A little shake and bake from KK Arnold | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A little shake and bake from KK Arnold

Reaction Score
CDR, I agree with everything you said here. That is why I ask the question……if not now, when?

This time last year I thought that senior ladened team had a better chance of winning it all than this one that lost 3 seniors. Even though that team lost the championship game, Looking back and looking ahead, I’m not so sure. This team is much deeper and a whole lot healthier than last year’s team.
100% in agreement!!!!

With the committed women joining next year, and the track record of always looking to "out do" the teams of the past, could this be the makings of a Five Year run of NC's [I will have to check in with you around April 15, 2027 & hopefully not before then to see if we are correct in our assessment]. I believe if UCONN dominates SC (or whomever beats them in the Final Four) for the NC this year, Boston heads to the WNBA, which then gives the nod to UCONN to repeat....

Winning: One play at a time, one game at a time...

All the Juniors NOW understand the part about "one play at a time" where each player is trying to win the play in front of them [with a team mentality] - whether it is on defense OR offense - and NOT taking any play 'off' is what it takes. Trusting that their bench strength is such that they will be able to get a breather and talk to coaches to refresh mind and body on the bench (NOT a negative to come to the bench while the game is being decided) will build the entire team much more quickly than ever before...

Only 120 days to go...to see "the beginning..."

Reaction Score
In addition to what everyone else said; UCONN loves to run. When you rub, there isn't always a big defending inside, so yes it's relevant. For example players like Dangerfield weren't physical enough. Others aren't quick enough. So not only can she pass when she gets in the lane, she is showing you her physicality. As a result, on fastbreaks you better have an athletic / physically strong enough guard able to defend her.
Most opposing teams do not have a fast, strong, and quick leaping guard. I like how KK finishes through contact. Power Forwards and Centers do not stand a chance, as they turn to help, KK dishes for a wide open shot OR forces contact and scores on a scoop shot "and one" - multiple ways for scoring three: old fashion and beyond the arc [for teammates or by herself].

Reaction Score
Sorry you took her reply that way, as MY HuskyNan is NEITHER snarky NOR snide. She is also NOT easily offended. I believe she changes her Avatar each time she is offended though, which explains the six different Avatars in the past two years...

Have a GREAT rest of the day, and an even better tomorrow!

Stay POSITIVE, don't sweat the small stuff, and I'm sure MY [and your] HuskyNan accepts your apology!

Reaction Score
When we have threads like this looking to the future I inevitably think we only have 2 more years of Paige. How to handle that? She holds out the carrot of 5 years, but I think that's a longshot.
Oh ye of little faith...

Paige may consider this past year through the lens of Dorka's quest for the NC in her fifth year to assist the younger Huskies to the "promised land" or the completion of "unfinished" business.

Enjoy the journey, and fear not! I am banking [fiscal word used & pun intented] on the Image & Likeness business to keep Paige with us, so the Paige & AZZI show can run four years together with BOTH of them healthy for three FULL years.

Those three years would be the next three years reesulting in three consecutive NC's, AND prove what would have been had they both been healthy this past year - at least in my mind... NOT that I would put a banner up for being Runners Up or anything like "could have been champions in 2022."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
100% in agreement!!!!

With the committed women joining next year, and the track record of always looking to "out do" the teams of the past, could this be the makings of a Five Year run of NC's [I will have to check in with you around April 15, 2027 & hopefully not before then to see if we are correct in our assessment]. I believe if UCONN dominates SC (or whomever beats them in the Final Four) for the NC this year, Boston heads to the WNBA, which then gives the nod to UCONN to repeat....

Winning: One play at a time, one game at a time...

All the Juniors NOW understand the part about "one play at a time" where each player is trying to win the play in front of them [with a team mentality] - whether it is on defense OR offense - and NOT taking any play 'off' is what it takes. Trusting that their bench strength is such that they will be able to get a breather and talk to coaches to refresh mind and body on the bench (NOT a negative to come to the bench while the game is being decided) will build the entire team much more quickly than ever before...

Only 120 days to go...to see "the beginning..."
I especially like the “win the play in front of you” concept. That type of thinking wins games, creates and extends win streaks and wins championships.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice KK Arnold story in the Athletic. Nothing earth shattering but always like to see kids who always wanted to come to UConn.

“When I was younger, that was like one of my top schools,” Arnold said of UConn. “The playing style I’m in right now in AAU and my coach, he’s kind of similar to Geno (Auriemma), so just that and then just wanting to be coached by Geno. And then be(ing) around great players like Paige (Bueckers), Azzi (Fudd) and all those great players that are there right now.”

Despite her sister’s Tennessee fandom, Arnold had an early goal of playing for UConn.

“She said, ‘Man, when I get older, I’m gonna play at UConn and I’m gonna play for Coach Geno and the environment is going to be electric,’” her mom, Kim Arnold, said.

Reaction Score
I love point guards that can penetrate but they also need to be able to knock down 3’s efficiently. KK will be another CW at best unless she also can shoot well from outside.

Reaction Score
Cue the criticisms of my analysis here ok. I’m used to it. Maybe KK has a great outside shot already but the book on her is to stop her drives to the basket first. If she can knock down the outside shot also she’s a potential AA. I love KK and only wish her the best. Seems like a terrific kid.

Reaction Score
Just musing on your observation, @TeamFirst!

CW was ranked #1 in her recruiting class, and she ended up starting at UConn as a freshman. That may have been too much of a burden for her. There were nights when she carried the team, and others when she struggled. KK shares some of the qualities of Christyn’s game. She’s not quite as creative a finisher at the rim, but she plays with huge confidence. She carries her hs team every game, which is probably what Christyn did in hs too. Evina’s game was a little like both of theirs at Tennessee — creative in the lane, good on D, and a good passer. She could also have off nights, but she had a knack for coming up big in the important games.

KK has an explosive first step like Christyn. Evina was quicker before her knee injury, but retained enough explosiveness to surprise on offense and defense. Ashlyn also has a bit of Evina in her — she’s strong enough to play above her height, and though she doesn’t seem quick she has a way of getting past defenders before they realize what’s happened.

When I think of Christyn’s best performances, my mind turns to the Iowa game two years ago in the sweet sixteen. She played awesome D against Clark, kept her from taking over the game, and still scored 27. Evina also played awesomely, with great D and clutch 3s and almost notched a triple double. This is what those two could do in a big game.

And in the Stanford game, at one crucial moment in the first half, Evina rained down three 3s in a row and it was like a body blow to Stanford’s confidence. We faltered a bit under the pressure in the 4th quarter, but still had just a little more than they did at the end.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom