A Very Disappointed Loyal Fan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A Very Disappointed Loyal Fan

Reaction Score
What I know for sure is the situation continues to get more confusing for those of us who are not simply getting a direct broadcast. After years of dealing with Comcast's arrogance we dropped our cable. In order to guarantee that we could get the channels we wanted, including ESPN3, we had to buy YouTube TV (I'm told we could have bought Sling instead). But none of it is simple, for sure.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Incorrect. I have a subscription to ESPN, and get all ESPN3 broadcasts EXCEPT for Uconn games, which are blacked out. A couple of years ago Comcast/Xfinity dropped SNY here. SNY is not available here on the NBCSports app no matter who your TV provider is - whether cable or streaming. SNY is not available in my area through any of the streaming outfits like Hulu, YouTubeTV, Sling, etc. SNY confirmed this when I contacted them. SNY does not offer direct streaming. Another BYer, who said he was from Northern Vermont, is apparently in the same predicament.
Actually I received a solicitation from Direct TV in the mail today - and it did not specifically list SNY either - on any of the packages (200+ channels listed). But their premium sports package is $94 mo. so even if they did include SNY, that would not be a practical solution.
Until this summer I had DirecTV (in NC) and finally got rid of it once we had high speed fiber optic internet. I was able to get SNY as part of a $9 or $10 monthly Sports package. But the cost of the TV Package (not the highest priced tier), HD, 4K, and multiple DVR Receivers brought a total price that became too outrageous so we cut the cord and now stream.

Reaction Score
I believe Cable companies are going to soon realize that they will have to give their subscribers more leeway in respect to the packages they make available to them. I dropped them long ago. They made me take one of their top packages with stations I never watched in order to get access to the spots package I wanted. As more and more subscribers begin to drop them they will be forced to change.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
What I know for sure is the situation continues to get more confusing for those of us who are not simply getting a direct broadcast. After years of dealing with Comcast's arrogance we dropped our cable. In order to guarantee that we could get the channels we wanted, including ESPN3, we had to buy YouTube TV (I'm told we could have bought Sling instead). But none of it is simple, for sure.

We dropped Comcast (after probably 40 years), tired of their arrogance and exorbitant cost. We went from $270 a month (Comcast) to $120 a month (Comcast ISP and YouTube TV streaming) without a noticeable difference in the programming that we watch.

Reaction Score
We dropped Comcast (after probably 40 years), tired of their arrogance and exorbitant cost. We went from $270 a month (Comcast) to $120 a month (Comcast ISP and YouTube TV streaming) without a noticeable difference in the programming that we watch.
Sounds like us. We were paying $140 a month for internet and cable and watching only maybe 7 channels. We asked what they would charge for internet only and they said $104. We asked what they would charge for TV only and they said $110. I get the idea of bundling, but to treat longtime customers like that is just, well, arrogant. So we went with AT&T internet at $50 a month and YouTube TV for $54. It's not a huge savings, but we get more than the channels we want (we have the FireStick as well, so a bunch of other mostly useless channels) and we don't feel gouged by Comcast. Huge improvement psychologically, if not financially.

Reaction Score
In a sense the Uconn Women's basketball program is a victim of it's own success. I will be the first to admit how much I enjoyed them on CPTV. Even with the long commercials it was free, the broadcasting team was knowledgeable, and the camera work was handled very well. But with success comes opportunity and the school cannot bypass the millions that networks like SNY and ESPN bring to the program and to the school. And for what it costs a couple to go out to dinner and a movie these days you can pay for three or four months of the sports channels on cable (and have your snacks right in your own chair).

Reaction Score
There is always a way to watch what you want cheaply using streaming (where the biggest cost is the internet service. Sometimes you just have to investigate harder.

Reaction Score
One other thought. Most of us at one time or another have cut or looked to cut our content out of our Internet provider package. Usually they make offers to get us to stay. My wife was very smart the last time we did this, negotiating for SNY (UConn basketball), Red Sox, and various football channels versus lower costs. Has worked about 50% of the time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom