A NEW JONATHAN | Page 6 | The Boneyard

A NEW JONATHAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1 - I am hoping for the day to arrive where our biggest concern is the coloring of our official mascot. So does everybody else.

2 - If this was done to line Nike's pockets won't our pockets also get lined in the process?

3 - I spent quite a bit of time travelling for business in the 1990's where I had to explain to people that our Husky mascot was not really a Samoyed. The only reason I did not need to do this in the 1980's was that few people outside of the northeast had any clue as to what UConn's mascot was. I see all of this as progress. They could have simplified this by merely finding a breeder that breeds actual pure white huskies. I'm sure there have to be more than a few cute little all white husky puppies in North America...... somewhere. I'm still trying to figure out what was so wrong with the old logo that it needed to be changed in the first place. Nike couldn't work with what was there? They couldn't have taken that Oregon feather on the shoulder pads concept and do something creative with fur instead? They couldn't have made uniforms that faded from dark blue to white in some unique, cool pattern.. or vice versa? They couldn't have taken the name UCONN and made it 3 dimensional on the sides of the helmets? Or made the helmets a dark blue chrome color with a whiteish chrome color UCONN logo? Or a dark blue chrome colored helmet with the old husky logo(chromed) on the side?

4 - As far as traditional rivals. When we joined the Big East we flushed our traditional rivals (at least as far as men's hoops was concerned) down the toilet. I don't know of anyone complaining about that move today (although there were quite a few during the Perno years who openly stated we were in over our heads in the BE and should drop down to again play UNH, URI and UMass regularly). Outside of what amounts to slightly less than 30% of our men's hoops history (our time in the BE) we really don't have traditional rivals who we should be playing regularly (I could argue Cuse in football in hoops although they don't want to). That 30% represents 100% of UConn's presence on the national stage. Pitt, Cuse, BC, Rutgers became our traditional rivals even though Jim Calhoun would continue to schedule the old rivals from time to time.

5 - We really should wait until a good portion of our fan base understands what our school colors really are before we complain that gray and red do not belong. Looking at the stands in any football or basketball game you would swear that our official color is a rainbow.
Ask most anyone in Connecticut what UConn's school colors are and see what you get for an answer.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ask most anyone in Connecticut what UConn's school colors are and see what you get for an answer.

I'll tell you what, next time I am at an actual game (I go to quite a few home men's hoops games and all home football games) I'll scout the stands and see what that tells me.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Historically, UConn has always had red in our "color package", even if the most dominant colors have been blue and white. I believe it stems back to the fact that we chose the nation's flag as the inspiration for our colors; hence, "national flag blue". <-- Not sure about this

Also, to those that are blaming Warde for the changes, I am nearly positive (and have it on good information) that the changes were made at the BOT / President level.

Take those two things for what they're worth...

EDIT: Apparently, there is more controversy around the colors than I had originally thought. I'm not sure when the red was introduced, as it's not captured in this archive. The choice of shade of blue was not based on the flag (or is not mentioned here), and our blue was fought over in the early days. Also....Harry Potter graduated from UConn in 1896.....HARRY FRIGGIN' POTTER!!!

http://www.uconn.edu/history/yesteryear/archives/traditions/blue_white.php

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As dog lovers our family loves the new one. My main question is if the former all white dog was scary for the children what must they think of our new logo? Created to look more agressive, this over the great smile and tongue hanging out that won 11 national championships.
Told Warde personally our main problem with the football program was lack of tridition and he threw out the first ten years we had. This with the logo and the block "C".

Reaction Score
t1_cover.jpg

The red has been with us for at least 15 years. UCONN 1999 National Champs.
First time I remember seeing red trim in hoops was the Corny Thompson years

th

Reaction Score
FfldCntyFan said:
I'll tell you what, next time I am at an actual game (I go to quite a few home men's hoops games and all home football games) I'll scout the stands and see what that tells me.

Just ignore all of the Whaler jerseys.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was searching for something else and this came up:
th

I started laughing and had to post it.

CL82

Reaction Score
That looks like a facelift gone wrong.
Agree but it cracks me up that Penfield and others on the board weren't the only ones to do this.

Reaction Score
While your there ask some of them what the University of Connecticut's school colors are.

Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:
Anyone else feel the urge to reach into the screen to choke that guy. J gets a demerit for not punching the guy in the throat, on principle.

I had the urge. But I'm a grown up.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While your there ask some of them what the University of Connecticut's school colors are.

You are behaving as if it has been fully accepted by our fan base as a whole that blue and white and only blue and white are appropriate as our school colors. If this were the case then yes, you would have a point and there would (and should) be outrage over this move. The reality is that very few members of our fan base have accepted this and some that have really do not care that much about it. You are making too big of a deal about this. This isn't Nebraska (Big Red) becoming red, white and blue. If we had strung together decades of sellouts where the crowd was a sea of blue then you would have a point. With what we are as a fan base you are being a bit ridiculous. It would be like Detroit Lion fans complaining when plans were announced that the Pontiac Silverdome was going to be replaced with Ford Field, taking offense to the disregard to tradition with the domed stadium that would be demolished in the process.

I'll wager heavily that from when I began as an undergrad in the late 1970's until at least the mid 1990's, most UConn fans and alumni that I knew were under the impression that red was an accent color and officially our colors were blue with white and red. I also know for a fact that we have used red as an accent color on and off from at least the time I began as an undergrad (the same freshman year as Corny Thompson).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Back in the day Joe D would always kick off games on the radio saying something like "Here are your UCONN Huskies, trimmed in red, white and national flag blue..."

Reaction Score
Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Agree but it cracks me up that Penfield and others on the board weren't the only ones to do this.

They may have also done it, but the image will STILL continue to be known as "The Penfield Design". Any other non-Boneyard imposter on the net will have to meet the burden of proof that he / she made the design first... ;)

CL82

Reaction Score
They may have also done it, but the image will STILL continue to be known as "The Penfield Design". Any other non-Boneyard imposter on the net will have to meet the burden of proof that he / she made the design first... ;)
...or the PD Husky for short?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The good ole boys club to which Diaco does not yet belong.

Not just that, it's a club that does not care for what's best for the UConn team. Their opinions should be taken only as a source of humor.

Reaction Score
I was searching for something else and this came up:
th

I started laughing and had to post it.
That logo design is actually not bad. Would have worked very well, in my opinion.

CL82

Reaction Score
That logo design is actually not bad. Would have worked very well, in my opinion.
Yep, the Penfield version was better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom