A One Off or the Start of a Trend? | The Boneyard

A One Off or the Start of a Trend?

Reaction Score
LSU will probably end up bowling with all the teams that drop out of bowl season.

Reaction Score
In fairness BC has played in some s*** bowl games over the last few years so taking a pass this time makes some sense. That said If they were having some kind of dream season where they could play in a NY6 Game, I highly suspect that they would find the mental fortitude to soldier on.

Reaction Score
BC, in that article, made a lot of sense to me. Covid has interrupted the other pandemic...football madness.

Reaction Score
They didn't really participate last year either. I think Cincy beat them by 6 touchdowns. I guess they figure it's easier to just end the season.

Reaction Score
Streaky......BC had a good run in the last decade...winning eight bowls in a row from 2000 on...and are now on a streak of seven bowls without a win.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Not surprised what BC is doing, and I'm sure others will follow suit. We all know that these mid tier bowl games have effectively become exhibitions in recent years and from the players perspective, I'm sure they've had enough of daily testing, covid regulations etc. and just want to go home and be with their families.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not surprised what BC is doing, and I'm sure others will follow suit. We all know that these mid tier bowl games have effectively become exhibitions in recent years and from the players perspective, I'm sure they've had enough of daily testing, covid regulations etc. and just want to go home and be with their families.

There's that, plus the "bowl experience" as we know simply won't exist this year. Players can't go out on the town or enjoy much of anything associated with any of the bowls. That's the entire selling point for some bowls (e.g. Sun Bowl). It's no "reward" for their season, just more bothersome.

Reaction Score

Amen.
ESPN/ABC has all the games except the Arizona Bowl on CBSSN. So aren't most bowl games "filler" material for ESPN to make the transition from football to the conference portion of basketball schedules?

Fans of teams on the rise get excited (see UConn beating SC in the Birmingham Bowl) to be in a game against a "name" school, many are in nice locations and host cities go all out to provide a great time and nice gifts to the kids, but what do the games actually do for the vast majority of kids who will never play pro ball?

I can't help being cynical when I hear it said the games are a reward for the kids. Is it? After a month of preseason practices and playing a twelve game season, their reward is a month of extra practices that we hear is great for player development for the next year. And next year begins with winter workouts and the "spring game", followed by summer workouts.

For those in the know, when did football start structured workouts beyond a few weeks of preseason practices?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Amen.
ESPN/ABC has all the games except the Arizona Bowl on CBSSN. So aren't most bowl games "filler" material for ESPN to make the transition from football to the conference portion of basketball schedules?

Fans of teams on the rise get excited (see UConn beating SC in the Birmingham Bowl) to be in a game against a "name" school, many are in nice locations and host cities go all out to provide a great time and nice gifts to the kids, but what do the games actually do for the vast majority of kids who will never play pro ball?

I can't help being cynical when I hear it said the games are a reward for the kids. Is it? After a month of preseason practices and playing a twelve game season, their reward is a month of extra practices that we hear is great for player development for the next year. And next year begins with winter workouts and the "spring game", followed by summer workouts.

For those in the know, when did football start structured workouts beyond a few weeks of preseason practices?
I think the reward for the kids is going to a cool location, they usually get some kind of gift package, but the location doesn't have the same allure this year to say the least

Reaction Score
You know I'm going to try to spin this positively. This can give us a postseason with just the playoff games and the NY6 bowls which could be a pseudo test run for moving away from bowls and actually going to a playoff like literally every other level of college football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom