A Very Disappointed Loyal Fan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Very Disappointed Loyal Fan

Reaction Score
In the midwest I’ve seen about half on uverse level 2.

Reaction Score
I have to ask, a real loyal fan would search and seek out the solution to be able to view UConn games. If you currently have a "cable" company (ie, Comcast, Cox...etc), does it provide an add-on sports package (at additional cost) that includes SNY? ...if not then it's time to start looking into "live TV streaming services" that do carry SNY and also have the ESPN's family of channels/networks. (ie, YouTubeTV, Sling...etc) and dump your "cable" company. Funny thing, YouTube TV just added CPTV and WGBY (both public channels)

Reaction Score
Directv Sports Pak will give you access to SNY programming. I can also get some regional Fox Sports channels as well as The Longhorn channel. No PAC12 or SECN. Cost = $13.99 per month. Somehow I got a promo = 3 months free. Will cancel SP after NCAAT.

Reaction Score
So if CPTV won back broadcast rights (how would Public Television even be able to do that???), then that would make it even more "locals only" than SNY. Hmm.
What I don't understand is why people that have access to SNY have UConn games blacked out. Makes absolutely no sense to me.
When I moved away from CT I had to pay CPTV to stream their games (and was happy to do so). Now I stream SNY games for "free" (free beyond the portion of my cable bill going to ESPN). I joined ESPN+ so I could get the Dayton game. That, and buying FloHoops for the 2018 Paradise Jam are the only "extra" I've paid since the CPTV days.

Reaction Score
So if CPTV won back broadcast rights (how would Public Television even be able to do that???), then that would make it even more "locals only" than SNY. Hmm.
What I don't understand is why people that have access to SNY have UConn games blacked out. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Last night I went to the Syracuse/Florida State game. For those that don't know, I'm a National Flag Blue bleeding UCONN fans who owns a restaurant/bar in downtown Syracuse and I live here(Two Florida State assistant coaches came in the night before the game and we talked-great dudes), but that's for another day.

Anyway-I watched the first half of our game and then left and drove to the dome(I live like 5 minutes from it). When I got in my seat, I attempted to watch the second half of our game on Watch ESPN on my phone, but it was blacked out. I think this is because if SNY carries it and you love in their coverage area, they want to make sure you buy a cable package that includes that. I mean, that would be my guess. Because if I could watch it on Watch ESPN, I wouldn't have to pay for SNY. Makes sense to me, from a business perspective.

During the Oregon/Syracuse game, I could watch the 2nd half of our game against Ohio State on my phone because the game was on the ESPN family of networks.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Florida resident. I have directv and I can get SNY if I purchase the most expensive package and add Sport package. A bump of $35 a month. Or I can purchase ESPN+ for about $5. Only disadvantage is no recording so I have to be home and at the TV on time for the start.
Don’t pay for replays - they’re free at this link. A reminder to all that the link to Husky Games is permanently linked in the rules post tacked to the top of the board

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Last night I went to the Syracuse/Florida State game. For those that don't know, I'm a National Flag Blue bleeding UCONN fans who owns a restaurant/bar in downtown Syracuse and I live here(Two Florida State assistant coaches came in the night before the game and we talked-great dudes), but that's for another day.

Anyway-I watched the first half of our game and then left and drove to the dome(I live like 5 minutes from it). When I got in my seat, I attempted to watch the second half of our game on Watch ESPN on my phone, but it was blacked out. I think this is because if SNY carries it and you love in their coverage area, they want to make sure you buy a cable package that includes that. I mean, that would be my guess. Because if I could watch it on Watch ESPN, I wouldn't have to pay for SNY. Makes sense to me, from a business perspective.

During the Oregon/Syracuse game, I could watch the 2nd half of our game against Ohio State on my phone because the game was on the ESPN family of networks.
It was my understanding that if you have SNY that you can only stream SNY using the NBCSports app.
If you don't have SNY, then it will be streamed via ESPN3/WatchESPN.

Reaction Score
I have another Off Topic dumb question...has anyone figured out if there's a way to pause, rewind or fast forward an ESPN3 game being streamed/viewed on a TV?
Personally I use a ROKU stick and the remote apparently can't control what it is streaming on the ESPN app other than exiting what I am currently viewing.

Only when viewed as a replay

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Directv Sports Pak will give you access to SNY programming. I can also get some regional Fox Sports channels as well as The Longhorn channel. No PAC12 or SECN. Cost = $13.99 per month. Somehow I got a promo = 3 months free. Will cancel SP after NCAAT.
odd - my sports pack gets both SEC and ACC networks. As you say, no Pac12 which kills us. But for us - the big selling point is NFL Sunday Ticket - we watch a lot of TV sports and love the options of watching our Giants every week, even if we bail on them some weeks. Like the option of watching the most interesting game in general, which is not always the one on broadcast TV.

Reaction Score
As with most of "TV", streaming seems to be the way to go to get the most entertainment that you want.

Dumb question, @Fraz , what specifically is CPTV? A local TV station in CT?
Yes and all the games were televised

Reaction Score
Well to all the streamers out there who replied.....of course you see the games by paying for streaming...I'm talking about locally televised . In CT there should be a station that is local and shows Uconn basketball....point blank

Reaction Score
Well to all the streamers out there who replied.....of course you see the games by paying for streaming...I'm talking about locally televised . In CT there should be a station that is local and shows Uconn basketball....point blank

Why should there be? What if a supporter of UConn's orchestra insists that a local station should give free coverage of all their performances, would you agree with that? Or if a fan of curling thinks there should be a local station that gives free broadcasts of curling matches, would you support that also?

Reaction Score
Locals should buy a ticket and go to the games. Or be happy with streaming at a very small fraction of that cost. Point blank. :cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I live in Los Angeles (NOT Beverly Hills), and have ATT Uverse. I get CBS sports, Fox sports, SEC, Longhorn, Big10, SNY, etc. The only channel i can't seem to get is the PAC-12 network. At any rate, I have to PAY (gasp!!) an extra $10 per month for the sports package that gives me SNY. But I happily pay it so I can see most of the games.

I realize some fans physically can't get to games. My dad is 83 and has congestive heart failure, but he has season tickets with his wife and they make all the games they can. I actually travel back to CT either for the conference tourney (soon to be BET), or the regionals when they are in Bridgeport.

But if a fan is THAT grumpy that a game is not televised for them, and they are physically able, get a game day ticket. It will be a nice night out. And you get to see the greatest program in the history of the game live and in person!!

Side note - I generally reserve that kind of extreme disappointment for my monthly losing lotto ticket, not for missing a game on TV in a 30+ game season...

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Well isn't ESPN in CT and therefore local? :rolleyes:
Plus, how many people in CT only have "over the air" access to television nowadays and therefore have free tv? I think that this is what you are asking for but I really have no clue what the answer to my question is.
Ever since 1995, when I lived in the DC burbs and now in NC, I have not had access to over the air tv and was dependent on satellite TV until we finally got high speed fiber optic internet two years ago and then ditched the satellite this summer.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
So when WE dominated for years we are all over TV,,,, Now a Loyal Fan can see a game .... UCONN should be a shame!!!! Why dont the resident of CT have access to watch the games.....Please bring CPTV back..!!!!!!
Give in to The Man and get cable.

Reaction Score
I'm in Northern Vt and am blacked out....insane.
(Can see replay though).
I’m in a tiny carved out area of NH that got lumped in with bordering VT, and I’m blacked out of all UCONN ESPN3 games on TV. If I go on my laptop to get ESPN3, it asks for details of my TV provider. When I enter it, I get the blackout message.
I have YouTubeTV, Apple TV and Roku, and there is also no way I can get SNY because of my location. I’ve even emailed SNY for help. They say I’m out of luck unless I get DirectTV premium sports package, which I don’t want.
How does ESPN3 determine who should be blacked out, and why? I’ve thought perhaps it’s because of a deal with SNY, so SNY won’t lose subscribers. But if one is unable to get SNY - like me - what sense does it make?
I used to get SNY on Xfinity cable, but they dropped it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
ny09
I’m in a tiny carved out area of NH that got lumped in with bordering VT, and I’m blacked out of all UCONN ESPN3 games on TV.

My provider (Charter) doesn't even have SNY
but when we're in town (NY) SNY is part of our plan (also Charter).
We just enjoy being in snow country for the winter.
So it's UConn radio network for us and free replays on ESPN.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I’m in a tiny carved out area of NH that got lumped in with bordering VT, and I’m blacked out of all UCONN ESPN3 games on TV. If I go on my laptop to get ESPN3, it asks for details of my TV provider. When I enter it, I get the blackout message.
I have YouTubeTV, Apple TV and Roku, and there is also no way I can get SNY because of my location. I’ve even emailed SNY for help. They say I’m out of luck unless I get DirectTV premium sports package, which I don’t want.
How does ESPN3 determine who should be blacked out, and why? I’ve thought perhaps it’s because of a deal with SNY, so SNY won’t lose subscribers. But if one is unable to get SNY - like me - what sense does it make?
I used to get SNY on Xfinity cable, but they dropped it.
I have mentioned this before without any feedback from the BYers that know just about everything.
Why would any college basketball game, let alone a WBB game, be blacked out?
I always thought that professional sports were blacked out in the local areas because the owners wanted the fans to be in the stands instead of in their easy chairs, thus filling their pockets. That is why sold out games are not blacked out. But nowadays, games are not blacked out in all cases. For instance, I live in NC and my home MLB teams for DirecTV was the Orioles, the Nats and the Braves. For YouTubeTV, the Braves and the Reds. Yet all their games are on Fox Sports even without a sellout. Yet for WBB, SNY and ESPN will blackout UConn games.
But college is different, there are no team owners. So what is up with that????

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
there are no team owners. So what is up with that????

Beats the crap out of me.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have mentioned this before without any feedback from the BYers that know just about everything.
I always thought that professional sports were blacked out in the local areas because the owners wanted the fans to be in the stands instead of in their easy chairs, thus filling their pockets. That is why sold out games are not blacked out. But nowadays, games are not blacked out in all cases. For instance, I live in NC and my home MLB teams for DirecTV was the Orioles, the Nats and the Braves. For YouTubeTV, the Braves and the Reds. Yet all their games are on Fox Sports even without a sellout. Yet for WBB, SNY and ESPN will blackout UConn games.
I am not aware that either ESPN or SNY ever refused to make UConn WBB games available to cable or satellite viewers who had subscribed to their service. But I believe they have refused to stream games to the general public in areas where ESPN or SNY subscriptions are available.

That is understandable to me as a business decision. Why would anyone subscribe to their services if the programs that they want to watch are available through free streaming?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I always thought that professional sports were blacked out in the local areas because the owners wanted the fans to be in the stands instead of in their easy chairs, thus filling their pockets.

Yet for WBB, SNY and ESPN will blackout UConn games.

It's still all about money. In this case it's the broadcast organizations using their rights to broadcast material to make money. If you are in what has been determined to be SNY's broadcast and they own the rights to that game, they will not allow another party to broadcast the material. Why? Well if you are in Connecticut (a SNY broadcast area) and you have a cable service that carries SNY then you can watch on SNY. SNY has entered a contract with that carrier (e.g. Comcast) and SNY receives money. If SNY allowed a third party to show the game (e.g. ESPN3) there wouldn't be any incentive for you to want to push Comcast to broadcast SNY on their system. So you are a pawn in this game. If customers push a company like Comcast to carry SNY, they make more money so SNY needs to protect it's rights and thus make you , the consumer demand SNY be carried on their cable system.

So, it makes perfect sense that in certain areas, the games are blacked out on "alternate" services.

O.K. on edit I see that Joepgh said pretty much the same thing with a lot less words...:)

Reaction Score
I am not aware that either ESPN or SNY ever refused to make UConn WBB games available to cable or satellite viewers who had subscribed to their service. But I believe they have refused to stream games to the general public in areas where ESPN or SNY subscriptions are available.

REPLY by nhHusky-
Incorrect. I have a subscription to ESPN, and get all ESPN3 broadcasts EXCEPT for Uconn games, which are blacked out. A couple of years ago Comcast/Xfinity dropped SNY here. SNY is not available here on the NBCSports app no matter who your TV provider is - whether cable or streaming. SNY is not available in my area through any of the streaming outfits like Hulu, YouTubeTV, Sling, etc. SNY confirmed this when I contacted them. SNY does not offer direct streaming. Another BYer, who said he was from Northern Vermont, is apparently in the same predicament.
Actually I received a solicitation from Direct TV in the mail today - and it did not specifically list SNY either - on any of the packages (200+ channels listed). But their premium sports package is $94 mo. so even if they did include SNY, that would not be a practical solution.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Incorrect. I have a subscription to ESPN, and get all ESPN3 broadcasts EXCEPT for Uconn games, which are blacked out. A couple of years ago Comcast/Xfinity dropped SNY here. SNY is not available here on the NBCSports app no matter who your TV provider is - whether cable or streaming. SNY is not available in my area through any of the streaming outfits like Hulu, YouTubeTV, Sling, etc. SNY confirmed this when I contacted them. SNY does not offer direct streaming. Another BYer, who said he was from Northern Vermont, is apparently in the same predicament.
Actually I received a solicitation from Direct TV in the mail today - and it did not specifically list SNY either - on any of the packages (200+ channels listed). But their premium sports package is $94 mo. so even if they did include SNY, that would not be a practical solution.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom