A NEW JONATHAN | Page 5 | The Boneyard

A NEW JONATHAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know any head football coach that isn't an arrogant . Some just hide it better than others.

Reaction Score
t1_cover.jpg

The red has been with us for at least 15 years. UCONN 1999 National Champs.

Reaction Score
So I go into the Westside Palm for lunch (lots of SB traffic). Sit at the bar - talking to my guy there...this guy comes up next to me. Here is the conversation pretty much verbatim:

Guy: Huskies? (I'm wearing my wordmark UCONN pullover with "Huskies" on the back)
J: Yes - UCONN
Guy: What do you do?
J: Blah blah blah (I think he was fishing to see whether I was in the football business)
Guy: I think Paul got a bum rap up there.
J: He didn't produce. UCONN needs to win. End of story.
Guy: Still - I know him - he needed more time.
J: IMO - I think his biggest issue was trying to run his stuff with the wrong kids. For example, zone blocking (talked about this for a minute or two).
Guy: Well - I'm pretty close to GDL - he is a hell of a coach. Edsall left the team in a mess - what were you expecting? And btw - I have been an OL coach in college. Anyone can learning to zone block - maybe you didn't have the horses).
Guy: BTW - Diaco is an arrogant pri*k. Don't know how that will work out.
J: Clearly the book is open on him, but like the energy, etc.
Guy: Says something about Michigan State (think he is an alum). Then has to run.

My main takeaway (and I've said this many times based on my conversations with people across the country):

- Most people that don't actually know anything about UCONN football don't respect it, so they just assume if a coach that they respect fails, it is the school/talent/etc that is the problem and not the guy.
- Which is also why you were never going to get FSU/Clemson/etc to get us to believe UCONN is credible in football regardless of what kind of marketing campaign an AD may or may not have done.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
- Which is also why you were never going to get FSU/Clemson/etc to get us to believe UCONN is credible in football regardless of what kind of marketing campaign an AD may or may not have done.
Thanks interesting post. I disagree regarding the quote above though. The narrative on UConn pre-Pasqualoni was of an impressive rising program. No one was looking for us to win a NC (obviously) but I think the take was that UConn had come a long way since joining BCS football. Pasqualoni squashed that narrative, so Diaco starts back at square one, maybe at square negative one.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So I go into the Westside Palm for lunch (lots of SB traffic). Sit at the bar - talking to my guy there...this guy comes up next to me. Here is the conversation pretty much verbatim:

Guy: Huskies? (I'm wearing my wordmark UCONN pullover with "Huskies" on the back)
J: Blah blah blah (I think he was fishing to see whether I was in the football business)
J: IMO - I think his biggest issue was trying to run his stuff with the wrong kids. For example, zone blocking (talked about this for a minute or two).
Guy: Well - I'm pretty close to GDL - he is a hell of a coach. Edsall left the team in a mess - what were you expecting? And btw - I have been an OL coach in college. Anyone can learning to zone block - maybe you didn't have the horses).
Guy: Says something about Michigan State (think he is an alum). Then has to run.

My main takeaway (and I've said this many times based on my conversations with people across the country):

- Most people that don't actually know anything about UCONN football don't respect it, so they just assume if a coach that they respect fails, it is the school/talent/etc that is the problem and not the guy.

The guy just had a beef. He sought you out because he wanted to air it.

Reaction Score

Dude - we're arguing over whether or not the new puppy should look like a husky or not. LOL.

Until UCONN wins, and wins regularly, and wins vs. big name programs, and wins big name bowl games, and gets some people out in front of the cameras regularly talking about how good the program is.....which ideally is the head coach.......... the respect nationally won't be there from the kinds of guys you just described. This isn't earth shattering news. The funny thing about people that really get after how Edsall built this program, and this and that, how much better we were then.........is that the guy, basically destroyed any national perception of the program positively that he had built, over 12 years, in less than 24 hours a little over 3 years ago. Rome wasn't built in a day, but you can blow it all to bits really quick.

It's not how he left the guys on the tarmac and broke the news over the phone, or lying to the AD, or standing up Jordan Todman, or anything like that I will never forgive him for - it's for getting UCONN to the biggest stage of college football there can be. New Year's Day bowl game, primetime television, national TV vs. a program like Oklahoma - and then leaving in the middle of the night for a "dream job". No college football fan/or coach of nationally relevant programs is going to look at UCONN like a major program after what Randy did. Maryland? A dream job? After going to the Fiesta Bowl with UCONN?

THe AD, the athletic department in general, marketing promotions, etc. at the time - clueless - but that is all secondary, because the head coach is the guy in front of the cameras doing the interviews.

Saint Randy, on the biggest stage that the program had ever been, cast everything he had built, in the public court of perception nationally, back down among the heathens. On purpose or not, got to ask him. Whatever. duck him. Pisses me off.

We got to win again, and do better with publicity/media in the future. That's all.

Reaction Score

You're a better man than I am. How old was this guy?

You're not wrong about people's perception of UConn, but I think the guy's reaction was more along the lines of the Lou Marinelli's of the world. The coaching fraternity is a tight knit group. The good ole boys club to which Diaco does not yet belong.

Reaction Score
http://Post original url/1d6ZgMJ

RETURNING to our ROOTS..... We all need to welcome the new PUP....
BACK TO THE FUTURE: WELCOME JONNY !!!!!!!!!!!!
hope to see you at the Rent and Gampel

Reaction Score
Thanks interesting post. I disagree regarding the quote above though. The narrative on UConn pre-Pasqualoni was of an impressive rising program. No one was looking for us to win a NC (obviously) but I think the take was that UConn had come a long way since joining BCS football. Pasqualoni squashed that narrative, so Diaco starts back at square one, maybe at square negative one.

Who's narrative? I'm not trying to be difficult, but unless we played a team and beat them (ND, SC, etc) I've never heard anything about UCONN football that was more than "good for you" and the equivalent of a pat on the head. Much like Boise got and still gets.

Reaction Score

You're not wrong about people's perception of UConn, but I think the guy's reaction was more along the lines of the Lou Marinelli's of the world. The coaching fraternity is a tight knit group. The good ole boys club to which Diaco does not yet belong.

I have yet to meet Diaco, but so far this guy.......Jimmy I think you hit the nail on the head........Diaco is the kind of guy, that in my mind, probably scares the hell out the majority of old time football coaches, because they know they can lose their jobs to young guys like him very easily....although none would ever admit it! Chances are that in 25 years, Diaco, will be the kind of coach calling a 40 year old hair on fire go-getter......an arrogant .

Reaction Score

Early to mid 50s it looked like. I'm not small and he was a good 20% bigger than me.

Reaction Score

Did you mention to him we have a new puppy?

Reaction Score
Did you mention to him we have a new puppy?

LOLOL. That's the best laugh I've gotten out of the boneyard in a while. Picturing two guys in an NYC bar - it was NYC right? talking UCONN football, as noted, and JMoney - responds....

"Yeah, well...look at this pic of our new puppy!"

LOL.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
J187Money said:

Anyone else feel the urge to reach into the screen to choke that guy.

J gets a demerit for not punching the guy in the throat, on principle.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
The white Husky has been part of UConn's identity. Throwing it away as Warde has done is like some new CEO deciding that Nike ought to go with 4 stripes rather than its traditional swoosh. Won't be able to distinguish it from Adidas, but so what? Its new. So it must be better...And J187Money, I've laid out many times why I think Warde is a terrible AD. I'd prefer an AD who is competent and also understands that there is value in maintaining tradition. In Warde's view, anything pre-Warde is irrelevant.

When it's all said and done, it won't shock me if Warde is in fact viewed historically (including by many here) as a subpar to terrible AD, but it won't be because of the rebranding. The rebranding is one of the very best initiatives undertaken on his watch, I mean, monitoring.

Reaction Score
LOLOL. That's the best laugh I've gotten out of the boneyard in a while. Picturing two guys in an NYC bar - it was NYC right? talking UCONN football, as noted, and JMoney - responds....

"Yeah, well...look at this pic of our new puppy!"

LOL.

That would have been funnier. Especially since the guy had the persona of Dan Lauria in the Wonder Years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom