A lot more good than bad tonight.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A lot more good than bad tonight....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The good news is that the players who didn't play well in this game wee players who have played well in the past against quality competition. I am confident that they will play well again. Kind of nice for the others that in a game in which Kia struggled, Gabby had foul issues and Lou's shot was off, that they could contribute to pulling out a win.
Saniya looked good and I hope she can keep her confidence and that more people can remember how to spell her name! (Really. She's a senior, you have had time to learn it!)

Reaction Score
What we've been worried about since graduation last year...size. This year's team is most effective in the open court, but can't play that game without clean rebounds. The problem is that the players who do best in the open court--Gabby and Pheesa--also have to do the defensive rebounding and so get hung up underneath. I still wonder why Kyla never got into the game....Not that she would have made a big difference, just that she gives them some size underneath while also offering good offensive flexibility.

Reaction Score
Eric - - I totally agree. Definitely a potentially very good team in "transition" with growing pains, and during that time we should not exceed our expectations for wins. Geno has laid out a really, really tough non-conference schedule which will have a lot of bumps and bruises but will also serve to make them better in the long run. Keep the faith!

Reaction Score
Lest we forget that Fla State was missing their el primo player and we won by a whisker. Not sure if the result would have been the same if she was on the court. In any case, this will definitely be an educational experience for the newbies. (and vets!)

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The biggest issue as Doris Burke repeatedly pointed out was Connecticut stunning lack of size and their lack of defensive intensity in the man-to-man, but this had to be expected with the firepower that they lost. BTW, is Doris Burke related to Shakayla Thomas? There were plenty of encouraging signs for UConn in their first post-Big 3 test, Napheesa Collier is a baller, you can see the difference when she's healthy, Gabby Williams is under-sized and though her athleticism is world-class, she's still only 5'11", Natalie Butler has worked her ass off and will be a force for this team, KLS will be the star everyone predicted she'd be she's expanding her offensive game and her defense is much better, her length at the top of the zone in the 2nd half bothered FSU, Kia needs to just settle down and play her game she's not going to replace Stewie, Tuck and Mo by herself. Connecticut is going to lose some games this season, more than a few given their schedule, but what I saw was good and will get better. Geno doesn't really care about what happens in November, only Kim Mulkey and Joanne P. McCallie are obsessed with winning November.

Reaction Score
Some might say that UConn was lucky to win. But I say this luck was made in Storrs. There was nothing lucky about the final 12 seconds. I think the lineup in the final seconds might tell us more than the starting lineup does: Pheesa, Lou, Nat, Gabby, and Crystal Dangerfield. What’s Geno thinking? No Kia. No Saniya. Clearly our coach has lost his head. It happens to the best. Then Pheesa makes a fantastic block, Crystal Dangerfield grabs the loose ball and is fouled. After making 1 of 2 free throws, 5’6” Crystal Dangerfield races back on defense and leaps two feet up, with a hand up, in front of the FSU shooter, confronting her with an 8ft high barrier, and making her shot extremely difficult. Then Gabby leaps above taller players to gather the final rebound and secure the victory. Geno is so lucky. Second guessing the man is not for amateurs… or pros.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
1. Collier and Lou looked the most primed to be the go to option on offense. Both looked aggressive and like they wanted to take the shot.
2.Chong showed how important senior leadership can be. There was a time in the 4th where her experience and knowledge allowed her to simply get it done.
3. Butler showed good improvement. We need her to be more of a force on the glass.
4. Less than stellar games for Nurse and Williams. Both have the talent and will impact a lot of games.
5. Crystal Dangerfield should earn 20mpg this season
6. This is a team that when all of the starting 5 is playing well, can beat most if not all teams in the country. It will also be a team that when one or two players are playing really poorly, will struggle to win.
7. We showed a ton of heart and grit. This team isn't going down without a fight.
Excellent post, really good stuff.

Reaction Score
I thought that all game the FSU guards out played us, especially on defense. They continually jumped into the passing lanes disrupting our offense. Just like what we saw from UConn last year. But now our ladies seemed intimidated, tentative. Too many passes were weak, uncertain. Then in the last 12 seconds UConn brought the mother-load of defense. Gabby tracked that last rebound like a wide receiver going after the bomb. She gathered the ball at the highest point possible while the beaten FSU player shook her head is frustration. This team will only get better. The glass is 3/4 full.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Some might say that UConn was lucky to win. But I say this luck was made in Storrs. There was nothing lucky about the final 12 seconds. I think the lineup in the final seconds might tell us more than the starting lineup does: Pheesa, Lou, Nat, Gabby, and Crystal Dangerfield. What’s Geno thinking? No Kia. No Saniya. Clearly our coach has lost his head. It happens to the best. Then Pheesa makes a fantastic block, Crystal Dangerfield grabs the loose ball and is fouled. After making 1 of 2 free throws, 5’6” Crystal Dangerfield races back on defense and leaps two feet up, with a hand up, in front of the FSU shooter, confronting her with an 8ft high barrier, and making her shot extremely difficult. Then Gabby leaps above taller players to gather the final rebound and secure the victory. Geno is so lucky. Second guessing the man is not for amateurs… or pros.
check the fouls - Kia amd Chong sitting had nothing to do with a choice by Geno, but with the refs whistles. Otherwise - nice post.

Reaction Score
They televised high school girls basketball in this area until not long ago, and saw Chong play a number of times. What she did last night was just a hint of what she did in high school. The drives, the outside shooting, the passing. Amazing.

She might just reveal her true colors now. With the big three scorers gone, they might just hand her the ball, step back, and watch the Saniya Show!

Reaction Score
Very impressed they won without Gabby most of the game, an off game by Nurse and Lou playing with four fouls!!! This is the first game, so we know they will be much improved as the season progresses

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Having finally gotten to watch the game and aware I do not want to sound like an SEC homer here, I think the REFs did a horrible disservice to both teams, though I think they got more in the heads of the Huskies with phantom calls. They got into kids heads and screwed up the game. Kudos to both teams for playing through The Shirts BS and still representing.

Reaction Score
1. UConn won the game.
2. Natalie played hard and smart and was a positive presence in the first half.
3. Soniya played like the McD AA that she was coming out high school.
4. Team survived early foul trouble and found a rhythm using their bench.
5. Lou, Soniya and Phessa all looked for the ball when the game was on the line.
6. Crystal Dangerfield is going to be a big time player.
7. UConn won the game.

The game you saw from Napheesa Collier was the game that is inside of her--the game she showed Geno in the recruiting process and showed the rest of us 2 years ago in the USA games. This wasn't a break out---it was going back (with a Uconn twist) to what she does best. Same is true of Saniya. Crystal proved she is all she presented to us in HER USA games. Greatness in Crystal, LOU, Napheesa was born in them--Geno will bring it to it's fullest. Natalie Butler showed us fans her best game to date--now build on it.

hey did you know --1 and 7 were a repeat/??
Good posting 4, 1 and 7 were great points.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The game you saw from Napheesa Collier was the game that is inside of her--the game she showed Geno in the recruiting process and showed the rest of us 2 years ago in the USA games. This wasn't a break out---it was going back (with a Uconn twist) to what she does best. Same is true of Saniya. Crystal proved she is all she presented to us in HER USA games. Greatness in Crystal, LOU, Napheesa was born in them--Geno will bring it to it's fullest. Natalie Butler showed us fans her best game to date--now build on it.

hey did you know --1 and 7 were a repeat/??
Good posting 4, 1 and 7 were great points.

Yeah, divots knew. It's how you build a great sandwich; otherwise stuff just falls on the floor. ;)

Reaction Score
What we've been worried about since graduation last year...size. This year's team is most effective in the open court, but can't play that game without clean rebounds. The problem is that the players who do best in the open court--Gabby and Pheesa--also have to do the defensive rebounding and so get hung up underneath. I still wonder why Kyla never got into the game....Not that she would have made a big difference, just that she gives them some size underneath while also offering good offensive flexibility.
You again are right. Rebounding--I believe that in some games, like the FSU, we have to concede some to the opponents size, then find another way of scoring--Now Uconn WBB has the weapons to score from 8, 10, 14, 17 ft on a regular basis--if the selections are good , not rushed within the limits of what is given, no forced shots. The opportunities for the fast break point get limited if you don't rebound.
Dangerfield (Crystal) is a tiny buzz saw, and quick as a flea, she has great instincts, has ice in her veins in crunch time, and can shoot the 3--so Gabby and Napheesa are not alone in running the floor--for that matter Bent showed some ability there.
i too wondered about Kyla not showing in this game--it would appear she could have countered some size

Reaction Score
Yeah, divots knew. It's how you build a great sandwich; otherwise stuff just falls on the floor. ;)
Funny--I knew why every thing was sandwiched between UCONN WON. All the meat, butter, and cheese was being massed together.
I'll be back in 20 minutes --running off to subway.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
running off to subway

Please Broadway NO! All that central kitchen, presliced, pre...pre...pre... will kill you! Why do you think they have all those goopey sauces they want to pour on your sandwich? Oh, you meant the Second Ave. Subway. Whew.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
This game was a nail-biter, and it had me on the edge of my seat. My takeaway from this game was:

UConn will not go down without a fight.
There are 6-8 players on the team, and when 1 or 2 are struggling, the rest of the team will step up.
Crystal; Molly and Kyla will be ok, and be able to contribute. I know Kyla didn't play in this game, but I believe she will play in games.
This will be the first and last game to come down to the wire.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kudos to Saniya for not turning the ball over. Team as a whole could have done better in this regard. Kia and Gabby will find a better balance between being aggressive on defense and getting into foul trouble.

We will get better with each game...
Both Kia and Gabby need to play under control better, on both offense and defense. I think we got called for 4 or 5 charges last night. We definitely need them on the floor, especially Gabby.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Was Saniya an McDs AA? She was a Parade AA and/or a WBCA high school AA, but I don't recall her getting the McDonald's nod...
Saniya was not a McD's AA, but she was a WBCA AA. From her UConn profile:

"Recorded nine points, six rebounds, and four assists at the 2013 WBCA All-American Game in New Orleans." I saw the game and thought she looked good in limited minutes.

"Named the 2012-13 Parade All-American Team's Girls Basketball Player of the Year."

"Honored as the National High School Coaches Association's (NHSCA) national girl's basketball Player of the Year."

"Scored at least 30 points in 51 of her 96 career high school games, tallying 2988 points over her four year career."

Reaction Score
check the fouls - Kia amd Chong sitting had nothing to do with a choice by Geno, but with the refs whistles. Otherwise - nice post.
Their 5th fouls though were intentional. Geno could have used Crystal Dangerfield to make those fouls.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Lest we forget that Fla State was missing their el primo player and we won by a whisker. Not sure if the result would have been the same if she was on the court. In any case, this will definitely be an educational experience for the newbies. (and vets!)

Hard to believe Romero would have had a better game than Brown last nite: 16 pt, 10 rb, 7 asst, 3 st....and xlnt defense

just sayin'

Reaction Score
They televised high school girls basketball in this area until not long ago, and saw Chong play a number of times. What she did last night was just a hint of what she did in high school. The drives, the outside shooting, the passing. Amazing.

She might just reveal her true colors now. With the big three scorers gone, they might just hand her the ball, step back, and watch the Saniya Show!
I know she was hurt last year--and 100000 uC WBB fans were cheering for her--so what took this talent so long to jump out--we've been waiting for this---I guess, i should be pleased it came out now!

Reaction Score
Please Broadway NO! All that central kitchen, presliced, pre...pre...pre... will kill you! Why do you think they have all those goopey sauces they want to pour on your sandwich? Oh, you meant the Second Ave. Subway. Whew.

If I was living in Central Ct I'd get a Grinder in Oakville--the best ever --no production number --each and everyone not exactly like the last one on true home baked Italian loaf sliced down the middle and then loaded plus Italian meats and Italian cheese---it's almost worth the 1000 mile R/t ride just for the "Grinder". With a glass real Italian wine--I would think I was in Little Italy Naugatuck .

I only used the BmT to visit a young woman in middle Village.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom