A Suggestion...Re: Player's injuries | The Boneyard

A Suggestion...Re: Player's injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
"We'll know a lot more when we get back," he said. "And we'll have to go from there, whatever that is."

Geno's comment strains credulity a bit...It's not like the injury happened yesterday....they had to wait to test her until he was (virtually compelled) to make a comment in a press situ?

I actually think he was trying to be helpful and forthcoming within the confines of not releasing privileged info.

And so a suggestion: IF we're not entitled to know (anything)....so be it

Coaches should say absolutely nothing except...on the morning at...say 9:30
a list of players who are cleared to play is announced.
'f asked at a presser, "no comment" being the appropriate response.

Reaction Score
Player availability information has become smoke & mirrors.

On the one hand they are national/international media personalities with countless followers and fans...

...on the other fans like BYer's aren't entitled to know the basics of their team members availability - injury, academic, travel, no matter.

Sure people & programs deserve some breathing space, but these are public figures being educated with public money and watched by the paying public as well.

For my money I favor more transparency in offering factual, accurate, timely information on these public figures to those of us who have followed them for years in some cases - and is often available on social media.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
All I need to know is if she is day to day, out for a while, or out for the year. I don't need specifics, unless he is quiet for the oppositions ears.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
What the heck did he mean when he said in one sentence that "Caroline is ahead of Ayanna in the protocol but her situation is more complicated"? Lingering issues with the neck is what worries me. I know, they really don't owe us anymore than what we get, I just want to see all the walking wounded make their way back...

Reaction Score
That being said, the fact that we’ve yet to hear anything is worrisome.
What do you expect? That Geno accompanies the players when they go to have their tests then put out a press release immediately after? I doubt Geno is burning up the phones every hour asking for a status, nor do I think as soon as he knows something he needs to put out a press release. Why do people need to know everything going on with these student-athletes 24/7? It's all very intrusive.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
What do you expect? That Geno accompanies the players when they go to have their tests then put out a press release immediately after? I doubt Geno is burning up the phones every hour asking for a status, nor do I think as soon as he knows something he needs to put out a press release. Why do people need to know everything going on with these student-athletes 24/7? It's all very intrusive.
Well, yeah but you know fans gonna fan.

Reaction Score
HIPPA laws say we are not entitled to any medical information unless released by the patient. I also believe that Geno purposely stays mum, so we don't tip off opponents how to prepare. If they don't know who's available, it makes it harder to implement a game plan.

Reaction Score
HIPPA laws say we are not entitled to any medical information unless released by the patient. I also believe that Geno purposely stays mum, so we don't tip off opponents how to prepare. If they don't know who's available, it makes it harder to implement a game plan.
Both Geno and CD have made it pretty clear they are not part of the equation in any of this. I guess they could be liars, but after 38 years I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Geno says the staff tell him who is available and for what and how long when the time comes. I don't see why we should believe differently.

Reaction Score
The only news we'd hear before Butler pre-game press is very very very bad news so not hearing anything is good so far. They aren't going to announce a minor injury or no injury at all.

Reaction Score
What the heck did he mean when he said in one sentence that "Caroline is ahead of Ayanna in the protocol but her situation is more complicated"? Lingering issues with the neck is what worries me. I know, they really don't owe us anymore than what we get, I just want to see all the walking wounded make their way back...
I felt the same when he said that about Caroline but I also think it’s possible that she has had numerous concussions within a year which makes things more complicated for her.

Reaction Score
All I’m saying is it’s worrisome. If it was easily diagnosable and she’s fine we would have heard. I’m just worried - for her and the team. Aren’t you? From what CD said, Geno texts regularly. Don’t you think someone would update him if there’s news?

And NO, I don’t “need to know everything going on”. I have no right to that info. All I want to know is what Bald Huskie said in post #6 above - “day to day, out for awhile, out for the year”.

Reaction Score
All I’m saying is it’s worrisome. If it was easily diagnosable and she’s fine we would have heard. I’m just worried - for her and the team. Aren’t you? From what CD said, Geno texts regularly. Don’t you think someone would update him if there’s news?

And NO, I don’t “need to know everything going on”. I have no right to that info. All I want to know is what Bald Husky said in post #6 above - “day to day, out for awhile, out for the year”.
I actually don't care. I am not related to them, and it's not like their injuries will impact my life. I'll let their doctor and family worry about them. I doubt any of the players sit around worrying about my or your medical conditions. The only time I even think about it is in the context of this web site or at game time, but outside of posting here or watching the game, yeah never even crosses my mind.

Reaction Score

And NO, I don’t “need to know everything going on”. I have no right to that info. All I want to know is what Bald Husky said in post #6 above - “day to day, out for awhile, out for the year”.
We definitely wouldn’t have heard yet if it was easily diagnosable. They wouldn’t make an announcement about something small. If it’s season ending or close too I would think we’d hear tomorrow or Friday.

Reaction Score
I actually don't care. I am not related to them, and it's not like their injuries will impact my life. I'll let their doctor and family worry about them. I doubt any of the players sit around worrying about my or your medical conditions. The only time I even think about it is in the context of this web site or at game time, but outside of posting here or watching the game, yeah never even crosses my mind.
Damn thats cold hearted. I feel terrible for Azzi and the other players that they are hurt and missing games in the sport they love. I wish we could all treat the players like people first and not like little puppets who play basketball like this sentiment does.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that if the medical staff was reasonably sure that any of these players would be unavailable for a period of weeks, or would be out for the year, there would be an announcement to that effect, as there was for Azzi shortly after the ND game, and as there was for Paige and Ice at the time of their injuries.

I am inclined to believe that no one, including the doctors, can say with "a reasonable degree of medical certainty" that any of the three currently sidelined players will or won't be available for the next game, let alone a given number of games or weeks after that. The nature of the injuries would suggest that. They may have a better idea than we do as fans (certainly I hope so), but not something that they want to be held to.

Imagine if they said, "Azzi will be out for 1 to 2 weeks", and then it turned out that she would have to be out far longer. Boneyarders would ask why UConn sugarcoated the initial message. Equally, imagine that they said that, and then miraculously Azzi's knee felt fine and looked OK on the MRI, and she was on the court for the Butler game. (Remember that she came back from last year's foot problem earlier than expected.) Boneyarders would question the competence of the medical staff, and wonder whether she was being hustled back before she was really ready.

So it's easy to see why the doctors, knowing the likely reaction, are unwilling to commit to a specific time frame in these particular cases. If the facts of the cases were different, they might make a different judgment.

Reaction Score
I think everyone should just contribute as much as they can to the NIL fund, contingent on all medical information being released. If we don't raise enough we can rob some banks. Maybe the FBI won't see the sarcasm so if you see me on TV doing the perp walk this is what did me in. Maybe we put $20 million in contingent on Paige being back for the BE tourney. I can put in the first $5. It is all about us wanting to see the players play isn't it? We also want to know what they had for breakfast, what book they are reading, and so much more. What do you mean we are nosey? Just naturally curious. And what do you mean we don't need to know everything going on. Of course we do.

Reaction Score
I think that if the medical staff was reasonably sure that any of these players would be unavailable for a period of weeks, or would be out for the year, there would be an announcement to that effect, as there was for Azzi shortly after the ND game, and as there was for Paige and Ice at the time of their injuries.

I am inclined to believe that no one, including the doctors, can say with "a reasonable degree of medical certainty" that any of the three currently sidelined players will or won't be available for the next game, let alone a given number of games or weeks after that. The nature of the injuries would suggest that. They may have a better idea than we do as fans (certainly I hope so), but not something that they want to be held to.

Imagine if they said, "Azzi will be out for 1 to 2 weeks", and then it turned out that she would have to be out far longer. Boneyarders would ask why UConn sugarcoated the initial message. Equally, imagine that they said that, and then miraculously Azzi's knee felt fine and looked OK on the MRI, and she was on the court for the Butler game. (Remember that she came back from last year's foot problem earlier than expected.) Boneyarders would question the competence of the medical staff, and wonder whether she was being hustled back before she was really ready.

So it's easy to see why the doctors, knowing the likely reaction, are unwilling to commit to a specific time frame in these particular cases. If the facts of the cases were different, they might make a different judgment.
They could say "she will be out 2 to 100 days, but it could be longer". There's no game for 2 days so she can't come back sooner and prove them wrong. 100 days gets you past this season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The program has become increasingly protective of players, choosing not to disclose certain injuries. Everyone involved is worn out by the discussion, the prevailing themes of which began during last season’s injury-plague run to a 14th consecutive Final Four.

Reaction Score
Wow!

Reaction Score
I understand the HIPPA/medical privacy laws. What I don’t understand is the seeming backlash to being worried. Hate to admit it, but I’m obsessed with UConn women’s basketball. I was a season ticket holder when I lived in CT. Moved to VA 10 years ago and am just as avid a fan. Been to the Final Four 8 times (including all 4 of the Stewie sweep). I want Azzi to be ok. I think we can win the National Championship if Azzi, CD and the rest of the team are healthy. I have my hotel reserved in Dallas! I CARE!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
That's my point...he (perhaps) didn't know anything then
and can't disclose anything now...

Better to say nothing

Reaction Score
Hope everyone gets better. I do. But me knowing more or even less isn't going to change the timeline of their recovery. And I get that some fans...want to know...for whatever reason. I just have a hard time watching folks not accepting that they aren't entitled to know ...and just leave it at that. I get more than enough excitement from the game and tracking my own ailments. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom