A true test of DH | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A true test of DH

Reaction Score
Wait a minute I want you to be right. I hope I’m entertained in respect to you being correct. We need another scorer someone who can consistently put the ball in the basket.
And no Larrier. His points have to be made up.

Reaction Score
While the talent on the current roster is still lacking for UConn standards, we could be better this year because of 1) more experience for the now sophomores and 2) energy Hurley will bring.

It was appalling how many times this year the camera panned to KO sitting on the bench with his head resting on his hands while the team was playing poorly. I firmly believe a team is a reflection of its coach, and the energy on the court often mirrored what was on the sideline.

Reaction Score
If Hurley gets us into the tourney, that's a great job. If he gets us into the bubble discussion, that's a good job. If we don't make the NIT with Adams on board? I'm sorry but that's a bad job.
I'm with you in spirit, but I balk at the hard line application in Y1.
If we get into the tourni next year (oh G-d, please make that happen!), then he's done a great job.
If we don't get into the NIT, maybe he has done a bad job. Maybe not. If he takes the long view, he may not be trying to win as many games as possible. If he brings in a couple of kids, or if he favors one or two of the remaining Ollie kids, he may sacrifice immediate success for PT for future success.
I mean, aren't we all in agreement that it would have made a lot more sense to cut DO's PT in favor of one or more of the younger players? Of course. A lot of us voiced the opinion that PT spent on Cartlton or KW would have been a better long term use of PT.
Of course, KO didn't really have long term options. DH does. He's got a 4 year leash, at least, and probably 5 or 6. Ergo, he might be happy, and wise, to give PT to players who will be offer returns in Y3 or Y4 rather than guys who are gone after this year. For example, it won't make much sense to have the J. Adams show make us an NIT team if we sacrifice the development of Gilbert or Wilson to do it. Right?
So, while I agree with what you're saying, in principle, I don't believe that Hurley starts to get graded until at least Y3. And Y4 is when we can really start to categorize as bad/good/great.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I mean, aren't we all in agreement that it would have made a lot more sense to cut DO's PT in favor of one or more of the younger players? Of course. A lot of us voiced the opinion that PT spent on Cartlton or KW would have been a better long term use of PT.
Of course, KO didn't really have long term options.

People don't talk about my biggest gripe with this point. Yes, it would have been better to plan for the future. But I don't fault KO for trying to win now and save his job.

What I did find fault with, in fact, what I found completely mind boggling, was that KO somehow thought his chances of winning now were better with DO on the court. It was pretty damn apparent to even the most casual of casual fans that every other one of the more raw options was a more viable alternative if the goal was to win games now.

Reaction Score
Our roster will greatly improve simply because AA and DO won't be on it, as sad as that is to say.
I don’t think that’s fair to AA. Totally agree on DO, addition by subtraction

Reaction Score
I thought this thread was going to be about how his relationship with Chief would go. BIG disappointment here.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm with you in spirit, but I balk at the hard line application in Y1.
If we get into the tourni next year (oh G-d, please make that happen!), then he's done a great job.
If we don't get into the NIT, maybe he has done a bad job. Maybe not. If he takes the long view, he may not be trying to win as many games as possible. If he brings in a couple of kids, or if he favors one or two of the remaining Ollie kids, he may sacrifice immediate success for PT for future success.
Of course, KO didn't really have long term options. Coach Hurley does. He's got a 4 year leash, at least, and probably 5 or 6. Ergo, he might be happy, and wise, to give PT to players who will be offer returns in Y3 or Y4 rather than guys who are gone after this year. For example, it won't make much sense to have the J. Adams show make us an NIT team if we sacrifice the development of Gilbert or Wilson to do it. Right?
So, while I agree with what you're saying, in principle, I don't believe that Hurley starts to get graded until at least Y3. And Y4 is when we can really start to categorize as bad/good/great.

There are a couple of points that I disagree with.

First, if a coach isn't trying to win as many games as possible, he or she doesn't belong at UConn. Period. That's true in any sport here.

Second, holding him to a standard of NIT at UConn is being very lenient and is only happening because of our current roster and situation. If it weren't year 1 with our current roster, we wouldn't even be happy with the NIT bid either.

Third, I'm basing my expectations on what I currently know about the roster, which means I'm not even factoring in Wilson in my calculation. If Sid is half the player we think he will be and we don't make the NIT, then we have made a terrible error in hiring Hurley.

For the record, I believe that Hurley will safely get us to the NIT and I'm hoping for even more than that...

Reaction Score
There are a couple of points that I disagree with.

First, if a coach isn't trying to win as many games as possible, he or she doesn't belong at UConn. Period. That's true in any sport here.

Second, holding him to a standard of NIT at UConn is being very lenient and is only happening because of our current roster and situation. If it weren't year 1 with our current roster, we wouldn't even be happy with the NIT bid either.

Third, I'm basing my expectations on what I currently know about the roster, which means I'm not even factoring in Wilson in my calculation. If Sid is half the player we think he will be and we don't make the NIT, then we have made a terrible error in hiring Hurley.

For the record, I believe that Hurley will safely get us to the NIT and I'm hoping for even more than that...
It's too early for expectations. let's see how the roster shakes out

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's too early for expectations. let's see how the roster shakes out

Really?? Its too early for expectations for a coach getting 3 million dollars on our flagship program?

I'm expecting NIT. I'm not asking for an NBA best 4-of-7 against the Golden State Warriors...

Reaction Score
Really?? Its too early for expectations for a coach getting 3 million dollars on our flagship program?

I'm expecting NIT. I'm not asking for an NBA best 4-of-7 against the Golden State Warriors...
Will you say the same thing if Adams goes pro? Or if a couple guys transfer? We don't even know what the roster is going to look like

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Will you say the same thing if Adams goes pro? Or if a couple guys transfer? We don't even know what the roster is going to look like

Oh my god. It's like you post without reading anything.

I'm not going to answer you. I'm going to tell you to go back to my first, second, and third post of this thread and answer yourself three times in a row...

Reaction Score
Oh my god. It's like you post without reading anything.

I'm not going to answer you. I'm going to tell you to go back to my first, second, and third post of this thread and answer yourself three times in a row...
idk man it just seems kind of weird that you were all in on KO who failed 4 years in a row but now you're going to give Hurley crap for inheriting a dumpster fire in year one.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
idk man it just seems kind of weird that you were all in on KO who failed 4 years in a row but now you're going to give Hurley crap for inheriting a dumpster fire in year one.

Then you don't read. And you need to start to read.

The expectation for Ollie was no different than the expectation for Hurley and I've said as much. Plenty of times...

Reaction Score
Then you don't read. And you need to start to read.

The expectation for Ollie was no different than the expectation for Hurley and I've said as much. Plenty of times...
well if the expectations are the same then why did you defend the man for two years during the worst back to back stretch in 30+ years?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
well if the expectations are the same then why did you defend the man for two years during the worst back to back stretch in 30+ years?

If you want to continue to be a clown, go ahead. But I posted multiple times after the losing season last year that he wouldn't get to have a losing season this year. And he didn't. And I was correct about it.

That's the expectation here. You don't get to selectively have the expectation. And believe me when I say that every coach that takes this job understands that...

Reaction Score
If you want to continue to be a clown, go ahead. But I posted multiple times after the losing season last year that he wouldn't get to have a losing season this year. And he didn't. And I was correct about it.

That's the expectation here. You don't get to selectively have the expectation. And believe me when I say that every coach that takes this job understands that...
it doesn't mean we can't be realistic. I think there's a ton of potential going into next year but we don't know what the roster is going to look like. We have three guards right now, one with an injury history and one that might go pro even if it's unlikely. If we trot out Gilbert/Adams/Wilson/Diarra/Carlton as the day one lineup & everyone is healthy then I agree with you - minimum expectations should be the NIT

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
it doesn't mean we can't be realistic. I think there's a ton of potential going into next year but we don't know what the roster is going to look like. We have three guards right now, one with an injury history and one that might go pro even if it's unlikely. If we trot out Gilbert/Adams/Wilson/Diarra/Carlton as the day one lineup & everyone is healthy then I agree with you - minimum expectations should be the NIT

Again, if you read my posts in this thread, then you would already know that I've said the exact same thing as your last sentence and we could have saved some time and effort.

I really mean this with all respect when I say; take the time to read a little more. Don't just be spring-loaded to jump down someone's throat...

Reaction Score
Again, if you read my posts in this thread, then you would already know that I've said the exact same thing as your last sentence and we could have saved some time and effort.

I really mean this with all respect when I say; take the time to read a little more. Don't just be spring-loaded to jump down someone's throat...
I did not intend to jump down your throat. just an observation. I read your other posts and don't see how I misrepresented your opinions in any way.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I did not intend to jump down your throat. just an observation. I read your other posts and don't see how I misrepresented your opinions in any way.

Then you need to read more...

#ReadMore

Reaction Score
First, if a coach isn't trying to win as many games as possible, he or she doesn't belong at UConn. Period.
We can cordially disagree on this, but, as respectfully as I can put it, I think your position is naive.
Fact is, the goal is a NC. If we can improve our chances of winning a NC in 3 years by playing guys next year who will cost us a few wins, we do it, no ands, ifs, or buts. Winning a few extra games next year and being a bubble team and going to the NIT does little to get us back to the mountain top, which is the goal.
One thing I love about DH is that his goal is clearly a NC, and he's going to take the steps that he thinks are correct to obtain that goal. Maybe that means jettisoning a few recruits (e.g. Kisunas) who could help us win a few games next year but who are not NC type players.
Maybe, as it were, he's already taken steps that, in the short run, may cost us a few wins, but in the long run may give us a better change to hoist #5.
If you think about it and you are reasonable about it I can't imagine that you would stick to your "win every game now at any cost" mentality.

Reaction Score
The NIT would be a step forward and the NCAA would be great but neither is the measuring stick for next year. Ollie drove the Mercedes into a tree repaired the damage with VW parts then drove that into a bigger tree. It’s going to take a year maybe 2 to get things running like a Mercedes again.

Reaction Score

You are losing this debate badly. Everything JMick says makes logical sense, you continue to sidestep his questions and make a fool of yourself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom