A little update on our Kiah | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A little update on our Kiah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I recall the boneyard being quite cocky right before Maya's senior year team lost to ND in the final four...don't want to see that result again!

Whatever's going to happen will happen regardless of whether the BY is cocky.
The primary concern this year is injuries. A healthy team will be very very difficult to beat.

Reaction Score
There will be plenty of chances for Kiah to do so. In most of these games, she will play a lot of minutes against overrated opponents (which is just about every conference game).

The issue is not playing time, it's mindset.

Reaction Score
Ok Plotzie..since you are pushing it. I believe in talent, hard work, resilience, and a positive attitude...you can have superficial humility...and I believe in humor, having fun, and summer optimism.

There you have it.

I don't ever question, let alone quarrel with what people "believe". Rather, I endorse the right of every individual to believe whatever s/he chooses to believe for as long as they can.

When it comes to presentation of data, numerical, anecdotal, etc., and when it comes to claims or assertions, that's another story. Like authority, I question claims and assertions and jump right into such forays, come what may.

So, while I don't question a belief in summer fun, or your adherence to the Horatio Alger myth, I do call attention to the tendency towards unsustainable expectations that can make good outcomes seem like bad ones and bad ones seem like catastrophes when they are but temporary setbacks.

Note: the mojo factor involves the ability to enjoy the sport, hail success and be gracious in defeat.

Humility matters.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I don't ever question, let alone quarrel with what people "believe". Rather, I endorse the right of every individual to believe whatever s/he chooses to believe for as long as they can.

When it comes to presentation of data, numerical, anecdotal, etc., and when it comes to claims or assertions, that's another story. Like authority, I question claims and assertions and jump right into such forays, come what may.

So, while I don't question a belief in summer fun, or your adherence to the Horatio Alger myth, I do call attention to the tendency towards unsustainable expectations that can make good outcomes seem like bad ones and bad ones seem like catastrophes when they are but temporary setbacks.

Note: the mojo factor involves the ability to enjoy the sport, hail success and be gracious in defeat.

Humility matters.

I'll try to do better, but I think your horse is too high for me. In the meantime, I'll be the one fantasizing thoughts for a great upcoming season and drinking more than one Teddy Hopper(as if).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Humility matters.

In my opinion, none of what you wrote applies to fans. The team has to say humble. Fans? Not so much.

You seem to be doing plenty of questioning of fans predicting extreme success this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Stef, Stewie, KML might be the best frontcourt in history, backups Kiah, Morgan. Bria, Moriah, Brianna, Chong in the backcourt. Stewie, KML can play at least 3 positions, possible defensive lineup Stef, Morgan, Stewie, KML, Bria would be devastating, and a scoring machine.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with being extremely optimistic about UConn's prospects this upcoming season. The team is as loaded and as battle tested as we've seen in a while. With the departure of Brittney Griner, Stef projects to be the best center in WCBB. KML was at worst the seventh-best player in the country last season. Barring injury, she is a virtual shoe-in for top four with an outside shot at NPOY. Bria can only be better than she was the balance of last season, and if she's "only" as good as she was in the final four rounds, Uconn will be in good shape. Breanna is at worst the second best power forward in the country after Chiney, and the Stef-Stewie frontcourt is devastating. Moriah and Morgan are ridiculously good and should only get better. The only minor question marks are Banks's confidence post-rehab, how good Saniya can be and how soon, and whether Kiah can hit her ceiling. Mind you, none of those things have to turn out to the positive for Uconn to be the prohibitive favorite. Uconn should be better next season. Baylor simply can't replace Griner. Notre Dame still has talent, but they've now gone two consecutive seasons with their roster being progressively depleted of the kids who brought them three straight F4s. Yes, Lloyd and Reimer are good. No, they're not proven yet, especially Reimer. Stanford doesn't have enough Chiney to hang with Uconn. Duke never seems to match up well with Uconn. So who's left? Maryland? Seems doubtful, though possibly the most likely. Tennessee? Probably a top 10 team, but good enough to beat Uconn? Very unlikely. Louisville? Uconn beat them by 33 on a neutral court.

I just don't see who's got the horses to hang with Uconn next season. Anything less than an NC would be a disappointing result, and 39-0 is a reasonable prediction.

Bear in mind that, at this point in 2009, I thought Uconn was the favorite but would miss Renee more than it turned out they did, in 2010 that Uconn would not repeat, in 2011 that Uconn would make the Elite 8, and in 2012 that Uconn would finish runners up to Baylor. In short, I haven't been deliriously optimistic over the summers. This year I am.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with being extremely optimistic about UConn's prospects this upcoming season. The team is as loaded and as battle tested as we've seen in a while. With the departure of Brittney Griner, Stef projects to be the best center in WCBB. KML was at worst the seventh-best player in the country last season. Barring injury, she is a virtual shoe-in for top four with an outside shot at NPOY. Bria can only be better than she was the balance of last season, and if she's "only" as good as she was in the final four rounds, Uconn will be in good shape. Breanna is at worst the second best power forward in the country after Chiney, and the Stef-Stewie frontcourt is devastating. Moriah and Morgan are ridiculously good and should only get better. The only minor question marks are Banks's confidence post-rehab, how good Saniya can be and how soon, and whether Kiah can hit her ceiling. Mind you, none of those things have to turn out to the positive for Uconn to be the prohibitive favorite. Uconn should be better next season. Baylor simply can't replace Griner. Notre Dame still has talent, but they've now gone two consecutive seasons with their roster being progressively depleted of the kids who brought them three straight F4s. Yes, Lloyd and Reimer are good. No, they're not proven yet, especially Reimer. Stanford doesn't have enough Chiney to hang with Uconn. Duke never seems to match up well with Uconn. So who's left? Maryland? Seems doubtful, though possibly the most likely. Tennessee? Probably a top 10 team, but good enough to beat Uconn? Very unlikely. Louisville? Uconn beat them by 33 on a neutral court.

I just don't see who's got the horses to hang with Uconn next season. Anything less than an NC would be a disappointing result, and 39-0 is a reasonable prediction.

Bear in mind that, at this point in 2009, I thought Uconn was the favorite but would miss Renee more than it turned out they did, in 2010 that Uconn would not repeat, in 2011 that Uconn would make the Elite 8, and in 2012 that Uconn would finish runners up to Baylor. In short, I haven't been deliriously optimistic over the summers. This year I am.

Now that is a Teddy Hopper Post.

Reaction Score

Scary part: this post seems wholly reasonable.

A few things:

1. If Chong comes in and does not have freshman jitters, Banks will likely bear the brunt of her minutes.
2. With Stokes/Tuck is the ideal Power/Skill post combo off the bench.
3. The most interesting Xfactor for me is Hartley. If she is good, man this team has got a chance at being up there with the early 2000s crew.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

Since you've proclaimed to be purely analytical.....

When is it you are going to bring us a financial statement for a WNBA team so we can see if the players are underpaid as you have claimed over and over and over.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, none of what you wrote applies to fans. The team has to say humble. Fans? Not so much.

You seem to be doing plenty of questioning of fans predicting extreme success this upcoming season.

I claim fan behavior impacts team outcomes. We're all connected one to the other, thoughts matter and carry energy. Teams that are supported by fans who collectively exude support for their teams have better outcomes than do those teams that are supported by unruly fans.

Sometimes this is tangible, as with the Chicago Cubs, whose fans don't know how to support a winning attitude. Even to and including fan interference causing a Cubs loss. Contrast that with Yankees fan interference benefiting the Yankees.

Last year was a growing experience for the BY because the road to the 8th NC was choppy and uneven. At the beginning of the year high optimism was a common expression. A bit more humility would have suited our cause better.

Let me be clearer. Yes, I claim fan support and the way the support is expressed has an effect on outcomes.

Finally, I will say once again but only this one more time, I have called attention to the hazards of excessive optimism. I don't quarrel with or question posters' desire or fun or need to post that way. They can do so until the cows come home. Doing so, however, results in certain hazards.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Sorry JP...but I don't buy it. Sure fans can add their energy on game night...but the hubris of a fan has nothing to do with the outcome. The players, coaches, referees control the outcome to varying degrees. For example Heather Buck had little effect on the outcome of a game...however, Stefanie Dolson, Maya Moore and Kelly Faris would have different and varying amounts of control on the outcome. Sometimes, unfortunately, a single referee may have influence on the outcome of a game. A coach can make the wrong call or the exactly the right one and completely change the outcome of a game....but the fan's influence is limited to the energy or lack of energy that they can infuse into the game...players from either team can feed off the energy of the fans. My personal optimism and expression of it have absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game. I don't buy into the MOJO nonsense...there are no such thing as basketball Gods looking to get even with a fan base because they brag too much. I, of course think it is poetic justice when an arrogant, boastful fan base gets gotten by the opposition...it can be downright hysterical. I will confess that I have at times resorted to prayer, that God will grant a victory to our girls...but really I know that I believe deep down inside that the Big Fella up there has bigger fish to fry than to decide who wins a college basketball game...but it makes me feel good to do it, so I do it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Jp, If that was the case, then the sox would never have won the World Series back in 2004 to break the curse, since you seem to imply the negative energy helps fulfill negative self fulfilling prophecies. . Chicago had plenty of winning when Jordan was playing for the Bulls. The positive energy and tangible enthusiasm of the Bulls fans should have permeated the Cubs fan base.

You seem to be arguing "mojo", and while I do believe that in our personal lives, we tend to attract the kind of energy we emit, I defy the argument that as a group, the fan base on the BY has even a miniscule impact on the outcome of a season or game. This is not to say that fans at Gampel or the Civic Center, or at a NC game can't help affect the outcome with "home court advantage".

Also, when you speak of humility, implying that more of it would have helped, then you must be stating that we as fans exhibited the opposite of that. Antonyms to humility include arrogance, pretentiousness, and egoism. I would disagree that there was much, if any, of that exhibited on this board last year. I believe there was a plethora of confidence, enthusiasm, excitement, and fearlessness on the board.

Of course, people can believe in anything they want. I just don't believe that our confidence and enthusiasm has any potential hazardous impact on the team. And BTW, we as a group exhibited the same attitude DT's junior year when the team went 39-0. As well as in 2010 when the team went undefeated after winning the NC the prior year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think I will be blamed if they lose because I said they would go undefeated and win by 10+ points every game.
I will blame you. I will hold you personally responsible. It's all on you now.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't buy into the MOJO nonsense...there are no such thing as basketball Gods looking to get even with a fan base because they brag too much.

Oh ye of little faith.

I, of course think it is poetic justice when an arrogant, boastful fan base gets gotten by the opposition...it can be downright hysterical.
poetic justice, mojo gods,....... pretty much the same thing. ;)

Reaction Score
Sorry JP...but I don't buy it. Sure fans can add their energy on game night...but the hubris of a fan has nothing to do with the outcome. The players, coaches, referees control the outcome to varying degrees. For example Heather Buck had little effect on the outcome of a game...however, Stefanie Dolson, Maya Moore and Kelly Faris would have different and varying amounts of control on the outcome. Sometimes, unfortunately, a single referee may have influence on the outcome of a game. A coach can make the wrong call or the exactly the right one and completely change the outcome of a game....but the fan's influence is limited to the energy or lack of energy that they can infuse into the game...players from either team can feed off the energy of the fans. My personal optimism and expression of it have absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game. I don't buy into the MOJO nonsense...there are no such thing as basketball Gods looking to get even with a fan base because they brag too much. I, of course think it is poetic justice when an arrogant, boastful fan base gets gotten by the opposition...it can be downright hysterical. I will confess that I have at times resorted to prayer, that God will grant a victory to our girls...but really I know that I believe deep down inside that the Big Fella up there has bigger fish to fry than to decide who wins a college basketball game...but it makes me feel good to do it, so I do it.

That is a remarkable post. I see nothing in it I would quarrel with. Looking ahead, I expect a lot of easy wins, and a few close games from unexpected sources, like conference foes previously underestimated.

I don't know if players have an interest in reading BY. If I were a player, I would read it. But, like the US military in connection with British newspapers, the team may be forbidden from accessing the BY. If this site is verbotten, then no mojo, pure and simple. But, if they are allowed to visit here, or if they are defiant, then the mojo factor is a force that can work for good or for ill.

Reaction Score
Jp, If that was the case, then the sox would never have won the World Series back in 2004 to break the curse, since you seem to imply the negative energy helps fulfill negative self fulfilling prophecies. . Chicago had plenty of winning when Jordan was playing for the Bulls. The positive energy and tangible enthusiasm of the Bulls fans should have permeated the Cubs fan base.

You seem to be arguing "mojo", and while I do believe that in our personal lives, we tend to attract the kind of energy we emit, I defy the argument that as a group, the fan base on the BY has even a miniscule impact on the outcome of a season or game. This is not to say that fans at Gampel or the Civic Center, or at a NC game can't help affect the outcome with "home court advantage".

Also, when you speak of humility, implying that more of it would have helped, then you must be stating that we as fans exhibited the opposite of that. Antonyms to humility include arrogance, pretentiousness, and egoism. I would disagree that there was much, if any, of that exhibited on this board last year. I believe there was a plethora of confidence, enthusiasm, excitement, and fearlessness on the board.

Of course, people can believe in anything they want. I just don't believe that our confidence and enthusiasm has any potential hazardous impact on the team. And BTW, we as a group exhibited the same attitude DT's junior year when the team went 39-0. As well as in 2010 when the team went undefeated after winning the NC the prior year.

We are in the midst of a dynasty. Thus, it's easy to be humble.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Sometimes this is tangible, as with the Chicago Cubs, whose fans don't know how to support a winning attitude. Even to and including fan interference causing a Cubs loss. Contrast that with Yankees fan interference benefiting the Yankees.

Okay, let's just say you're right, just for a moment.

Those same Cubs fans? Are Bulls fans and Bears fans. Those Red Sox fans that cheered for Boston between 1918 and 2003? Also Celtics fans.

Some Yankees fans were surely Ranger fans, too? Or were they all Islanders fans?

No 49ers fans were also SF Giants fans?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Do we even know for a fact yet that 40-0 is impossible in the AAC this year? Don't forget, Barnum and Baylor's 40-0 stunt was made possible only because of a realignment in the Big12 Circus, if I remember correctly.

I don't recall that it had anything to do with conference re-alignment. The key to a possible 40 win season is being invited to, and winning the pre-season WNIT. The gives you three wins, but counts as only a single game for scheduling purposes.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I claim fan behavior impacts team outcomes.

On some levels, I agree. A quiet crowd at a game can sap a teams will to compete some. Or a loud crowd can bring a team back or spur them on to victory. In person, a big impact. On a message board? Not so much.

We're all connected one to the other, thoughts matter and carry energy. Teams that are supported by fans who collectively exude support for their teams have better outcomes than do those teams that are supported by unruly fans.

Very spiritual. But not very sports related. Good teams have better fan support. They win more and fans like winning. Unruly fans? Not sure what you mean by that. But teams (mostly pro) have fans that boo their own team when they don't perform to their expectations. Again, win you get support. It's not the support that brings the wins.

I have no idea why this is relevant. Are you planning on running on the court to help the team?

Last year was a growing experience for the BY because the road to the 8th NC was choppy and uneven. At the beginning of the year high optimism was a common expression. A bit more humility would have suited our cause better.

Growing experience? I've been here for 15 years. Trust me, last year was no different than other years. Optimism is high every year. Some higher than others. UConn won last year. How could more humility have helped?

Let me be clearer. Yes, I claim fan support and the way the support is expressed has an effect on outcomes.

So, I would think that your complaining pointing out that posters are too optimistic and need more humility would have more negative energy for the team than the unbridaled enthusiasm some fans are showing.

Finally, I will say once again but only this one more time, I have called attention to the hazards of excessive optimism. I don't quarrel with or question posters' desire or fun or need to post that way. They can do so until the cows come home. Doing so, however, results in certain hazards.

Finally, I can only speak for myself, but I don't need anyone calling to my attention any perceived hazards of excessive optimism. On a fan site, I would encourage it. Doing so only results in one thing. Positive energy for the team.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I claim fan behavior impacts team outcomes. We're all connected one to the other, thoughts matter and carry energy. Teams that are supported by fans who collectively exude support for their teams have better outcomes than do those teams that are supported by unruly fans.

Plotzer…It’s one thing to judge the humility level of various BoneYard posters, another to needlessly schlep innocent and humble cows into the discussion.

Take that to The BovineYard.

Sheesh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member