A Sad Day | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Sad Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well alot of disappointed UConn fans looking for answers. Lets face it. We are going through some very tuff times with key players out.

We had no shooters or scorers except Paige. We did alot of passing again and waited for Paige to do something. We have shooters and theyre injured and cant play. Jana's out Azzi's out and both for the year. Caroline I have to wonder if she will be red shirted until she is healthy again. Carolines healthy comes first. Paige looked tired and worn, Griff coming back from her injury needed rest and we had to count on our inexperienced bench who havent had enough yet. No excuses and no blame this is what we have now. Aaliyah couldnt function down low because our opponents the past few games didnt have to guard the perimeter, because nobody was looking to shoot and when they did it didnt go it.

We dont have a recruiting problem we have an injury problem and its been that way for a couple of seasons. The question is when will we be healthy enough to play up to our expectations? I dont know and either do you. Hey we have the shooters and scorers and theyre injured. There has been talk about players going elsewhere. They go elsewhere because they want to play and not sit the bench behind Paige Azzi and Caroline. Thats reasonable. Yeah there is alot more talent in WCBB. We have some of the best of the best and theyre sitting. Another point some of you are talking about getting big and replacements for Dorka. That was Jana and shes out for the year. We have all the talent and players we need unfortunately theyre injured.

Some of your posts really make me angry and I know they make others angry because I talk to enough people. You have a right to be upset but lets not blame the coaches or players out of anger. We are not the team we thought we would be because we have KEY Players out or coming back from injury. We are once again a team of injuries to key players. One thing I will say is we have to do a better job of guarding the perimeter. We left players wide open yesterday and we did that in the NC State game. Can you imagine if they left Paige Azzi and Caroline open.

Hey we are what we are right now. Im sad, very sad but this is what it is. We will have to deal with it. Looking to next season will Azzi Caroline Jana and Yanna be heathly? Will Paige Nika Griff and Aaliyah come back and if they do what happens to those kids who have been waiting for their time to shine. Another important question is how much longer will Geno and Chris be around?????

Some of you think things are bad now and they certainly arent pretty but consider this. If we get healthy next season what will we look like? Yeah I know thats a big IF. Our girls Im sure are not happy but they need us now more then ever. Our injured cant do anything to help us. Our newbies can only continue to be developed. Some are injured, some are not fully healed, some will sit out this season not knowing what next season has in store for them and we as fans need to understand they could use some encouragement and support. Theyre still our girls and UConn is still our program and even though we are going through tuff times the past 3 years we cant give up on them. They need us now be there for them.
A lot of BoneYarders agree that INJURY is the problem. Between tough-opponent scheduling and hard and frequent practices there should either be a RELAX either one of them OR BOTH. It appears the wisdom of LSU coach to schedule a much softer scheduling which many BYder love to ridicule at.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
A lot of BoneYarders agree that INJURY is the problem. Between tough-opponent scheduling and hard and frequent practices there should either be a RELAX either one of them OR BOTH. It appears the wisdom of LSU coach to schedule a much softer scheduling which many BYder love to ridicule at.
UConn has lost two games, both are Top 10 teams. NC State was not rated by the pundits who voted on the polls at the beginning of the season, but was rated #8 by Massey, guess he was correct and the others weren't. NC State just gave #3 Colorado a whooping 78 - 60, so that loss UConn had is not as bad as it looks.

It's early and by the time March comes around UConn will be in the Top 10 and be hosting the first two games of the Tournament at Gampel, as long as there are no more major injuries.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Did Geno even try to get Cardoso?
Boston attended alot of UConn games It was thought she would come to UConn.. she didnt. Cardoso was thought to come to UConn when leaving Cuse she didnt. Many years ago Maryland was not a competitive team and UConn had a great recruiting class that ended up going to Maryland. Gotta wonder what happened???????????

Reaction Score
This team has enough depth and talent that the loss of Azzi and Ducharme should be absorbed without such a dramatic loss in the quality of play. I know it’s still November, but “somethin’ ain’t right”.
I haven’t seen any discussion about two factors that impacted last nights result. We had 4 players (Brady and 3 fresh) play a total 37 minutes and none of them played in UConn’s complex system last year. Secondly, what do we think the emotional impact might have been to the kids of finding out that Azzi was out for the year earlier this week? And a third of my 2 points - UCLA is experienced and #2 in the country.

I’m certainly worried and upset, but it’s not time to jump off the bridge. Thanks for your thoughts Tony.

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain to me why Q only played four minutes? She is a shooter that isn't afraid to shoot. UConn needed someone else besides Paige to score last night. Edwards was not getting the job done. Sometimes I just don't understand Geno!
She is completely, completely lost on defense!

Reaction Score
for one thing..Look at the games we have been blessed with early in the year and losing Azzi before playing these games is a big disadvantage. I wasn't overly confident we would beat UCLA without a main cog in Azzi.

I remember seeing many boneyarders saying we will be loaded this year and on paper that appeared to be true except that the injury bug reared its ugly head once again and we have to adjust our expectations. Caroline isn't Caroline from before and it shows in her slashing speed.

I am not too upset with the team because with these difficult games early on it is hard to get your footing.

Reaction Score
Boston attended alot of UConn games It was thought she would come to UConn.. she didnt. Cardoso was thought to come to UConn when leaving Cuse she didnt. Many years ago Maryland was not a competitive team and UConn had a great recruiting class that ended up going to Maryland. Gotta wonder what happened???????????
My guess is Brenda Frese and Dawn Staley..Geno isn't the only top notch coach anymore.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I haven’t seen any discussion about two factors that impacted last nights result. We had 4 players (Brady and 3 fresh) play a total 37 minutes and none of them played in UConn’s complex system last year. Secondly, what do we think the emotional impact might have been to the kids of finding out that Azzi was out for the year earlier this week? And a third of my 2 points - UCLA is experienced and #2 in the country.

I’m certainly worried and upset, but it’s not time to jump off the bridge. Thanks for your thoughts Tony.
The girls knew about Azzi's ACL just before the Minny game and thus a lack luster performance. Did it carry over to the UCLA game? That I dont know but something was off.

Reaction Score
It isn’t about writing off the season, it is about some folks finally noticing the long-term trends catching up to the team (as seen in individual game losses). As much as I love watching UConn WBB, the decline has been obvious. The players are still wonderful people and representatives of the college.
Obvious decline??? We got Paige, Fudd, Ducharme, Edwards, Arnold, Shade and a few more, in recent years.

Reaction Score
On this one rare occasion, @Tonyc, I have to disagree. We have both an injury problem and a recruiting problem. It's not as bad as the doom chorus likes to pretend. But the fact is we are losing out on players we used to get. I suspect it's because the landscape has changed, partly because of NIL and the Portal, but also because of social media, which is now much more prevalent in HS kids' lives than it was even 10 years ago.

Geno is old school. He believes in discipline and character development, and that's how he built a dynasty. Personally, I think these are eternal values, and I look at UConn as a last bastion of noble virtues in college sports. I do not want Geno to change anything he's doing. But I also expect that for the next few years, he will be facing a much steeper uphill battle with recruiting, and this will make staying in the NC picture exponentially more difficult.

For whatever reason, teenagers are not as attracted to the idea of UConn team culture as they used to be, and this includes Geno's blunt honesty, CD's emphasis on body language and wearing stockings in public, forbidding tattoos or eyelash extensions, etc. I watched a clip from an interview with Angel and Flau'jae from before their moms' falling out and thought to myself, "these are the role models HS players are being offered by WCBB right now." We can still attract great players like Morgan and Allie (and maybe even Sarah), and this will keep us relevant for the near future. But if, for example, candy doesn't develop as we hope and we don't get the Big O to come to Storrs, it will be a long hard climb to the next few final fours. Geno can bring out the best in players, but he needs to build on a sustained core of talent as well.
That is one insightful description of the near term state of affairs for WBB and UConn that I’ve seen in a long time.

Reaction Score
Recent UConn teams remind me a bit of the recent NY Yankee teams.......... still good enough to consistently make the postseason (until last year's Yankees) with a group of top-level players either getting injured or simply not always playing up to their capabilities in big games leading to losses in the postseason..........at the same time a bunch of historically "lesser" teams have leveled and in some cases surpassed UConn/Yankees in talent and results.........I'd say the same thing has happened on a smaller level to other historically strong teams from Tennessee, Maryland, Louisville, and even Stanford and Notre Dame to a degree...........I also think that male head coaches are not as appealing as they used to be to many top ranked high school recruits........Geno is getting the double whammy because of his age.........don't think for a second that recruiters from other schools don't point out that he may leave the program in the next few years even though we seem certain that he's not going anywhere for a while.............yet all is not lost..........the injury bug has to subside at some point and there are still enough great recruits that still want to be "coached up" by the master to keep UConn as a highly ranked team for as long as Geno is there......

Reaction Score
The girls knew about Azzi's ACL just before the Minny game and thus a lack luster performance. Did it carry over to the UCLA game? That I dont know but something was off.
That was exactly my point when I wrote "somethin' ain't right" in an earlier post. Certainly there have been enough loses over the past five years that we all realize that it is not the end of the world. and the sun comes up the next day. Yes, the level of talent has expanded exponentially across the WCBB landscape, and there are more than just a very small group of teams capable of winning a NC, but what I am watching is not typical UConn basketball. Make excuses all you want, but my eyes see it that way!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If Paige doesn't produce super numbers, this team isn't going to beat the varsity. Just not enough talent.

Reactions: Nev
Reaction Score
It’s not sad, or depressing, or the end of the world. It’s basketball, a game, played by young women running up and down a court throwing a ball through a hoop. They lost a game - no one died.
Well-said. I just returned from a disappointing football loss to an in-state rival. In my younger days I wouldn't have slept the night after a loss like that. Tonight I will sleep fine, the sun will rise tomorrow morning and I (hopefully) will rise with it. And I'll watch "my team" try to throw the ball through a hoop in Texas.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. I don't care if they are getting a free college education and NIL money, they are still kids. Not helpful bashing them. I'm sure the fact that, once agaThain, there are injuries to key players is messing with their heads. Let's give them time to regroup.
That FULL COLLEGE==isn't a gift--few students can take that much work. I'm proud of them. I'm sad for the kids. I'm sad they feel bad over a loss they couldn't effect. Size---in the post size in the forwards --quickness all around--depth --Shooting beyond their peter principle--two players with 5 3's each--come on how many games have they done that??
They watched Uconn Defense as took advantage of it---They sucker the defense in and a 3 shooter would set up and make it. Smart coaching --excellent execution. Not This Uconn Teams fault---3 Stokes and Uconn would have won.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"We don't have a recruiting problem"

I respectfully disagree. Over the past few years, I feel both Kim Mulkey and Dawn Staley have proven to be more effective recruiters. Face facts. Kim Mulkey took a dormant LSU team, and in two years made them Nationl Champs. South Carolina had their starting five drafted by the WNBA, and yet they haven't missed a beat, rising to number 1 again this year.

Now, if Geno had been able to get Cardoso from Syracuse, or Morrow from Depaul, we might be looking at a different scenario, but we didn't.
There are many more good players close to where a lot of rising programs are located than there are close to UConn and more of the players have solid choices close to home. But i think what really had an impact was Aliyah Boston surprisingly spurning UConn for SC. Unprovable, but chances would have been 2 or more NC for UConn and people are still talking about how UConn is bad for the game.

But that’s water under the bridge.and UConn loses some of its luster for some recruits despite continuing to have success other programs would love to have and despite a string of lousy injury luck to key players. The one recruit that hasn’t panned out that probably hurts the most is Amari given the miss on other skilled tall players and with there being no way to know if Jana could fill some of that void. But there was a comment someone made about UConn having become irrelevant. How ridiculoud. Not being dominant is not the same as no longer being in the discussion. Mulkey caught a break when a Utah kid missex two clinching foul shots or Morrow and Van Lith and a few recruits might not have been so quick to go TO. LSU. That’s the way the cookie crumblez.

Reaction Score
"We don't have a recruiting problem"

I respectfully disagree. Over the past few years, I feel both Kim Mulkey and Dawn Staley have proven to be more effective recruiters. Face facts. Kim Mulkey took a dormant LSU team, and in two years made them Nationl Champs. South Carolina had their starting five drafted by the WNBA, and yet they haven't missed a beat, rising to number 1 again this year.

Now, if Geno had been able to get Cardoso from Syracuse, or Morrow from Depaul, we might be looking at a different scenario, but we didn't.
Wow-- talk about Monday Morning QB. You mention post players but disregard Fudd and Ducharme because they are guards? Because if the subject is "recruiting" - overall they were overall higher recruits than Cardoso and Morrow. Fudd was a generational talent ranked 1st in her class while the prior year Cardoso was ranked 5th. And Ducharme was ranked 4th while Morrow was ranked beyond 100 according to Hoopgurlz. How can anyone ignore these facts (not fiction) that Azzi and Caroline have been hurt and as a result how that affects overall team performance?

It sounds like :you want to evalaute post players and everything else be be damned." It's as if you believe Geno should have known that Ice and Patterson were to be hurt when he recruited them. Unless you think it's a failure of his that he should have known all 4 of the UCONN players were going to be hurt?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wow-- talk about Monday Morning QB. You mention post players but disregard Fudd and Ducharme because they are guards? Because if the subject is "recruiting" - overall they were overall higher recruits than Cardoso and Morrow. Fudd was a generational talent ranked 1st in her class while the prior year Cardoso was ranked 5th. And Ducharme was ranked 4th while Morrow was ranked beyond 100 according to Hoopgurlz. How can anyone ignore these facts (not fiction) that Azzi and Caroline have been hurt and as a result how that affects overall team performance?

It sounds like :you want to evalaute post players and everything else be be damned." It's as if you believe Geno should have known that Ice and Patterson were to be hurt when he recruited them. Unless you think it's a failure of his that he should have known all 4 of the UCONN players were going to be hurt?
Morrow is 6-1. She’s listed as a guard on the LSU roster
@Aluminny69

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s not sad, or depressing, or the end of the world. It’s basketball, a game, played by young women running up and down a court throwing a ball through a hoop. They lost a game - no one died.
Things other than death can be sad. Fans are very vested in this team. When the team does poorly, fans feel a little sad. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.

Now on the other hand, the whole "We lost a game! Fire everyone! Send the refs hate mail! Geno's lost it!!" crowd maybe overreacting a bit for my taste.

CL82

Reaction Score
My guess is Brenda Frese and Dawn Staley..Geno isn't the only top notch coach anymore.
He never was, he has just outlasted most of his peers. Tara is still chugging along though.

CL82

Reaction Score
That is one insightful description of the near term state of affairs for WBB and UConn that I’ve seen in a long time.
I don't know that we have a recruiting problem. We continue to get excellent recruits. The problem, in my opinion is that injury to a key player has ripple effects. We lose Jana in our vaunted front court depth disappears. We lose Azzi and our 4 out scheme suffers because we lack enough knockdown perimeter shooters to open up the paint.

We still have enough available talent to be a very good team. Give it time Geno will make adjustments so we're running things that players are more comfortable with. So while it is very sad that Azzi isn't playing, it creates the opportunity for other players to step up, like the wonderful game Aubrey had.

It's all good. Give it time and don't worry about the postseason until we actually get there.

Reaction Score
Morrow is 6-1. She’s listed as a guard on the LSU roster
@Aluminny69
They list her as a gaurd bui do the play her at that spot? P When Edwards came to UCONN she was listed as a guard/forward. She was never a guard. Looking the Colroado game beofre teh tip the have Reese listed as a forward then 4 guards. For talking points - that's not realistic. And when she is playing vs Colorado I briefly looked at teh start- she is looking for the ball with her back to the basket a lot. That's a forward. And they can call Reese a forward if they want but she is guarding the opposing team's center an she is playing mostly inside then she is a center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom