A Geno tease on Azzi | The Boneyard

A Geno tease on Azzi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The big East tournament… Azzi will return
So why now? Why not next year? This team shall need a new mind set, a new set of game plans , do 20 per cent more scoring, and 90 percent fewer turnovers, and 20 percent more Rebounds to be in the FF---or the key to most NC-s (so says Geno)---lots of LUCK.

Reaction Score
So why now? Why not next year? This team shall need a new mind set, a new set of game plans , do 20 per cent more scoring, and 90 percent fewer turnovers, and 20 percent more Rebounds to be in the FF---or the key to most NC-s (so says Geno)---lots of LUCK.
they still have a chance to do some damage in the big tournament with Azzi's return..........Geno wouldn't be playing her if he thought it would damage her knee further......

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She’s already lost the year, no redshirt, and she’s a competitor who wants to play. As long as she’s cleared she should play

Reaction Score
I’m confused… why wait till next year if she’s ready this year!? Did you question Paige’s return last year? This team doesn’t need a “new”… they need reassurance… if they’re having a bad night/day, someone will have their back. Azzi will give them that. Besides… she can’t redshirt so if she can play she may as well

Reaction Score
Finishing the season will be important for her going forward, no if’s, and’s, or but’s.

Reaction Score
It’s three weeks until the tournament. Unless she has a setback, she’s playing.
Agreed! She is Paige's BFF, and her example rings true that a game to test things out, with 4.65 days before the next game is key to being ready for St. john or Marquette on Sunday, with only one day between games will be key.

At least in the NCAA's you have 5 and 2 days between games...

Reaction Score
Agreed! She is Paige's BFF, and her example rings true that a game to test things out, with 4.65 days before the next game is key to being ready for St. john or Marquette on Sunday, with only one day between games will be key.

At least in the NCAA's you have 5 and 2 days between games...
There are no "day between games" in the BE tourney. Everybody plays at least 3 consecutive days until elimination. If UConn wants to get to the tournament final, they will have to play next Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

The Saturday game will have a rested UConn squad against a team (either Butler or Georgetown) that will have played the day before. Sunday will be the first real test, against either St. John's or Marquette (the only BE teams to have beaten us this year).

If Azzi is going to be ready for the BE tourney, I'd guess she might make a token appearance on Saturday, and hopefully be ready for hard knocks on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I really want Azzi's health to improve so she can play in the Big East and/or the NCAA Tournament!
BUT, the word is she's only been able to work with Coach Valley on the sidelines!
That's a long way from full all out work in normal practices let alone in real games!
It'll take at least 7 to 10 days of all out practice to get her ready for game shape.
No one wants her to come back not in top shape and worsen the condition of her knee! Geno wouldn't allow that anyway!
Time is running out as she can't improve to full practicing yet!
So she'll need almost a miracle to make it back this year!
As I said, I really hope so, but the pieces better get put together real quick to make this become a reality!

Reaction Score
They (or any team) will surely need lots of luck to reduce turnovers by 90%! I think you’ve gone off the rails with that expectation. I’m fairly confident that between Azzi, Caroline, and a more normal minutes distribution, we can accomplish the 20% scoring increase. Unfortunately, I’m not as confident on the rebounding. I do think that will improve, but who knows how much? As for that, I think it’s likely that turnovers will go down some as well, just not 90%!
The point is, Azzi’s possible/likely return will affect everyone on the team! Her presence (assuming she plays at 75-90% of the level we have seen before) will lift this whole team up! It will dramatically decrease the pressure on everyone else, especially Lou and Nika. There will be more room for Aaliyah and Dorka in the paint, teams won’t be able to brutalize Lou constantly, Nika will have a huuuge weight lifted off of her shoulders (both physically and mentally), we will once again see that great chemistry Azzi has with Dorka, Caroline will feel less pressure, as she will no longer be the only scoring option off the bench, and finally, Azzi will provide a huge boost of confidence for the entire team! Even Geno and the staff will feel better!
Of course, this is all contingent on how she plays and if she can get most of that joy of playing back. She loves to play and though she is obviously uber talented I think that (like Paige) joy is a central part of her game. I have faith in her and believe she would not come back at all, if she were not sure of herself. If she plays at Xavier or even the first game of the Big East Tournament, I think a lot of teams are going to sit up and start paying attention to a UConn team most of them had already dismissed as no longer constituting a threat.
Buckle up UConn fans, things may get pretty exciting very soon!

JBK

Reaction Score
I’m confused… why wait till next year if she’s ready this year!? Did you question Paige’s return last year? This team doesn’t need a “new”… they need reassurance… if they’re having a bad night/day, someone will have their back. Azzi will give them that. Besides… she can’t redshirt so if she can play she may as well
Agree. These athletes work their entire life for a chance to win a National championship and she may only have 2 attempts at it. It would be torture if she was physically able to play and someone says too bad

Reaction Score
There are no "day between games" in the BE tourney. Everybody plays at least 3 consecutive days until elimination. If UConn wants to get to the tournament final, they will have to play next Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

The Saturday game will have a rested UConn squad against a team (either Butler or Georgetown) that will have played the day before. Sunday will be the first real test, against either St. John's or Marquette (the only BE teams to have beaten us this year).

If Azzi is going to be ready for the BE tourney, I'd guess she might make a token appearance on Saturday, and hopefully be ready for hard knocks on Sunday.
The BE tournament schedule could hardly be worse for a team in our condition. This is the one time during the entire season that having a deep bench is most critical. Winning the BE tournament was probably considered a given at the beginning of the season, but now we are probably vulnerable in the second round of it. Azzi certainly makes a difference there.

Yes the other teams face the prospect of three games in three days too, but they aren't playing a rotation of 6. Using Ayanna to make it 7 helps, and if Azzi could make it 8 then that disadvantage is minimized quite a bit. It will be interesting to see how Geno manages minutes regardless of who he has available. I probably dread this conference tournament more than any I can think of over the years. We can win it of course, but the challenges have probably never been greater.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I really want Azzi's health to improve so she can play in the Big East and/or the NCAA Tournament!
BUT, the word is she's only been able to work with Coach Valley on the sidelines!
That's a long way from full all out work in normal practices let alone in real games!
It'll take at least 7 to 10 days of all out practice to get her ready for game shape.
No one wants her to come back not in top shape and worsen the condition of her knee! Geno wouldn't allow that anyway!
As I said, I really hope so, but the pieces better get put together real quick to make this become a reality!
It’s AZZI. If Geno puts her on the court, even if she doesn’t shoot much she’ll draw double teams which would free up Lou. Lou starts making threes and Aaliyah and Dorka will have more room in the lane.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Just a quick comment on Azzis "I'll be ready when I'm ready" comment. Did she really say that, was it taken out of context, who did she say it to? I believe if she did say that it came with a little "attitude." That would be frustration on her part. How many times do you think she has been asked when she would be back? Geno gets sarcastic if he is asked the same question over and over. We have asked this question a hundred times, me included. Azzi is a basketball nut, and it must be killing her to be sitting out. I know time is running out since she will need time to get acclimated again to her teammates, but I am also sure she is doing whatever she can to get ready to come back. We have to be patient and she will decide when the time is right. I feel our frustration, but Azzi will not let us down, and hopefully we will see her during the BE tournament.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just a quick comment on Azzis "I'll be ready when I'm ready" comment. Did she really say that, was it taken out of context, who did she say it to? I believe if she did say that it came with a little "attitude." That would be frustration on her part. How many times do you think she has been asked when she would be back? Geno gets sarcastic if he is asked the same question over and over. We have asked this question a hundred times, me included. Azzi is a basketball nut, and it must be killing her to be sitting out. I know time is running out since she will need time to get acclimated again to her teammates, but I am also sure she is doing whatever she can to get ready to come back. We have to be patient and she will decide when the time is right. I feel our frustration, but Azzi will not let us down, and hopefully we will see her during the BE tournament.
She was paraphrased by Geno, who’s been known to indulge in a little hyperbole

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The difference between this year and past is that the program is releasing much less information as to details of injury, status of players, activity level, etc. And in a prior thread, I opined that I like it that way. The press is allowed to observe practices, but all of them? I don't know. The UConn program has always kept its stuff in house. None of us know what's going on behind the scenes as to the content/volume/quality of her workouts. Is she in true game shape? Maybe not, however 15-20 mins of Azzi is better than none. Maybe she doesn't need to play 30+ mins. Lastly, in addition to keeping most of the team's status quiet this season, it also provides a challenge to opponents as to prep and scouting.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Azzi is in her game uniform wearing a game-ready knee brace. I wish she had worn that the first time she tried to comeback.

1677426773497.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown