A true test of DH | The Boneyard

A true test of DH

Reaction Score
A true test of DH, and staff, will be to see how they coach up the returning players. The saying that goes that a coach will beat YOU with his players, and would beat you with your own players, will give early insights as to what to expect when DH gets truly, his players.

Reaction Score
A true test of DH, and staff, will be to see how they coach up the returning players. The saying that goes that a coach will beat YOU with his players, and would beat you with your own players, will give early insights as to what to expect when DH gets truly, his players.
100% agree. Obviously our recruiting could've been better over the last four years, but that wasn't the real problem. The real problem was player development and retention.

Can't wait to see how DH does there. My expectations are high.

Reaction Score

Truer test for DH might be to avoid the-boneyard.com to maintain his sanity

Reaction Score
I saw about 5 total minutes of URI basketball and have no idea what Hurely's strategy is. Maybe others who have seen more can fill me in.

Reaction Score

He will still need better players than what we have we aren’t dancing with his “development” of this roster sorry to say.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I saw about 5 total minutes of URI basketball and have no idea what Hurely's strategy is. Maybe others who have seen more can fill me in.

Fire Hurley and Herbst and Benedict for hiring him. He clearly doesn’t have it. Just wanted to be first.

Hopefully as OP says, he can coach them up to the max of their ability. Which in some cases seems higher than what we saw plus they were a young bunch. And get some sort of intensity and team play going that might win a few games even if some of these kids don’t have high ceilings v

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He will still need better players than what we have we aren’t dancing with his “development” of this roster sorry to say.

Disagree on this. I don’t think URI had more talent than UConn last year. Maybe a better collection of guys to create a team, and much more experience. Gilbert, Wilson and Adams are all more talented than anybody URI had. More hard nosed? Tougher? Smarter in how they play? No. There URI held the edge. As did every single team we played.

Comparisons to football are way off here. In basketball, one great player can take you to the tournament with a mediocre cast. That could be Adams, or Gilbert. It could be both.

Now a deep run? No. That’s beyond this roster. But making it in a weakened AAC? Easily doable. I think people will have their eyes opened to just how bad Ollie was.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Our roster is going to be better this year no matter who is coaching (assuming Adams is back) , just based on their collective lack of experience last year.

For me, the judgment of Hurley's first year is whether or not he gets them playing better than what we think their current ceiling is.

If he struggles to get into the NIT, I think it will be viewed somewhat as a failure. If he gets us into the top 10, we may build a statue for him...

Reaction Score
Disagree on this. I don’t think URI had more talent than UConn last year. Maybe a better collection of guys to create a team, and much more experience. Gilbert, Wilson and Adams are all more talented than anybody URI had. More hard nosed? Tougher? Smarter in how they play? No. There URI held the edge. As did every single team we played.

Comparisons to football are way off here. In basketball, one great player can take you to the tournament with a mediocre cast. That could be Adams, or Gilbert. It could be both.

Now a deep run? No. That’s beyond this roster. But making it in a weakened AAC? Easily doable. I think people will have their eyes opened to just how bad Ollie was.

Disagree all you want I’m sure there’s no NCAA tourney next year without additional talent.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Disagree all you want I’m sure there’s no NCAA tourney next year without additional talent.

Do you include grad transfers in that calculation? Obviously he’ll bring in somebody, for depth at the least.

Reaction Score
Do you include grad transfers in that calculation? Obviously he’ll bring in somebody, for depth at the least.

Sure grad transfers if they (he) are capable of playing starters minutes. Can’t be just depth they will need to impact with solid numbers and smart play, bring positive vibes.

Just me HH I respect your opinion.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Our roster is going to be better this year no matter who is coaching (assuming Adams is back) , just based on their collective lack of experience last year.

For me, the judgment of Hurley's first year is whether or not he gets them playing better than what we think their current ceiling is.

If he struggles to get into the NIT, I think it will be viewed somewhat as a failure. If he gets us into the top 10, we may build a statue for him...
agreed. chemistry, IQ, and heart/energy are the biggest things that we need to find and fix with this team. the first year maybe year two are just about getting the foundation and a team together. It feels as if we've been in disarray for awhile and Hurley needs to organize it. The past few years have been so bad that expectations can't be so high so soon

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sure grad transfers if they (he) are capable of playing starters minutes. Can’t be just depth they will need to impact with solid numbers and smart play, bring positive vibes.

I think a backup PG is all they need really. But it doesn’t matter, it’s going to be entertaining finding out who is right. The anticipation is welcome.

That said, I believe that Gilbert will be 100% and Adams will be back. No Adams changes the math for sure.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
agreed. chemistry, IQ, and heart/energy are the biggest things that we need to find and fix with this team. the first year maybe year two are just about getting the foundation and a team together. It feels as if we've been in disarray for awhile and Hurley needs to organize it. The past few years have been so bad that expectations can't be so high so soon

I'm not sure we agree based on what you wrote.

What I'm saying is that this roster next year with Adams should undoubtedly be an NIT team at a minimum. My expectation with this roster with an additional year under their belts is being in the discussion for the NCAA tourney (bubble team).

If Hurley gets us into the tourney, that's a nice year in my opinion with this roster. If he can't reach the NIT, I'd be extremely nervous about the future with him...

Reaction Score
I think a backup PG is all they need really. But it doesn’t matter, it’s going to be entertaining finding out who is right. The anticipation is welcome.

That said, I believe that Gilbert will be 100% and Adams will be back. No Adams changes the math for sure.

Wait a minute I want you to be right. I hope I’m entertained in respect to you being correct. We need another scorer someone who can consistently put the ball in the basket.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What I'm saying is that this roster next year with Adams should undoubtedly be an NIT team at a minimum. My expectation with this roster with an additional year under their belts is being in the discussion for the NCAA tourney (bubble team).

If Hurley gets us into the tourney, that's a nice year in my opinion with this roster. If he can't reach the NIT, I'd be extremely nervous about the future with him...

I think that's high Dan. I mean, it's certainly possible, but not the expected scenario. I don't think you're giving enough time for guys to learn Dan's way, buy in, and the game to change for them. Normally, you bring in freshman into a culture already established, and they grow into and self perpetuate it. Next year, the culture needs to be instilled in the upper classmen, which is a harder ask. There's a lot of bad habits to break. A lot of growing pains.

If Hurley gets us into the Tourney, that's a damn great job. I mean, we were 14-18 this year...and got killed doing that. It would mean we would have 23 wins or so next year.

pj

Reaction Score

I'd like to see Dan Hurley beat the heck out of college basketball with Mike Krzyzewski's players. But, if I have to settle, I'll settle for Dan Hurley winning a lot of college basketball games with Dan Hurley's players.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think that's high Dan. I mean, it's certainly possible, but not the expected scenario. I don't think you're giving enough time for guys to learn Dan's way, buy in, and the game to change for them. Normally, you bring in freshman into a culture already established, and they grow into and self perpetuate it. Next year, the culture needs to be instilled in the upper classmen, which is a harder ask. There's a lot of bad habits to break. A lot of growing pains.

If Hurley gets us into the Tourney, that's a damn great job. I mean, we were 14-18 this year...and got killed doing that. It would mean we would have 23 wins or so next year.

We're saying almost the same thing. If Hurley gets us into the tourney, that's a great job. If he gets us into the bubble discussion, that's a good job.

If we don't make the NIT with Adams on board? I'm sorry but that's a bad job. Most of the good teams in our league are losing big time players (i.e., Rob Gray). Some teams are switching coaches too (Memphis, ECU).

I don't think I'm holding Hurley to an unfair water mark there, with Adams, Vital, Carlton, Polley, Diarra, and others all getting one year older and one year better. NIT should be the minimum expectation next year...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We're saying almost the same thing. If Hurley gets us into the tourney, that's a great job. If he gets us into the bubble discussion, that's a good job.

If we don't make the NIT with Adams on board? I'm sorry but that's a bad job. Most of the good teams in our league are losing big time players (i.e., Rob Gray). Some teams are switching coaches too (Memphis, ECU).

I don't think I'm holding Hurley to an unfair water mark there, with Adams, Vital, Carlton, Polley, Diarra, and others all getting one year older and one year better. NIT should be the minimum expectation next year...

We should absolutely be above .500 next year*. I'd be happy to flip our record and go 18-14 and then a nice little run in the NIT.

*The one complicating factor is our guard situation. If Adams comes back or not, if AG gets hurt or not, if we get another commit or not. Right now we got three guards....but it could easily go down to ONE with no PG. That's frightening.

Reaction Score
We should absolutely be above .500 next year*. I'd be happy to flip our record and go 18-14 and then a nice little run in the NIT.

*The one complicating factor is our guard situation. If Adams comes back or not, if AG gets hurt or not, if we get another commit or not. Right now we got three guards....but it could easily go down to ONE with no PG. That's frightening.

Agree but there’s time to find help and o believe he will somehow. Akinjo certainly won’t be his fault but certainly would be an amazing get if he turned him. Not likely but again, there will be a solid guard who he will find and bring in I think. I have faith in his plan.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I’m confident Gilbert will be fine, by Thanksgiving if not opening day. Adams, we need. Even then, we need a backup point and ideally someone to push Vital. There are a bunch of grad transfer PGs, including from Cornell. I’d really love to see Hurley steal a surprise freshman SG. There is next to no competition there for any strong player to worry about.

Five guards. Hopefully. It’s going to be interesting.

Reaction Score
Our roster will greatly improve simply because AA and DO won't be on it, as sad as that is to say.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I’m not sure I agree. Let’s see what the roster ends up being first.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I agree. Let’s see what the roster ends up being first.

Of course my entire point was predicated on the current roster with Adams coming back (and no further additions). If Adams doesn't come back or if we have a major defection(s) from the current roster, then yes, a different water mark would have to be used...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom