A new announcing crew! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A new announcing crew!

How long will it take before certain Boneyarders start complaining about the broadcast crew?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure any of the Women's announcers get paid enough by ESPN to justify an 'exclusive' deal with the network - it is part time work so they probably can take non-conflicting jobs on other networks. Not saying this for all of them - the ones that do other work besides WBB probably are 'exclusive'.
On the 'never gets stale' - I agree for the PbyP but the color ... hearing the same descriptions of a Uconn defensive set 10 times a year, no matter how informative can get boring/stale. It is a really tough job because you can't help but fall into certain patterns. Sometimes it becomes your 'signature' sometimes it is just gets monotonous.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The issue has never been the who but simply what they do or don't do with the broadcasting teams. As others have said the lack of quality PxP is the first problem and the one needing to be addressed by whoever covers the game. I will gladly welcome Eric Frede if he is one of the PxP announcers. He sticks to getting the details announced and accurate regarding substitutions, fouls, etc.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I thought I heard Bob P before on SNY calling a men's game

Right you are - Bob P does the UC men's games on SNY. Becca has done Sun games that were not on ESPN, too. I am hoping to see Eric get some time, he was really good. And Kara Lawson would be a welcome addition as well.
I think that many of these announcers can freelance from ESPN as long as there is no conflict with the "world-wide leader"'s schedule....

Reaction Score
Right you are - Bob P does the UC men's games on SNY. Becca has done Sun games that were not on ESPN, too. I am hoping to see Eric get some time, he was really good. And Kara Lawson would be a welcome addition as well.
I think that many of these announcers can freelance from ESPN as long as there is no conflict with the "world-wide leader"'s schedule....

Perhaps on the freelancer announcers like Picozzi.
But studio people like Lawson & Lobo are not likely freelancers.

Also keep in mind that it's only been in the past 6 months that Comcast has formalized its intent to challenge ESPN, by rebranding the "NBC Sports network" etc. Things may start to get more contentious between the two.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Perhaps on the freelancer announcers like Picozzi.
But studio people like Lawson & Lobo are not likely freelancers.

Also keep in mind that it's only been in the past 6 months that Comcast has formalized its intent to challenge ESPN, by rebranding the "NBC Sports network" etc. Things may start to get more contentious between the two.

Is Picozzi freelancing for everyone? He also does radio work for ESPN radio.

Not saying you are wrong, and of course it could change, but I have seen both Becca and Kara L. doing work on stations that are not ESPN.

Reaction Score
They should have a former UConn player be part of the crew, Meghan or Kara, becuase they KNOW whats its like to play for Geno, know the history of the program, and can add very interesting info on whats its like to be a UCONN player etc. Having some other media types doing the games will not be as interesting.
I think Meghan and Kara do a WONDERFUL JOB and don't want to lose either of them.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is possible that ESPN, also, sells "production services" such as production of game coverage and uses their available talent to do the coverage for those games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mike Gorman works for the Celtics so he'll be too busy.

No way ESPN allows Rebecca Lobo. And I doubt she'd give up that job.

Gorman was great when he had the job before. A true pro. And I bet Lobo could have the job if offered. Big-time ESPN announcers like Mike Breen and Dave O'Brien are allowed to do local gigs. But Lobo is a pretty dull listen. The status quo is fine.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Gorman was great when he had the job before. A true pro. And I bet Lobo could have the job if offered. Big-time ESPN announcers like Mike Breen and Dave O'Brien are allowed to do local gigs. But Lobo is a pretty dull listen. The status quo is fine.

I agree... jokes too much IMO (but at the same time I guess that makes her feel comfy)

Reaction Score
I agree... jokes too much IMO (but at the same time I guess that makes her feel comfy)
I love Rebecca's sideline reporting, but when she is at courtside calling the game, she seems to give the impression that she tries too hard to NOT favor UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think both Kara and Doris Burke have done men's games on SNY.

That's because SNY picked up a ESPN 3 broadcast. Unless we hear otherwise, ESPN is not a part of this project. Do not expect to see the games on ESPN3. Do not expect ESPN braodcast personalities to announce the games.

/end bubble bursting

Reaction Score
They should have a former UConn player be part of the crew, Meghan or Kara, becuase they KNOW whats its like to play for Geno, know the history of the program, and can add very interesting info on whats its like to be a UCONN player etc. Having some other media types doing the games will not be as interesting.
I think Meghan and Kara do a WONDERFUL JOB and don't want to lose either of them.
I agree they bring knowledge of the UConn environment, what it is like to play for Geno, etc. But on the flip side, this is the very reason why they so frequently struggle to actually call the game. Too much familiarity leads to lapsing into anecdotes that can ramble on seemly without end while the game is happening right in front of them. And people like Rebecca, who is VERY good, sometimes tries so hard not to show her UConn bias that it almost comes off like she is fawning all over the other team.

If UConn is trying to market the team to a broader viewing base, SNY needs to find a team that can bring the right mix. Fill in dead ball time with short and interesting tid-bits that add some human interest to the players, but still manage to professionally call the game without excessive "oh-HO-HOs and hee-hee-hees! Don't get me wrong, I love Meghan. But sometimes her over exuberance and giddiness got on my nerves.

Reaction Score
I agree they bring knowledge of the UConn environment, what it is like to play for Geno, etc. But on the flip side, this is the very reason why they so frequently struggle to actually call the game. Too much familiarity leads to lapsing into anecdotes that can ramble on seemly without end while the game is happening right in front of them. And people like Rebecca, who is VERY good, sometimes tries so hard not to show her UConn bias that it almost comes off like she is fawning all over the other team.

If UConn is trying to market the team to a broader viewing base, SNY needs to find a team that can bring the right mix. Fill in dead ball time with short and interesting tid-bits that add some human interest to the players, but still manage to professionally call the game without excessive "oh-HO-HOs and hee-hee-hees! Don't get me wrong, I love Meghan. But sometimes her over exuberance and giddiness got on my nerves.
I hope all the anti Bob & Megan don't want to eat their words if we get some of the many really bad announcers, I've heard this past year

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like the idea of a rotating crew:
• play-by-play is from rotating crew of HuskyNan, alexrgct, vowel guy and ericsandiego
• color is a rotating team of icebear, doggydaddy, oldcoach and MilfordHuskey
• the only permanent member is tonyc who does the sideline reporting every game
Heck, I'd pay double my annual CPTV pledge for that entertainment package.
Very funny. Actually, Tony has been working the sidelines for years. :)

Reaction Score
I hope all the anti Bob & Megan don't want to eat their words if we get some of the many really bad announcers, I've heard this past year
Nope. I will just flip over to WTIC to listen to the radio broadcast while I watch the game :)

Reaction Score
As far as contractual issues, Rebecca did Sun games when they were on Channel 20, definitely not an ESPN outlet. So clearly there's some flexibility in her contract there. Unfortunately Gorman already has a very high-profile and well-paying winter gig. Megan did well with Eric the times I heard them broadcast together. There's really nothing wrong with either Bob or Megan, as was shown when they each worked games with different people this past season, it's just that they got too comfortable, too used to one another, and the result went beyond stale to deteriorating quality of broadcast. I have to admit though that I think that Bob and LaChina could be an outstanding team.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As far as contractual issues, Rebecca did Sun games when they were on Channel 20, definitely not an ESPN outlet. So clearly there's some flexibility in her contract there. Unfortunately Gorman already has a very high-profile and well-paying winter gig. Megan did well with Eric the times I heard them broadcast together. There's really nothing wrong with either Bob or Megan, as was shown when they each worked games with different people this past season, it's just that they got too comfortable, too used to one another, and the result went beyond stale to deteriorating quality of broadcast. I have to admit though that I think that Bob and LaChina could be an outstanding team.
not the #6 block shot leader in "Wake Forest" history :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Personally I really hope they hire Bob and Meghan - just to twist some skivives here.
I voted one game, but I really think it will be less than 4 minutes. :)

Reaction Score
As far as contractual issues, Rebecca did Sun games when they were on Channel 20, definitely not an ESPN outlet.

As I've said, big difference between allowing your talent to work for a small, local provider vs the network that is trying to challenge your national dominance.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
As I've said, big difference between allowing your talent to work for a small, local provider vs the network that is trying to challenge your national dominance.

Herbst is looking to advance UCONN...that is her job.

Reaction Score
I just wish whoever they get would call the game. Things like who just subbed in, what the whistle was for. Even telling me which player has the ball is often helpful. I really don't need to be told the favorite color of the second grade teacher of the mother of player x (not to be confused with Xavier McDaniels) or even where the announcing crew had dinner last night. JUST CALL THE GAME. Even though TV is a visual medium, the cameras only catch so much. The announcing crew can provide real value by telling us what we don't see (clearly). Otherwise, they are just noise.
(With that said, the color commentary can add greatly be reminding us of things such as a players past performance at the free throw line and/or telling us why a particular offensive or defensive effort worked or didn't work)
If the announcing crew did these things, what can possibly get stale?
If they "JUST CALLED THE GAME", even blowouts are interesting as we can become students of the game.
Here you go Tiff takes the ball out of bounds , passes to Caroline, caroline dribbles 5 times then passes on the wing to Kaleena,
are you kidding ? It's visual and I for one of many, enjoy getting inside news from behind the scenes, especially in a blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom