bigs or almost bigs. Lilli Thompson insulted that defense a couple of times and scored, but Uconn rebounded much more successfully by Z and Walker concentrating on the rebound and the three up front taking care of the shooters and attackers. Less 3's were allowed, a few jumpers made points, but Uconn stopped the bleeding.
I usually tend to look for Geno's "tell" in close game, he tends to put his index finger across his lips when he fears a loss (IMO), at no time did he do that. Obuiously, he kept his players in until the bitter end, or nearly, --you got yourself in this fix, now fix it?? Maybe.
I agree this team is not the best Man to Man defensive team, so Geno uses a semi-zone help style--you are better suited to name it than I.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom