A UConn Guide to the Big East | The Boneyard

A UConn Guide to the Big East

Reaction Score
Welcome back Huskies! I've been following the discussion on here and there is a lot of misinformation regarding the conference you will be joining next year. So here is a little guide for you...

WHAT'S THE SAME -

1.) The Big East Tournament is still the best conference tournament in the country. We have the numbers to actually back it up. This last season, The Big East Tournament had the best average attendance out of every tournament in the country. In fact, every session was sold out except for one which got pretty close. Same was true for the year before when we were also number one in average attendance and beat out the Big Ten who played at the Garden the week prior and the ACC who was in Brooklyn. Even St. John's was selling out the Garden multiple times during the season and had huge attendance numbers there. In fact, despite attempts by the ACC and the Big Ten to get the Garden to host there tournaments in the future, the Garden extended the Big East Tournament contract and is in discussions with St. John's to schedule all Big East Conference games at MSG.

2.) The Love / Hate Relationship has survived. Like the old version, Big East fans root hard for their conference mates in the non-conference slate and in the NCAA tournament. But once conference play tips, the hatred is tough to top. It's still a street brawl every night, which brings me to number three....

3.) Big East refs still suck. Won't even get into it but look at a few games from last season. If Hurley likes getting ejected, he'll find a few reasons to do so.

4.) The basketball is excellent. The Big East has been in the top five of all conferences consistently since 2013. Two national championships, several players of the year, two number 1 seeds in the NCAA tourny in 2018, and a round robin schedule that has fostered real rivalries. We have never had a losing season against the schools playing in the Football Five conferences as a group and have generally put half our teams in the tourney on average.

WHAT'S CHANGED

1.) The obvious - membership. No more Cuse and Pitt. Now you will see Creighton, Xavier and Butler. They have been excellent additions and road wins in their arenas are hard to come by. Cintas is a mad house, Hinkle has some type of magic game in and out, and say hello to 18k Blue Jay fans in Omaha that fill stands each night. I know you guys think you are going to waltz in and start winning championships right away with that UConn ego (hate part is creeping in here), but it will be very tough. You'll see.

2.) FOX. The Fox coverage of the Big East is phenomenal. Now, the rub is that the ratings are not as strong as ESPN. But who cares? The real question is can I see my team on national TV whether I'm in Storrs or in Los Angeles. St. John's had just about every single game on TV last season - conference and non-conference. The Fox channels are available across the country. No more ESPN3 or ESPN+. So when you tell a kid his family can watch every game from the comfort of home if they want, that's a good thing. And FOX markets the Big East in a big way. I'm sure the commercials featuring UConn will be over the top. So don't worry about TV - you're in a better spot than you were for sure.

3.) The Commish - Val Ackerman is the best commissioner in the sport. Not even close. She is quiet, but tough as they come and really advocates for the league. She secured the Garden extension while the Big Ten and ACC were at the doorstep, she was able to negotiate expansion of the league to take in a major program of national stature (there's that love I was mentioning), and you will see her at your games walking around talking to the fans. She does a great job.

That's basically it. The Big East is glad you are coming home. It's going to be a lot of fun for everyone.

Reaction Score
Welcome back Huskies! I've been following the discussion on here and there is a lot of misinformation regarding the conference you will be joining next year. So here is a little guide for you...

WHAT'S THE SAME -

1.) The Big East Tournament is still the best conference tournament in the country. We have the numbers to actually back it up. This last season, The Big East Tournament had the best average attendance out of every tournament in the country. In fact, every session was sold out except for one which got pretty close. Same was true for the year before when we were also number one in average attendance and beat out the Big Ten who played at the Garden the week prior and the ACC who was in Brooklyn. Even St. John's was selling out the Garden multiple times during the season and had huge attendance numbers there. In fact, despite attempts by the ACC and the Big Ten to get the Garden to host there tournaments in the future, the Garden extended the Big East Tournament contract and is in discussions with St. John's to schedule all Big East Conference games at MSG.

2.) The Love / Hate Relationship has survived. Like the old version, Big East fans root hard for their conference mates in the non-conference slate and in the NCAA tournament. But once conference play tips, the hatred is tough to top. It's still a street brawl every night, which brings me to number three....

3.) Big East refs still suck. Won't even get into it but look at a few games from last season. If Hurley likes getting ejected, he'll find a few reasons to do so.

4.) The basketball is excellent. The Big East has been in the top five of all conferences consistently since 2013. Two national championships, several players of the year, two number 1 seeds in the NCAA tourny in 2018, and a round robin schedule that has fostered real rivalries. We have never had a losing season against the schools playing in the Football Five conferences as a group and have generally put half our teams in the tourney on average.

WHAT'S CHANGED

1.) The obvious - membership. No more Cuse and Pitt. Now you will see Creighton, Xavier and Butler. They have been excellent additions and road wins in their arenas are hard to come by. Cintas is a mad house, Hinkle has some type of magic game in and out, and say hello to 18k Blue Jay fans in Omaha that fill stands each night. I know you guys think you are going to waltz in and start winning championships right away with that UConn ego (hate part is creeping in here), but it will be very tough. You'll see.

2.) FOX. The Fox coverage of the Big East is phenomenal. Now, the rub is that the ratings are not as strong as ESPN. But who cares? The real question is can I see my team on national TV whether I'm in Storrs or in Los Angeles. St. John's had just about every single game on TV last season - conference and non-conference. The Fox channels are available across the country. No more ESPN3 or ESPN+. So when you tell a kid his family can watch every game from the comfort of home if they want, that's a good thing. And FOX markets the Big East in a big way. I'm sure the commercials featuring UConn will be over the top. So don't worry about TV - you're in a better spot than you were for sure.

3.) The Commish - Val Ackerman is the best commissioner in the sport. Not even close. She is quiet, but tough as they come and really advocates for the league. She secured the Garden extension while the Big Ten and ACC were at the doorstep, she was able to negotiate expansion of the league to take in a major program of national stature (there's that love I was mentioning), and you will see her at your games walking around talking to the fans. She does a great job.

That's basically it. The Big East is glad you are coming home. It's going to be a lot of fun for everyone.
Great stuff. Thanks for the update, I for one do not think we are going to take over right away. It will take some time but in Dan Hurley we have the right guy to get us back on top

Reaction Score

WHAT'S THE SAME -

WHAT'S CHANGED

We look forward to hating you soon.

Keep those games at the garden. We love coming down and outnumbering you on your home court.

Reaction Score

WHAT'S THE SAME -

WHAT'S CHANGED

Thank you St Johns!

I hate you.

Reaction Score

WHAT'S THE SAME -

WHAT'S CHANGED

You're as irrelevant now as when we left.

Reaction Score

WHAT'S THE SAME -

WHAT'S CHANGED

Thanks but as for #3 Big East refs are a million times better than AAC refs, I promise you.

A few of our not so regular posters are intentionally being d****, most of us are just happy to be back and having something to really look forward to.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Do you know where we’ve been?

Big East refs are going to seem like an all-star crew compared to what we’ve been through - AAC refs threw Hurley and Haith out of a game for shaking hands.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Great, another conference where UConn has more championships than the rest of the members combined.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Thanks for the warm welcome redman.

Now whatta ya want? No new yorker is that cordial.

Do you know where we’ve been?

Big East refs are going to seem like an all-star crew compared to what we’ve been through - AAC refs threw Hurley and Haith out of a game for shaking hands.

Hes right. You have no idea what weve seen.

Reaction Score
I have a sense that most fans of AAC and Big East teams believe their refs are the worst. Unfortunately, they're all probably right.

Reaction Score
2.) FOX. The Fox coverage of the Big East is phenomenal. Now, the rub is that the ratings are not as strong as ESPN. But who cares? The real question is can I see my team on national TV whether I'm in Storrs or in Los Angeles. St. John's had just about every single game on TV last season - conference and non-conference. The Fox channels are available across the country. No more ESPN3 or ESPN+.

I did not know this. This is good news.

Reaction Score
I have a sense that most fans of AAC and Big East teams believe their refs are the worst. Unfortunately, they're all probably right.
The AAC is unlike anything I've seen at any level of basketball. Just one of the many things that's tough to stomach in this clown car of a conference.

Reaction Score
Technically we are not back. This is the first time since the formation of the original Big East UConn has changed leagues. This league doesn't excite me as much. Games against Creighton, Butler and Xavier don't and won't have the same buzz as games against Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt did. It's not the same and will never be the same.

VCE

Reaction Score
Welcome home UConn! (I know you never left, but whatever, you’re where you belong). Hoyas fan here hating the huskies since March of 96.

Great, another conference where UConn has more championships than the rest of the members combined.

5>4. Unless you’re counting women’s bball and other sports. No doubt your olympics are awesome.

The league is fun. The first couple years were slow, but MSG is rocking again now. The new teams travel well, at least to the BET. X has owned UC for the past 6/7 years. Butler plays in a historic facility and are always scrappy good despite losing coaches every other year. Creighton’s fan base will surprise you and you’ll grow to hate them as a sort of anti-Cuse. You’ll love their baseball and soccer.

Glad you’re here. GFY!

VCE

Reaction Score
The only concern I have with fox and maybe I’m misremembering but did I watch a few games last year in standard def?

I live way outside the BE footprint and the only standard def games were those on FS2 for me last year. I think that was 2 OOC cupcakes. There may have been one early Conf game as well. I was able to see every GTown game but 1 on my cable system.

Reaction Score
I also love the FOX/FS1 coverage. Great TV crews and studio shows. Gus Johnson, Tim Brando; voice of the Los Angeles Dodgers and FOX College Football announcer Joe Davis; FOX MLB host and NFL broadcaster Kevin Burkhardt; FOX Sports announcer Justin Kutcher; Milwaukee Brewers and national MLB commentator Brian Anderson; FOX College Football and boxing’s Brian Custer; BTN’s Kevin Kugler; and more. New last season was Dave O’Brien; BTN host Dave Revsine.

Bill Raftery, Jim Jackson, Donny Marshall, Steve Lavin, Len Elmore. Other former players Nick Bahe (Creighton), Stephen Bardo (Illinois), Stephen Howard (DePaul), Casey Jacobsen (Stanford), Dickey Simpkins (Providence), Jim Spanarkel (Duke) and Tarik Turner (St. John’s); Doug Gottlieb; YES Network, Brooklyn Nets analyst and FOX Sports contributor Sarah Kustok; former NCAA assistant coach Vin Parise.

Studio, Rob Stone returns as FOX Sports’ lead college basketball host, joined by Jackson, Jacobsen, Marshall and Lavin throughout the season. Burkhardt, Mike Hill are joined by Bahe, Gottlieb and Andy Katz join the studio analyst rotation during the year. Evan Daniels is FOX Sports college basketball insider, and Howie Schwab reprises his role as the network’s bracketologist.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom