A little shake and bake from KK Arnold | The Boneyard

A little shake and bake from KK Arnold

Reaction Score
Does anyone seriously think that the lane will be guarded by one small guard in big time college basketball?! The moves are impressive but irrelevant on the next level.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Does anyone seriously think that the lane will be guarded by one small guard in big time college basketball?! The moves are impressive but irrelevant on the next level.
Watch the Moriah video. And, KK is 5-6, taller than Lauren Park-Lane

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not necessarily - but doesn’t that usually result in an unguarded Husky lurking at the three point arc or another teammate breaking for the basket? I foresee a lot of “broken ankles” in our opponents’ futures.

Reaction Score
Who’s the last UConn guard that had moves like this?

I love the video. Thanks. And I look forward to seeing her play at UConn. But to answer your question, Paige, and at the moment Paige can do this and more at the college level.

Reaction Score
Paige is great in her own right, but her first step is not this quick. This is like Rory Harmon and Zia Cooke quick.
This is my sense of things, too. Paige is the greatest finisher at the rim in WCBB right now. But a quick first step is not her strength. She gets by people because they have to guard her too close to prevent the 3s.

I also agree that Harmon (or maybe Diamond Johnson) are the closest to KK's style of play, though she maybe finishes at the rim even better than they do. Zia has a quick first step, too. But I don't think she's this quick.

Reaction Score
This is my sense of things, too. Paige is the greatest finisher at the rim in WCBB right now. But a quick first step is not her strength. She gets by people because they have to guard her too close to prevent the 3s.

I also agree that Harmon (or maybe Diamond Johnson) are the closest to KK's style of play, though she maybe finishes at the rim even better than they do. Zia has a quick first step, too. But I don't think she's this quick.
How could I forget Diamond Johnson!

Reaction Score
The game against Texas A&M against her bff from high school is also a special one.

I love the moment in the SC game where Moriah's going full tilt down the court and puts the ball behind her back to avoid a defender without slowing down. She was special.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige has a very deceptive first step and can easily get by the first defender I am sure but with all the attention she attracts, does not often try to get to the rim (i.e draw a foul). because the other team will maul her. KK has a strong frame and clearly likes the contact so we see it so much more

Paige's preference is to use the picks for pick-roll actions and find seams for her mid range but I think we will see her drive numbers rise alot as she puts on that well publicized muscle.

I also think Azzi's first step cross 0ver is electric into her pull up.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Shake and bake has an actual meaning. In the video above, KK’s moves aren’t exactly a basketball shake and bake because that would mean moving the ball behind her back. See the video below.

The moves are shake and bake-ish but that makes for an awkward subject line on the post

Reaction Score
When I was a kid in the 60s-70s, on our playgrounds it merely meant going back and forth twice (eg. left-right-left) -- in other words, the first fake is actually the way you meant to go all along. The behind the back 'mustard' is a later addition. But times change, I guess. Now the vocabulary has become formalized into a jargon, and is no longer merely an argot.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Definitely has some reminiscences of MoJeff. Although Maya Moore was a fair bit taller, if memory serves she could also shake and bake with the best of them, in addition to hitting jumpers from basically everyone on the court...

Reaction Score
Paige is great in her own right, but her first step is not this quick. This is like Rory Harmon and Zia Cooke quick.
I was thinking about something more general than the first step or going to the rim. I understand what you mean.

This play by Paige from the championship game, not directly related to this thread, crosses my mind often. I think I'll ocassionally post it on the BY.

Reaction Score
Tsk tsk @ballerfan How wrong of you to post something about Paige on a UConn WBB thread.

2 things caught my eye about these awesome plays: 1) she does the first one while double-teamed by Boston; 2) no way Beal, and even Cooke or Henderson can run with her when she decides to take the team on her back. I hope she doesn't have to take the team on her back too often this year.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking [on some other thread] about whether SC will be able to keep up with our guards this year when they're all healthy. Thank goodness KK and Ashlynn will get a year [+1?] with Paige to see what unstoppable really looks like up close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom