A UConn Guide to the Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A UConn Guide to the Big East

Reaction Score
The Big East has 6 of its first 8 members.

Boston College? No real history there. Butler is way better and went to 2 finals in a row. BC is squat.

Cuse? We all love to hate Cuse. The Big East is better with Cuse, so that's a loss.

We aren't so different than the glory days of the 80s Big East, except that UConn and Nova are established blue blood champions with multiple titles.

Pitt? Pitt. Never went to a Final Four as a Big East member (thanks Scottie Reynolds) and, like BC, has sucked in the ACC.

Marqutte is solid. Xaxier, Creighton, and Butler have rabid fans (wait till you see Creighton fans in NYC!).

DePaul pads all of our wins.

The Big East is essentially the Big East. Some frauds have come and gone, but the core of the Big East is strong, and only stronger this week.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Those days are over as well my friend. The Garden has returned to a sea of red. But still looking forward to seeing the blue and white on the floor.
Remember when Satan ran ticketgate so UConn fans couldn't get tickets until like 15 minutes before tip-off? At least that's the way I remember it.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Does FS1 have any better winter product than Big East basketball? It’s pretty much their flagship winter programming right?

Reaction Score
The only concern I have with fox and maybe I’m misremembering but did I watch a few games last year in standard def?
The only concern I have with fox and maybe I’m misremembering but did I watch a few games last year in standard def?
You're as irrelevant now as when we left.
Irrelevant? You were in the AAC! And not even that good there.

VCE

Reaction Score
Does FS1 have any better winter product than Big East basketball? It’s pretty much their flagship winter programming right?

No, but they do have half of the B1G, pac12 and big12 b-ball rights.

Reaction Score
I also love the FOX/FS1 coverage. Great TV crews and studio shows....

Bill Raftery...Len Elmore...
Can’t wait to hear Raff call our games again!

But I only want to hear Len with Mike Patrick...and I never want to hear Mike Patrick again.

Reaction Score
Added FS1 to my channel favorites. It’s a little early but I want to be ready.
Should have been already if you like all sports. MLB/MLB Playoffs. World Cup Soccer, US Open Golf, College Football from the Big Ten, Big 12 & Pac-12, Nascar, NHRA, PBA Bowling, PBC Boxing to just some sports on FS1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, but they do have half of the B1G, pac12 and big12 b-ball rights.
FS1 has Big 12 football, NOT men's basketball. FS1 does have Big 12 women's basketball.

40 Big Ten games and 22 Pac-12 men's basketball games on FS1. I would think many UCONN women's games will be on FS1/FS2.

VCE

Reaction Score
FS1 has Big 12 football, NOT men's basketball. FS1 does have Big 12 women's basketball.

40 Big Ten games and 22 Pac-12 men's basketball games on FS1. I would think many UCONN women's games will be on FS1/FS2.

Yep, my bad. I thought they carried b12 mbb. The point still stands that it’s not just the BE on fox

Reaction Score

Boston College? No real history there. Butler is way better and went to 2 finals in a row. BC is squat.

Cuse? We all love to hate Cuse. The Big East is better with Cuse, so that's a loss.

We aren't so different than the glory days of the 80s Big East, except that UConn and Nova are established blue blood champions with multiple titles.

Pitt? Pitt. Never went to a Final Four as a Big East member (thanks Scottie Reynolds) and, like BC, has sucked in the ACC.

Marqutte is solid. Xaxier, Creighton, and Butler have rabid fans (wait till you see Creighton fans in NYC!).

The Big East is essentially the Big East. Some frauds have come and gone, but the core of the Big East is strong, and only stronger this week.

View attachment 44218
Villanova and Pitt were not original members

Reaction Score
I also love the FOX/FS1 coverage. Great TV crews and studio shows. Gus Johnson, Tim Brando; voice of the Los Angeles Dodgers and FOX College Football announcer Joe Davis; FOX MLB host and NFL broadcaster Kevin Burkhardt; FOX Sports announcer Justin Kutcher; Milwaukee Brewers and national MLB commentator Brian Anderson; FOX College Football and boxing’s Brian Custer; BTN’s Kevin Kugler; and more. New last season was Dave O’Brien; BTN host Dave Revsine.

Bill Raftery, Jim Jackson, Donny Marshall, Steve Lavin, Len Elmore. Other former players Nick Bahe (Creighton), Stephen Bardo (Illinois), Stephen Howard (DePaul), Casey Jacobsen (Stanford), Dickey Simpkins (Providence), Jim Spanarkel (Duke) and Tarik Turner (St. John’s); Doug Gottlieb; YES Network, Brooklyn Nets analyst and FOX Sports contributor Sarah Kustok; former NCAA assistant coach Vin Parise.

Studio, Rob Stone returns as FOX Sports’ lead college basketball host, joined by Jackson, Jacobsen, Marshall and Lavin throughout the season. Burkhardt, Mike Hill are joined by Bahe, Gottlieb and Andy Katz join the studio analyst rotation during the year. Evan Daniels is FOX Sports college basketball insider, and Howie Schwab reprises his role as the network’s bracketologist.
1) Getting Bill Raftery back is low key one of the top 5 things about this move!

2) Did you say Dickie Simpkins?? “HOT LIKE FIRE ”....he is so historically bad it’s fun!

3) A lot of great announcers in there, really like Brian Anderson and many others.

This is so fun on so many levels, beyond dropping the Tulane, ECU, & Tulsas of the world. Can’t wait to go the Big East tourney for the first time!

Reaction Score
Yep, my bad. I thought they carried b12 mbb. The point still stands that it’s not just the BE on fox
correct!
Big Ten heavy on Monday's and Friday's
Pac-12 usually on Thursdays
Big East Tuesday's and Wednesday's.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

View attachment 44218

I forgot how often Pitt choked in the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
Technically we are not back. This is the first time since the formation of the original Big East UConn has changed leagues. This league doesn't excite me as much. Games against Creighton, Butler and Xavier don't and won't have the same buzz as games against Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt did. It's not the same and will never be the same.
It won’t be the same, no. But the fans of those other non-original BE will surprise you. Creighton is a greats sports town, yes in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. I’m lucky enough to travel for work. In the same season, I saw UConn play in Houston, then Xavier play @ Creighton. Small sample size, but the fans @ Creighton filled their professional style stadium. Houston fans could barely fill the lower part of their bowl. And the student section was pitiful! It won’t be like playing the old BE teams, but it will be more fun than traveling to Tulane or ECU for games in makeshift arenas with 6 fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom