A UConn Guide to the Big East | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A UConn Guide to the Big East

Reaction Score
And a final reminder... WE HATE CREIGHTON WITH ALL OUR HEARTS
We have to learn something about Creighton before we can hate them. Let's face it they're a relative unknown.

Reaction Score
Georgetown was the dark side back in the day. Pinkney was a beast. #34 had to battle many in those days.

Reaction Score
Opinions differ, but Marquette, Creighton, Nova, and Xavier are generally regarded as the better fan bases in the Big East.

St John’s and Georgetown have the potential to rebound, but have been down.

UConn has also been down, but we expect a Big East boost to UConn (and Hurley).

Where will UConn rank in the Big East fan bases?

Reaction Score
Opinions differ, but Marquette, Creighton, Nova, and Xavier are generally regarded as the better fan bases in the Big East.

Uconn will not like any of them.

Reaction Score

UConn will instantly be the largest fan base, by far, simply because of the nature of it being a state school

Reaction Score
UConn will instantly be the largest fan base, by far, simply because of the nature of it being a state school
Largest, yes. UConn crowds have not been great though, so where would it rank today?

Reaction Score
Largest, yes. UConn crowds have not been great though, so where would it rank today?

Ticket sales are not the only indicator of the size of a fan base

Reaction Score

I’m also excited about playing in real venues against legitimate home crowds again.

I’m really REALLY excited to get to Hinkle Fieldhouse.

What are some of the better away venues you’ve been to, or know the reputation of, in the Big East?

Reaction Score
Ticket sales are not the only indicator of the size of a fan base
UConn fan base is large, no doubt. But where does it rank in “best fan bases”? Not largest, but best. Do you think UConn will be at capacity for any home games next year?

Reaction Score
I’m also excited about playing in real venues against legitimate home crowds again.

What are some of the better away venues you’ve been to, or know the reputation of, in the Big East?
Nova and St John’s have similar home arrangements. When playing in the NBA arenas the atmosphere is great. The on campus venues are average at best. Cintas (X) and Hinkle (Butler) have great home game experiences. Creighton basically fills a NBA type arena every game. Marquette plays all of their games in a brand new NBA arena walking distance from campus.

The Dunk has a home court presence.

Georgetown is an NBA arena but they have a disgruntled fan base that is only starting to come back, so less than electric at the moment. SH at the Pru is a good venue and they open the upper curtains for Nova games, but it is only OK for most of their home games. DePaul has a great new venue but they need to get competitive.

UConn facilities are OK, but I think I’d rank XL below average in conference.

Reaction Score

Marquette plays in the Milwaukee Bucks new arena. (Fiserv Forum) It was built right next to the now torn down Bradley Center. It seats 17,341. Over 10k in the lower bowl.

Xavier just remodeled it's sharp looking arena. (Cintas Center) seats 10,500

Creighton plays in CHI Health Center. The Bluejays put 17k per night in that big arena. The arena always host NCAA Tourament games. The last one you might remember was Kansas beating Duke in overtime in 2018 to go to the Final Four.
Butler also remodeled Hinkle Fieldhouse. Took out many of the bleachers and added seats. Capacity went down because of that by 900. Hinkle seats 9,100.
Villanova also finished remodeling the Pavilion. Looks now like a 6,000 seat arena, instead of a gym.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just added/renewed 3,000 season ticket sales since last Friday. We will be fine.
Wow people really don't want to miss the last season in the American. Hope they don't nosedive too much next season.

(Relax, I'm kidding.)

VCE

Reaction Score
Isn’t the arena called “Wintrust Arena?”

No, it was the Link, CenturyLink Center or something like that before. Rabid fan base, but tough to hate. They are very nice people. Cintas (Xavier) is smaller but great. Hinkle has some historical magic to it. It’s more of a big gym, but still seats 8-9k iirc.

You’ll still fill the upper deck at gtown, probably at SHU as well. Georgetown’s fan base took a huge hit with realignment/JT3 forgetting how to build a roster.

SJU attendance seemed to come back in a big way last year. The Dunk always rocks. Nova is Nova. You’ll always play them at Wells Fargo, I assume. You know what nattys do for attendance. Marquette is consistently strong. Depaul has a nice, new arena, but they’re still DePaul.

Reaction Score
Wow people really don't want to miss the last season in the American. Hope they don't nosedive too much next season.

(Relax, I'm kidding.)
Just use one of these :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
A UConn guidebto the Big East

Syracuse ain’t there. Pitt? Nope. Louisville? Uh-uh. West Virginia. Nay. Miami? BC? No and No. Notre Dame? Gonzo.

So who is there? Well St Johns. You know the place that has to virtually beg a D2 guy to coach the team. There is some team from Nebraska called the Blue Jays. Yeah, really. And Butler. Remember how good they were when Brad Stevens was there? Yeah he isn’t there anymore. Georgetown. JT is long gone and his kid is too. Like us they are trying the nostalgia route with Ewing. LOL. And don’t forget Xavier. Yeah there coach is now At Louisville, but they might be good. And Providence. I think they’ve gotten better but can’t really tell since they don’t have to play the good teams, you know, the ones that used to be in the Big East but aren’t any more. And there 1-done tournament play kinda supports that view I think.

Great tv coverage though. On FS 1. Well the big games are. Yeah that channel between Home Shopping and Booktv. Almost as many people watch the games as go to them. Almost as many as watch Booktv I’m told. The others are in FS 2. LOL, yeah really.

Let’s just say UConn fans, this ain’t your father’s Big East Conference. It is a league of eh programs whose best days are behind them, save Villanova. Small regional schools save Georgetown, with modest academics and even more modest visions.

Now if we can just figure out this Y2K thing everything will be great.

Reaction Score
UConn fan base is large, no doubt. But where does it rank in “best fan bases”? Not largest, but best. Do you think UConn will be at capacity for any home games next year?

Yeah I’m aware quantity does not equal quality, but the UConn fan base in many ways is underrated nationally imo.

And yes, there will capacity crowds for Florida, Memphis and possibly Wichita State and UC

Reaction Score

Syracuse ain’t there. Pitt? Nope. Louisville? Uh-uh. West Virginia. Nay. Miami? BC? No and No. Notre Dame? Gonzo.

So who is there? Well St Johns. You know the place that has to virtually beg a D2 guy to coach the team. There is some team from Nebraska called the Blue Jays. And Butler. Remember how good they were when Brad Stevens was there? Yeah, they aren’t that good anymore. Georgetown. JT is long gone and his kid is too. Like us they are trying the nostalgia route with Ewing. LOL.

Reaction Score

So who is there? Well St Johns. You know the place that has to virtually beg a D2 guy to coach the team. There is some team from Nebraska called the Blue Jays. Yeah, really. And Butler. Remember how good they were when Brad Stevens was there? Yeah he isn’t there anymore. Georgetown. JT is long gone and his kid is too. Like us they are trying the nostalgia route with Ewing. LOL. And don’t forget Xavier. Yeah there coach is now At Louisville, but they might be good. And Providence. I think they’ve gotten better but can’t really tell since they don’t have to play the good teams, you know, the ones that used to be in the Big East but aren’t any more. And there 1-done tournament play kinda supports that view I think.

Great tv coverage though. On FS 1. Well the big games are. Yeah that channel between Home Shopping and Booktv. Almost as many people watch the games as go to them. Almost as many as watch Booktv I’m told. The others are in FS 2. LOL, yeah really.

Let’s just say UConn fans, this ain’t your father’s Big East Conference. It is a league of eh programs whose best days are behind them, save Villanova. Small regional schools save Georgetown, with modest academics and even more modest visions.

Now if we can just figure out this Y2K thing everything will be great.

So who is there? Well St Johns. You know the place that has to virtually beg a D2 guy to coach the team. There is some team from Nebraska called the Blue Jays. And Butler. Remember how good they were when Brad Stevens was there? Yeah, they aren’t that good anymore. Georgetown. JT is long gone and his kid is too. Like us they are trying the nostalgia route with Ewing. LOL.

Yawn. Can’t wait for your posts waxing nostalgic for our last games against ECU and Tulsa this year

Reaction Score

Have to win again it's that simple. When you win 4 NC's in 15 years people get spoiled rotten and it was us. Hell from the 89-90 season which led to Huskymania UConn ws in FF's, Elite 8's and a couple Sweet 16s were habit and that's what every fan wants to extend a successful season as long as the magic can keep going. Now try a NC, then a round of 32 to 3 seasons under .500 the fans can't be expected to fill houses with a run like that. Expectations will be up this year a little and even more as the players Hurley needs arrive here. It should be just in time to be competitive in the NBE first year and then impact the league thereafter. If it goes that way the crowds will pour in to see you guys, PC, GTown everyone. We know Butler, Creighton and the others too and expect great games again night in night out. Will bring the fun back really looking forward to it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom