A little update on our Kiah | The Boneyard

A little update on our Kiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
A friend of mine from Iowa knows that I love UConn basketball and sent me these links. It appears that Miss Kiah has been working on her game over the summer. Just thought the Boneyarders would want to see these links. As many on this site have stated, Kiah is a huge key for us next season and I'm glad to know she is working to get better (at least offensively). By the way...She's such a pretty girl with a great smile. I loved how she described Geno....not sure about the "I love him to death" part Lol...

Apparently she was matched up against Morgan Johnson - (U. of Iowa's premier post player.) It sounded like Kiah pretty much held Morgan in check who I think had a decent year for the Hawkeyes last season.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2013/06/27/Sports/33718.html

http://www.cbs2iowa.com/sports/features/sports/stories/raw-uconns-stokes-game-time-league-313.shtml

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
This is great, and I thought the interviewer asked Kiah some great questions. She seems really happy -- that makes me happy. I think she will be one of the more interesting storylines for next season. I am hoping for good things.

Reaction Score
By the way...She's such a pretty girl with a great smile. I loved how she described Geno....not sure about the "I love him to death" part Lol...

She does have a great smile, doesn't she? Especially when she's talking about the national championship. ;)

And I'm not sure about the "I love him to death part," either.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
From the article on Kia.... "Stokes had 17 points and 15 rebounds in last night’s contest. She was added to Taylor’s and Kayla Timmerman’s squad — coached by Joe Johnston — after the first week when she was finally sure that she would be able to play in the summer league. “Working out on your own is one thing, but playing good 5-on-5 is way different,” Stokes said. “I’m trying to get my confidence back, and ultimately get more minutes up at UConn, and you got to start somewhere.” Johnson, the one true center on her squad, was matched up with UConn basketball player — and former Linn-Mar standout — Stokes, who held the former Hawkeye to just 3 rebounds on the night."

Morgan Johnson is a 6'5" center from Iowa. She lead the team in points (14.4 per) and rebounds (7.5 per) her Senior year. She started 129 of 130 career games. She scored in double digits 25 of 34 games this past season. She was second team All-Big Ten. IMO this is great news for Kia and UConn..... Go Huskies...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
With her swatting skills, I am not worried.
Well, by your logic, apparently flies should be! ;)

Thanks for the link, Pup. Glad to see Kiah working on her game, but also working on her mindset. She mentioned that she was known as a scorer in high school, and she wants to get back to that which means being more aggressive and looking to score more.

I'm sure we could start a whole thread on it, but the two people I'm looking to see the most "improvement" from regarding last season to the upcoming season are Kiah and Moriah. It's not that either played poorly, it's just that i think Kiah will really come into her own this season, and Moriah will exhibit the largest freshman/sophomore jump of the terrific trio...

HGN

Reaction Score
Thanks Pup............I was wondering what Kiah was doing during the off season. Glad to see she playing and working on her game. This can only help her. Seemingly many of the squad is doing something to help their game. From playing USA Basketball , to individual workouts , to re-habbing.

This is good news for her and for UConn.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Sounds like she has the right attitude - with that, anything is possible. Without that, there is nothing :)

You go girl!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I was thinking the other day that it will be hard to keep this team under 90 points this season.

1. League play will not be as competitive as it was in the former Big East.

2. With only nine players there will be very little drop off in play and Geno will always have at least one starter on the floor. But seriously, if Geno starts Dolson, Stewart, KML, Hartley and Jefferson. How in the world are teams going to stifle Tuck, Stokes, Banks and Chong and one of the starting five. UConn is going to be an offensive juggernaut.

3. Defensively UConn will give other teams fits which will lead to offense at the other end.

4. Taking "the foot off the gas" will be by degree. What Geno will qualify as taking the foot of the gas will more than likely make for a miserable evening for opposing teams.

5. Kiah Stokes' renewed commitment to her offense will just exacerbate the situation.

6. The sophmore jump exhibited by Tuck, Stewart and more importantly Jefferson will only exacerbate the situation further.

7. If Saniya Chong lives up to her billing this team could be the best offesive team in UConn history.

So, here is the dilemna for other teams: How are they going to keep UConn under 90 points?

KML - Best Shooter in WCBB 2012 - Present

Stefanie Dolson - Best Center in WCBB 2013-14

Bria Hartley - Tweeted she is feeling no ill effects of her injury from last summer, expects to be 100 percent - 2013-14

Breanna Stewart - Best Power Forward in WCBB - 2013-14

Moriah Jefferson - Most improved point guard in WCBB - 2013-14

Brianna Banks - 100 percent and ready to go in 2013-14

Morgan Tuck - The world of WCBB has not yet seen what Morgan can do...she will absolutely impress and amaze in 2013-14

Kiah Stokes - The "X" factor...if she plays to her potential in 2013-14...she will give a new meaning to the expression "Oh my God!"

Saniya Chong - A under-rated recruit, who has a tremendous work-ethic...who can flat out shoot the basketball, who is unselfish (averaged 9 assists per game) and who is extremely quick with the basketball. She will contribute this season and will help Kiah Stokes define the above listed expression...

UConn will be a defensive nightmare for teams next year. You will have 6'5" Dolson at the 5; 6'4" Stewart at the 4; 6'0" KML at the 3; Bria Hartley at the 2 and Moriah Jefferson at the 1. Then you have the luxury of bringing in 6'3" Kiah Stokes; 6'2" Morgan Tuck; the very quick and explosive Brianna Banks and the newbie Saniya Chong...no, dead wood during garbage time...

Offensively this team will be off the charts...consider that with only 9 players that Geno is going to have to play some of the starters for most of the game. He will always have at least one starter on the floor. It is going to be very difficult to keep this team under 80 points.

KML - 2012 season - 17.6 points 2013 - 20 points
Stewart - 2012 season - 13.8 points 2013 - 18 points
Dolson - 2012 season - 13.6 points 2013 - 15 points
Hartley - 2011 season - 14 points; 2012 - 9.2 points; 2013 - 14 points
Banks - 2012 season - 7.3 points; 2013 - 8 points
Tuck - 2012 season - 6.4 points; 2013 - 8 points
Jefferson - 2012 season - 4.1 points; 2013 - 7 points
Stokes - 2012 season - 2.8 points; 2013 - 5 points
Chong - 5 points (Jefferson averaged 4.1, Chong is much more offensively gifted)

Ruh oh...Reorge...that adds up to 100 points...there may not be enough basketballs to go around for this bunch....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
cf, with Chong you forgot and can dribble, shoot and drive with either hand.

Reaction Score
Big start on a NC for 2014-15 if Kiah is the player we all think and hope she can be.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
woo-hoo, Kiah you go girl!
Huskypup, thanks for posting!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I was thinking the other day that it will be hard to keep this team under 90 points this season.

1. League play will not be as competitive as it was in the former Big East.

2. With only nine players there will be very little drop off in play and Geno will always have at least one starter on the floor. But seriously, if Geno starts Dolson, Stewart, KML, Hartley and Jefferson. How in the world are teams going to stifle Tuck, Stokes, Banks and Chong and one of the starting five. UConn is going to be an offensive juggernaut.

3. Defensively UConn will give other teams fits which will lead to offense at the other end.

4. Taking "the foot off the gas" will be by degree. What Geno will qualify as taking the foot of the gas will more than likely make for a miserable evening for opposing teams.

5. Kiah Stokes' renewed commitment to her offense will just exacerbate the situation.

6. The sophmore jump exhibited by Tuck, Stewart and more importantly Jefferson will only exacerbate the situation further.

7. If Saniya Chong lives up to her billing this team could be the best offesive team in UConn history.

So, here is the dilemna for other teams: How are they going to keep UConn under 90 points?

KML - Best Shooter in WCBB 2012 - Present

Stefanie Dolson - Best Center in WCBB 2013-14

Bria Hartley - Tweeted she is feeling no ill effects of her injury from last summer, expects to be 100 percent - 2013-14

Breanna Stewart - Best Power Forward in WCBB - 2013-14

Moriah Jefferson - Most improved point guard in WCBB - 2013-14

Brianna Banks - 100 percent and ready to go in 2013-14

Morgan Tuck - The world of WCBB has not yet seen what Morgan can do...she will absolutely impress and amaze in 2013-14

Kiah Stokes - The "X" factor...if she plays to her potential in 2013-14...she will give a new meaning to the expression "Oh my God!"

Saniya Chong - A under-rated recruit, who has a tremendous work-ethic...who can flat out shoot the basketball, who is unselfish (averaged 9 assists per game) and who is extremely quick with the basketball. She will contribute this season and will help Kiah Stokes define the above listed expression...

UConn will be a defensive nightmare for teams next year. You will have 6'5" Dolson at the 5; 6'4" Stewart at the 4; 6'0" KML at the 3; Bria Hartley at the 2 and Moriah Jefferson at the 1. Then you have the luxury of bringing in 6'3" Kiah Stokes; 6'2" Morgan Tuck; the very quick and explosive Brianna Banks and the newbie Saniya Chong...no, dead wood during garbage time...

Offensively this team will be off the charts...consider that with only 9 players that Geno is going to have to play some of the starters for most of the game. He will always have at least one starter on the floor. It is going to be very difficult to keep this team under 80 points.

KML - 2012 season - 17.6 points 2013 - 20 points
Stewart - 2012 season - 13.8 points 2013 - 18 points
Dolson - 2012 season - 13.6 points 2013 - 15 points
Hartley - 2011 season - 14 points; 2012 - 9.2 points; 2013 - 14 points
Banks - 2012 season - 7.3 points; 2013 - 8 points
Tuck - 2012 season - 6.4 points; 2013 - 8 points
Jefferson - 2012 season - 4.1 points; 2013 - 7 points
Stokes - 2012 season - 2.8 points; 2013 - 5 points
Chong - 5 points (Jefferson averaged 4.1, Chong is much more offensively gifted)

Ruh oh...Reorge...that adds up to 100 points...there may not be enough basketballs to go around for this bunch....

Great Post Charlie...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
2 years at UConn, defending Grinder... that summer league is a piece of cake

Reaction Score
Pup, thanks for the links/articles. I wouldn't be surprised if Kiah scores 20 points in any game this year. She seems to be focused on improving her offensive game. We all know that she can play some D. Now if she gets that offense going.....look out. I believe she will be our Most Improved Player this coming year.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
"I wouldn't be surprised if Kiah scores 20 points in any game this year. She seems to be focused on improving her offensive game. We all know that she can play some D. Now if she gets that offense going.....look out. I believe she will be our Most Improved Player this coming year."

That would be a scary scenario...it would be the oppositions worse nightmare. Double figures: Dolson, Stewart, Stokes, Hartley, KML, Tuck...with Jefferson, Banks and Chong all scoring 5 or better... I have said it before...this team will be an offensive juggernaut, they will be hard to keep under 90 and they very well may be the best offensive team we have ever had. Put that together with a top 3 defensive team that creates offense with their defense and you could have a untamable monster.

Reaction Score
"I wouldn't be surprised if Kiah scores 20 points in any game this year. She seems to be focused on improving her offensive game. We all know that she can play some D. Now if she gets that offense going.....look out. I believe she will be our Most Improved Player this coming year."

That would be a scary scenario...it would be the oppositions worse nightmare. Double figures: Dolson, Stewart, Stokes, Hartley, KML, Tuck...with Jefferson, Banks and Chong all scoring 5 or better... I have said it before...this team will be an offensive juggernaut, they will be hard to keep under 90 and they very well may be the best offensive team we have ever had. Put that together with a top 3 defensive team that creates offense with their defense and you could have a untamable monster.

It's summer, so why not predict averaging 100/game, double/double averages for the starters and first three off the bench, frosh of the year, 6th player of the year and team of the millennium?

Mind you, I expect the team to make its 7th straight FF and likely 9th NC, but I also remember what it was like around here after that first loss to ND this past January. There are other good teams out there. I would expect some low scoring nail biters, and I can't rule out 1 or 2 losses along the way. Stuff happens, except in summer prognostication.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the links Huskypup !
Kiah was padding her rebounding stats bigtime !

I like Iowa wbb. They have 2 young guards coming in... Miss Iowa bb Ally Disterhoft, and highly rated and recruited Alexa Kastanek. With Samantha Logic at the point and Theirra Taylor that should be a formidable lineup.

Thaose were some very good players Kiah was playing against, and from what little I saw she was quite dominant.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
It's summer, so why not predict averaging 100/game, double/double averages for the starters and first three off the bench, frosh of the year, 6th player of the year and team of the millennium?

Yeah, why not? It is summer and this is the time for predictions. Besides I do feel that this team will be very difficult to hold the scoring under 90...too much fire power from every position as well as off the bench. No, I am not predicting the freshman of the year in Saniya Chong...haven't seen her enough to make that prediction. I am also not going to predict the 6th player of the year either...too many candidates and too many unknowns. The millennuim is a stretch but I do think the potential, I said potential is there for this to be the best offensive team in our history...easy way to tell...at the end of the season we take a look at their offensive average and compare.

Mind you, I expect the team to make its 7th straight FF and likely 9th NC,

We are in full agrement here.

but I also remember what it was like around here after that first loss to ND this past January.

With ND most of those losses were winable games and hence the reaction here on the boneyard....but last year's losses do not and should not hamper this year's pre-season exhuberance. This is the stuff that fandom is comprised of. It is one of the reasons we as UConn fans being spoiled as much as we have been have to audacity to make predictions in the first place.

There are other good teams out there. I would expect some low scoring nail biters, and I can't rule out 1 or 2 losses along the way.

Yeah, I suppose, but, very few here are planning on it, no one wants it, and the chances of it not happening are about 50 / 50 so we get to choose where we want to be on the subject.

Stuff happens, except in summer prognostication

Sure it does like, national championships, repeats, three-peats, undefeated seasons, sports dynasties...it is summer so why not come down on the positive side.

Reaction Score

Mind you, I expect the team to make its 7th straight FF and likely 9th NC, but I also remember what it was like around here after that first loss to ND this past January. There are other good teams out there. I would expect some low scoring nail biters, and I can't rule out 1 or 2 losses along the way. Stuff happens, except in summer prognostication.

Oh why not? It's fun and takes away from the dead time while we're not on vacation(s). ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom