OT: - A Husky In The House -- For REAL. | The Boneyard

OT: A Husky In The House -- For REAL.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
If I am thinking about getting a dog, a Husky could be the choice. What should I know about these beautiful animals? What is their disposition/personality? Do many Husky fans own Huskies? Let the useful advice flow, and thank you in advance for offering it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
You better not have any cats. Huskies like to eat cats. You also need to be very careful if any of your neighbors have cats. They are also very active and need plenty of space. Good luck!

Reaction Score
I have had a few beauties. Malmutes are also very close.
1. They like the cold. So not in areas without a good winter.
2. yes, they need space. Not good for small yards. Definitely not indoor animals.
3. Disposition is usually very friendly and easy to get along with others.
4. Exception: In 1972 I lived on 160 acres at 8,500' just above Espanola, NM. I had a 160 lb male. He could be a bit difficult at times, but mostly from memories of a previous owner who was a bit abusive. He played low post, and so could rise up on his hind legs and swat bb balls from the sky. He fouled often.

I would not hesitate if you live in the cold and have space he/she can play and roam.

We loved them, especially the kids.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yup - need space and are not happy in really warm climates. Good tempered but active and usually a bit rambunctious. Loyal and protective but not overly aggressive.

Reaction Score
If I am thinking about getting a dog, a Husky could be the choice. What should I know about these beautiful animals? What is their disposition/personality? Do many Husky fans own Huskies? Let the useful advice flow, and thank you in advance for offering it.

I have two...Bird and Lobo. They are awesome dogs to have. Like any puppy, they can be fun or a handful. Mine are super cool. They are pretty easy to train, at least mine were. The only major problems that I have had are, digging under the fence and escaping from their pins in the yard. But overall awesome and super cute. Bird is black and white with one blue eye and the other one is brown. Lobo is tan and white with blue eyes. They are sisters from the same litter.

Reaction Score
Yes, they need room to roam and won't be denied!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Google "are huskies considered an aggressive breed" Then decide.

Reaction Score
Good for you for researching what a dog is like before deciding to own one. Too often people like the look of a dog and are sadly surprised at the needs and personality once they own it.

IME, Huskies (including several breeds) are some of the most common owner-surrendered dogs at shelters. People like the look (or the team!) and they don't fully consider their lifestyle and abilities. The breeds are in the "working group" for a reason! They tend to be active and need a job - not often content to hang out in the house all the time. They need exercise at a level many families cannot provide. Without it, their chewing, digging, destructive tendencies can get out of hand.

Not usually people aggressive (though as a larger dog, bites can be more serious). They have a high prey drive. They might be okay with the cat they grew up with (or might not) but, given the chance, that drive often causes them to chase and kill cats, chickens and other livestock. So Huskies generally require a larger owner investment in care, control, and especially exercise to keep everyone happy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Google "are huskies considered an aggressive breed" Then decide.
The problem with those lists is that they are based on insurance companies risk assessments - and incredibly small and pretty rare occurrences - the number of human fatalities in a 20 year period - pitbull at 66 is probably rightfully a concern, and Rottweiler at 39 is also, but by the time you get down to #3 at 17 for German Shepherd it is less than 1 a year. There are 3.5M AKC registered German Shepherds in the US which means there are probably more likely twice that number pure or near pure. So a fatality rate of less than 1 in 6,000,000 per year.
Given bad owners and bad breeders and semi-feral dog populations it is a meaningless number and would be similar to saying ban all under 25 and over 65 year old drivers from the roads because they are responsible for a higher percentage of road fatalities that rise to more than 1 in 6,000,000 road fatalities every year.

Reaction Score
We had a Husky for 15 years. They are a beautiful, intelligent, athletic breed. As previously noted, they are not for everyone. They have wanderlust. We got to know all the animal control officers in a 10 mile radius whenever she got loose. They are small animal agressive with the exception of the cats she grew up with. She shed a large garbage bag full of fur every year.

Our next dog was an Australian Shepherd that was so great that we have stayed with that breed since then.

Reaction Score
I've never owned a husky, but I've been to loads of dog parks with my dogs and have interacted with huskies and have watched them. Personally, I would not have one. They are pack dogs and are accustomed to slugging it out to determine who is top dog. Everything other have said about the dogs needing a job is true, but when you consider a husky, layer on top of that the fact that most that I've seen -- not all, but most -- just behave differently than other large dogs. I attribute that to their competitiveness and pack behavior. I could be wrong -- often am -- but IMHO if you think you are acquiring a pet, you could be in for a really negative surprise.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Good info. Given my circumstances, I think I will let this one pass me by. My two cats will thank me.
The problem with those lists is that they are based on insurance companies risk assessments - and incredibly small and pretty rare occurrences - the number of human fatalities in a 20 year period - pitbull at 66 is probably rightfully a concern, and Rottweiler at 39 is also, but by the time you get down to #3 at 17 for German Shepherd it is less than 1 a year. There are 3.5M AKC registered German Shepherds in the US which means there are probably more likely twice that number pure or near pure. So a fatality rate of less than 1 in 6,000,000 per year.
Are there statistics for the number and severity of attacks not resulting in death? Number of attacks on other pets in the same household or a neighboring household? Attacks not resulting in injury (close calls)? Bottomline: the Husky is an aggressive dog typically placed in the top 5 most aggressive dog breeds. If insurance companies are calling out huskys and not collies, then they must have enough claims to warrant differentiation. Know what you are getting and take appropriate precautions. Get pet rock! Of couse if there is an aggressive person in the house ... Maybe a pet pebble. ;)

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
My daughter has a half-breed huskie (see my avatar) who is a sweetheart. But she sheds like there is no tomorrow.

We had some huskies (pure bred) as neighbors - lovely critters but they tended to howl quite a bit. I've heard that is a tendency of the breed but haven't researched this, and haven't met enough to know on my own.

And yes, good for you for asking beforehand.

Reaction Score

Get a Samoyed--beautiful personality , beautiful looking, easy to handle--caring, protective, obedient--easily train-able. I owned 2-- an adult and a pup---I was the envy of my street--I'd slide (sled) down hills with that pup between my legs--and he'd pull my sled up the hills at age 4 months. Most people don't know the difference and called Samoyed's --Siberian Huskies--or Huskys--they ain't cheap to buy--but most pure bred dogs are costly.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

Neighbors have two and tell me that Huskies are quickly bored. When that happens they chew on whatever is close; shoes, furniture, carpet, etc. If you want an absolutely outstanding dog consider a shih-tzu.

Reaction Score
I have two...Bird and Lobo. They are awesome dogs to have. Like any puppy, they can be fun or a handful. Mine are super cool. They are pretty easy to train, at least mine were. The only major problems that I have had are, digging under the fence and escaping from their pins in the yard. But overall awesome and super cute. Bird is black and white with one blue eye and the other one is brown. Lobo is tan and white with blue eyes. They are sisters from the same litter.

As in everything--with pets--training is everything. Dogs will do what you can make them understand what you want and expect---they want to please. Love them and they will love you back----I've learned so much about human relationships from my dogs. They respond to caring and understand much better than punishment--usually punishment is administered long after the offense--and they have no idea why they are now being punished. You need to be firm and consistent in your training. I have for a long time believed before Humans become parents they must first raise a dog or two to learn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Get a Samoyed--beautiful personality , beautiful looking, easy to handle--caring, protective, obedient--easily train-able. I owned 2-- an adult and a pup---I was the envy of my street--I'd slide (sled) down hills with that pup between my legs--and he'd pull my sled up the hills at age 4 months. Most people don't know the difference and called Samoyed's --Siberian Huskies--or Huskys--they ain't cheap to buy--but most pure bred dogs are costly.
Another shedder. Beautiful dogs but you need to vacuum a lot.

Reaction Score
Yes, then we are the UCONN Samoyed!
Ugggg...
I didn't know UConn was looking for a replacement for Jonathan. Couldn't pick a better replacement---Did they change the dog with the logo change??

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
husky.jpg

Bad temperament? Me?​

Reaction Score
Yes, then we are the UCONN Samoyed!
Ugggg...
To be factual the whole post was: Get a Samoyed--beautiful personality , beautiful looking, easy to handle--caring, protective, obedient--easily train-able. I owned 2-- an adult and a pup---I was the envy of my street--I'd slide (sled) down hills with that pup between my legs--and he'd pull my sled up the hills at age 4 months. Most people don't know the difference and called Samoyed's --Siberian Huskies--or Huskys--they ain't cheap to buy--but most pure bred dogs are costly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom