A UCONN fan walks into a bar ... | The Boneyard

A UCONN fan walks into a bar ...

Reaction Score
A place I have been to twice - not frequent.

I am in Stamford and go to Colony Grill - well known in Fairfield and Westchester Counties. Stamford one is the original.

There are 4 TVs on the bar side and it is relatively packed on a Thursday. None of the games on at 9:15 are UConn v Wichita State. The very cute latino barkeep quickly moves on my request for the UConn game. After all ... WE are in Connecticut. Colony Grill has beer and Pizza. Nothing else on the menu - the Pizza is good.

Game gets into the last 4 minutes and I notice I am not the only one watching the UConn game. Inside of 30 seconds, two table of 4 young couples and a handful of others at the bar are rooting for UConn. Last shot by Alterique big cheer ... and then.

Yes. He was fouled. It could have made a difference in the game; though he probably would have tried to hit the FT.

This is the metaphor for where we are: DEEP in our psyche of stakeholders, there are a lot of lurkers eager to be UConn fans again.

Reaction Score
Being at a bar for the 2011 and 2014 tournament runs were epic. I was at Vinny’s in Fairfield for 2011 and formally the Tavern at the Exchange in Farmington in 2014.... WILD nights with the CT locals.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
WILD nights with the CT locals.
did it end like this?

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
So the next question is obvious...was a certain assistant coach there, and are you Chief?

Reaction Score
Next season lots more people will be watching UConn basketball, I don’t get why people don’t this year. Even though they lose the games are interesting

Reaction Score
Being at a bar for the 2011 and 2014 tournament runs were epic. I was at Vinny’s in Fairfield for 2011 and formally the Tavern at the Exchange in Farmington in 2014.... WILD nights with the CT locals.

Yep Rookies in Cromwell (Now Chicago Sams) was the host to a group of my friends for the 1st NC and it started at about 8-10 guys and grew each game. I am talking from the BE tourney through the NC, every game. Became a BY legend place for Mr Toad to do his "U-C-O-N-N" on tables to the whole crowd as we grew closer to the FF then the NC. Memories are wonderful of that run and the place that assisted us in enjoying it to the fullest. Good ol days want them back or at least close replica's please.

C

Chief00

I am in Stamford and go to Colony Grill - well known in Fairfield and Westchester Counties. Stamford one is the original.

There are 4 TVs on the bar side and it is relatively packed on a Thursday. None of the games on at 9:15 are UConn v Wichita State. The very cute latino barkeep quickly moves on my request for the UConn game. After all ... WE are in Connecticut. Colony Grill has beer and Pizza. Nothing else on the menu - the Pizza is good.

Game gets into the last 4 minutes and I notice I am not the only one watching the UConn game. Inside of 30 seconds, two table of 4 young couples and a handful of others at the bar are rooting for UConn. Last shot by Alterique big cheer ... and then.

Yes. He was fouled. It could have made a difference in the game; though he probably would have tried to hit the FT.

This is the metaphor for where we are: DEEP in our psyche of stakeholders, there are a lot of lurkers eager to be UConn fans again.
Good observations. Takes me back to the 1989 and 1990 season. I was dating a girl who had a party the night of the Georgetown game. I did protest some - why pick that time for a party at your house. I got the answer because none of her friends would care about the game but I could have it on the TV - fair enough. She was from NY but worked in CT, so it was a combination of the two demos in attendance.
Well, by the second half the room the TV was in became the focal point of the party - and the UConn Casual Fan was born!

Reaction Score
@Pudge Colony is very good in Stamford. The most underrated pizza and bar is Coalhouse. The bar at Coalhouse is so underrated. I've watched a few UConn games at Coalhouse and it's awesome. I'm the only one there!

Reaction Score
OP is a fail without the deets on the pizza and beer.

I didn’t want a whole Pizza. I already had a filling soup right after work. But Colony Grill has nothing else in its menu. Pizza Pizza.

Beer? I’m boring. I’m alwats happy when Yuengling is on tap.

Reaction Score

I was in a bar in Hilton Head (celebration of my wife's 50th birthday with friends) in 2014 for the final four semi against Florida. I took my then 13 yo son out with the men, and he reminisces about it to this day (the Florida fans being all hyped at the beginning, the UConn run to cut the lead, and then the dominance the rest of the way). He also remembers us seeing a Kentucky garbed fan on his way in as we were leaving, and me saying "see you on Monday night." For a night, I was a cool guy through his eyes.

Reaction Score

You like those cute Latinos huh Pudge?

Reaction Score
Good observations. Takes me back to the 1989 and 1990 season. I was dating a girl who had a party the night of the Georgetown game. I did protest some - why pick that time for a party at your house. I got the answer because none of her friends would care about the game but I could have it on the TV - fair enough. She was from NY but worked in CT, so it was a combination of the two demos in attendance.
Well, by the second half the room the TV was in became the focal point of the party - and the UConn Casual Fan was born!
So now you are taking credit for THAT....were you with Al Gore when he "invented" the internet?

C

Chief00

So now you are taking credit for THAT....were you with Al Gore when he "invented" the internet?

Your reading comprehension level is always interesting - In your World what’s “THAT”?

Reaction Score
You like those cute Latinos huh Pudge?

Waqoit?

Life. Love Latino ❤️ (RE Port Chester + SE Fairfield County). But since divorce ... I’m long in Asian friends. Doctors + University Profs. whodathunkit

C

Chief00

Creating the "casual fan".
Actually, that hadn’t crossed my mind until now. But, now that you mentioned it, I guess in your World - I would get credit for coining that phase in the context of UConn MBB. Who else would?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom